Pill Which Shrinks All Tumors Begins Human Test

kelticwizard

Cancer Drug That Shrinks All Tumors Set To Begin Human Clinical Trials

The Huffington Post  |  By Sara Gates Posted: 03/28/2013 5:39 pm EDT  |  Updated: 04/02/2013 5:40 pm EDT

gplus-32.png
r-CANCER-DRUG-SHRINKS-TUMORS-large570.jp

Researchers are one step closer to uncovering a
cancer treatment that could be applicable across the board in killing every kind of cancer tumor.      

After successful trials in mice, the cancer drug that so far has shrunk or cured all types of tumors it has been tested against will now move to human clinical trials, thanks to a $20 million grant.

A study published March 2012 discusses researchers' find that the one-for-all antibody drug successfully blocks a specific protein, CD47, from tricking the body's immune system into not destroying harmful cells. Though this protein is present on the surface of healthy blood cells, the team from Stanford University's School of Medicine determined that CD47 levels were significantly higher in all cancer cells.

The single antibody treatment works by blocking the protein's signal, thus instructing the body's immune system to attack the cancer cells.

"What we've shown is that CD47 isn't just important on leukemias and lymphomas," Stanford Professor of Pathology and lead study author Dr. Irving Weissman told Science NOW, referring to his previous research that inspired the most recent study. "It's on every single human primary tumor that we tested."

After publishing their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, the team tested the drug treatment on mice with seven different types of human cancer tumors -- breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver and prostate. By either killing or shrinking each tumor, the innovative antibody drug prevented the cancer from spreading to other parts of the body.

"Blocking this ‘don’t-eat-me’ signal inhibits the growth in mice of nearly every human cancer we tested, with minimal toxicity," Weissman said in a statement released by Stanford in 2012. "This shows conclusively that this protein, CD47, is a legitimate and promising target for human cancer therapy."

Funded by a four-year, $20 million grant from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Weissman and his team will now prepare for the first phase of human clinical trials.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/cancer-drug-shrinks-tumors_n_2972708.html

Edited by kelticwizard

After being told for years that any progress against cancer will slowly come in treatments for specific types of cancer, we find a one-size-fits-all pill which seems to attack every type of tumor it's been used against.  In animals.

Wonder how long it will take before it becomes available to humans.

How dramatic that would be to find that cancer suddenly becomes "no big deal".

After being told for years that any progress against cancer will slowly come in treatments for specific types of cancer, we find a one-size-fits-all pill which seems to attack every type of tumor it's been used against.  In animals.

Wonder how long it will take before it becomes available to humans.

How dramatic that would be to find that cancer suddenly becomes "no big deal".

I've lost several family members and friends to cancer, and my father is a cancer survivor.  Seeing what it does to people, this would be an amazing breakthrough.

• Upvote 1

I've lost several family members and friends to cancer, and my father is a cancer survivor.  Seeing what it does to people, this would be an amazing breakthrough.

Agreed and same here. But in the greater scheme of things, overpopulation is going to be crazy in a hundred years. People won't die for like, ever, eventually. I wonder when the laws start about only one child per couple and stuff. The animals, the environment and stuff, Earth is going to be a waste dump...(disclosure, I'm more Capitalist than Liberal...but just saying)...Humans, in general pretty much suck. Major downer for all other living things. But thumbs up for us so...I might just start dipping again. 

Agreed and same here. But in the greater scheme of things, overpopulation is going to be crazy in a hundred years. People won't die for like, ever, eventually. I wonder when the laws start about only one child per couple and stuff. The animals, the environment and stuff, Earth is going to be a waste dump...(disclosure, I'm more Capitalist than Liberal...but just saying)...Humans, in general pretty much suck. Major downer for all other living things. But thumbs up for us so...I might just start dipping again. 

LOL I think despite a possible cure, we shouldn't be doing things to get cancer.

