Revis: "It’s more of a family here. Everybody is real tight here. We all get along."

Matt39

Oh, and I get all the "screw Revis" sentiment, I really do... but face it, he's diagnosing a huge problem that nobody has done anything about in 2 years. He's doing the Jets a favor by saying something... now hopefully they course correct.

As one of the most respected players in the league and a team-leader, it's hardly a glowing endorsement of himself if his team doesn't have that family-vibe.  I can't stand Ray Lewis the person, but I don't think you'd ever hear him talk about how his former team wasn't "family-enough," because he wouldn't have allowed that.  I'm not saying it's not an issue, but if it were and still is, Revis should have done something about it.

Revis has sixteen million (non-guaranteed) reasons to be getting along with everyone.  Let's not pretend there's anything more to it than that.  Revis always had plenty of positive things to say about the Jets as long as he was happy with what he was getting paid.

Plus they are all probably kissing his ass up and down due to his elite status. Lets see how long the Honeymoon lasts if they turn out to be sh*t

Answer: Jericho Cotchery, Leon Washington, Laveraneus Coles, Shaun Ellis, Kevin Mawae, Braylon Edwards, Ladainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, Thomas Jones, Alan Faneca, and Darelle Revis

Question: Name players beloved by Jetnation until they became horrible/incompetent/assholes the minute they were no longer Jets.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

Answer: Jericho Cotchery, Leon Washington, Laveraneus Coles, Shaun Ellis, Kevin Mawae, Braylon Edwards, Ladainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, Thomas Jones, Alan Faneca, and Darelle Revis

Question: Name players beloved by Jetnation until they became horrible/incompetent/assholes the minute they were no longer Jets.

220px-You-got-served-poster.jpg

As one of the most respected players in the league and a team-leader, it's hardly a glowing endorsement of himself if his team doesn't have that family-vibe.  I can't stand Ray Lewis the person, but I don't think you'd ever hear him talk about how his former team wasn't "family-enough," because he wouldn't have allowed that.  I'm not saying it's not an issue, but if it were and still is, Revis should have done something about it.

Very good points, very good. 

Yeah, being the highest paid player on his team --- he should own locker-room chemistry --- any GM or coach would expect that sh*t from him.

This is the politically correct way of expressing what we already know... the Jets lockerroom has been a mess since they jettisoned Cotchery, Richardson, Jenkins and most of those other veterans that Rex inherited. 

It only takes a couple of Plaxicos and Holmes to fracture that "brotherhood" dynamic. Ironically, there's a quote from Rex in another thread about how Ray Lewis motivated him as a coach, and it has Rex saying that he's all about that "brotherhood" feel, even though he was oblivious to it deteriorating not once, but twice in the past 2 years... and in a lot of ways, because of his hand-picked turds.

Meh.  The problem with the Jets over the last few years is lack of talent.  Anything else is window dressing.

Meh.  The problem with the Jets over the last few years is lack of talent.  Anything else is window dressing.

As we seen year-after-year in the NFL, chemistry can augment talent. I don't disagree with you at all on the bold, but I wouldn't be so fast to disregard the locker room dynamics of the past 2 years. It matters.

Uh, for most of these guys it's because they started badmouthing the Jets the moment they were no longer here.  In other words, they started it, not us.  Compare them to others who are no longer here, purely because of money, like DeVito.  But guys like Jones badmouthed us because we didn't tear up his contract in its down year (but had no problem collecting $9M as he CM'd his way to 1100 yards, 3.6 yards at a time).

This also ignores that there was PLENTY of badmouthing of a lot of those guys while they were still here: Coles, Favre, Jones, Revis (and Leon as well when he said he wanted and deserved $8M/year like MJD).  You might as well have put Chad Pennington on this list and claimed that he was universally beloved here until he was a Dolphin.

