NFC GM: "I don't think Rex gets another head coaching gig."

T0mShane

No T0m, they probably thought about the alternatives and realized that a 42 year old who hasn't started in 5 years and a group of guys with about 40 concussions and other injuries between them would be a bad idea. Getting those guys through a season healthy would be a miracle, let alone getting a winning record out of that. 

So Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn?  There were tons of guys that don't work into that narrative who could have been an upgrade over Sanchez,

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How available were any of these QBs to the Jets? I liked Matt Moore, too, but he didn't seem to have any interest in coming here. In fact, he re-upped to be a backup in Miami without even listening to other offers. Same with Peyton, he was never coming here.

And the rest of the list, what were the Jets supposed to offer, and when were they going to offer it? I don't see a guy like Orton coming here to be Sanchez' backup. IMHO, they went after a legitimate threat to Sanchez' job at the right time with Tebow, but they got the wrong guy. And Tannenbaum has publicly said that was his call. So, again, I'm not sure what Rex's liability is here. It's the GM's job to acquire talent, the GM did acquire talent, it's just that the talent the GM acquired sucked.

Sanchez wasn't written off after reaching the AFC Championship his first two seasons, and even in the collapse the following year, it's safe to say that many people thought the problems had as much to do with Schottenheimer and the receivers as it did with Sanchez. It's revisionist to look at the buttfumble of last year and say the Jets should've done something at the QB position - especially when they probably thought they had done something with Tebow, until they saw him in practice.

The handling of the QB position was Tannenbaum's doing, and got Tannenbaum fired. Idzik brought in Smith, so his time on the clock is coming.

Even if there was a solution available via FA to back up Sanchez, when were they going to pull him?  When the Jets were 8-5 in 2011, pretty much had a playoff spot locked, had the #1 redzone offense in the NFL and Mark was on his way to breaking the single season record for most TD's in franchise history?  I guess you could make an argument to pull him down the stretch when he pretty much choked the season away but thats a ballsy move that probably would have created just as much sh*t throwing at Rex as there is now.  

Look, I hate the ******* kid.  He drives me to stop watching the game.  But you couldnt abandon him as quickly as everyone is making it seem, discussing who his back up should have been is pointless.  They werent getting in.  The organization was committed to their young QB who proved he could win in this league (even though sometimes the team won in spite of him).  Rex pulled him last season after maybe the worst QB performance I've ever seen vs. the Titans when the playoffs were officially out of reach.  He was sh*tting the bed all season but clearly, he really did give the Jets the best chance to win.  McElroy and Tebow arent NFL caliber players.  I get blaming the Jets for not having a good back up last season, but clearly Tebow was forced upon Ryan and to your point, the options available werent going to make much of a difference. 

The handling of the QB situation is what got Tannenbaum fired. So lets be thankful for that. But what options were available? We were talking about guys like Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and Tyler Thigpen at the time. Better than Tebow, for sure, but would they actually have been some sort of solution?

When making the argument that the Jets should've had someone else, there should be a couple names at the ready.

No, it's not. I don't like Sanchez, either. I have no emotional attachment to him. I just understand why they stuck with him.

I asked you to name some legitimate QBs the Jets could've potentially had. I just named three, which is much better than you've done in this thread.

Thigpen not so much, but Campbell has played very well at times, and at his worst, I don't think has ever been as bad as Sanchez.  Gradkowski has played very well at times, though his floor is closer to Sanchez floor.  Either would have been a better backup than Tebow.  Heck, for that matter, I think the Jets could have signed Rich Garcia before drafting Sanchez.  Even if Garcia didn't start during Sanchez' first season or two, as a 40-something year old QB, he would have been better last season than Sanchez.  There were options if Tanny had even a remote inkling of how to do his job.  He didn't.  He should never work again in the NFL unless it's as a cap manager, and Woody should be forced to sell the franchise for having hired Tanny in the first place.

Even if there was a solution available via FA to back up Sanchez, when were they going to pull him?  When the Jets were 8-5 in 2011, pretty much had a playoff spot locked, had the #1 redzone offense in the NFL and Mark was on his way to breaking the single season record for most TD's in franchise history?  I guess you could make an argument to pull him down the stretch when he pretty much choked the season away but thats a ballsy move that probably would have created just as much sh*t throwing at Rex as there is now.  

Look, I hate the ******* kid.  He drives me to stop watching the game.  But you couldnt abandon him as quickly as everyone is making it seem, discussing who his back up should have been is pointless.  They werent getting in.  The organization was committed to their young QB who proved he could win in this league (even though sometimes the team won in spite of him).  Rex pulled him last season after maybe the worst QB performance I've ever seen vs. the Titans when the playoffs were officially out of reach.  He was sh*tting the bed all season but clearly, he really did give the Jets the best chance to win.  McElroy and Tebow arent NFL caliber players.  I get blaming the Jets for not having a good back up last season, but clearly Tebow was forced upon Ryan and to your point, the options available werent going to make much of a difference. 

You make some good points, but a point I haven't seen anyone make in this thread is that if there had been quality backup on hand who could have actually pushed Sanchez a bit or even given the impression that there was a viable QB to turn to if he fell apart, perhaps Sanchez would have played much better.  Even if he didn't, the Jets would have had the option to replace him.

So Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn?  There were tons of guys that don't work into that narrative who could have been an upgrade over Sanchez,

Campbell makes it 4, but he also sucks and gets hurt alot. Flynn got 20/10 on the FA market, no thanks. Even for a future 5th and conditional, the price tag is a nuisance. He probably also sucks. 

Herm Edwards not only got a 2nd head coaching gig, but a team actually gave up a mid-level draft pick for the privilege.  

It may not be right away, but Rex would get another HC gig sooner or later.

Yeah, I would suggest you read the thread. An unnamed NFC GM said otherwise. THEY KNOW! 

Herm Edwards not only got a 2nd head coaching gig, but a team actually gave up a mid-level draft pick for the privilege.

IMO, that's what it'll take for Rex--to have his own Carl Peterson who wants to hire him despite all the reasons not to. Peterson was entrenched in KC and had a personal relationship with Herm from way back. Unfortunately, Herm got him untrenched. Rex is going to need a situation like that, where there's an established GM with relative autonomy over football operations, OR, a Jerry Jones-style nitwit owner who thinks that Rex still sells tickets. No young GM is going to want the headache.

True. And scary as hell.

First off, Rex aint getting fired because we are going to have a better than most expect season, Im thinking 9-7 or 10-6. Geno is the real deal. Second, Rex would get a new job as HC for sure. If you are a franchise that has a really solid OC in place, but who is not HC material, Rex would be the perfect candidate.

Archived