Fireman Ed Comeback? (MERGED)

Cmartin

By Nate Scott

August 1, 2013 at 7:41pm EDT

Longtime Jets fan and crowd-pumper-upper and costume-wearer Fireman Ed gave an interview with Metro New York in which he stated that he was OK with the Jets bringing back the “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!” chant that he used to lead in the stadium.

Why they needed his approval was not immediately clear.

Fireman Ed, whose real name is Ed Anzalone, retired from his role as Fireman Ed last season “because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.” He still goes to the games, but he no longer wears a fireman hat and no longer leads the chant up on the Jumbotron.

“I just want to see the ‘J-E-T-S’ chant continue,” Anzalone said. “What I’d really like to see — I’d like to see a young guy take over and do it his way and continue the Jets chant whatever way that might be. I did what I wanted to do. I tried to make a difference. It wasn’t about me, it never was.”

While loudly and publicly retiring from his role as Fireman Ed might contradict his last sentence there, it is gracious of Anzalone to offer up the chant-leading responsibilities to someone else.

That being said, Anzalone also remained open to one day, possibly, maybe briefly, if they asked really nicely, returning to his role as Fireman Ed.

“…[T]hey knew I wasn’t going to come back,” he said. “It’s just the way it is. But I will always love them, and down the line who knows? I wouldn’t come back on a consistent basis but if you needed me for a big game, who knows?”

Um, needed you?

Anzalone added this (emphasis mine):

“It’s definitely different not doing it. When you’re able to get 80,000 people up — and I was fortunate enough to do that — and not being able to do that, it’s tough, it’s definitely tough. I’d be lying to say that I left the way I wanted to leave. I left because it was time but that wasn’t the way I wanted to go out.
I wanted to go out like any athlete; you always want to go out on top.
I wanted to win a championship and go down the Canyon of Heroes.”

Enough. You wear a costume and lead a cheer in the crowd, Ed. You aren’t Namath out there.

Only in NY!!!!!

So in the same article, Ed first says this about leading the chant:

"It wasn't about me.  it never was."

And then later says this:

"I wanted to go out like any athlete; you always want to go out on top. I wanted to win a championship and go down the Canyon of Heroes."

Really Ed?  Are you sure it wasn't all about you???????

By Nate Scott

August 1, 2013 at 7:41pm EDT

Longtime Jets fan and crowd-pumper-upper and costume-wearer Fireman Ed gave an interview with Metro New York in which he stated that he was OK with the Jets bringing back the “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!” chant that he used to lead in the stadium.

Why they needed his approval was not immediately clear.

Fireman Ed, whose real name is Ed Anzalone, retired from his role as Fireman Ed last season “because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.” He still goes to the games, but he no longer wears a fireman hat and no longer leads the chant up on the Jumbotron.

“I just want to see the ‘J-E-T-S’ chant continue,” Anzalone said. “What I’d really like to see — I’d like to see a young guy take over and do it his way and continue the Jets chant whatever way that might be. I did what I wanted to do. I tried to make a difference. It wasn’t about me, it never was.”

While loudly and publicly retiring from his role as Fireman Ed might contradict his last sentence there, it is gracious of Anzalone to offer up the chant-leading responsibilities to someone else.

That being said, Anzalone also remained open to one day, possibly, maybe briefly, if they asked really nicely, returning to his role as Fireman Ed.

“…[T]hey knew I wasn’t going to come back,” he said. “It’s just the way it is. But I will always love them, and down the line who knows? I wouldn’t come back on a consistent basis but if you needed me for a big game, who knows?”

Um, needed you?

Anzalone added this (emphasis mine):

Enough. You wear a costume and lead a cheer in the crowd, Ed. You aren’t Namath out there.

“It’s definitely different not doing it. When you’re able to get 80,000 people up — and I was fortunate enough to do that — and not being able to do that, it’s tough, it’s definitely tough. I’d be lying to say that I left the way I wanted to leave. I left because it was time but that wasn’t the way I wanted to go out.

to go out like any athlete; you always want to go out on top

. I wanted to win a championship and go down the Canyon of Heroes.”

Only in NY!!!!!

Meh, Kate Uptown did that just dancing the Dougie. 

I like Ed a lot, he got the crowd fired up and we were all allowed to chant every letter ourselves.

