NFC GM: "I don't think Rex gets another head coaching gig."

T0mShane

All I asked was for Rex (The Jets coach) to recognize the liability at QB, and provide some depth there. I guarantee (just like your empty guarantee that Rex will have another HC gig after this one-see I can do it too) if Rex went to his GM, he would have abliged in some way.

After Sanchez' third season, the Jets did address the backup QB position. Unfortunately, they addressed it with Tim Tebow. I don't know if Rex had a conversation with Tannenbaum about the situation or not, but that was Tannenbaum's solution. He said as much after he was let go that Tebow was his call. And I'm sure that's a big reason why he's no longer employed by the team.

So what else was Rex supposed to do there?

You point fingers, but even with the benefit of hindsight, I don't see you offering plausible solutions.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The handling of the QB situation is what got Tannenbaum fired. So lets be thankful for that. But what options were available? We were talking about guys like Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and Tyler Thigpen at the time. Better than Tebow, for sure, but would they actually have been some sort of solution?

You, and Sperm, have stated repeatedly that if the Jets got "anything" out of the QB position, Rex might have won two titles. Campbell, or Orton, or AJ Feeley, or even a Jake Delhomme could have given them "something." Great QBs? Obviously not. But they were guys who could have insulated Rex from the ignominy of wheeling out Sanchez these past two years when he was in full meltdown. Given how mentally soft Sanchez has shown himself to be, it's likely that Tanny and/or Rex were afraid of scaring him with a legitimate backup that could play if and when Sanchez went Full Emo. There were options available to them--the Billy Voleks and Matt Hasselbacks and Jeff Garcias and Byron Leftwiches of the world. Bottom line is that there is no viable excuse for any NFL franchise to have to start the league's worst quarterback for two seasons for lack of an alternative. Every team, even those with Hall of Fame quarterbacks, puts a value on having a representative alternative in the event their starter becomes unavailable.

You, and Sperm, have stated repeatedly that if the Jets got "anything" out of the QB position, Rex might have won two titles. Campbell, or Orton, or AJ Feeley, or even a Jake Delhomme could have given them "something." Great QBs? Obviously not. But they were guys who could have insulated Rex from the ignominy of wheeling out Sanchez these past two years when he was in full meltdown. Given how mentally soft Sanchez has shown himself to be, it's likely that Tanny and/or Rex were afraid of scaring him with a legitimate backup that could play if and when Sanchez went Full Emo. There were options available to them--the Billy Voleks and Matt Hasselbacks and Jeff Garcias and Byron Leftwiches of the world. Bottom line is that there is no viable excuse for any NFL franchise to have to start the league's worst quarterback for two seasons for lack of an alternative. Every team, even those with Hall of Fame quarterbacks, puts a value on having a representative alternative in the event their starter becomes unavailable.

Think if they got 50 something Testaverde off the couch to hand off and throw 15 deep balls every Sunday it couldn't have been any worse. That is a joke, but it;s really hard to understand how or why it is Ryan was ready to go along with no viable backup when there were and are in fact free agents every year who could've filled that role. Again for those of you claiming Rex has a future of lemon yellow suns and lollipops in his next HC job, explain to me how you look at that indifference to offensive blight and sell it to any owner not named Woody Johnson and any fan base. And again this is a coach who is totally defense-oriented at a time when successful teams score tons of points. Simple fact remains you can win with a subpar defense if you have a decent offense, but it does not work the other way around. What organization is going to buy into this kind of ignorance of it's own industry on Day 1?

Coupled with trolling for strangers on craigslist to engage in foot fetish weirdness with the Mrs.; there is no freaking way this guy ever sees the another NFL HC office unless he's visting.

The first two years under Leaf and Jamarcus Russell, (what happened to his comeback, by the way?) were terrible.  The first two years under Sanchez the Jets went to the conference championship.  Statistically he wasn't that good, and you can make the point that he was along for the ride, but the fact is the team performed with Sanchez under center.

Sanchez was considered by just about everybody as a young player doing okay by coming along slowly.

The third year he was clearly not progressing, and the team "fell" to 8-8.  Still, we had 2 good previous years under him, if your "off" year is only .500 that's not doing so bad.  However, some suspicion was beginning to sneak in, and everybody figured he had to come up good in year 4 or the Jets might consider looking somewhere else.

Year 4 was a disaster.

So it only was after year 3 that anybody started having doubts about Sanchez, and not too many at that.  When he failed to respond in year 4 we got the QB that almost everyone except Buffalo rated the best in the draft and who was considered a top ten pick before a mysterious slide for nebulous and insubstantial reasons just before the draft.

What's everyone complaining about?

