Question: Rookie Tannehill or Rookie Geno?

TnT

Ok, let me first start off by saying that Im pretty indifferent on whether to let Geno start right away or sit for a couple games and inevitably after 5-6 games get the green light. I think both have advantages and arguements.

However;

I cant help but think at this point, as a rookie QB, Geno is a more experienced, NFL ready, with greater potential than Tannehill did last year as a rookie. Right?

Just a couple of points for both arguements:

Tannehill started what, 19 games as a college QB?

The Dolphins had limited weapons in '12...Bush being the most dangerous...besides that, Hartline, Fasano, Thomas, Miller...anybody else worth mentioning?

Tannehill had like a 66 passer rating on 3rd downs...worst-ish in the NFL.

He got the job because Garrard went all Garrard, but he did beat Moore out who did some good things the year before...and quite honestly, might be better than Sanchez.

Tannehill did play at A&M for Sherman, then HC who is the OC in Mia.

Dolphins, with Tannehill taking snaps...improved last year...not great season, but looks on the upward.

So I think Tannehill has the potential to be a 15 to 20-25 QB...can break a run, pretty decent arm...to me the jurys still out, as it should be.

Would I take him over Sanchez, YES

Would I take him over Smith, NO

and thats not on some homer sh*t...

I JUST THINK GENO CAN BE BETTER.

What do you think?

If Tannehill can improve the team AS A ROOKIE QB and have a semi solid rookie year, why is it so far fetched that Geno cant do the same?

Anybody?

For the record, Id take UM's Stephen Morris over Sanchez, Tannehill, and Smith.

I seen him live, and DAYUMMM!

Not sure i'd take him over Bridgewater though.

Good day sirs

I haven't seen Geno Smith in a actual game much less a preseason game.. we have seen him throw without pad's one once.. I like it so far. but I cant make a judgment off of just that.

Ok, but the actual question is...

Why can Tannehill start as a rookie and Geno cant....was he a better player at this time last year? I really dont think so.

Why can Tannehill start as a rookie and Geno cant....was he a better player at this time last year? I really dont think so.

Because the team around tannehill actually knew the play book like the back of their hands.. they could help him. Tanny came from a different offense.

Geno was in shotgun 99.99% of his time in WV. It's a big transition to the NFL.

Because the team around tannehill actually knew the play book like the back of their hands.. they could help him. Tanny came from a different offense.

Geno was in shotgun 99.99% of his time in WV. It's a big transition to the NFL.

Wasnt it Shermans first year as an OC in Miami, making the whole offensive side learning a new system?

While I acknowledge the shotgun transition...lets say he is capable. Isnt he a better QB then Tannehill was at this point last year?

Wasnt it Shermans first year as an OC in Miami, making the whole offensive side learning a new system?

While I acknowledge the shotgun transition...lets say he is capable. Isnt he a better QB then Tannehill was at this point last year?

Geno's WV wide out Austin was fast as it get's .. there wasn't much decision making. plus Bailey had close to 30 TD's. I want to see his decision making ability.. then we can see

Geno's WV wide out Austin was fast as it get's .. there wasn't much decision making. plus Bailey had close to 30 TD's. I want to see his decision making ability.. then we can see

Ok, fair enough...like I said, Im on the fence myself

Geno's got a live arm and a great attitude towards football philosophy (aka not an entitled dummy who thinks his arm is the answer to all problems). He understands the big picture and is excited to learn. I know there's a lot more to being a successful NFL QB, but that's a good place to start. 

I don't know much about Tannehill. I do know he was a WR at one point and doesn't have as much NCAA QB experience as Geno, but he played in a tougher conference and a more NFL friendly system at A&M. He also transitioned well into the NFL without many superstars.

I don't see why Geno couldn't be at least as successful as Tannehill.  We can sit here and argue about it all day, but like Mornhinweg said, it's up to Geno to decide if he can start and be successful. He's got the tools, mental and physical. 

Smith has never played under center.  He hasn't ever played in a system that faintly resembles an NFL set.   That is a major step up for a player coming into the league, and a lot more difficult then we, as fans, might think.  Smith has a good arm, and is very fast.  he has a lot of upside, but he is not RG III.   So far in camp Smith has been taking a lot of snaps in a read option role, which I think is a very good place for him to start, but he is a long way from being a franchise QB

IMO, unless Sanchez totally craps the bed in camp, and so far it doesn't look like it, he will be the starting QB on opening day.  We will see Smith a few sets a game in the read option.  If he is at all efficient this will be a problem for DC's to prepare for. 

As long as the Jets stay in contention for a play off spot Sanchez will remain the QB.  I think they will.   The real test will be the 5 murderous games leading up to the bye.  If bye week comes and  the Jets are still in the hunt, Sanchez will remain the QB.  If not, we might see Smith after the bye

Next year will be a different situation.

Archived