I Have The Two Safeties That The Jets May Go After

YJF

I am just throwing this out there as a possibility.

What you gotta remember with The Jets front office is that they like to bring in players that have a past with. Either guys, Bradway initially drafted or scouted.

Example- Derrick Blaylock

Or players that they wanted to draft and or scouted but missed out on.

Example- David Barrett

Or players that they did draft or have on other teams

Example- Reggie Tongue

With that in mind. I am just throwing out these names as possibilities for The Jets at the safety position.

GREG WESLEY AND JEROME WOODS- TWO SAFETIES FROM THE CHIEFS

I don't know what plans, KC has for this position. They just signed Sammy Knight so they may let one of these guys go. Either by cutting them or trading them.

Both have these players have had pro bowl caliber seasons in their careers. Wesley plays SS and is younger than Woods. Woods is a big FS who is an older veteran.

Pretty sure that Bradway was involved in drafting both of them. They could be possibilities for The Jets.

Just some food for thought.

Yeah I said that I would like the Jets to take a look at Greg Wesley in another thread. This kid can really bring it. He is as physical as they come and still young. I think he is the better candidate to be cut since I see sammy knight as a SS and Wesley has a high salary cap number this season.

Yeah I said that I would like the Jets to take a look at Greg Wesley in another thread. This kid can really bring it. He is as physical as they come and still young. I think he is the better candidate to be cut since I see sammy knight as a SS and Wesley has a high salary cap number this season.

Don't be shocked if one of these two safeties is a Jet next year. Remember when I brought it up.

here is an article, but you need to subscribe, and i don't feel like going through that hassel

https://registration.mercurynews.com/reg/login.do?url=http://www.mercurynews.com%2Fmld%2Fmercurynews%2Fsports%2F11114598.htm

but apparently it says that Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods will fight it out be be the starting FS. and sammy knight will be their starting strong safety.

Thanks for the heads up. Here is the article.

Posted on Fri, Mar. 11, 2005

Chiefs confident Knight signing will pay off

BY ADAM TEICHER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - (KRT) - The Chiefs are confident the consequences of their free-agent signing of safety Sammy Knight will work themselves out quite nicely as time moves along.

For now, they just know they have a crowd at safety. And that's exactly what they wanted.

Knight agreed to a five-year contract worth slightly more than $2 million per year. It includes an initial signing bonus of $1.2 million and total bonuses worth $2.7 million.

For that, the Chiefs have themselves a new starting strong safety.

"He's here to play," coach Dick Vermeil said.

The two incumbent starting safeties, Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods, will compete to be the starting free safety.

"It just depends on who the other best safety is," Vermeil said. "Competition makes players better."

The Chiefs, after Woods and Wesley played well in 2003, awarded each player with large new contracts. Both responded by playing poorly, which left the Chiefs determined to make improvements.

The Knight signing shows they weren't bluffing. Now either Woods or Wesley is out of a starting job, and, unlikely but possible, a job altogether.

Vermeil indicated the Chiefs would keep both players, with one serving as injury insurance. Their contracts make their releases cost-prohibitive. The Chiefs would like to get some return on a $5 million signing-bonus investment in Wesley.

Woods recently received an option bonus payment of $500,000, making his release even more unlikely. But the Chiefs could wait until after June 1 to release one of them. Delaying such a move would push the acceleration of the signing bonus for salary-cap purposes into next year.

When they gave the new contracts to Woods and Wesley, the Chiefs figured safety would be the last position to worry about. Woods made the 2003 Pro Bowl, and the Chiefs believed Wesley played as well if not better.

Neither one came close to playing as well last season. The Chiefs believe Wesley became too comfortable after signing the first big contract of his career.

The Chiefs anticipate Knight's signing will serve as adequate motivation.

"Guys get their nice contracts and they get a little more secure feeling, and it takes a little edge off their overall approach," Vermeil said. "They almost forget what they get paid to do.

"I think Greg Wesley has enough character to get himself to do what he has to do. He's a good person and a good worker when his mind is right and he doesn't have any distractions."

Wesley didn't return a message left with his agent, Drew Pittman.

Woods, who turns 32 next week, is five years older than Wesley. The Chiefs are wondering whether his career has taken the irreversible turn that all inevitably do.

"The older you get, it takes you longer to get back, and when you get back, it takes you longer to play as well," Vermeil said of Woods, who missed all of 2002 because of a broken leg and the last six games last season because of an ailing knee. "There is a wall that you hit and sometimes you can't play as well."

For his part, Woods returned to his offseason home in Memphis wondering the same thing. He hired for the first time a speed coach to help him get back some of his missing range.

"It's been going pretty well," he said. "I hope to keep doing this all through the offseason. I've got to build my legs back up. Ever since my injury, my broken leg, I've always been a step behind. I never got a chance to rehab properly and build my leg strength up to where it should have been."

Still, word of Knight's signing and a possible loss of a starting job he's held since 1997 hit Woods hard, particularly since the Chiefs hadn't been in communication.

"Nobody has told me anything," Woods said. "It's a business and they do things. Who knows what comes out of this? After what happened last year, you expect some jobs to be on the line.

"(Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham) likes to have good depth at every position. Maybe that's what this is about. Maybe they're doing it for competition. I know one thing about Gun: He's going to play the best guy. That's what he did last year with (Jared) Allen and Vonnie Holliday."

The Chiefs hope to create that competition and motivation with Knight's signing. They also could be creating a volatile situation with an unhappy veteran on the bench.

Woods has not been a complainer but acknowledged he didn't know how he would react to news he was a backup.

"When the time comes I'll address that with my agents," he said. "It'll depend on a lot of things. Right now, I don't know what the Chiefs are going to do or what the Chiefs are thinking.

"It just sounds like at one point, there will have to be decisions made and some people will have to accept roles."

---

Archived