Jets Sign Second Round Pick QB Geno Smith

FoxJet

Jets | Geno Smith update 
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:19:53 -0700

Updating an earlier report, New York Jets QB Geno Smith's four-year deal is worth about $5 million.

Comment | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini | Share: facebook.png 

Jets | Austin Collie to work out 
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:19:31 -0700

The New York Jets will work out free-agent WR Austin Collie (Colts) Monday, July 22.

Comment | Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter | Share: facebook.png 

Jets | Geno Smith signs 
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:14:26 -0700

The New York Jets signed second-round pick QB Geno Smith to a four-year deal.

Comment | Source: The Star-Ledger - Conor Orr | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2ZmkcSXVI

Four years, $5M? Dude must be really pissed about skipping the senior bowl right about now. Lol.

He had to sign today if he was going to have any hope of challenging Sanchez - which is a long shot, anyway. Milliner and Richardson can take their time, as they're both probably penciled in to start this year. They can push a little harder for the best deals they can get. Milliner, especially, because the Revis stories will pile up until he's in camp, and the Jets don't want that.

Four years, $5M? Dude must be really pissed about skipping the senior bowl right about now. Lol.

He had to sign today if he was going to have any hope of challenging Sanchez - which is a long shot, anyway. Milliner and Richardson can take their time, as they're both probably penciled in to start this year. They can push a little harder for the best deals they can get. Milliner, especially, because the Revis stories will pile up until he's in camp, and the Jets don't want that.

Don't buy into the media bullsh*t about Sanchez basically winning the job before training camp has even started. From the interviews I've seen, their basically even in the competition and the coaching staff hasn't decided yet. Plus, according to david lee, Geno's going to look like a different player come training camp. All in all, the competition is undecided. It's to early to tell who will win it.

Jets | Geno Smith update 

Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:19:53 -0700

Updating an earlier report, New York Jets QB Geno Smith's four-year deal is worth about $5 million.

Comment | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini | Share: facebook.png

Lovely price tag. 

I like the idea of a 2nd round QB with a chip on his shoulder, who expected to be drafted in R1, who is making less in 4 years than the incumbent QB will make this year... the likelihood of this kid getting paid and washing out just diminished significantly.

Not to imply he still may not work out, but it won't be for lack of trying. He's going to want that 2nd contract to be a starters contract, that's for sure.

Much better incentive than Sanchez ever had here. He was gifted his job, and then coated with teflon. That never works out well. 

Love it.

Hopefully the fact he didnt sign a mega-deal as a 2nd rounder will only motivate him more to not only beat Sanchez out for the job, but work his ass and play well for that next contract (assuming Tanny isnt invited back in the doors and hands him an extension for being the worst QB in the game).

Hopefully he picks up the system sooner rather than later. Been thinking, with his success with the short passing game at WV- maybe start running an abbreviated version of what the Pats run-uptempo, WR's running crosses against LB's, dump offs to Ivory/Goodson with the occasional deep shot to Hill.

....He had to sign today if he was going to have any hope of challenging Sanchez - which is a long shot, anyway.

Not that much of a long shot.  If Sanchez is even ahead at all, a couple of good preseason series by Geno can change that.

If Rex starts Sanchez this year and stays with him more that 2 or 3 games, he will be fired.  He has no margin if he starts Sanchez.   If he starts a rookie and the kid battles through growing pains to get the team to 7 wins, he might be asked back.  There is no benefit for him to start Sanchez.  If he really believes that Sanchez can QB a winning season in NY, then he is too stupid or too stubborn to be asked to stay.  He may well be both of those things.

GenoSmith2-450x275.jpg

Let me roll out the welcome mat for Geno baby! WELCOME to the NEW YORK JETS football organization GENO!

we're looking for big things from you in the coming weeks through training camp, and on to the regular season.

Dude I personally am excited about you being a NYJ football player. I see you doing good things for us in the

coming years. Once again welcome Geno.. have a good season. Lets get it done baby! NYJETS! :spongebob: 

Like the numbers.

What's the deal with the rookies? I thought there was a set system to control the money they get.

The rookies got raped in the new CBA because the vets thought it would allot them more of the pie. Instead, all that money went to the top ten or so players on the roster, with the other 43 guys fighting for scraps and one-year deals because they're in direct competition with (wait for it) those newly-cheap-to-sign rookies.

The rookies got raped in the new CBA because the vets thought it would allot them more of the pie. Instead, all that money went to the top ten or so players on the roster, with the other 43 guys fighting for scraps and one-year deals because they're in direct competition with (wait for it) those newly-cheap-to-sign rookies.

Even if that's true, it makes a heck of a lot more sense for a topflight veteran to get it rather than a totally unproven rookie.

Absolutely, but the rank and file got squeezed.

True, but did you really think it would be any different?  Why should a rank and file grunt get paid as much as a star?  I think the vet minimums have risen pretty steadily, they get free medical care and are fed a lot.  Prolly get all the free groupies/nookie they want too.  I can't feel to badly for the rank and file.

True, but did you really think it would be any different?  Why should a rank and file grunt get paid as much as a star?  I think the vet minimums have risen pretty steadily, they get free medical care and are fed a lot.  Prolly get all the free groupies/nookie they want too.  I can't feel to badly for the rank and file.

Here's how I look at it.  Say you have someone making $300k a year (I don't know what the minimum is).  You manage to stay in the league for two years.  You just made $600k. If you had gotten a job paying $60k you would have to work 10 years to make the same amount.  I don't feel sorry for them at all.

Archived