No matter how you slice it, I can't understand how Parcells takes the Jets to one AFCCG and gets three jobs after, and Rex takes the Jets to two and will not get another HC job. I know about the Giants winning two super bowls - but Rex didn't have Simms at QB, or Bavarro at TE and it didn't take Rex 3 years to get the Jets to the AFCCCG. He did it in his first two. Rex does some dumb things, and has some faults - but overall I cant think of another guy I would rather have at head coach. I certainly do not want to go back to the days of Herm Edwards. I feel like with Rex at the helm the Jets defense will be good every year, all they need to do is surround it with the right pieces and they can get far every year. That is all.

Think if they got 50 something Testaverde off the couch to hand off and throw 15 deep balls every Sunday it couldn't have been any worse. That is a joke, but it;s really hard to understand how or why it is Ryan was ready to go along with no viable backup when there were and are in fact free agents every year who could've filled that role. Again for those of you claiming Rex has a future of lemon yellow suns and lollipops in his next HC job, explain to me how you look at that indifference to offensive blight and sell it to any owner not named Woody Johnson and any fan base. And again this is a coach who is totally defense-oriented at a time when successful teams score tons of points. Simple fact remains you can win with a subpar defense if you have a decent offense, but it does not work the other way around. What organization is going to buy into this kind of ignorance of it's own industry on Day 1?

Coupled with trolling for strangers on craigslist to engage in foot fetish weirdness with the Mrs.; there is no freaking way this guy ever sees the another NFL HC office unless he's visting.

Last years super bowl teams had pretty good defenses. They certainly were not tops in the league in offense. If it went by offense last year it would have been NE and ATL.

Last years super bowl teams had pretty good defenses. They certainly were not tops in the league in offense. If it went by offense last year it would have been NE and ATL.

Big Picture-it was a 34-31 score.Even decent defenses are going to break down when they face a good offense. The Jets can barely score 13 points a game.Defense is wonderful, but it's not as important as scoring points. This is lost on Rex Ryan, and really his whole family.

Big Picture-it was a 34-31 score.Even decent defenses are going to break down when they face a good offense. The Jets can barely score 13 points a game.Defense is wonderful, but it's not as important as scoring points. This is lost on Rex Ryan, and really his whole family.

Which is why they brought in MM, I know you can not win with the garbage the Jets had on offense last year and their philosophy. But I do like the idea of having one side of the ball solved and trying to build around it. It sounds like Rex will have no responsibility on offense this year, and thats the way it should be. He wouldn't be the first HC to win a super bowl with no input on one side of the ball. I'm not sure if some guys like Ditka had an input on any side of the ball. lol

Which is why they brought in MM, I know you can not win with the garbage the Jets had on offense last year and their philosophy. But I do like the idea of having one side of the ball solved and trying to build around it. It sounds like Rex will have no responsibility on offense this year, and thats the way it should be. He wouldn't be the first HC to win a super bowl with no input on one side of the ball. I'm not sure if some guys like Ditka had an input on any side of the ball. lol

Marty will save us?Anyone see anything in his resume that tells you that? I see a guy Andy Reid did not take with him to KC that needed a job and a Jets franchise that needed an established NFL OC for 1 year until they likely can Rex.

Ditka won in 1986 with Rex's dad running the defense.So we are in the position of accepting a HC who DGAF about offense and trying to replicate something that last succeeded almost 3 decades ago.

Anyone want to bet if the Jets will score as many as 31 points in any one game in 2013? I don't see it.

Marty will save us?Anyone see anything in his resume that tells you that? I see a guy Andy Reid did not take with him to KC that needed a job and a Jets franchise that needed an established NFL OC for 1 year until they likely can Rex.

Ditka won in 1986 with Rex's dad running the defense.So we are in the position of accepting a HC who DGAF about offense and trying to replicate something that last succeeded almost 3 decades ago.

Anyone want to bet if the Jets will score as many as 31 points in any one game in 2013? I don't see it.

There is no proof that Reid didn't want MM. MM needed to get away from Reid too in order to establish his own reputation. I'm not saying he will be good or bad, the fact is I have no idea. Like I said earlier, if offense was the key to winning the Super Bowl, someone forgot to tell NE, Den or ATL. You can go back to the year before when the Giants won with a very good defense. Rex is not his father. His father couldnt win a single playoff game. Its really not fair to put them both in the same grouping.

There is no proof that Reid didn't want MM. MM needed to get away from Reid too in order to establish his own reputation. I'm not saying he will be good or bad, the fact is I have no idea. Like I said earlier, if offense was the key to winning the Super Bowl, someone forgot to tell NE, Den or ATL. You can go back to the year before when the Giants won with a very good defense. Rex is not his father. His father couldnt win a single playoff game. Its really not fair to put them both in the same grouping.

