Milliner Holding Out? (MERGED)

flgreen

Ryan “just a little disappointed” Milliner not signed

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 26, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT

Dee MillinerAP

While holdouts have become unusual under the new rookie salary system, the reactions to them are fairly typical.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he was not happy that first-rounder Dee Milliner wasn’t on hand when the rest of the Jets rookies reported to camp.

“I’m just a little disappointed he’s not here,” Ryan said, via Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I’ll coach the guys that are here.”

Milliner, the ninth overall pick, is one of four first-rounders yet to sign, along with Chiefs tackle Eric Fisher (first overall), Cardinals guard Jonathan Cooper (seventh) and Titans guard Chance Warmack (10th).

The Jets need him for practical and symbolic reasons, as he’s replacing traded superstar cornerback Darrelle Revis. Of course, Milliner’s ability to get on the field is also up in the air, as he had shoulder surgery this offseason, and his physical will dictate what he’s able to do.

“Well, we’ll see when he gets here to camp,” Ryan said, when asked if he was ready to practice.

This subtle (or not) pressure is all part of the dance, which will continue until those last four are under contract.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Dee Milliner was the lone rookie not to report today. The Jets' first round pick and ninth overall in the NFL Draft, still has not signed his contract.

He is expected to serve a big role on the team, helping to fill the role left by the trade of Darrelle Revis. Rex Ryan is not sure if Milliner will arrive Friday.

"I'm just a little disappointed he's not here," Ryan said. "I'll coach the guys that are here."

While Milliner may start opposite Antonio Cromartie at cornerback, the All-Pro is not as dismayed as the coach about the rookie being absent.

"He's taking care of the business side," Cromartie said.

Because Milliner has yet to take a physical that goes along with his contract, Ryan is not sure if he will be ready to practice when he arrives. Milliner had shoulder surgery before the draft.

"Well, we’ll see when he gets here to camp," Ryan said.

LOL

Is he related to Revis?  

Meh, I'd expect him to be in very soon.  Unlike Revis, even on his rookie deal, this isn't about money.  This is just a matter of working out the various conditions, which is more an agent thing than a player thing.  I think at this point it's safe to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  At least for now.

Meh, I'd expect him to be in very soon.  Unlike Revis, even on his rookie deal, this isn't about money.  This is just a matter of working out the various conditions, which is more an agent thing than a player thing.  I think at this point it's safe to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  At least for now.

If you wanna feel better about the situation, then sure.

Milliner, the ninth overall pick, is one of four first-rounders yet to sign, along with Chiefs tackle Eric Fisher (first overall), Cardinals guard Jonathan Cooper (seventh) and Titans guard Chance Warmack (10th).

Interesting that the super-guards aren't signed yet. Wonder if their teams are low-balling them due to the lesser value of the position. :D

Also, Milliner holding out makes me laugh. He needs to get his agent on that, though, not a good way for a CB to get acquainted with the former fans of Revis.

If you wanna feel better about the situation, then sure.

We have plenty to feel crappy about as Jet fans.  The media knows it and is not afraid to put it out there as soon as they can.  I say 8 hours over under on them comparing it to the Revis situation.  I'll worry when they start meeting players at Roscoe's Diner again.  

We have plenty to feel crappy about as Jet fans.  The media knows it and is not afraid to put it out there as soon as they can.  I say 8 hours over under on them comparing it to the Revis situation.  I'll worry when they start meeting players at Roscoe's Diner again.  

Me-lliner?

You win.  LOL

If Dee really didn't want to be compared to Revis he wouldn't do the same exact thing Darrelle did his rookie year. It's crazy how much speculation the media prism's the jet's around. Even the Hernandez's case has cooled down a lot more then you would think.

If Dee really didn't want to be compared to Revis he wouldn't do the same exact thing Darrelle did his rookie year. It's crazy how much speculation the media prism's the jet's around. Even the Hernandez's case has cooled down a lot more then you would think.

Dee is going to be compared to Revis regardless of what he does.  He and everyone else knew that the second he got drafted.  I agree with BG this might be a function of the agent rather him.  Revis had Uncle Shawn whispering in his ear and we all know he was making the $$$$$$$$$$$hhhhhh sound. 

