NY Jets Week One Starting Quarterback: Geno Smith

JetNation

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we should fear starting Geno right away because of Sanchez.  QB's who have what it takes to play in this game don't get "ruined" because they start from Week 1.  Sanchez didn't work because he sucked.  That would have been the case whether we started him Week 1 of 2009 or Week 1 of 2011.

I don't think we should fear starting Geno right away because of Sanchez.  QB's who have what it takes to play in this game don't get "ruined" because they start from Week 1.  Sanchez didn't work because he sucked.  That would have been the case whether we started him Week 1 of 2009 or Week 1 of 2011.

Correct - see Matt Leinart case file.

I get what you're saying, and I don't think there needs to be this definitive stance that Geno absolutely cannot start week one no matter what.  That said, I think it's a different story if the coaching staff feels he isn't quite ready yet, and still needs some work on the basics of being able to effectively play the position at the NFL level.  As others have said, if he can't even beat out Sanchez in camp, that would be a pretty strong indication that he's not quite ready.  Trust me, I'd like nothing more than to never have to see Sanchez on the field for the Jets ever again, but at this point the Jets' focus when it comes to the QB position needs to be more about what they feel is best for Geno than anything else.

Meh, I'm not so sure about this one.  In the long term I don't think anyone would argue with this theory, but for week one in it is far from a sure thing.  The simple reason why is that this team, at QB, has absolutely become all about doing what is best for Geno Smith.  If they believe that Geno isn't going to be ready for week 1 and that throwing him out there anyway has the potential to hurt him more than it helps, they'll suck it up and throw Sanchez to the wolves for a while until they think Geno is ready.  Forget Rex, guys like Idzik and Mornhinweg aren't going to be willing to see this team start repeating the mistakes made before they were around.  The Jets gave Sanchez the starting job on a silver platter in his rookie year, with absolutely no real competition or need for him to earn the job, a decision I think they have no intention of repeating with Geno.

At this point Sanchez is still around simply to be a potential placeholder, and that's only because the hope of Garrard being that guy didn't work out for them.  Sanchez has no long-term future with this team, but as much as I hate the idea of ever seeing him out on the field again, there's still a chance the team could feel it is in their best interests to go with him first, not because of what he brings to the table, but simply because it might be the right decision for Geno.  This so-called "competition" isn't really designed to show the team which is the better QB, it's designed to show the team whether or not Geno is ready to be a starting QB in the NFL right now.  That will be the one and only thing that will drive this team's decision-making process.

This.

:sign0098:

week 2 is thursday night @ NE. that could be a career ruiner for a not yet ready rookie. 

Agreed.  I think the tough early schedule will be a big part of their decision making process, which will tilt it in favor of Sanchez.

Agreed.  I think the tough early schedule will be a big part of their decision making process, which will tilt it in favor of Sanchez.

Or perhaps they will do a revolutionary  thing for the NFL, and let the best player start

Or perhaps they will do a revolutionary  thing for the NFL, and let the best player start

Yep, could be.  I think this season and the following offseason is going to be very interesting.  We'll see which young players are gonna help us going forward, what kind of GM Idzik proves to be, whether Rex stays or goes, and at least start finding out whether Smith is the answer at QB or not, if not making that determination.

Just curious where that Russell Wilson kid dropped to? Guess he wasn't ready to start either.

That "where he dropped to" line of thought is getting old.  Usually if a QB is taken later in round 1 it's because some team traded up to grab him.  Otherwise that part of the draft is largely filled with teams that already have their starting QBs.  In a deep draft where trading down didn't net teams nearly as much as it did in the past, a lot of team stayed pat instead of trying to accumulate picks that weren't there.  Some teams were willing to take less (like Dallas & Buffalo), but most were not.

Sometimes you gamble correctly, that the QB you want will still be there, and sometimes you don't and someone leapfrogs you (as this happened to us with Favre).

So while, as a generality, better players were better prospects with fewer red flags and therefore get taken higher.  But that doesn't mean that players taken slightly lower are less talented.  Everything is about risk, since there are lots of talented players (some who will pan out and some who will not).  Geno had some warning signs as I understand it (couple of choke games, texting in draft meetings) and lots of teams stayed away earlier-on.  That's understandable, especially since GM job security isn't that great for a lot of teams (especially for losing teams who could use a QB). Taking a QB that early doesn't merely mean you like the QB.  It means you are betting 2-3 seasons on him since QBs don't get rotated on & off the field like with other positions.  

