Q&A with Stephen Hill

flgreen

Jets summer Q&A with WR Stephen Hill

Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger By  Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger  

Follow on Twitter

on July 01, 2013 at 11:47 AM, updated July 01, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We continue our summer Q and A series with Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill. Hill had a tumultuous rookie season. He scored two touchdowns in his debut then struggled for the rest of the season. He's been hampered during the spring as he comes off knee surgery.

Obviously you're in a different situation now than you were last summer, no longer a rookie and with a season under your belt, what's the biggest difference for you heading into this season?

Basically, the biggest difference is that I'm going to train with (Antonio Cromartie) and get that good training in. Other than that, I'm just looking forward to just being in the midst of everything and going against the defense when they're giving us looks I've never seen before. They've done a great job, they're definitely pushing us.

Did Cromartie invite you out there to California?

Coach Dennis told me to go out there. I was like 'OK, I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.' And I saw the way Cro, during camp last year, I saw his work ethic and how he lasted all year without missing practice. I know that's what I need. I really need that type of workout.

Has there been anyone who has jumped out at you during OTAs or mini-camp who you think might have a breakout season?

A lot of the guys like Demario (Davis), (Quinton Coples), Aaron Berry, a lot o guys. Ellis Lankster. Some of us are going out there to work with Cro. So we always have that little group together to push each other. That'll definitely make us better.

Are you going to be the only wide receiver out there?

I'm going to be the only wide receiver to be there. There will be some pack mentality and that's good. It'll make me better. Especially during training camp.

When I first read that Hill was going out to extra camp with the DB's I was some what baffled.  What was he going to get out of that?  Why not work out with a WR? 

Then it dawned on me that there really aren't many vet WR's on the team he can learn from.  Kerley's about the only one.  Plus the fact that any WR wouldn't be really interested in helping Hill take his job.

A vet like Cro really doesn't have any agenda, other then if Hill succeeds, the team has a better chance to succeed.  A vet DB will recognize flaws in a WR very quickly.

Cro's camp is a month long, not 3 days.  That's significant.  Hill is actually getting two real camps.

In hindsight this is an excellent idea.   I really hope Hill can turn into an NFL WR.  He has all the physical skills to be very good.  Maybe Cro can help him

When I first read that Hill was going out to extra camp with the DB's I was some what baffled.  What was he going to get out of that?  Why not work out with a WR? 

Then it dawned on me that there really aren't many vet WR's on the team he can learn from.  Kerley's about the only one.  Plus the fact that any WR wouldn't be really interested in helping Hill take his job.

A vet like Cro really doesn't have any agenda, other then if Hill succeeds, the team has a better chance to succeed.  A vet DB will recognize flaws in a WR very quickly.

Cro's camp is a month long, not 3 days.  That's significant.  Hill is actually getting two real camps.

In hindsight this is an excellent idea.   I really hope Hill can turn into an NFL WR.  He has all the physical skills to be very good.  Maybe Cro can help him

Exactly, I completely agree.  Plus, if he really wants, he'll already be out west so it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to duck out for 3 days and join the rest of the offense if he thinks it will be worthwhile.  If nothing else, it looks like Hill is showing commitment in trying to get better and you can't complain about that.  If Hill learns how to be able to effectively beat a guy like Cro in coverage, he'll be in pretty damn good shape when lining up against most of the league's CBs.  Cro is definitely one guy at the position who Hill can't count on being more athletically gifted than.

I think this is a way of avoiding going to Jets West or to Geno's camp if he holds one. I don't see why a WR wouldn't want to work with his QB to gain some chemistry. Geno is still mum on whether or not he's going out West with Mark or if he will go home and study. I actually feel a little bad for Hill, but you gotta go somewhere to workout. He went neutral.

Think the media will pick up on this? Or am I just being cynical? 

I think this is a way of avoiding going to Jets West or to Geno's camp if he holds one. I don't see why a WR wouldn't want to work with his QB to gain some chemistry. Geno is still mum on whether or not he's going out West with Mark or if he will go home and study. I actually feel a little bad for Hill, but you gotta go somewhere to workout. He went neutral.

Think the media will pick up on this? Or am I just being cynical? 

It was mentioned above that he could easily do both.  Cro has rented a huge house for a month.   Sanchez's camp is only 3 days.

This

And say what you want about Cromartie off the field being stupid with some of his financial, and raw dogging any lady willing to let him.  This dude works out like a beast, the biggest thing that stood out to me on Hard Knocks in 2010 was the quick piece they did on Cro before camp started, him running sprints with the Tractor Tire tied to his waist, and you could tell he was really starting to take his profession serious, making it a 365 job, and even thou he had a billion kids he also seemed to look a little more mature, settling down with the last girl he knocked up, and spending a lot of family time with them, you have never heard once about Cro out partying till 4 AM, or even any violent episodes.  Cromartie might not be the smartest guy when it comes to personal life decisions, but he is not a gang banging thug, or a partying irresponsible drunk/drug abuser.

I first thought of course Cromartie is going to train like this he is on a contract year (back in 2010), but he has not let up one bit even after signing that lucrative deal after the strike in 2011, and his play has followed with this premise, if he can get Hill to understand, and realize no matter how athletic you are if you don't work hard year round, and condition your body to take the beating an NFL player will take your going to wake up one day traded to another team for a bag of footballs carrying the label of an underachieving PUSSY with EXTREME athletic ability.  Cromartie is the perfect person to take this lesson from, he has as much if not more pure talent, and Athletisism then Hill, not many guys on the Jets can say that (actually no one on the Jets other than Cro can say that sadly), if Hill listens he can avoid learning this lesson the hard way like Cro did, and become a top WR in this league by 2014 IMO!

Don't forget Cromartie is still the best healthy WR on the Jets if you ask him lol, and he probably is right

I'm glad he's getting in shape but he already was a freak. He needs to spend a few hours a day catching a football.

There has to be a coach/trainer out there that specializes in teaching recievers how to catch.

It has to be a mental or concentration thing.

Under the new CBA there can't be a coach there.  Goofy rule

Under the new CBA there can't be a coach there.  Goofy rule

True, there can't be an actual NFL coach there, but there wouldn't be anything to stop any of the players from hiring a third party to help with any sort of training or coaching if they thought it worthwhile.  It would be no different than Sanchez's offseason fling with Jeff Garcia.

True, there can't be an actual NFL coach there, but there wouldn't be anything to stop any of the players from hiring a third party to help with any sort of training or coaching if they thought it worthwhile.  It would be no different than Sanchez's offseason fling with Jeff Garcia.

yep, but the player usually has to go to one of these football schools like TEST, as Sanchez did.  To bring a top flight WR in, on site, for a month, to help train Hill would cost mega money.  Hill doesn't make $8,500,000 a year the way Sanchez does so this is an issue. 

I suppose he could get his old HS coach to come in very cheaply, but is that really going to help him?  Hill needs to working in front of one of those Jugs machines, catching 500 balls a day.  He might be

Under the new CBA there can't be a coach there. Goofy rule

I didn't mean a Jets coach I meant a professional trainer. Like when shaq hired a guy to teach him how to shoot free throws. Which did help a little even though he still sucked.

He could hire a high school coach since that about the level of his catching ability.

I seen a high school coach that put numbers on the ends of the football so the receiver had to look the ball into his hands and call out the number. That's about the level Hill is at.

Archived