Other than that, I agree. I wouldn't be against a one child per couple policy.  I think this planet has more than enough morons roaming on it. We don't need to keep creating more.

• Upvote 1

Hope this turns into something...I'm approaching the age when more cancers start.

Regarding population, I'd like to think our leaders won't stifle such a technology over such fears.  There must be better ways to control population growth than letting a disease randomly pluck people from their families. 

Edited by JerryK
  • Upvote 1

I work in Pharmaceuticals (albeit a small role at a Contract Research Org; I don't have a medical background), and the prevailing conspiracy theory has been that the focus was on cancer treatments rather than cancer cures due to the revenue the former produces compared to the latter.

I hope we put to bed that idea and cure this thing once and for all.

Edited by Jetsfan80
  • Upvote 1

I work in Pharmaceuticals (albeit a small role at a Contract Research Org; I don't have a medical background), and the prevailing conspiracy theory has been that the focus was on cancer treatments rather than cancer cures due to the revenue the former produces compared to the latter.

Amen.

Since obesity is a big, big risk factor for cancer, if this pill works anywhere near as well in people as in animals, then I guess one of the unhealthy things about obesity will be reduced or eliminated.

Personally, I am presently Stage I obese, started out in Feb as Stage III obese, (morbidly obese), and still losing.  :D

PS:  Until the pill gets here, folks may want to know that an aspirin a day, even a baby aspirin, cuts a number of common cancers by up to 50%.  It doesn't work if you take it every second day, it has to be every day.

In one of a series of studies involving 200,000 patients, the academics found aspirin cut the risk of dying of cancer by 37 per cent if patients took it every day for five years....

......Researchers also found that once patients had been diagnosed with cancer, their chance of it spreading was cut by 55 per cent if they took  daily doses of aspirin for at least six and a half years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2117906/Aspirin-Daily-dose-cuts-cancer-death-risk-37.html

Edited by kelticwizard

Chris Rock said it best, the money's not in the cure, it's in the treatment. They get you on the come-back.

I agree with you though, got to cure it. Got to.

..... But in the greater scheme of things, overpopulation is going to be crazy in a hundred years. People won't die for like, ever, eventually. I wonder when the laws start about only one child per couple and stuff. The animals, the environment and stuff, Earth is going to be a waste dump...

Possible, especially if a super-volcano like Yellowstone blows in the next 50 years or so. 

But as more and more countries become developed, like Korea which used to be a backwater, more and more scientific research is being done to solve the problems.

250 years ago there were maybe 500 scientists in the world, and most of them were lords and barons who did it for a hobby.  Now there are millions of scientists with ever more up-to-date equipment working on these problems as they appear.  Just because a problem looks tough now doesn't mean it's going to be tough 20 years from now.

Edited by kelticwizard

Possible, especially if a super-volcano like Yellowstone blows in the next 50 years or so.

But as more and more countries become developed, like Korea which used to be a backwater, more and more scientific research is being done to solve the problems.

250 years ago there were maybe 500 scientists in the world, and most of them were lords and barons who did it for a hobby. Now there are millions of scientists with ever more up-to-date equipment working on these problems as they appear. Just because a problem looks tough now doesn't mean it's going to be tough 20 years from now.

That's an interesting concept, and it's a nice way to think optimistically about the future. I guess if someway, they were to figure out clean energy and or ways to fix any pollutant area (think oil spills, Chernobyl, Hudson River etc) then you get world peace, and all our human waste could somehow be transferred over into clean fuel etc....it would be just in time for the meteor shower that demolishes everything.

..... I guess if someway, they were to figure out clean energy and or ways to fix any pollutant area (think oil spills, Chernobyl, Hudson River etc) then you get world peace, and all our human waste could somehow be transferred over into clean fuel etc....it would be just in time for the meteor shower that demolishes everything.

That's only if world history turns out to be like Jets history.   :D

So the study isn't until 2014.  For about $30 a person can download the paper, containing the methods and materials in the discovery.  Good thing I'm in computers and not biotech;  I'd be way too tempted to try and synthesize the compound in my basement.