This notion that some shortcomings in a few games in college mean this is the individual's ceiling, and that he's destined to have a worse career than someone else, is ridiculous.  Smith will be a success or a failure based on his ability, not based on some GMs' assumed risks with their first round picks.  But it's not like he dropped to round 4 (nor would he have), and people who use this rationalization on players seldom bring up all the 1st round busts or massive reaches that teams draft year after year.

But it's not like he dropped to round 4 (nor would he have), and people who use this rationalization on players seldom bring up all the 1st round busts or massive reaches that teams draft year after year.

It also should be noted that all draft classes are not equal. Russell Wilson fell to 3 in a QB class that was the best since 1983. Geno was the supposedly best (actually 2nd selected) QB in a class that was unpredictable at best. Not all drafts are equal. When people compare who got picked where it neglects context of the individual draft. The NBA draft recently had an "off" crop. Another example, Vernon Gholston wouldn't have been a top 6 pick in a normal quality draft.

It also should be noted that all draft classes are not equal. Russell Wilson fell to 3 in a QB class that was the best since 1983. Geno was the supposedly best (actually 2nd selected) QB in a class that was unpredictable at best. Not all drafts are equal. When people compare who got picked where it neglects context of the individual draft. The NBA draft recently had an "off" crop. Another example, Vernon Gholston wouldn't have been a top 6 pick in a normal quality draft.

No one would have been surprised if he went in the top 10, or even #1.  Frankly it was more surprising that he fell as far as he did.

With QBs, it's a lot for a GM when they're drafting early.  It's not like other positions that can be rotated in & out of the lineup.  Take one early and you're more or less committing to that guy as your starter for at least 2 years.

As such, a guy like Wilson was a low risk, and no matter what people say I will never believe he would have been taken in round 1 in a weak QB class like this one.  Never.  No GM is going to do take a 5'10" tall QB in round 1 & assume that type of risk to his career.  But round 3? Even if he only becomes a career backup it's not ideal but there are worse ways of using a 3rd round pick.  Starting him over Flynn wasn't risky because they were both already on the team for weeks & weeks & Carroll started who he felt was the better of the two.  If a prototypical QB busts it can be rationalized & you say no one has a crystal ball.  But if you draft a shrimp and he isn't all that you look like the acme of idiots and you'll never get another GM job ever again, and it will be held against you for the rest of your career/life.

Geno was in between.  The best QB in his class, but not one without warning signs.  Would he have dropped to round 4 a year earlier? A guy who was very much talked about as the #1 pick even after the combine was over? Not impossible, but I really doubt it.

And it's only the "best QB class since 1983" based on outcome.  On their respective draft days, the draft that was "THE QB draft" & the best since 1983 was 1999.  Hindsight has changed the drafts' respective rankings.

But in a DEEP QB draft, one billed as being far better than 2012 (at their respective times), Cade McNown was taken 10th in the country and Akili Smith was taken 3rd overall.  Don't tell me about what GMs know and what they don't.

No one would have been surprised if he went in the top 10, or even #1.  Frankly it was more surprising that he fell as far as he did.

With QBs, it's a lot for a GM when they're drafting early.  It's not like other positions that can be rotated in & out of the lineup.  Take one early and you're more or less committing to that guy as your starter for at least 2 years.

As such, a guy like Wilson was a low risk, and no matter what people say I will never believe he would have been taken in round 1 in a weak QB class like this one.  Never.  No GM is going to do take a 5'10" tall QB in round 1 & assume that type of risk to his career.  But round 3? Even if he only becomes a career backup it's not ideal but there are worse ways of using a 3rd round pick.  Starting him over Flynn wasn't risky because they were both already on the team for weeks & weeks & Carroll started who he felt was the better of the two.  If a prototypical QB busts it can be rationalized & you say no one has a crystal ball.  But if you draft a shrimp and he isn't all that you look like the acme of idiots and you'll never get another GM job ever again, and it will be held against you for the rest of your career/life.

Geno was in between.  The best QB in his class, but not one without warning signs.  Would he have dropped to round 4 a year earlier? A guy who was very much talked about as the #1 pick even after the combine was over? Not impossible, but I really doubt it.

And it's only the "best QB class since 1983" based on outcome.  On their respective draft days, the draft that was "THE QB draft" & the best since 1983 was 1999.  Hindsight has changed the drafts' respective rankings.

