Reasons for optimism

stoicsentry

Here are some links:  http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents/

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/3/4389870/nfl-free-agency-2014-preview-offense-michael-vick-jay-cutler-maurice-jones-drew

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/4/4389342/2014-nfl-free-agency-preview-looking-at-the-top-defensive-players

(The lists are too long to post)

Taking a quick, cursory look, at WR, it looks like the only two really good ones that I see who may be available at Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin, but I would be surprised if either makes it to FA.  AT OT and TE there are a number of big name players who could be available, but the list isn't very exciting overall.  If that list is accurate, it's typical of our luck that the Jets would have a ton of cap space and there wouldn't be a lot of very good or great players on the list at positions of need.

No problem with the idea, but IMO looking at FAs a year or two out is impossible.  Guys that are headed to FA almost certainly won't (Nicks) but tons of other guys will be cap casualties or up for trade.  Many of those guys will be older guys on their way out (maybe think Boldin) but another subset will be guys coming to the end of their deals with teams that don't expect to sign them (think Cromartie, Holmes and Braylon).  You can often get those guys cheap and you have either a one year rental or can sign them to an extension. Some of those guys will be worth going after and locking up.  The key is picking the right one (ie not Holmes) to pay.

I think it's a 3 year re-build anyway. I believe Idzik when he said he drafted for talent, not need. But it's hard to ignore the pattern. With the exception of Milner, everyone was sort of a core player: QB, OL, DL. I'm guessing that was the plan:

2013: Build the core: OL, DL, QB = Rebuilding.

2014: Add skill position players all around them = Rebounding.

2015: Finishing touches = Contention.

It's a shame because if Sanchez wasn't such a total bum, if he was just up to the level of a Joe Flacco or something, then we wouldn't need to rebuild the whole team like this.

We have no one in jail for a murder charge ,the defense should be good , Now the Jets have 2 starting QB's and Rex will not wait to pull the QB if he playing poorly and this can get any worst than last season , if the Jets are real bad we get a good shot at a blue chip QB

IMO the reason for optimism on the offense is THROWING THE BALL TO THE BACKS.  I have no idea why they didn't do more of it. I understand not throwing to Greene, but why not the others?  It should be a designed part of the offense.  McKnight is no great back, but most LBs will have big trouble sticking with him. Having more designed passes to the backs should take some pressure off the running game, WRs and QB.

Dangerous throws for a QB like Sanchez.  He already has a hard enough time avoiding lineman but if he misses, its an easy pick six which he's already very good at.

No problem with the idea, but IMO looking at FAs a year or two out is impossible.  Guys that are headed to FA almost certainly won't (Nicks) but tons of other guys will be cap casualties or up for trade.  Many of those guys will be older guys on their way out (maybe think Boldin) but another subset will be guys coming to the end of their deals with teams that don't expect to sign them (think Cromartie, Holmes and Braylon).  You can often get those guys cheap and you have either a one year rental or can sign them to an extension. Some of those guys will be worth going after and locking up.  The key is picking the right one (ie not Holmes) to pay.

I was thinking the same thing.  There are a ton of players not on this list with a couple of years left on their contract that they know they will never see.  The number of players available will be much greater than these lists. 

IMO the reason for optimism on the offense is THROWING THE BALL TO THE BACKS.  I have no idea why they didn't do more of it. I understand not throwing to Greene, but why not the others?  It should be a designed part of the offense.  McKnight is no great back, but most LBs will have big trouble sticking with him. Having more designed passes to the backs should take some pressure off the running game, WRs and QB.

Problem is those interceptions will be guaranteed 6 points for the other team with nothing but empty field and endzone in front of them.

All kidding aside, I agree it's likely to help, but he still won't be good.  We didn't have him throw to the backs in '09 and '12, but did in '10 and '11.  So while technically he was better on paper when we did, he was still a pretty bad QB with a low completion percentage no matter what.

Yeah the list of reasons is a mile long. The Championshiop rosters are almost completely gutted, our playmakers all retired, cut, hurt or traded, and we drafted no offense in top rounds since 2008. Excuse me, gotta wipe the jizz out of my shorts, I can barely contain myself

Dangerous throws for a QB like Sanchez.  He already has a hard enough time avoiding lineman but if he misses, its an easy pick six which he's already very good at.