Now I am stuck with just one letter and that makes me sad.

That's funny!!! What letter did they give you?

"I wanted to go out like any athlete; you always want to go out on top. I wanted to win a championship and go down the Canyon of Heroes."

I know Ed, not extremely well but have sat next to Ed at a few games,  and know and go to games with people who have worked with Ed. He is a good guy. All the hate especially from people who dont even know him is just plain sickening to me. He got the crowd up, didnt interfere with the game and stayed over an hour after each game and took pics with people. I personally witnessed last year on 2 occasions him being verbally abused by drunken idiots. Thats why he stepped down, not because he is a loser or whatever else people say about him.

The arrogance of this ****in' guy!

I know Ed, not extremely well but have sat next to Ed at a few games,  and know and go to games with people who have worked with Ed. He is a good guy. All the hate especially from people who dont even know him is just plain sickening to me. He got the crowd up, didnt interfere with the game and stayed over an hour after each game and took pics with people. I personally witnessed last year on 2 occasions him being verbally abused by drunken idiots. Thats why he stepped down, not because he is a loser or whatever else people say about him.

Large public events like football games, combined with alcohol, is guaranteed to attract some dumbasses. I don't doubt that he is a nice guy, and I'm sure he was heckled for wearing a Sanchez jersey last year.

However, I do think he loves the attention he gets.  And the article kind of displays it.

I met Ed a few times. He used to come by the 16H tailgate and spent quite a bit of time there. He shook every hand offered and took the time to pose for photos with everyone who asked him to. Ed is OK in my book.

Yeah, there's nothing special about what he did. Any one of us could have led the chant with the Jumbotron for our pulpit. In fact, that's what they should do instead of this "one letter" nonsense, they should go through the stands and find random fans, put them on the screen and let them go.

Ed haters can get in the long line of people who can kiss my ass.

Met him a handful of times and he was always nothing short of a humble gracious guy. Took time to talk with my nephew who is wheelchair bound  due to c/p.

If he got a few perks for adding a little to the game day experience god bless him.

He got tired of putting up with the jealous haters. You know who you are.

I see both sides,..on one hand Ed does seem tom take himself too seriously ( canyon of heroes,? Really Ed? ). .. However the drunken idiot morons who are so inebriated before kickoff they can't see straight, and are only there too start fights because it's what they think they're there for.....they make me sicker than I can ever type into words.....so I can see Ed's reasoning on that part

What a point of debate this past week, huh? The Jets unveil a special procedure to do the once famous “J! E! T! S!” chant. This brought our fan base up in arms, including myself, if you saw my post from earlier this week. People were calling for Fireman Ed to return to his post in our stadium, and to help keep the tradition going.

Well, it turns out that Fireman Ed might be back with us after all. He has been asked by the Jets to return, and has said no in the past. But he is still considering a part-time basis. Specifically, working for big games only. Here it is right from the man himself about returning and about the new situation:

I just want to see the ‘J-E-T-S’ chant continue,” he said. “What I’d really like to see — I’d like to see a young guy take over and do it his way and continue the Jets chant whatever way that might be. I did what I wanted to do. I tried to make a difference. It wasn’t about me, it never was. … I understand what the Jets are doing; they’re trying to keep it going. I’m not mad at them.”

He also revealed that the Jets called him to ask “about reviving his role in getting the crowd active.” Anzalone replied “It’s just the way it is. But I will always love them, and down the line who knows? I wouldn’t come back on a consistent basis but if you needed me for a big game, who knows?”

If you haven’t met Fireman Ed, I hope you do. He is really a terrific guy. It’s a shame he had to quit due to all of the harassment. You will get excited if he decides to return, he is an EXCITING football player.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/03/could-fireman-ed-make-a-part-time-comeback/

Large public events like football games, combined with alcohol, is guaranteed to attract some dumbasses. I don't doubt that he is a nice guy, and I'm sure he was heckled for wearing a Sanchez jersey last year.

However, I do think he loves the attention he gets.  And the article kind of displays it.

He's a good guy, he always stopped for everyone.

theres plenty of other JETS fans that can lead a chant...he's not special...hell...he didn't even start the Chant and he gets credit for it.....

Not really, when Ed wasn't there for a couple of years it was embarrassing watching people try to lead the chant.