But in a DEEP QB draft, one billed as being far better than 2012 (at their respective times), Cade McNown was taken 10th in the country and Akili Smith was taken 3rd overall.  Don't tell me about what GMs know and what they don't.

Nice Post. Spot on.

That "where he dropped to" line of thought is getting old.  Usually if a QB is taken later in round 1 it's because some team traded up to grab him.  Otherwise that part of the draft is largely filled with teams that already have their starting QBs.  In a deep draft where trading down didn't net teams nearly as much as it did in the past, a lot of team stayed pat instead of trying to accumulate picks that weren't there.  Some teams were willing to take less (like Dallas & Buffalo), but most were not.

Sometimes you gamble correctly, that the QB you want will still be there, and sometimes you don't and someone leapfrogs you (as this happened to us with Favre).

So while, as a generality, better players were better prospects with fewer red flags and therefore get taken higher.  But that doesn't mean that players taken slightly lower are less talented.  Everything is about risk, since there are lots of talented players (some who will pan out and some who will not).  Geno had some warning signs as I understand it (couple of choke games, texting in draft meetings) and lots of teams stayed away earlier-on.  That's understandable, especially since GM job security isn't that great for a lot of teams (especially for losing teams who could use a QB). Taking a QB that early doesn't merely mean you like the QB.  It means you are betting 2-3 seasons on him since QBs don't get rotated on & off the field like with other positions.  

This notion that some shortcomings in a few games in college mean this is the individual's ceiling, and that he's destined to have a worse career than someone else, is ridiculous.  Smith will be a success or a failure based on his ability, not based on some GMs' assumed risks with their first round picks.  But it's not like he dropped to round 4 (nor would he have), and people who use this rationalization on players seldom bring up all the 1st round busts or massive reaches that teams draft year after year.

:good:

I think if Geno is the better quarterback in training camp and the preseason, start him. I don't agree with the idea that he can be "ruined". There are plenty of quarterbacks that have not had stellar starts to their careers that have gone on to be quite the opposite of ruined.

Usually, in my perception at least, most guys  are "ruined" by (one or a combination of) three things:

1) They were ruined at birth by their own lack of skill and never had any skill to ruin in the first place.

2) Their offensive lines are mediocre to terrible.

3) They are asked to do too much.

I think Geno will be working with a good offensive line (top third of the league, perhaps). I also think the defense and running game will keep us in a position where he is not asked to carry the offense. Under these conditions combined with the throws you're asked to make in the WCO,  it would give Geno an better opportunity to learn on the job instead of holding a clipboard and a bag of popcorn and the Jets a chance to evaluate him fairly.

I think Geno will be working with a good offensive line (top third of the league, perhaps). I also think the defense and running game will keep us in a position where he is not asked to carry the offense. Under these conditions combined with the throws you're asked to make in the WCO,  it would give Geno an better opportunity to learn on the job instead of holding a clipboard and a bag of popcorn and the Jets a chance to evaluate him fairly.

The Jets are replacing both guards. They may eventually be upgrades, but it's going to take a little time to gel. The Jets are planning on having a running game, but if there's no threat of a pass it's going to be difficult to establish. Throw in the fact that the early part of the schedule is the hardest part, and you can start to see that the early part of the year is going to be tough on any QB.

You may have an idea of what ruins a QB, but you never know. Geno doesn't come to the team with a reputation for mental toughness. Shielding him while the OL and running game gets up to speed, and the season's toughest opponents get out of the way is probably a very good idea. Let him get his feet wet once the rest of the offense is up and running.

Rex  will go with Sanchez to start and then work Smith in later after he falters-  the betting is on this scenerio

They've already hinted at a Kaepernick-like package for Geno to work him in sooner rather than later, something I'm somewhere between ambivalent about and completely against. But I definitely think they plan to start Sanchez, and work Geno in as quickly as they can.

The Jets are replacing both guards. They may eventually be upgrades, but it's going to take a little time to gel. The Jets are planning on having a running game, but if there's no threat of a pass it's going to be difficult to establish. Throw in the fact that the early part of the schedule is the hardest part, and you can start to see that the early part of the year is going to be tough on any QB.

You may have an idea of what ruins a QB, but you never know. Geno doesn't come to the team with a reputation for mental toughness. Shielding him while the OL and running game gets up to speed, and the season's toughest opponents get out of the way is probably a very good idea. Let him get his feet wet once the rest of the offense is up and running.

