flgreen

Examining the Jets-Long Island issue

July, 15, 2013

Jul 15

5:49

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

While I was on vacation ...

The Jets announced their training-camp schedule and, in a surprise, they eliminated the annual night practice at Hofstra -- an insult to their Long Island fan base. When they left Hofstra after the 2008 preseason, the Jets promised to maintain a connection to Hofstra (their home for 40 years) and their Long Island roots. They did it in 2009 and 2010, making the bus trip to Long Island, but 2011 was rained out and 2012 was cancelled because of the presidential debate at Hofstra -- or so we were told.

The team released a statement on the decision to skip Hofstra, saying, "Although our plans did not materialize this year, it is nonetheless an ongoing priority for us" -- meaning hosting events and practices on Long Island and Queens. The statement didn't say why it didn't happen this year; a team spokesman declined to elaborate. Over the years, I've heard coaches and players call it an inconvenience, a disruption to the training-camp regimen.

Personally, I think it's a small price to pay. For many fans, this was their only chance to see the Jets in training camp. Upstate Cortland is at least four hours from Long Island, and Florham Park, N.J., where they will hold an open practice Aug. 21, is a two-bridge commute. Some Long Island-based fans are upset. One of the fan web sites, JetsInsider.com, organized a online petition that produced nearly 200 signatures from folks that want to see the team on Long Island, if only for a cameo appearance.

It's not like the Jets are unwanted. Stony Brook University, about 35 miles east of Hofstra, is also willing to host them for a practice this summer, according to Jim Fiore, the school's director of athletics. Stony Brook has upgraded its facilities in recent years and would be a terrific, fan-friendly location. If it's too late for this training camp, it's something to consider down the road. The school would love to be part of the Jets' future. The team's contract with Cortland expires this year, it should be noted.

A goodwill trip to Long Island would be a nice PR move at a time when the the Jets could use the positive publicity. Here's an idea: Buy a bull and turn him loose on the field. That would surely attract Rex Ryan.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the years, I've heard coaches and players call it an inconvenience, a disruption to the training-camp regimen.

Personally, I think it's a small price to pay.

"Sure, the coaches and players hate it, but what about the fans who I suddenly care about now that they can be used to make the Jets look bad?"

One of the fan web sites, JetsInsider.com, organized a online petition that produced nearly 200 signatures

ngbbs42bd67f355412.gif

what issue ?

the jets and the NFL take a dump on the fans every day.  we're used to it.

and dick, with technology and automobiles, any fan with the desire can follow the jets just fine

heck, back in 1982 I used to survive with 4 paragraphs in a newspaper

"Sure, the coaches and players hate it, but what about the fans who I suddenly care about now that they can be used to make the Jets look bad?"

ngbbs42bd67f355412.gif

Totally agree.  It is disruptive to the team.  that is why they aren't going out there.  I don't care where they practice.  What I want is for football operations to have the say in this and not marketing.  The Jets got this one right.  Cimini wirting about a Long Island issue is weak.

Totally agree.  It is disruptive to the team.  that is why they aren't going out there.  I don't care where they practice.  What I want is for football operations to have the say in this and not marketing.  The Jets got this one right.  Cimini wirting about a Long Island issue is weak.

Cimini's writing is weak period

I never understood the Cortland thing- I'm almost certain that Cortland is in the Bills TV market. Not very well thought out.

The point is that it has nothing to do with the fans in the area, the team could clearly care less.  It's about intentionally heading away from the area so everyone is staying together and isolated from the other distractions that might exist if they were back home.  It's a fairly common practice amongst a lot of teams.  Frankly, you can't really blame them for any of that.  Sure, it's great if they have days they let the fans show up and check things out, but that really is not their concern for training camp and shouldn't be.  The only focus needs to be about what is best for the team, nothing more.  If going around to different areas isn't a problem for them then that's great, but if they think that it is than they need to figure out whatever works best and stick with that.

Didn't he threaten to quit or say he wasn't going to make the trip if they moved to Florham Park.  I'm still upset that piece of sh*t didn't get fired for that BS tweet he said about Jane McManus.  He's just a dick.

The point is that it has nothing to do with the fans in the area, the team could clearly care less.  It's about intentionally heading away from the area so everyone is staying together and isolated from the other distractions that might exist if they were back home.  It's a fairly common practice amongst a lot of teams.  Frankly, you can't really blame them for any of that.  Sure, it's great if they have days they let the fans show up and check things out, but that really is not their concern for training camp and shouldn't be.  The only focus needs to be about what is best for the team, nothing more.  If going around to different areas isn't a problem for them then that's great, but if they think that it is than they need to figure out whatever works best and stick with that.