I've been going to games since the Jets started playing in the Meadowlands and eve na few games prior at Shea...Ed is no different then any other fan and he wanted to be the official or unoffical face of the Jets or the chant ( which he didn't start or create) then he has to take the good (praise and alike) with the bad ( boos, drunken fan etc)  I too am sure he's a decent guy but prior to being a Jets fan he was a Dolphins fan so maybe he gets ripped abit because of that? but either way, he thinks he's more important then he really is to himself as well as the Jets.

Ed has "used" the Jets for lack of a better word to gain whatever fame he thinks he has or praise heaped on him by fans but the Jets also used him too...I remember him getting pissed because he wanted the Jets to pay his way to road games or something to that effect, he was used in promos for the team, did his skit on the jumbotron prior to kick off, he was even on an episode of "Tanked
 when the guys from the show built  one for Bart Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gdyyjatrY

Once again, he wasn't the first to start the chant but being a longtime fan who has gone to and continues to go to games that with a stadium packed with 75,000+ fans that they need 1 guy to get them fired up? some might disagree but "replying" on Ed to get the fans fired up..they have been "dumbed down" and forgot how to root for the team and when it's quiet in the stadium, they all look for that Ed to fire them up?  I've been there dozen of times where you can hear fans say " Come on Ed! we need you"   which is really laughable to me.

Fans can go out, buy tickets to the game, buy a jersey at Modells, shop for food at Shoprite, buy beer/booze at a liquor store, grill the food in the lot, go take a leak in the bathroom in the stadium but can't or fee lthe need for someone else to make noise or get the crowd pumped?  lol

Ed might be a good guy but in the grand scheme of Jets football, he is very overrated.

When has Ed ever claimed he created the chant? Like it or not Ed is a very popular fan and is beloved all over the NFL community. I guess you're jealous of him.

I've been going to games since the Jets started playing in the Meadowlands and eve na few games prior at Shea...Ed is no different then any other fan and he wanted to be the official or unoffical face of the Jets or the chant ( which he didn't start or create) then he has to take the good (praise and alike) with the bad ( boos, drunken fan etc)  I too am sure he's a decent guy but prior to being a Jets fan he was a Dolphins fan so maybe he gets ripped abit because of that? but either way, he thinks he's more important then he really is to himself as well as the Jets.

Ed has "used" the Jets for lack of a better word to gain whatever fame he thinks he has or praise heaped on him by fans but the Jets also used him too...I remember him getting pissed because he wanted the Jets to pay his way to road games or something to that effect, he was used in promos for the team, did his skit on the jumbotron prior to kick off, he was even on an episode of "Tanked

when the guys from the show built  one for Bart Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gdyyjatrY

Once again, he wasn't the first to start the chant but being a longtime fan who has gone to and continues to go to games that with a stadium packed with 75,000+ fans that they need 1 guy to get them fired up? some might disagree but "replying" on Ed to get the fans fired up..they have been "dumbed down" and forgot how to root for the team and when it's quiet in the stadium, they all look for that Ed to fire them up?  I've been there dozen of times where you can hear fans say " Come on Ed! we need you"   which is really laughable to me.

Fans can go out, buy tickets to the game, buy a jersey at Modells, shop for food at Shoprite, buy beer/booze at a liquor store, grill the food in the lot, go take a leak in the bathroom in the stadium but can't or fee lthe need for someone else to make noise or get the crowd pumped?  lol

Ed might be a good guy but in the grand scheme of Jets football, he is very overrated.

When has Ed ever claimed he created the chant? Like it or not Ed is a very popular fan and is beloved all over the NFL community. I guess you're jealous of him.

Jealous of what? :screwy:

Ed is a figure "head"  he might be important to you but for the majority of fans I don't think so.  I remember when he "announced" that is hurt his knee of had surgery and he couldn't make the games :eek:  like most really cared?  lol

Ed is a figure "head"  he might be important to you but for the majority of fans I don't think so.  I remember when he "announced" that is hurt his knee of had surgery and he couldn't make the games :eek:  like most really cared?  lol

I do not remember any type of announcement from Ed about his knee, when did that happen? Ed is a good guy who,has never done anything detrimental to anyone. There's a thread about him not you and it's not that I think he's important I do not think he deserve the bs.

Archived