They've already hinted at a Kaepernick-like package for Geno to work him in sooner rather than later, something I'm somewhere between ambivalent about and completely against. But I definitely think they plan to start Sanchez, and work Geno in as quickly as they can.

I would be against trying to make him a runner read option QB.

I would be against trying to make him a runner read option QB.

Yeah. I understand trying to get him some snaps, but trying to make him something he's clearly not is just dumb - and could wind up getting him killed.

I see your point about the offensive line. Probably just a lot of wishful thinking on my part.

Agreed.  Also giving him a chance to learn the offense so he doesn't have to think too much and can relax and let his talent take over is a good idea, as is giving him a chance to work though his footwork and any other fundamentals issues first is a very good idea.  Both things will help him be more confident, feel less pressure, and improve his chances of succeeding.  In spite of what some fans say, at present, there is not one valid reason for rushing him into starting if he isn't ready.  Not one.

Agreed.  Also giving him a chance to learn the offense so he doesn't have to think too much and can relax and let his talent take over is a good idea, as is giving him a chance to work though his footwork and any other fundamentals issues first is a very good idea.  Both things will help him be more confident, feel less pressure, and improve his chances of succeeding.  In spite of what some fans say, at present, there is not one valid reason for rushing him into starting if he isn't ready.  Not one.

Other than Rex starting the best QB in training camp to save his ass, no.

Other than Rex starting the best QB in training camp to save his ass, no.

If Sanchez knows the offense better than Smith and Smith is still struggling with his footwork and other fundamentals, then at this point,as hard as it is to say, Sanchez is the better QB or at least the better prepared to handle starting.  If Smith knows and is able to handle a significantly smaller portion of the offense, I cannot imagine Mornhinweg or Rex starting Smith and limiting the whole offense to only running a small portion of the offense.

Besides, until I see/hear Rex say that he no longer believes that Sanchez gives him and the team the best chance to win, and Smith is actually starting, I can't believe that Rex would abandon Sanchez even though part of him may want to.

Yeah, I think the training camp battle will be kind of analogous to boxing in that you are going to have to beat the champ handily to take the belt, so to speak.

But Sanchez isn't a "champ".  It took injury for Kapernick to take over Alex Smith's starting job because Smith had done well.  There's no incentive to start a sh*tty Sanchez other than the whole "Geno needs to sit and wait" philosophy.  

At this point I think Geno will take over during the season probably mid way through.

As for the stats in the Original post they are basically meaningless to any QB. When a QB has to throw much more than his average he is usually playing from behind to begin with and he's most likely facing some type of prevent defense inflating his stats. Most of the time when a QB is in this situation he loses . Its much better to judge a QB in games that are close where a balanced offense is in play. Only problem is when Sanchez plays in this situation of coming from behind he still can't  put together a solid drive. Recent events with Sanchez have me questioning his dedication and maturity. When you play as bad as he did last year you would think  he takes this off season very seriously but that does not seem to be the case, even after a poor performance in OTA's and Mini camps. Lerning a new offense requires a lot of study from a QB he needs to know ALL the plays and What every player is doing yet he finds time to party and act like an idiot ? Sorry but while some may find his partying to be a small issue I find it to be a big one and Im beginning to lose respect for him by the day. 

At this point I think Geno will take over during the season probably mid way through.

As for the stats in the Original post they are basically meaningless to any QB. When a QB has to throw much more than his average he is usually playing from behind to begin with and he's most likely facing some type of prevent defense inflating his stats. Most of the time when a QB is in this situation he loses . Its much better to judge a QB in games that are close where a balanced offense is in play. Only problem is when Sanchez plays in this situation of coming from behind he still can't  put together a solid drive. Recent events with Sanchez have me questioning his dedication and maturity. When you play as bad as he did last year you would think  he takes this off season very seriously but that does not seem to be the case, even after a poor performance in OTA's and Mini camps. Lerning a new offense requires a lot of study from a QB he needs to know ALL the plays and What every player is doing yet he finds time to party and act like an idiot ? Sorry but while some may find his partying to be a small issue I find it to be a big one and Im beginning to lose respect for him by the day. 

+1

After last season, you'd think he would stay out of the limelight.  He's either immature, or he knows his 15 minutes is almost up, and is enjoying it while he still can.

