Cimini: Examining The Jets-Long Island Issue

flgreen

Meh- not all. My rents bought a house in Westchester(Pleasantville) in 79 and the property taxes have basically quadrupled. Once my sister finishes college they are out. Westchester has always been affluent, but the last 10 years or so....its become one big reality show. 

Well obviously not for everyone (my parents are also looking to leave), but for a lot of people it doesn't matter. I mean when you're talking about Harrison, Rye, Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Mt. Kisco, Bronxville - you know, the people that wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills - how many of those people really have to give a **** what their property taxes are? Or can't afford to go on vacation? They don't want to share a beach with you, they want a private one.

That said, I still prefer Westchester to LI. I don't like it there at all...although if I was super rich I'd live in the Hamptons.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well obviously not for everyone (my parents are also looking to leave), but for a lot of people it doesn't matter. I mean when you're talking about Harrison, Rye, Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Mt. Kisco, Bronxville - you know, the people that wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills - how many of those people really have to give a **** what their property taxes are? Or can't afford to go on vacation? They don't want to share a beach with you, they want a private one.

That said, I still prefer Westchester to LI. I don't like it there at all...although if I was super rich I'd live in the Hamptons.

No you are 100% correct. 

My great grandparents had beach front property in Rye eons ago. They sold it of course. Nice going.

Haha.  My Dad goes to the beach EVERY day from 4th of July to Labor Day. He pays $20 for a beach pass, walks a quarter mile onto the beach and can barely see another person.  He's been doing it for at least 50 years.  I think the property taxes are about $5k for 3/4 of an acre.  It's quite nice now that we've gotten the damn squirrels to stay out of the roof in the winter.

Also, there is a pretty big difference between the beach in the Hamptons and in Westchester.  If you are looking to go boating you might prefer Westchester, but we prefer the surf, so I wouldn't trade it. 

Why would you go to Riverhead?  The mall?  Slip 'n Slide or whatever the hell they call it? I have a place just past and don't go there much.  It's like 10 minutes from Hampton Bays and then another five or so to the beach. 

I have family in Hampton bays, where are you ?

Why would you go to Riverhead? The mall? Slip 'n Slide or whatever the hell they call it? I have a place just past and don't go there much. It's like 10 minutes from Hampton Bays and then another five or so to the beach.

I grew up in Riverhead. You two shut your filthy mouths.

I left about 3 days after graduation and never looked back.

I have family in Hampton bays, where are you ?

I have people in Hampton Bays too.  We are in the slums of Flanders.  Home of the Big Duck.  Not the greatest spot, but I think my grandfather paid $1200 for the place and it's technically in South Hampton.

I grew up in Riverhead. You two shut your filthy mouths.

I left about 3 days after graduation and never looked back.

Blue ******* Wave!

Can someone recap all the people here that have connections in the Hamptons?

I want to know who I should be nice to.  Thanks.

You want to visit?  It's like hoarder paradise out there, but my mom can really cook.

Back to the subject of this article, check out this link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414939,00.asp

Basically...

If you're an NFL fan in Nassau County [Long Island, NY], chances are you support the New York Jets. The bad news is that the western tip of Long Island is the only strip of turf in the country where you make up the majority and you're surrounded on all sides by a sea of Giants, Patriots, Steelers, and Eagles fans.

The only place on planet Earth that actually prefers the Jets to all other NFL teams should be given a little preferential treatment by said NFL team, IMHO.

Back to the subject of this article, check out this link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414939,00.asp

Basically...

If you're an NFL fan in Nassau County [Long Island, NY], chances are you support the New York Jets. The bad news is that the western tip of Long Island is the only strip of turf in the country where you make up the majority and you're surrounded on all sides by a sea of Giants, Patriots, Steelers, and Eagles fans.

The only place on planet Earth that actually prefers the Jets to all other NFL teams should be given a little preferential treatment by said NFL team, IMHO.

I mean is one practice a season going to make that much of a difference?

Basically...

By the corporate offices?  Absolutely.  By the football operations?  They've got more important things to worry about.

By the corporate offices?  Absolutely.  By the football operations?  They've got more important things to worry about.

They could've, and should've, kept training camp on Long Island. I get moving regular season practice closer to the stadium where they enjoy second class status -and always will- but training camp on LI would be no less convenient for the team than training camp in Courtland.

Signing that deal with the Giants and moving camp off the Island was a kick in each nut to the core of their fans.

They could've, and should've, kept training camp on Long Island. I get moving regular season practice closer to the stadium where they enjoy second class status -and always will- but training camp on LI would be no less convenient for the team than training camp in Courtland.

Signing that deal with the Giants and moving camp off the Island was a kick in each nut to the core of their fans.

Cortland draws a ton of people. As much as Hofstra did, if not more. Its a better location, better facility, nicer town. I really dont see it as that big on an issue. 

Does Hofstra even upkeep their football facility anymore? The teams been gone for like 5 years now.

Cortland draws a ton of people. As much as Hofstra did, if not more. Its a better location, better facility, nicer town. I really dont see it as that big on an issue. 

Does Hofstra even upkeep their football facility anymore? The teams been gone for like 5 years now.

Stony Brook wants them, and they've been building up their football program. They were in the mix when the Jets said FU to Long Island and moved to Courtland.

Stony Brook wants them, and they've been building up their football program. They were in the mix when the Jets said FU to Long Island and moved to Courtland.

The Jets arent the only ones that have said FU to Long Island- Jets fans included.

I have people in Hampton Bays too.  We are in the slums of Flanders.  Home of the Big Duck.  Not the greatest spot, but I think my grandfather paid $1200 for the place and it's technically in South Hampton.

I'm supposed to go out there next week but work will probably screw me over.  my aunt and uncle live in a very small ranch house but they get to ride bikes to the beach.  my cousins are so laid back its comical.  I'm a western Suffolk kid, totally opposite.   one of my cousins kids had a health issue and we had a fund raiser at the boardy barn.  I think I was there a few times in the 80's but I can't remember :-).  the owner of the BB does the fundraisers for free to make nice with the local cops so they don't just park across the street from his place and write 15 DUI's a night.  they told me he is only open sundays during the summer and makes enough for the whole year.  that's a lot of bud in a cup, lol

I'm supposed to go out there next week but work will probably screw me over.  my aunt and uncle live in a very small ranch house but they get to ride bikes to the beach.  my cousins are so laid back its comical.  I'm a western Suffolk kid, totally opposite.   one of my cousins kids had a health issue and we had a fund raiser at the boardy barn.  I think I was there a few times in the 80's but I can't remember :-).  the owner of the BB does the fundraisers for free to make nice with the local cops so they don't just park across the street from his place and write 15 DUI's a night.  they told me he is only open sundays during the summer and makes enough for the whole year.  that's a lot of bud in a cup, lol

Imagine growing up near the Boardy Barn.  Lost a lot of brain cells in there.

I mean is one practice a season going to make that much of a difference?

no, but people from Long Island get very offended when everyone else doesn't love Long Island as much as they do. ;)

Cool. I might go out next weekend too.  Long trip from here, but I think my Dad needs some help with some work he is doing.  We'll see.  It is a truly strange place in the winter time.

Archived