• Thomas Jones, the Dancing Bear himself, was never beloved on this website.  He was merely fine: good when the line was good, awful when the line was awful.  
  • Favre is thought of as an a$$hole even in Green Bay where he was actually great for some 15 years.  Know why? Because he is an a$$hole.  
  • Coles was an a$$hole when he was here.  Classic douche who wanted his contract reworked every 2 years just like Revis.
  • Revis was beloved on the field.  Every other offseason, nearly everyone here hated Revis.  
  • Ellis was a career Jet and 5 minutes into a very forgettable Patriots career he bashed the team that drafted him & made him rich.
  • LT isn't beloved in San Diego either. And all he really did was shed light on what was going on.  I don't hate LT, other than he talks too slowly.
  • Faneca is hated? He was fine for a year or two, and provided good leadership for our young LT and C.  But he was never great here despite the great pay.
  • Mawae wore out his welcome with the entire league, and couldn't find a job when he clearly could still play because of his big fat mouth.
  • Cotchery wanted to be a starter here.  No one wanted him to be a starter on their team (he was barely 4th string on Pittsburgh).  Yet he only blamed the Jets for this insult.  So eff-him.

As we seen year-after-year in the NFL, chemistry can augment talent. I don't disagree with you at all on the bold, but I wouldn't be so fast to disregard the locker room dynamics of the past 2 years. It matters.

Sure it does, but what was Revis doing to better the situation? 

This is the same sh*t that LT pulled, on his way out, he's running his mouth.  If these guys were so concerned or are such great leaders, they'd have stepped up and nipped all this sh*t in the butt like great leaders do.

Revis is a me first player, always has been since the second he entered the league.  I guarantee the Bucs will find this out very soon. 

Sure it does, but what was Revis doing to better the situation? 

This is the same sh*t that LT pulled, on his way out, he's running his mouth.  If these guys were so concerned or are such great leaders, they'd have stepped up and nipped all this sh*t in the butt like great leaders do.

Revis is a me first player, always has been since the second he entered the league.  I guarantee the Bucs will find this out very soon. 

Bucs will keep him for 2 years maximum (unless he voluntarily agrees to a 50% pay cut while healthy).

Fix the QB, and you fix the chemistry. It's that simple. The team wins more, and there's less of a discrepancy between the offense and the defense, and all that crap goes away. Winning teams have plenty of players harboring anger, resentment, or downright hatred, but you don't hear about it because the team is winning. When teams lose, you hear every gripe. I wouldn't want a coach or GM spending two seconds worrying about chemistry. It's bullsh*t. Talent and winning, those are the concerns. Have those two things, and chemistry follows.

Matters... Fine.  But, it's pretty clear where it falls in the pecking order of Old, Injured, Slow, Lack of Depth, Poor Coaching, and lets not forget Leagues Worst Quarterback.  Well behind.

Bucs will keep him for 2 years maximum (unless he voluntarily agrees to a 50% pay cut while healthy).

The Jets were SB contenders in 2010 for the first time in over a decade and Revis, the best player on the team, was willing to hold out for the entire season.  That's how much family means to him.

Fix the QB, and you fix the chemistry. It's that simple. The team wins more, and there's less of a discrepancy between the offense and the defense, and all that crap goes away. Winning teams have plenty of players harboring anger, resentment, or downright hatred, but you don't hear about it because the team is winning. When teams lose, you hear every gripe. I wouldn't want a coach or GM spending two seconds worrying about chemistry. It's bullsh*t. Talent and winning, those are the concerns. Have those two things, and chemistry follows.

No doubt.  Chemistry wasnt an issue until Sanchez crapped away an 8-5 record with another playoff berth on the horizon.  

Yup.

The Jets were SB contenders in 2010 for the first time in over a decade and Revis, the best player on the team, was willing to hold out for the entire season.  That's how much family means to him.

Excellent.

No doubt.  Chemistry wasnt an issue until Sanchez crapped away an 8-5 record with another playoff birth on the horizon.  

Playoff birth?

Matters... Fine.  But, it's pretty clear where it falls in the pecking order of Old, Injured, Slow, Lack of Depth, Poor Coaching, and lets not forget Leagues Worst Quarterback.  Well behind.

Yeah, like I said I don't disagree with either of you. This thread is about Revis talking about team chemistry, so my comments were isolated to team chemistry. 

We all know about the other issues. I'm not discrediting them at all, I was just staying on topic. Chemistry matters a lot in football. We see teams with tons of talent never put it together and win because they have no chemistry.

You need both.

We have neither.

Archived