Dee is going to be compared to Revis regardless of what he does.  He and everyone else knew that the second he got drafted.  I agree with BG this might be a function of the agent rather him.  Revis had Uncle Shawn whispering in his ear and we all know he was making the $$$$$$$$$$$hhhhhh sound. 

Yeah.. now that you mention it I remember his agent actually getting into a verbal conflict with Tanny in 2010, when he got that band aid check.

I feel bad for Revis because he has to be easily influenced by his agent if he let that happen.. That our he was the same way.

Yeah.. now that you mention it I remember his agent actually getting into a verbal conflict with Tanny in 2010, when he got that band aid check.

I feel bad for Revis because he has to be easily influenced by his agent if he let that happen.. That our he was the same way.

Ultimately it will up to Dee to just tell the guy to do it or not do it.  Not sure we have reached that point. I hope it go's away quick.  

I'm sorry, but this is crap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but holding out with the new rookie pay scales, can only be about off-set language

YOUR AGENT HAD THREE MONTHS TO DO THIS. 

That's exactly what it is, and it was reported as such days ago, which is why I'm not getting that worked up about it at this point.  Offset language is not something a rookie gets himself worked up about, that's the agent.  Do you really think Milliner is even thinking about the possibility of getting cut within the next few years?  Don't get me wrong, if this crap still carries on for an extended period of time my view will likely change, but at this point I think it's both sides hoping that training camp starting will scare the other side into caving into their demands.  I'm guessing this gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

That's exactly what it is, and it was reported as such days ago, which is why I'm not getting that worked up about it at this point.  Offset language is not something a rookie gets himself worked up about, that's the agent.  Do you really think Milliner is even thinking about the possibility of getting cut within the next few years?  Don't get me wrong, if this crap still carries on for an extended period of time my view will likely change, but at this point I think it's both sides hoping that training camp starting will scare the other side into caving into their demands.  I'm guessing this gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

Jets won't budge.  Why should they, the guy is still hurt.

Just not a good way to start your career with the new CBA rules.   Greenseed is right, they have had 3 months

Jets won't budge.  Why should they, the guy is still hurt.

Just not a good way to start your career with the new CBA rules.   Greenseed is right, they have had 3 months

Don't disagree with you, but my only point is I think there's a difference between an agent and team arguing over contract language and a player repeatedly holding out for more money.  Plus you have to realize that the agent probably doesn't want to look bad to his other / future clients considering that the reports were that the top picks didn't have offsets in their contracts.  Hopefully they this get this crap sorted out ASAP and move on.

Don't disagree with you, but my only point is I think there's a difference between an agent and team arguing over contract language and a player repeatedly holding out for more money.  Plus you have to realize that the agent probably doesn't want to look bad to his other / future clients considering that the reports were that the top picks didn't have offsets in their contracts.  Hopefully they this get this crap sorted out ASAP and move on.

Your right but if this goes on for more then a day or two, the NY media is going to have a field day with it.  Milliner is going to have enough pressure coming in and replacing Revis with out Cimini and Mehta making him the camp whipping boy

I know we're all in agreement here, and I understand the process.  It's just a shame that this wasn't worked out sooner, and the fans that DID make the trip were unable to see Milliner (go through drills, ride a bike, whatever...at the very least show up to sign autographs).  All because of language in a contract that would prevent the Jets from paying a player money should he get injured, cut or traded. 

Come on Milliner!! You were injured when we drafted you.  It's not a stretch to say you might not make it four years (knock on wood).

I understand wanting to get paid, but the best way to go about that is to: lock down a roster spot, develop professional grade skills, and cash in on a big pay day once you're established in the league...not this squabbling over money you haven't earned yet.  

Me-lliner?

Damn-it damn-it damn-it!  I wish I'd thought of that.  Effing Matt39!  I could've done that.  I just needed more time.  a little more time, that's all!  Crap!  crappity crap crap.  Me-lliner.  It was right there fer Pete's sake.  I need to find me a good stranglin' monkey.  Not a Macaque or a spider monkey.  Those are too squirmey.  A Howler!  That's what I need right now!  A good stranglin' Howler Monkey.

Archived