But Sanchez isn't a "champ".  It took injury for Kapernick to take over Alex Smith's starting job because Smith had done well.  There's no incentive to start a sh*tty Sanchez other than the whole "Geno needs to sit and wait" philosophy.  

I just meant in regard to the mitigating factors involved with starting a rookie, Geno Smith will have to be far superior to Sanchez for Rex to consider starting him when the lights come on for real.

I just meant in regard to the mitigating factors involved with starting a rookie, Geno Smith will have to be far superior to Sanchez for Rex to consider starting him when the lights come on for real.

Maybe.  I just can't imagine Rex is going to be stubbornly loyal to Sanchez when there's a decent chance the kid is getting him fired after the season.  New regimes mean new QB's and Rex HAS to recognize this.  If Sanchez starts Week 1 he'd better have a very short leash unless Geno is simply overwhelmed by NFL defenses (in which case he's probably not the guy anyways and it'll be nice to have a large sample size to go on heading into the 2014 draft).

Maybe. I just can't imagine Rex is going to be stubbornly loyal to Sanchez when there's a decent chance the kid is getting him fired after the season. New regimes mean new QB's and Rex HAS to recognize this. If Sanchez starts Week 1 he'd better have a very short leash unless Geno is simply overwhelmed by NFL defenses (in which case he's probably not the guy anyways and it'll be nice to have a large sample size to go on heading into the 2014 draft).

That's really the dilemma, isn't it? It's not in Rex's interest to try and develop Geno, but if he thinks this team is destined for four wins regardless, he could potentially play Geno and pin all the losses on having a rookie QB. This might come down to Idzik forcing Rex's hand as to who starts Day One, because Rex has conflicting interests here.

That's really the dilemma, isn't it? It's not in Rex's interest to try and develop Geno, but if he thinks this team is destined for four wins regardless, he could potentially play Geno and pin all the losses on having a rookie QB. This might come down to Idzik forcing Rex's hand as to who starts Day One, because Rex has conflicting interests here.

It's win-win or lose-lose for Rex depending on your viewpoint.  Idzik probably wants the best guy to start Week 1, but if that isn't clear, what's in the best interests of the team, Rex, and Idzik?  Is it a "tie goes to Sanchez" by default, or is it "tie goes to Geno", since a rookie QB being equal to the 4-year starter makes Geno the better choice?

Too many variables to really say which way this goes with any certainty.

It's win-win or lose-lose for Rex depending on your viewpoint. Idzik probably wants the best guy to start Week 1, but if that isn't clear, what's in the best interests of the team, Rex, and Idzik? Is it a "tie goes to Sanchez" by default, or is it "tie goes to Geno", since a rookie QB being equal to the 4-year starter makes Geno the better choice?

Too many variables to really say which way this goes with any certainty.

Idzik has no inherent interest in seeing Sanchez take another snap for the team--he's not giving him another contract anyway. That said, Idzik has a great interest in making sure Geno doesn't get killed right away. If the offense looks like everyone thinks it's going to look like (especially early on), then Idzik--and Idzik alone--is going to have to decide what's in Geno's best long-term interests. There's a difference between letting a young QB take his lumps and letting him get his head beat in on an offense that's not ready to compete.

Idzik has no inherent interest in seeing Sanchez take another snap for the team--he's not giving him another contract anyway. That said, Idzik has a great interest in making sure Geno doesn't get killed right away. If the offense looks like everyone thinks it's going to look like (especially early on), then Idzik--and Idzik alone--is going to have to decide what's in Geno's best long-term interests. There's a difference between letting a young QB take his lumps and letting him get his head beat in on an offense that's not ready to compete.

I think the offensive line SHOULD at least be able to keep the kid upright, which is half the battle.  Moving the sticks is another story entirely.

Idzik may be Rex's boss but Woody is Idzik's boss. And Woody has a lot more invested in Sanchez than in Geno Smith.

I think a "tie" definitely goes to Sanchez for this reason and because of team morale reasons. Sanchez does have friends on the team, and players I'll bet don't (as a group) think highly of losing their jobs to players who haven't outperformed them in direct competitions.

I despise seeing Sanchez out there. And IMO as long as he's on the team he's the incumbent starter and he doesn't lose his job to someone who hasn't beaten him out for the job.

But I can understand the rationale that if they're tied now that means Geno is already better.

Archived