MM needed a job, period.

Jints haven't really had a great defense as much as they have had a great pass rush.Despite drafting a battalion of LB and DL guys the Jets still don't have that. May be this year, we'll see. But they still won't score enough to be a playoff team.

It is fit to group Rex with his dad because they both as HCs have been myopically centered on defense and indifferent (and in his dad's case as DC in Chicago, hostile!) to the offense.That's inexcusable. Ryan is here now because Idzik wants to see what he has talent-wise and knows he gets another free year when (not if) he cans Rex in January.And also because Johnson would prefer not to pay 2 coaches in both 2013 and 2014. The idea that Rex Ryan will be here in 2014 is laughable.

Do you maybe think for one second, that if he went to Tanny, and even nudged him a little and said "Hey, we could use a little help at this thing called the qb position", he would have gotten some attention and help there?

Rex was too locked into his boy Mark, to do that.

The team traded picks and players to draft Sanchez fifth overall, then gave him a large contract. If you want get on Rex for anything, get on him for failing to develop Mark. But there was no way he wasn't playing Sanchez considering everything they invested in him.

MM needed a job, period.

Jints haven't really had a great defense as much as they have had a great pass rush.Despite drafting a battalion of LB and DL guys the Jets still don't have that. May be this year, we'll see. But they still won't score enough to be a playoff team.

It is fit to group Rex with his dad because they both as HCs have been myopically centered on defense and indifferent (and in his dad's case as DC in Chicago, hostile!) to the offense.That's inexcusable. Ryan is here now because Idzik wants to see what he has talent-wise and knows he gets another free year when (not if) he cans Rex in January.And also because Johnson would prefer not to pay 2 coaches in both 2013 and 2014. The idea that Rex Ryan will be here in 2014 is laughable.

The Jets were the perfect job for MM to rebuild his reputation with. There is no place to go but up. Its similar to the coach who just came to our high school. He has won 3 state titles and has had multiple college offers. Why come to a high school that won two games last year at varsity and none at JV? Because there is no place to go but up. Then he can get "the right" college job, rather then "a" college job. Even if the Jets offense is respectable next year, which you can do with a little smoke and mirrors, he will be a huge success. 

You can say the same thing about a lot of defenses, as you did the Giants. All great defenses start with getting pressure. 

I do agree that Rex is on the hot seat this year. Why shouldnt he be? He has looked like a buffoon the last two year and even when he won, it was mostly with Mangini's talent. I don't think its already decided that he will be gone though. A 9-7 season with a very good young defense and an improved offense is not out of the question and will be plenty to save Rex.

I'm not a huge fan of Rex Ryan as a HC, but it annoys me to no end when "anonymous" NFL personnel, no matter if they're players, coaches or in the FO, make comments like this without putting their name on it.

Put your name on it or keep your opinions to yourself and your immediate circle.

MM needed a job, period.

The idea that Mornhinweg would have been wandering the job market for long is as laughable as the idea that Rex Ryan is a bad coach.

That said, I don't think I mind it this way. I just wish I could join in and be all on the Jets suck thing...

The idea that Mornhinweg would have been wandering the job market for long is as laughable as the idea that Rex Ryan is a bad coach.

That said, I don't think I mind it this way. I just wish I could join in and be all on the Jets suck thing...

MM's shelves are collapsing under the collective weight of the Lombardis he's earned.The guy barely lasted a year in Detroit, a place that under Matt Millen was quite tolerant of craptacular HCs.

And we are now told Rex Ryan's MO as defensive-oriented coach was very successful last in...1986. Blockbuster Video and beepers, here we come; the Jets' setup is cutting edge.

Again-Ryan is still hee because it works for the GM to have a fall guy and the owner is cheap. MM is here because he needs a job and the Jets had an opening for 1 year. We are looking at a 4-6 win team unless somehow Smith takes the reins and goes crazy.More likely Idzik takes the measure of what talent will be useful in 2014 and gets rid of some bad actors and contracts like Pick 6.

Again-Rex Ryan is in fact a very good DC. The HC thing, not so much.

MM's shelves are collapsing under the collective weight of the Lombardis he's earned.The guy barely lasted a year in Detroit, a place that under Matt Millen was quite tolerant of craptacular HCs.

Mmmm, what a standard. Only a year as the Lions' head coach under Matt Millen? This is a...bad thing?

And we are now told Rex Ryan's MO as defensive-oriented coach was very successful last in...1986. Blockbuster Video and beepers, here we come; the Jets' setup is cutting edge.

