Braylon Edwards to resign with Jets (merged)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark pushed for this

I agree, in fact I would be surprised if he wasn't pushing for this for a long time.

That is why I think they held off in signing Braylon because they were afraid it would be a signal that Sanchez was ahead in the QB competition.

Maybe it is.  Or maybe now Santonio is on the PUP list and they already passed on Laurent Robinson and Austin Collie, Braylon would be considered the next logical choice on the list, not necessarily favoring Sanchez.  If they had signed Braylon right away without trying out others first, that would more clearly signal a shift toward Mark.

I still think they held off in signing Braylon because they were afraid it would be a signal that Sanchez was ahead in the QB competition.

Maybe it is.  Or maybe now Santonio is on the PUP list and they already passed on Laurent Robinson and Austin Collie, Braylon would be considered the next logical choice on the list, not necessarily favoring Sanchez.

Sanchez likely is ahead of Geno, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything:

Braylon Edwards@OfficialBraylon11 Jul

Ran into @GenoSmith7 yesterday. Talked a lil football and shared some laughs lol. Great dude.

I agree, in fact I would be surprised if he wasn't pushing for this for a long time.

That is why I think they held off in signing Braylon because they were afraid it would be a signal that Sanchez was ahead in the QB competition.

Maybe it is.  Or maybe now Santonio is on the PUP list and they already passed on Laurent Robinson and Austin Collie, Braylon would be considered the next logical choice on the list, not necessarily favoring Sanchez.  If they had signed Braylon right away without trying out others first, that would more clearly signal a shift toward Mark.

Yeah, the way the Jets handled this would seem to suggest that they were first hoping for Holmes to be healthy and when that wasn't case, were trying to see if they could find a better option than Braylon.  It appeared that he was their backup plan if all else failed, which it seems that it did.  I'm sure Idzik's history with Braylon, combined with the fact that the guy Braylon has the successful history with here isn't the one who they want as their long term QB, both played into the Jets not regarding him as highly as many Jets fans.

....Braylon Edwards@OfficialBraylon11 Jul

Ran into @GenoSmith7 yesterday. Talked a lil football and shared some laughs lol. Great dude.

The fact that Braylon met Geno and liked him is good.  I think that what they were afraid of is that signing Braylon while the QB competition was still on might be interpreted as a subtle signal that they expect Sanchez to start the season-it would give momentum to Sanchez' cause.  But signing him shortly after Holmes went on the PUP list and they tried out other veteran WR's might counteract that perception.

This is good news.  I hope he and Winslow can stay healthy.  That's 2 big targets who can go up and the ball for Geno. ;-)

BE, Hill, Kerley, Winslow with the hope that Holmes can come back.  Thats aint so terrible anymore.  

Whats up with Steve Breaston?  Surprised they havent looked at him.  He'd be a nice depth option.

Also, how is that MoJo Drew is practicing already after his Lisfranic injury but Holmes is still a ways out.  Are their varying degrees of the injury? 

From NJ>COM

It appears the Jets and Braylon Edwards are headed toward a third stint together.

The former Pro Bowl wideout, who played for the Jets in 2009-10 as well as the stretch run in 2012, is currently taking a physical at the team's Florham Park training facility, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The person requested anonymity because the Jets have yet to make the move official.

Edwards, who was free agent, flew in to New Jersey today.

The fan favorite was a pivotal target during the Jets' back-to-back AFC Championship Game runs, amassing 88 catches for 1,445 yards and 11 touchdowns. During his three-game stint with the Jets last year, he totaled 10 catches for 125 yards.

In Edwards, the Jets are getting a powerful run blocker and a receiver that still has the ability to stretch the field. His rapport with Mark Sanchez seemed to carry over despite the year they spent apart.

Edwards joins a receiving corps racked with uncertainty. There is still no timetable for Santonio Holmes' return from a foot injury and Stephen Hill, the team's 2012 second-round pick, is recovering from offseason knee surgery

This is good news.  I hope he and Winslow can stay healthy.  That's 2 big targets who can go up and the ball for Geno. ;-)

BE, Hill, Kerley, Winslow with the hope that Holmes can come back.  Thats aint so terrible anymore.  

Whats up with Steve Breaston?  Surprised they havent looked at him.  He'd be a nice depth option.

Also, how is that MoJo Drew is practicing already after his Lisfranic injury but Holmes is still a ways out.  Are their varying degrees of the injury? 

3 different types. Severity willl be dependent on displacement and what surface area is available for re-attachment.

Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, AND Kellen Winslow Jr.

We are so dominant in 2007.

Better late than never???

Nah, for realz, they're all 30.  Thats not exactly over the hill for WR...its just that they've all be injury riddled since 07...lulza

3 different types. Severity willl be dependent on displacement and what surface area is available for re-attachment.

DCL  FTW

Mark pushed for this

The fact that Mark pushed for anything and got it is discouraging, Frank. He should be in the "shut up asswipe - the only reason you're here is we have ABSOLUTELY no other option - if you ever quit turning the ball over every other time you touch it - maybe you can open you mouth"   mode.

Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, AND Kellen Winslow Jr.

We are so dominant in 2007.

Great. 3 guys who never fulfilled their potential, are injury prone and 2 are one spliff or drink away from suspension............

I don't know whats worse. This or the fact that Sanchez thinks one of them is great.

The fact that Mark pushed for anything and got it is discouraging...

It is conceivable that this could be interpreted as them paying attention to Sanchez' wishes, thereby indicating they think he starts the season.

But the way they went about it-waiting until Santonio is on PUP list, trying out 2 other receivers first-it looks like they went out of their way to show that Braylon was a last resort.  Really, the logical time to sign him would have been a few days after their WR-less draft.

Did anyone try to verify this tweet? I don't see it on KW's account at all. There's a "BringBraylonBack" hashtag, but this tweet is nowhere to be found.

It's very possible someone from the Jets asked him to delete it considering the reports say the signing hasn't happened yet and obviously the Jets haven't announced anything.

Manish tweeted that he was undergoing a physical. He's no slam dunk to pass.  A lot of smoke here for there to be no fire. Have to imagine that Winslow ran into him at the facility before yesterday's "Bring back Braylon" post.

Why?  Isn't a physical routine when you sign a player, even one who finished last season on your roster?

Archived