Edited by JerryK

You raise a good point.  You might not try making it up in your basement, but there's a whole pirate drug industry out there selling prescription drugs on the internet that might just try it. 

Imagine the market for a drug that has already been tested on animals as effective for cancer among people who have been given a few months to live.  It wouldn't surprise me if the pirates are already busy making it up.

Normally the process to release a drug takes many years, but I have heard of cases where a drug has proven so effective that the trial has been cut short in order to get the drug on the market quicker.  How quickly the drug does get to market in such a case I do not know-if anyone knows please feel free to post.

Edited by kelticwizard

it's actually not too big of a concern IMO, In other labs , different scientists are working on that problem. there are workable plans to Terraform Mars, forexample (it involves warming the planet, something we know how to do already) Also plenty of research into sustainability and mega cities.

technology isn't evolving in just one field and resources will be shifted naturally (with capital) to the areas of greatest need. Remember that as a species, the prime reason we survived and thrived was our inate ability to adapt. the adaptability that took us from the coast of Africa to here will eventually take us to different worlds.

• Upvote 1

There is another limiting factor on population called the Demographic Transition, which has been known for many decades.  It is a three stage process.

Step 1.  Pre-Industrialization.  People have high birth rates because their power is increased by how many people are in the family.  They also have high death rates because food is periodically scarce and scientific medicine has not either been developed yet or hasn't reached them.  Population is relatively static, or increases only slowly.

Step 2.  Industrialization.  People still have high birth rates, even if they move to cities, because of tradition.  However, they now have much lower death rates because food is being produced in greater abundance which tends to ward off disease, and modern medicine and sanitary practices are introduced.  Population increases rapidly.

Step 3. Further Industrialization, (or Post Industrial).  As people move to cities for generations, they lose the incentive for large families.  Birth rates decline.  Death rates stay low or go even lower due to even more enhanced food surplus and modern medicine.  Population is roughly static.

Most advanced nations are in Step 3.  Other nations are in the process of advancing, some quicker than others, but it's only a matter of time till most of them enter Step 3.

What the world population will be when most countries are in Step 3 depends on how quickly they develop.  Look how fast nations like Korea have come up.  We might never have to pass laws like the Chinese, population growth might take care of itself.

There is another limiting factor on population called the Demographic Transition, which has been known for many decades.  It is a three stage process.

Step 1.  Pre-Industrialization.  People have high birth rates because their power is increased by how many people are in the family.  They also have high death rates because food is periodically scarce and scientific medicine has not either been developed yet or hasn't reached them.  Population is relatively static, or increases only slowly.

Step 2.  Industrialization.  People still have high birth rates, even if they move to cities, because of tradition.  However, they now have much lower death rates because food is being produced in greater abundance which tends to ward off disease, and modern medicine and sanitary practices are introduced.  Population increases rapidly.

Step 3. Further Industrialization, (or Post Industrial).  As people move to cities for generations, they lose the incentive for large families.  Birth rates decline.  Death rates stay low or go even lower due to even more enhanced food surplus and modern medicine.  Population is roughly static.

Most advanced nations are in Step 3.  Other nations are in the process of advancing, some quicker than others, but it's only a matter of time till most of them enter Step 3.

What the world population will be when most countries are in Step 3 depends on how quickly they develop.  Look how fast nations like Korea have come up.  We might never have to pass laws like the Chinese, population growth might take care of itself.

Human population has been growing exponentially, since forever. 

The only way to stop this is to have the death rate surpass the birth rate, which as you mention in "Post Industrial" stage-3, isn't going to happen.  People are going to live longer, and healthier.

As of a 2010 World Census Bureau, 4.4 children are born every second, and only 1.8 people die every second.  

There is only ONE solution. 

Support the gheys!!

They not only moderate our message boards...they will save our planet.