Problem is those interceptions will be guaranteed 6 points for the other team with nothing but empty field and endzone in front of them.

All kidding aside, I agree it's likely to help, but he still won't be good.  We didn't have him throw to the backs in '09 and '12, but did in '10 and '11.  So while technically he was better on paper when we did, he was still a pretty bad QB with a low completion percentage no matter what.

You guys both seem to think I'm talking about Sanchez.  In my opinion, he is irrelevant.  My point was that throwing to the backs is a way to counteract all the WEAPONZ talk.  It will help whoever is there and take pressure off of everybody else.  Seemed to me Mornhinweg likes to throw to them and I think the guys they have now can catch.  That will help whoever is QB.  It won't make them Montana, but it shouldn't hurt. 

Personally I always want to throw it deep, but I altered my theory a bit in a cheesy Italian flag game when I threw a 3 yard dump off down 2 with 6 seconds to go on 2nd down and 10 from my own 25 that Davide took to the house.  It was funny seeing the yardage totals for that game and I was still credited with a 75 TD pass.  To his credit the kid was begging me to give it to him - he had just bought these strange magnetic bracelets that he promised brought him "Power AND Balance" the only two words he said in English.  

Yeah the list of reasons is a mile long. The Championshiop rosters are almost completely gutted, our playmakers all retired, cut, hurt or traded, and we drafted no offense in top rounds since 2008. Excuse me, gotta wipe the jizz out of my shorts, I can barely contain myself

Huh?  While they may not have worked out (yet), Sanchez, Vlad, Hill, and of course Geno all were drafted in the first two rounds since then.  Depending on your definition of "top rounds", they also drafted Greene and Winters in the third and McKnight and Powell in the fourth.  None of this is to say that Tanny didn't do an awful job of drafting for offense coming into this year, but that's certainly different from saying the team simply didn't even try to do it.

Huh? While they may not have worked out (yet), Sanchez, Vlad, Hill, and of course Geno all were drafted in the first two rounds since then. Depending on your definition of "top rounds", they also drafted Greene and Winters in the third and McKnight and Powell in the fourth. None of this is to say that Tanny didn't do an awful job of drafting for offense coming into this year, but that's certainly different from saying the team simply didn't even try to do it.

Yes, all very compelling points. Call me when Boston Authorities name Brady the Bay Harbor Butcher.

Any objective view of the Jets situation in the AFCE has to appreciate but question the Jets defense, (backfield), and conclude that our optimim stems not as much from additions to our roster ,( save for good lines and dynamic running backs)but reductions in the Patriots playmakers. You can still bank on the Bills sucking ass and for a couple more years, the Dolphins not being competitive. Do I think my argument above may be enough to pull it off? Maybe. Especially at 18-1

Ok reasons to be optimistic - this past year's draft - I think the best we had in a long time - I think the 1st 3 picks were genius...

Ok reasons not to be optimistic - this past year's draft - name one player currently on the roster that is a certifiable playmaker outside of Jeremy Kerley?

You guys both seem to think I'm talking about Sanchez.  In my opinion, he is irrelevant.  My point was that throwing to the backs is a way to counteract all the WEAPONZ talk.  It will help whoever is there and take pressure off of everybody else.  Seemed to me Mornhinweg likes to throw to them and I think the guys they have now can catch.  That will help whoever is QB.  It won't make them Montana, but it shouldn't hurt. 

Personally I always want to throw it deep, but I altered my theory a bit in a cheesy Italian flag game when I threw a 3 yard dump off down 2 with 6 seconds to go on 2nd down and 10 from my own 25 that Davide took to the house.  It was funny seeing the yardage totals for that game and I was still credited with a 75 TD pass.  To his credit the kid was begging me to give it to him - he had just bought these strange magnetic bracelets that he promised brought him "Power AND Balance" the only two words he said in English.  

Yeah but it still isn't going to help Sanchez's lack of weapons.  I don't know if you considered that.