Whoever told you that is kind of an idiot. Why even pretend to believe that?

Again-Ryan is still hee because it works for the GM to have a fall guy and the owner is cheap. MM is here because he needs a job and the Jets had an opening for 1 year. We are looking at a 4-6 win team unless somehow Smith takes the reins and goes crazy.More likely Idzik takes the measure of what talent will be useful in 2014 and gets rid of some bad actors and contracts like Pick 6.

Ryan is still here because he's a good coach. Mornhinweg was brought in because he's a good coach. Again, I truly find it hilarious that there's this belief here that Mornhinweg kinda just lucked and wandered into this job. This team is probably better than the predictions if they get better QB play, which COINCIDENTALLY (I'm sure to JN) Mornhinweg has consistently done as an OC.

They will still get out of those contracts after this season whether they win or lose - that's the beauty of the NFL.

Again-Rex Ryan is in fact a very good DC. The HC thing, not so much.

While wrong, it's reasonable to believe this at this point in time. After all it's what great football minds like Anonymous NFC GM, Peter King, Manish Mehta, T0m Shane, Scotty D, and so on have been saying.

....The guy barely lasted a year in Detroit, a place that under Matt Millen was quite tolerant of craptacular HCs.

As Matt Millen is currently admired for being able to hold onto his GM job for so long despite being horrible at it, I'm not sure how your statement hurts Mornhinweg.

Along the same lines, how is it the great coach managed to piss Mike Pettine, a guy who owed him his job, to the point that Pettine would feed Mehta info. ANd then jump to a division rivals? How did bringing in Sparano, giving him no real direction and then cutting him loose play with the coaching fraternity? So the Jets sucked last year because of the OC and the DC and Rex was...an observer?

There is some seriously delusional BS on this thread.

The Jets' defense did better when Rex did more of the play-calling and Pettine did less, so I don't care what Pettine's problem was with Rex.

Sparano might be a better OC than he showed last year, but he tried to institute the ground'n'pound without the proper personnel and it turned out abysmal.  We didn't have a single back the QB could quick pitch to or execute an end run. Joe McKnight was on the roster, but who knows what happened to him?  Who's fault that is I don't know.

I do notice that now we have three quick, fast backs-Ivory, Goodson and now Spann.  Looks like they learned their lesson there, at least.

Along the same lines, how is it the great coach managed to piss Mike Pettine, a guy who owed him his job, to the point that Pettine would feed Mehta info. ANd then jump to a division rivals? How did bringing in Sparano, giving him no real direction and then cutting him loose play with the coaching fraternity? So the Jets sucked last year because of the OC and the DC and Rex was...an observer?

There is some seriously delusional BS on this thread.

Because he was taking playcalling away from Pettine, and would have done it again in 2013.  If done again, Pettine's ascent to (his goal of) being a head coach would be pushed that much further backwards.  If playcalling was taken away from him again in 2013, and if Rex then got fired after the season, it's quite possible Pettine would have had to take a demotion (elsewhere) as a LB or DL coach again.

Coordinators don't much like it when the HC strips them of playcalling duties (or any duties for that matter), and it's particularly humiliating when the team consistently sees a turnaround for the better upon these duties getting stripped away.

Just popping in to check on how that list is going. Safe to assume Scottoooo ran out of names on that huge list of upgrades available?

There is no need of a list. We have been cosnsitently told that if "Rex Ryan had anything representing mediocre talent" at the QB position, he would have 2 SB rings.

Based on that criteria, the list should be long and plantiful.

That Ryan and staff did not do that, is their own fault

There is no need of a list. We have been cosnsitently told that if "Rex Ryan had anything representing mediocre talent" at the QB position, he would have 2 SB rings.

You're not playing Gato's game the right way. Here's how it was supposed to go:

ScottDierking: Matt Moore.

SeñorGato: LULZ Matt Moore sucks!

-------------------------------------------------

ScottDierking: Jeff Garcia

SenorGato: LULZ Jeff Garcia sucks!

Scott Dierking: Matt Hasselback, Byron Leftwich, Marc Bulger, Shaun Hill.

SenorGato: LULZ Matt Hasselback, Byron Leftwich, Marc Bulger, and Shaun Hill SUCK.

You're not playing Gato's game the right way. Here's how it was supposed to go:

ScottDierking: Matt Moore.

SeñorGato: LULZ Matt Moore sucks!

ScottDierking: Jeff Garcia

SenorGato: LULZ Jeff Garcia sucks!

Scott Dierking: Matt Hasselback, Byron Leftwich, Marc Bulger, Shaun Hill.