Sure feels like they know what they're doing! Let's see how it's worked out for the last couple of years ...

Sure feels like they know what they're doing! Let's see how it's worked out for the last couple of years ...

I didn't say it worked, I just said that's the plan.  In the end, it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't have the players to win.  Call me crazy, but I doubt moving training camp to a new site every 3 days would have been the secret to turn around those past two seasons and magically make Mark Sanchez not a horrendously awful QB.  In the end, the point is they really don't give a crap who sees them practice, and they really have no reason that they should.

Long Island did it to themselves. Its a pain in the ass getting in and out of there. Hofstra doesnt even have their own team anymore. Cortlandt's a great venue anyways.

The Giants aren't going to Albany this year- they're practicing year round in Jersey. They dont make an annual trip to Pace either, and the Mara's live in Westchester.

Long Island did it to themselves. Its a pain in the ass getting in and out of there. Hofstra doesnt even have their own team anymore. Cortlandt's a great venue anyways.

The Giants aren't going to Albany this year- they're practicing year round in Jersey. They dont make an annual trip to Pace either, and the Mara's live in Westchester.

Don't you understand?  The Jets owe it to Long Islanders!  We're the most important people, living in the most important place, on the face of the earth.  

Woody Johnson is the Devil.

I never understood the Cortland thing- I'm almost certain that Cortland is in the Bills TV market. Not very well thought out.

Cortland is centrally located between Syracuse and Binghamton, about three/four hours away from Buffalo. Because of all the colleges in the area, there are a ton of metro-area transplants living there. You're more likely to meet Giants fans there than Bills fans.

Cortland is centrally located between Syracuse and Binghamton, about three/four hours away from Buffalo. Because of all the colleges in the area, there are a ton of metro-area transplants living there. You're more likely to meet Giants fans there than Bills fans.

Plus their facility for a D3 school is state of the art.

I didn't say it worked, I just said that's the plan.  In the end, it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't have the players to win.  Call me crazy, but I doubt moving training camp to a new site every 3 days would have been the secret to turn around those past two seasons and magically make Mark Sanchez not a horrendously awful QB.  In the end, the point is they really don't give a crap who sees them practice, and they really have no reason that they should.

I'm probably being too critical of them here, but, I'm a fan advocate and believe if the team wants to continue flourish, they should give back whenever they can, even if it's a slight pain in the ass. Institutions that lose their fan base eventually end up leaving in search of new fans - LA Rams, STL Cardinals, CLE Browns, BAL Colts.

I'm probably being too critical of them here, but, I'm a fan advocate and believe if the team wants to continue flourish, they should give back whenever they can, even if it's a slight pain in the ass. Institutions that lose their fan base eventually end up leaving in search of new fans - LA Rams, STL Cardinals, CLE Browns, BAL Colts.

I think they have an agreement at metlife for 30 - 50 years

everything will be ok

Don't you understand?  The Jets owe it to Long Islanders!  We're the most important people, living in the most important place, on the face of the earth.  

Woody Johnson is the Devil.

LOL, you get unbanned for simply disagreeing?

Didn't he threaten to quit or say he wasn't going to make the trip if they moved to Florham Park.  I'm still upset that piece of shit didn't get fired for that BS tweet he said about Jane McManus.  He's just a dick.

In one of the chats here he said that he wouldn't cover the Jets if they ever moved to NJ.  We have it on record.  :)

I guess he isn't a man of his word.

ngbbs42bd67f355412.gif

100% on point description of Cimini's intentions! Why!.....Why would you have a TMZ reporter like this writing for an established sporting news agency on a team he doesn't even like?? Beyond Ludicrous.

Did you know that the Cowboys traditionally hold their training camp in Oxnard, CA? They've been doing it for years. 

When they don't hold it there they do it in San Antonio, which is four hours from Dallas and only 2-1/2 hours from Houston. 

Training camp location has nothing to do with TV markets. There is literally no connection whatsoever. 

Well, two years ago they didn't go because of the lockout. 

The first two years they went to Cortland for TC they wound up going to the AFC Championship Game. Last year was the only time they've missed the playoffs when they went to Cortland for TC. I'd say overall it's been a good choice. 

None of those teams moved because they lost their fan bases. 

Archived