Yeah but it still isn't going to help Sanchez's lack of weapons.  I don't know if you considered that.

agree sperm

i am hoping a better run game will make the WRs better by less massive coverage if u know what I mean

agree sperm

i am hoping a better run game will make the WRs better by less massive coverage if u know what I mean

*sigh*

Didn't have you pegged as one for whom jokes would fly over his head.  And the joke was for the eye-talian flag football player anyway.  Boooo you.

*sigh*

Didn't have you pegged as one for whom jokes would fly over his head.  And the joke was for the eye-talian flag football player anyway.  Boooo you.

been awhile for a bit..

u think sanchez has ANY hope of recovering w/WCO/marty? Any chance?

*sigh*

NOT FAIR!!!  I played full equipment tackle until at 44 years old!  I just didn't QB.  I only QB'd the flag team.  Different  seasons.  Outreach to get school kids interested, coached the junior teams.  They have a full on women's tackle league now, but I haven't seen any clips of them playing. 

been awhile for a bit..

u think sanchez has ANY hope of recovering w/WCO/marty? Any chance?

No.  He merely will be less awful.  But he is not an NFL starting QB.

We drafted a bust.  Sucks, but it happens.  What doesn't usually happen is someone compounding the error by giving the guy an unnecessary extension worthy of a top-10 player.

No.  He merely will be less awful.  But he is not an NFL starting QB.

We drafted a bust.  Sucks, but it happens.  What doesn't usually happen is someone compounding the error by giving the guy an unnecessary extension worthy of a top-10 player.

in that case, we have no choice but to justt pull plug asap

Any objective view of the Jets situation in the AFCE has to appreciate but question the Jets defense, (backfield), and conclude that our optimim stems not as much from additions to our roster ,( save for good lines and dynamic running backs)but reductions in the Patriots playmakers. You can still bank on the Bills sucking ass and for a couple more years, the Dolphins not being competitive. Do I think my argument above may be enough to pull it off? Maybe. Especially at 18-1

I actually bet $200 yesterday on it.

More then likely won't cash, but the odds are certainly right

I think it's a 3 year re-build anyway. I believe Idzik when he said he drafted for talent, not need. But it's hard to ignore the pattern. With the exception of Milner, everyone was sort of a core player: QB, OL, DL. I'm guessing that was the plan:

It's a shame because if Sanchez wasn't such a total bum, if he was just up to the level of a Joe Flacco or something, then we wouldn't need to rebuild the whole team like this.

Basically, I agree with this, although I think it may be a 2-year rebuilding rather than a 3-year.

That theory only works if geno can play and from all accounts that a big if!!

My prob with the jets is they should just cut Sanchez and move on and see if geno can play the problem in a football season is if we are 2 and 6. Half the players give up cause they don't want to hurt themselves ! Then you don't get a full view if geno is good

If only our QB was as good as the $120M man?

Maybe the Jets should buy them some of those magnetic bracelets.   :winking0001:

You aren't kidding

Oh, don't get me wrong, we'll probably suck this year. But it sure looks like we'll be set up nicely for 2014.

We'll have a top 10 pick. So if Geno is legit, we'll have flexibility there. If he sucks this year, we can use that pick for a QB.

We'll have an O-Line that needs maybe 1 more piece, a D-Line that is young, talented and improving and our corners are set.

We'll certainly have a lot of weaknesses, but again we'll have a top 10 pick, we should have TONS of $$$ to spend and say what you want about Woody Johnson but he has rarely failed to spend, so we should be big time players in free agency.

Agree/disagree?

really on Defense, other than our safeties. I don't see many weaknesses. on offense we have what I'm hoping is going to be a Stud at RB in Chris Ivory. Our O-line didn't get credit for how good they were last year and they only got better this off season. 

we got a good TE if he can stay healthy, same with our Wr's. if Holmes comes back and is the old SOB he was. (as a player, not Him! LoL) and if Hill can catch the damn ball! We know what we have in Kerley. so Other than The SANCHIZE!! I think we look pretty good. If Geno is legit and gets to play this year I think we'll at least be at .500 or (don't bash me for this) even have a *GULP* winning record. we also might even be able to do this with Sanchez.

Really guys, our team doesn't look that bad! if our Defense does what it's capable of, they will win us a few games!

Archived