SenorGato: LULZ Matt Hasselback, Byron Leftwich, Marc Bulger, and Shaun Hill SUCK.

Rotfl. Yeah, I'm the only guy who would react like that. Sign a bunch of concussed or broken boned late 30 QBs, OR a 42 year old who hadn't started until 2008, OR Matt Moore (I'll give the list is now 3 deep - Matt Moore, Peyton Manning, and Russell Wilson - note the variance within that group alone). 

You could have just said "I'm out of ideas, hopefully T0m makes the attempt to bail me out. We're full of dumb ideas together."

The list of guys who are even mediocre QBs is not long Scott. I have no idea why you would believe that in the first place unless you have a very kind, broad definition for mediocre. None of those guys T0m listed for you are not mediocre QBs anymore, they're barely playable guys who hope to catch lightning in a bottle. No different from what is already here besides being someone else's trash/scraps rather than the Jets'. 

Just be a more honest person and say "I have no idea." Nobody would care, we already know. 

You could have just said "I'm out of ideas, hopefully T0m makes the attempt to bail me out. We're full of dumb ideas together."

The list of guys who are even mediocre QBs is not long Scott. I have no idea why you would believe that in the first place unless you have a very kind, broad definition for mediocre. None of those guys T0m listed for you are not mediocre QBs anymore, they're barely playable guys who hope to catch lightning in a bottle. No different from what is already here besides being someone else's trash/scraps rather than the Jets'.

Just be a more honest person and say "I have no idea." Nobody would care, we already know.

Shorter Gato: There are literally no other quarterbacks than Mark Sanchez. Everyone else with the ability to propel the football in a forward direction is entirely unattainable. The alternatives were unthinkable. So there.

Shorter Gato: There are literally no other quarterbacks than Mark Sanchez. Everyone else with the ability to propel the football in a forward direction is entirely unattainable. The alternatives were unthinkable. So there.

No T0m, they probably thought about the alternatives and realized that a 42 year old who hasn't started in 5 years and a group of guys with about 40 concussions and other injuries between them would be a bad idea. Getting those guys through a season healthy would be a miracle, let alone getting a winning record out of that. 

No T0m, they probably thought about the alternatives and realized that a 42 year old who hasn't started in 5 years and a group of guys with about 40 concussions and other injuries between them would be a bad idea. Getting those guys through a season healthy would be a miracle, let alone getting a winning record out of that.

Having a vet backup who may or may not get injured as insurance behind a young, career 54% passer emo QB is better than having vacated the backup position altogether, especially when you can play defense like the Rex Jets were playing it. They screwed the pooch there. It happens.

BTW, I missed you, buddy.

Ah, so now all those guys should be happy to play backup to Mark Sanchez. The narrative gets better! I mean the Jets totally ignored the constantly injured, old, barely standing vet backup route under Ryan! That young buck Mark Brunell never got a fair shot either!

McElroy was as sh*tty as any of those guys would have been with without the cost in money, press, and time (coaches focusing on getting 40 year old random death marked QB ready rather than the young guys who will be relevant moving forward).

In short, it's a dumb idea and the Jets wisely avoided it. Good for them. Good decisions happen too, this would be one of them. 

The debate about the lists can continue, but I go along with Slats' contention:  The first two years nobody thought about replacement, the third year he slipped but it would have been premature to replace him right then, and after the fourth year they drafted his replacement.

All these lists-when were you going to give up on Sanchez and get these people?

How available were any of these QBs to the Jets? I liked Matt Moore, too, but he didn't seem to have any interest in coming here. In fact, he re-upped to be a backup in Miami without even listening to other offers. Same with Peyton, he was never coming here.

And the rest of the list, what were the Jets supposed to offer, and when were they going to offer it? I don't see a guy like Orton coming here to be Sanchez' backup. IMHO, they went after a legitimate threat to Sanchez' job at the right time with Tebow, but they got the wrong guy. And Tannenbaum has publicly said that was his call. So, again, I'm not sure what Rex's liability is here. It's the GM's job to acquire talent, the GM did acquire talent, it's just that the talent the GM acquired sucked.

Sanchez wasn't written off after reaching the AFC Championship his first two seasons, and even in the collapse the following year, it's safe to say that many people thought the problems had as much to do with Schottenheimer and the receivers as it did with Sanchez. It's revisionist to look at the buttfumble of last year and say the Jets should've done something at the QB position - especially when they probably thought they had done something with Tebow, until they saw him in practice.

The handling of the QB position was Tannenbaum's doing, and got Tannenbaum fired. Idzik brought in Smith, so his time on the clock is coming.

Archived