Devils Kovalchuk retires- leaves 77 million dollars off the table

faba

ya Kovalchuk says he's retiring
Updated: July 11, 2013, 5:07 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

New Jersey Devils star Ilya Kovalchuk, who has 12 years remaining on a massive contract, announced his retirement Thursday.

The Devils released the stunning news in a statement, saying that the 30-year-old Kovalchuk had alerted them earlier this year that he wanted to return home to Russia with his family after 11 seasons in the NHL.

The move is more surprising because Kovalchuk signed a $100 million, 15-year contract in 2010. The Devils can void the remaining $77 million on the contract when Kovalchuk's retirement becomes official.

"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," Kovalchuk said in a statement released by the team. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou [Lamoriello, general manager] was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

Lamoriello, the Devils president and general manager, said he had been talking with Kovalchuk about his decision to retire from the NHL.

"After many conversations with Ilya over the past year on his desire to retire from the National Hockey League, Ilya's decision became official today," Lamoriello said in a statement. "On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Ilya and his family all the best in their future endeavors."

Kovalchuk scored 417 goals and registered 816 points in 816 career games with the Devils and Atlanta Thrashers. He was the first Russian player selected first overall when he was taken by Atlanta in 2001. He was acquired by the Devils in February 2010, then signed his revised massive contract seven months later.

Kovalchuk represented Russia at three Winter Olympic Games, nine World Championships, one World Junior Championship and the 2004 World Cup. He played in the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg during the recent lockout and was selected the team's captain. He participated in the KHL All-Star Game before returning to New Jersey for the lockout-shortened, 48-game regular season, a campaign in which the Devils missed the playoffs.

The Devils released the stunning news in a statement, saying that the 30-year-old Kovalchuk had alerted them earlier this year that he wanted to return home to Russia with his family after 11 seasons in the NHL.

...I don't understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived