NFC GM: "I don't think Rex gets another head coaching gig."

T0mShane

Last Chance? NFL Coaches, Players On The Hot Seat In 2013

By Marc Sessler

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000220836/article/last-chance-players-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-in-2013

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan doesn't "give a (bleep) about last year," and he doesn't accept the notion he's a lame-duck leader in Gotham.

Others around the NFL aren't so sure.

One accomplished NFC general manager told NFL.com's Adam Schein: "Rex is a confident guy with a big ego. When he got to the Jets, the personnel was pretty good. For some reason, their talent level has fallen off, and it will most likely get him fired. How involved was he in picking the players? Plus, he attached himself to (Mark) Sanchez."

Said the source: "I don't think (Ryan) gets another (head-coaching gig). I think he ends up as a defensive coordinator."

The NFL is a fluid operation. Fortunes rise and fall. Ryan still has a chance to secure his future in Florham Park, but will he?

Here's a look at seven players and coaches on their last chance in 2013:

Rex Ryan

It's trendy to predict doom for Rex, but his talent is genuine. Ryan remains one of the most creative defensive minds in football. Before general manager John Idzik arrived, the problem in New York was a roster-building philosophy -- partly driven by Ryan -- that burned away talent and left the Jets with the worst offensive lineup in the NFL.

Schein's front-office friend is correct that failure will be pinned on Ryan unless the Jets surprise. I predicted Ryan's demise in 2012. I was one year early.

2014 prediction: Defensive coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

Josh Freeman

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano is tired of the inquiries. Yes, Freeman will open the season as the team's starting quarterback. But will he finish it? Rookie Mike Glennon is a strong-armed, daring passer drafted by this regime, not the last one. Freeman has shown flashes of brilliance, but he's too inconsistent. The Bucs have surrounded their fifth-year arm with plenty of talent, and Freeman needs to make it count.

2014 prediction: Stays put

Philip Rivers

Rivers is one of the NFL's toughest passers, but he enters a prove-it season on a San Diego Chargers team in transition. The positive is new coach Mike McCoy, who brings the skills to milk success out of Rivers. The negative is new coach Mike McCoy, who might wilt at paying $13.8 million in 2014 and $15.75 million in '15 for a quarterback trending downward.

2014 prediction: Cleveland Browns Week 1 starter

Troy Polamalu

The Pittsburgh Steelers must take a long look at their once-dominant safety. Polamalu's achievements speak for themselves, but he's injury-prone and expensive. Troy missed nine games with a calf injury in 2013. He's a shoe-in Hall of Fame defender, but how do you pay $8.25 million in 2014 for a guy who can't stay on the field? In Troy's favor, Pittsburgh has shown fierce loyalty to its aging stars.

2014 prediction: Stays put.

Jason Garrett

Like Ryan, Garrett makes his own bed. The Dallas Cowboys coach has loyally abided by Jerry Jones, the team's owner and untrained general manager, who's responsible for a string of shoddy drafts and questionable decisions. Still, Garrett soldiers on. A strong-minded leader looking to run the show doesn't fit in Big D. That could save Garrett, unless Dallas crumbles hard in 2013.

Tony Gonzalez

I won't buy the Gonzalez retirement parables until he's mowing lawns with Brett Favre in the wilderness of the South.

2014 prediction: Quality time with the Ol' Gunslinger.

Jay Cutler

Cutler won't win a contract extension from the Chicago Bears before the end of the season, but I don't see him going anywhere. Coach Marc Trestman is wise to take a wait-and-see approach with the quarterback he adopted, but Cutler has all the tools to thrive in Chicago's new pass-heavy system. I believe he will.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex will definitely get another head coaching gig. Definitely. If Sanchez didn't suck so bad, there wouldn't even be a discussion about his ability to coach.

Funny that a GM is talking about the coach picking the players, too. Must be a real prominent guy.

Troy Polamalu

The Pittsburgh Steelers must take a long look at their once-dominant safety. Polamalu's achievements speak for themselves, but he's injury-prone and expensive. Troy missed nine games with a calf injury in 2013. He's a shoe-in Hall of Fame defender, but how do you pay $8.25 million in 2014 for a guy who can't stay on the field? In Troy's favor, Pittsburgh has shown fierce loyalty to its aging stars.

While I agree with his prediction, there's not much more I agree with here.  Pittsburgh has been notorious for NOT being loyal to aging players.  They seem to have a knack for knowing when their older players have little left in their tanks and let them walk almost every time.  That said, how do you cut or allow a shoe-in HOF defender to walk and not finish his career with them?

According to half the people in most offices, the Jets were going to have to promote Bozo the Clown to GM because no serious NFL person would ever want to join the circus.

Rex will get another HC job. It might not be right away, but he'll get another one.

Jerry Reese is a good quote.

It'd be high comedy if the anonymous GM was John Schneider, considering that he's still BFFs with Idzik. If I had to guess, this quote is Mark Domenik's, who spent the whole Revision trade period talking about what a Jets expert he was.

According to half the people in most offices, the Jets were going to have to promote Bozo the Clown to GM because no serious NFL person would ever want to join the circus.

Rex will get another HC job. It might not be right away, but he'll get another one.

Other than coach defense, Rex has been a train wreck as a head coach. His defense can get his club on a run, but as far as being the leader, disciplinarian, teacher, and face of an organization, he's been terrible on and off the field.

Other than coach defense, Rex has been a train wreck as a head coach. His defense can get his club on a run, but as far as being the leader, disciplinarian, teacher, and face of an organization, he's been terrible on and off the field.

Herm got another job. Rex will get another job.

Jim Fassel and Brian Billick say "sup?"

Billick was an alleged offensive genius who's team won with defense, and Fassel can drink Braylon under the table.

Rex will definitely get another shot as a head coach. I'm sure he's learned on the job, both his limitations and where he needs to do more. He'll be a better head coach in the future. And unlike those guys, he hasn't been demonstrated to be a fraud. No one can discredit his abilities as a defensive coach, not even his biggest detractors.

And if Mornhinweg can work some slight of hand with Sanchez and/or Geno, we'll be putting off the Rex speculation for another year - at least.

You'd think that other than defense, the Jets succeeded in absolutely nothing on offense while Rex was here (despite having Mark Sanchez as the only QB on the roster for 4 years).  

Strange that this is not the case.  Very strange.

I am as sick of Rex's act as the next guy. But with that in mind, you have to account for Tannenbaum. Rex had an imbecile for a boss. It's not Rex's job to scout and draft his personnel.,..at least not as a rookie coach. And yet, that's exactly what Tannenbaum wanted him to do, because it's what Mangini was doing. When Rex got the job, aside from the task of learning how to coach an entire club, not just a specific area, he had to attempt to cover for Tannenbaum's short comings. Or maybe he just wanted players, and Tannenbaum caved in. Either way, that's not the case anymore. On his fourth year, with new management, I think Rex will at least show greater aptitude as a head coach. I think you have to give him at least a fifth to gel with some of these new picks. What he did to the defense was pretty tremendous. Now let a real GM pick some playermakers, lets see how Geno develops, and we'll go from there.

Because you know what's going to happen, it's just typical Jet fate- Rex will come back one day on a team with a quarterback, and he'll eventually hold up his own Lombardi. It's just how it goes around here.

I am as sick of Rex's act as the next guy. But with that in mind, you have to account for Tannenbaum. Rex had an imbecile for a boss. It's not Rex's job to scout and draft his personnel.,..at least not as a rookie coach. And yet, that's exactly what Tannenbaum wanted him to do, because it's what Mangini was doing. When Rex got the job, aside from the task of learning how to coach an entire club, not just a specific area, he had to attempt to cover for Tannenbaum's short comings. Or maybe he just wanted players, and Tannenbaum caved in. Either way, that's not the case anymore. On his fourth year, with new management, I think Rex will at least show greater aptitude as a head coach. I think you have to give him at least a fifth to gel with some of these new picks. What he did to the defense was pretty tremendous. Now let a real GM pick some playermakers, lets see how Geno develops, and we'll go from there.

Because you know what's going to happen, it's just typical Jet fate- Rex will come back one day on a team with a quarterback, and he'll eventually hold up his own Lombardi. It's just how it goes around here.

rex will go to pats to be D Coordinator and win 3 in a row

You'd think that other than defense, the Jets succeeded in absolutely nothing on offense while Rex was here (despite having Mark Sanchez as the only QB on the roster for 4 years).  

I am pretty sure that Mark Sanchez WASN'T the only qb on the Jets roster the last 4 years-although I can understand you saying that with the way Rex has treated the position.

Also, I am pretty sure that the NFL actually allows more than 1 qb on the roster-although, Rex didnt seem to get the memo.

As well, we can be sure that if Rex did not have influence over the drafting over Sanchez (I believe he did), he certainly had sway in the decision to extend him, when they did not have to. Really, it is such a Rexion move, not to have a player he likes with hurt feelings, so to assuage feelings.

Those that want to point out the albatross that Rex has had with Sanchez, should also consider that Rex is very much a reason why Sanchez is here, and with the circumstances (contract) that he is. Can't separate the 2.

Those that want to point out the albatross that Rex has had with Sanchez, should also consider that Rex is very much a reason why Sanchez is here, and with the circumstances (contract) that he is. Can't separate the 2.

Problem is, you can easily say that Rex picking Sanchez was Tannenbaum not doing his job.

T0m won't get stuff like that get in the way of his latest and greatest target. Coulda had Jon Gruden! 

I am pretty sure that Mark Sanchez WASN'T the only qb on the Jets roster the last 4 years-although I can understand you saying that with the way Rex has treated the position.

Also, I am pretty sure that the NFL actually allows more than 1 qb on the roster-although, Rex didnt seem to get the memo.

Lol yeah...If he just started McElroy/Brunell/Clemens things would be OK. He doesn't get football. 

Archived