Pace the only Jet with 10 or more years experience

Cmartin

George Willis has a column on linebacker Calvin Pace you should check out today. Pace is the only player on the Jets who has 10 or more years in the league. That just shows how young the Jets have gotten this year.

Fans do not embrace Pace because he never became that double-digit sack guy the Jets hoped when they signed him in 2008, but the guy is steady. He is always on the field and his play does not fluctuate much .That is valuable. Willis wrote about his influence on the younger players, too, something that is huge for the Jets with so many young guys being asked to play big roles.

Read more: 3-point stance: Milliner, Jets safeties and Pace http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/point_stance_milliner_jets_safeties_GevcoMs5aNYgRNweOFJpFM#ixzz2adqimFE7

Another solid Draft (specifically TE, S, OLB and WR) and we'll have comparable, if not more talent than NE, Houston, NO, Pitt/ Baltimore. Not SF, Seattle or Denver, unfortunately. They are DEEP. But again, means nothing unless we find THE GUY!! Maybe Geno will be the guy to give us enough to get 20 - 27 points on the board. With our "D" don't think we'll ever need more than that.

Love the positive outlook but...."another" solid draft? We dint know if this past one was solid yet? I'm optimistic but let's see the kids play some before we call this a solid draft. Now if we did find some gems in this draft...and we do next yr...and we use the cap space we have next off season I agree we could then be a competitive team. Not sure we can be as good as the top teams in the conf but we can then be competitive. Its the following off season that we have a TON of cap space and it is after that off season, in yr 3 of the idzik reign, that I think we can arrive. 3 yes is what I think it will take IF we find a qb.

Love the positive outlook but...."another" solid draft? We dint know if this past one was solid yet? I'm optimistic but let's see the kids play some before we call this a solid draft. Now if we did find some gems in this draft...and we do next yr...and we use the cap space we have next off season I agree we could then be a competitive team. Not sure we can be as good as the top teams in the conf but we can then be competitive. Its the following off season that we have a TON of cap space and it is after that off season, in yr 3 of the idzik reign, that I think we can arrive. 3 yes is what I think it will take IF we find a qb.

Tell me.... does NE have a better "D" than us? Will their OL be way ahead of ours? They have an excellent OL, but I think if Colon stays healthy and Winters anchors the left between Brick/Mangold, we are as good. The reason they are ranked so high is that their QB gets rid of the ball in under 3 seconds 70% of the time.

Is Houston's "D" better? I know their secondary isn't. I think we can be on par with their DL, Pittsburgh? Their old and Baltimore has lost a lot of players this off season. Cincinnati has better personnel on "O" and an equal "D". I'm not trying to say our record will be where these teams are this season, but I also think we're only 2-3 players away from being in contention. If our safeties step up and Hill , Kerley step up, and we get average QB play, we go 9-7. Book it!

hey I hope you are right but this was a legit 6 win team last yr, to compete at the top of the conf you need to win 12 or so games, my bet is that this year we win 6. now be positive with some "ifs" and that can change....IF we drafted well this year...IF geno is the future and matures quickly...IF we spend and spend wisely with cap space over the next couple of years...I just think turning things around based on where idzik started is going to be a bit tougher then you seem to think.

Thanks for the article, Cmart.  I've never been a fan of Pace, but liked what I read in this article.  At this point in his career, I think perhaps the best way he can help the team is by mentoring the younger players, and not by being on the field very much.  His play is consistent and he doesn't make many mental errors, but he's just too slow to be effective in either pass coverage or rushing the QB, and really isn't even all that effective against the run.  With his experience and strength he can set the edge, but I recall seeing him get suckered in several times last year and allowing big runs to the outside.  I'd rather see Barnes, Sapp and McIntyre on the field.  At least the have more footspeed and energy to get to plays.  I'd take the athleticm, speed and energy of younger players even with a few mental errors almost every time over an older, slower experienced player.

hey I hope you are right but this was a legit 6 win team last yr, to compete at the top of the conf you need to win 12 or so games, my bet is that this year we win 6. now be positive with some "ifs" and that can change....IF we drafted well this year...IF geno is the future and matures quickly...IF we spend and spend wisely with cap space over the next couple of years...I just think turning things around based on where idzik started is going to be a bit tougher then you seem to think.

I'll remember this discussion in January. Just for fun :shake:

Just wanted to make sure I got this down on (paperless)paper Draft. My 9 vs. your 6 wins. You have the Vegas odds in your corner... I have the happy little smiley faces pulling for me. On a side note, whoever designed this board gave it a lot of tools for posters to use. Although, as I went to the NJO Nets forum(which still utilizes the old format we liked) that format is still the best Hands Down! :face:

Archived