Rex Report: Assesses Lack of RB Depth

flgreen

C'mon, dude.  It was only a 20% player turnover.  When up to 16 of 22 starters from last year are being replaced, that's 20% new faces.

HUh?  Do the math again. 16 of 22 new starters is a massive turnover (73%).  That doesn't even take into consideration the backup changes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No onre should be jumpig to any conclusions on Idzik- ah the current squad has not even played a game yet

Exactly.  I understand having concerns or qualms over some of the moves, but nothing can be said definitively yet about any of the FAs they signed with the exception of Garrard.  Ivory could get over his hamstring issues and rush for over 1k yards this season.  Goodson could come back and add another 500 or more.  Colon could play every game.   Things could also possibly be disastrous with regard to all those moves.  We just won't know for certain until the season is over or if one/some of them go down with season-ending injuries or Goodson goes to jail.

Want to know what I like? Yeah, I like some things he's done.  But I also like what he didn't do so far.

- He didn't panic into using up every bit of available cap room in a year where the chances of a SB win are nonexistent.  There were too many holes - with as many as 16 new starters from last year's week 1 lineup - and too few picks and too little cap room to fill them all up with studs in 1 season (if that can even be done at all when there are).

- So what he didn't do was throw a bunch of money at Revis, and didn't scoff at the best offer he could get and instead rationalize, "Hey Revis is worth more than a mid-#1 this year (in a soft round 1) plus a #3 next year.  I'd rather keep him than give him up for so little."  He did NOT do that.  

- At the same time, he didn't get pushed around by Tampa, who bluffed that a 2nd round pick was the highest they'd go (since they knew that their offer of a 2nd round pick was the top offer).

- He also didn't double-down on Sanchez by giving him more bonus money in order to lessen his cap hit this year (something that was brought up as a not-bad idea by more than 1 person as a smart thing to do for 2013).

- He didn't panic on Geno Smith - who he clearly liked - by taking him with the #9 pick, the #13 pick.  He didn't do something even worse than that, like get snookered into trading UP for Geno Smith from #9 to #5 or higher.  He also didn't even trade up from #39 to #33 or whatever to get him either.  Easy to say in hindsight that trading up from #9 never would have happened, but this kid was more likely to have gone inside the top 5 than he was to go 7 picks into round 2.  Idzik had a plan and didn't abandon it because "Holy crap the draft's top QB just fell into our lap at #9 (or #13) and all we have right now is f*cking Sanchez." 

- He didn't blow a sh*tload of money on Ryan Fitzpatrick.  As much as I don't like Sanchez, I'd rather have Sanchez for 1 more year (losing his job to Geno Smith) and then be done with him, than be locked into Sanchez's money PLUS Fitzpatrick getting $4M or whatever and not taking a shot on the draft's best QB prospect.

- He didn't go after a RB like Steven Jackson.  Jackson may very well have a good season this year (and maybe even next year), but his prime is over and by the time this team is realistically retooled enough for a serious SB run we'll wish we had someone younger & faster & more durable.  

- He didn't double-down on guys like Slauson or Moore, re-signing them so they couldn't hit free agency.  That could have only led to a $3M/year extension for each entering a draft super-deep in offensive linemen.  This would have locked us into ignoring OL in the draft because 4/5 of the OL was locked up long-term & far from a need.  So we'd have then reached for a (theoretically) lesser player at a need position.  He didn't do that, so I'm happy.  If none of these guards pan out, I won't be happy because of what it says about our scouts, but Slauson and Moore are not long-term solutions at $3M/year (or even $2M/year) for a team that wants to win a SB.

- He didn't re-sign Landry for a silly amount for a guy that brittle.  I liked Landry just fine when he was here, but I really liked him because of the production we got on a low-risk, reasonable-dollar contract.  How quickly people forget that signing him for ONE year was seen as a shaky move in 2012, given his injury history.  Now we're supposed to sign him with 5x the guaranteed money (which also guarantees passing up on younger/cheaper solutions that allow cap dollars to be spent elsewhere)? If we could have had him for far less, which we couldn't, then I'd have been interested in retaining him.  One of Tannenbaum's best acquisitions ever, and I'm happy Idzik took our chips back off the table instead of letting it ride on him (and getting a pick for him next year to boot).

- I like that he didn't panic into re-signing Keller to long-term/big-money in February (like Slauson/Moore) out of fear that we couldn't re-sign him so cheaply in March and fear of potentially having only Cumberland or worse heading into the season.  He didn't worry that Keller was Sanchez's favorite target or any of that garbage.  We got off the hook with him & got ok production for most of his 5 years, but he had plenty of holes in his game and I'm happy not signing up for more while also getting a compensatory pick for him next season.

In short, he didn't try to fix so many things in 1 year instead of letting the salary cap chickens come home too roost & then be done with it starting next year.  Tannenbaum should have done that in 2012; instead he extended Sanchez to make a little extra room, signed Tebow, retained Holmes when he could have just cut the cord (albeit expensively in the short-term, but it would have been cheaper long-term).  Then he traded up for Hill because we were desperate for a WR to start right away (exactly the type of prospect Hill was NOT).  The SB in 2012 was a pipe-dream and Tannenbaum should have known it.  Those questionable moves he made he could have instead NOT made & we could have already been a more formidable team in 2013.

So that's why I give Idzik credit.  It's not because I love Milliner or Geno Smith or whoever.  It's because in addition to liking most of the moves he's made so far, I like most of the moves he didn't make.  That and throw in some shiny new thing syndrome that always gives people more credit than they're probably entitled to, and I'm happy with our new GM thus far.

Excellent post imo.   :sign0098:  =D>

HUh?  Do the math again. 16 of 22 new starters is a massive turnover (73%).  That doesn't even take into consideration the backup changes.

Yes, that was the joke.  We are doing a f*ckload more than a "typical" 20% turnover that teams do in their versions of mass-rebuilds.  It bears NO resemblance to any typical "retooling" that yields playoff performances for other teams.  Especially when that retooling had to be done on the cheap initially because dumping so many people didn't even result in the immediate clearance of $30M+ in cap space.

I was poking fun at the comparisons to other teams' "rebuilding" seasons that are usually nothing like what we're undergoing.

Yes, that was the joke.  We are doing a f*ckload more than a "typical" 20% turnover that teams do in their versions of mass-rebuilds.  It bears NO resemblance to any typical "retooling" that yields playoff performances for other teams.  Especially when that retooling had to be done on the cheap initially because dumping so many people didn't even result in the immediate clearance of $30M+ in cap space.

I was poking fun at the comparisons to other teams' "rebuilding" seasons that are usually nothing like what we're undergoing.

OK, thanks.  I thought surely you must have been being sarcastic, but since I don't know you that well, thought maybe being a Jets fan had finally gotten to you and you were rip-roaring drunk or something.

Archived