The Official Green and White Scrimmage Thread

T0mShane

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what I took from today is Geno is going to be the real thing. He really throws it well. He needs to get more reps. I have been trying as hard as anyone trying to back Sanchez but I am done. He just does not make enough plays. Geno looks like he can make all the throws and make plays. He needs work but looks to be getting better. If he keeps improving he looks like the real deal.

2nd tm O vs 2nd D.

Geno sacked. Had FOUR free runners. FOUR

How does this happen? Both Gs and Ts block 1 guy while the RB and TEs take a nap? WTF...This has got to be a perfect play call from Rex vs a very unfortunate play call from Marty.

So what I took from today is Geno is going to be the real thing. He really throws it well. He needs to get more reps. I have been trying as hard as anyone trying to back Sanchez but I am done. He just does not make enough plays. Geno looks like he can make all the throws and make plays. He needs work but looks to be getting better. If he keeps improving he looks like the real deal.

i took away that geno is gonna be our future but should sit half or 1/4 year. It sounds like hes having trouble with protections and holding the ball too long and i dont want him to get obliterated

i took away that geno is gonna be our future but should sit half or 1/4 year. It sounds like hes having trouble with protections and holding the ball too long and i dont want him to get obliterated

We don't truly know if he is holding on to the ball too long until we see him in a game environment. Russell Wilson was getting that knock last year in preseason, then in the preseason games he avoided the rush and made plays. And Geno IS elusive like Wilson. Also. pretty much the entire broadcast team and Westy thought Geno was ahead of Sanchez period, and that it was offensive line issues not Geno recognizing the blitz that led to his "sacks"

Tom Shane was at the Green and White scrimmage and did an excellent job of http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/111453-the-official-green-and-white-scrimmage-thread/.  Definitely check out that thread for a near play-by-play recap of the scrimmage.  Tom also wrote up a brief recap of his observations which appear below:

The Jets played their Green and White Scrimmage tonight. Here are some…BULLET POINTS:

–If the job of quarterback solely entailed throwing the ball to receivers, Geno Smith would win it easily. But throwing the ball to a receiver only happens if the quarterback can call protections and identify the blitz, which Geno simply cannot do at this point. Rex’s blitz packages confused Geno much moreso than they did Mark Sanchez, and Geno would have gotten crushed a minimum of five times easily. Until he gets a handle on keeping blitzers off of him, Rex needs to keep Geno on the bench.

–There really was nothing redeeming about Sanchez’s play tonight. He was inaccurate both short and deep, and everything he does lacks confidence at this point. The pick he threw to Antonio Cromartie down the left sideline was putrid rookie-type garbage (safety help over Vidal Hazelton, with Cro appearing to be the intended receiver). In short, he looks like he’s given up. He closed the scrimmage with a bomb to Stephen Hill, who beat Ellis Lankster one-on-one. Even Sanchez looked surprised it was completed.

Bilal Powell was quietly the offensive star of the game, showing good vision, power, and wiggle to pick up yards. He reminded me a lot of Joe Morris in the way that he would get under tacklers and drive through them to eke out an extra couple of yards.

–The flip side of Powell looking good was that the interior defense looked soft. David Harris looks lighter on his feet, but he wasn’t as stout against blockers as he usually is, Demario Davis was pushed back at times, and–most glaringly–Kenrick Ellis was easily handled on running plays. Ellis’ game is all finesse, it seems, which is the opposite of Sione Pouha, whom the Jets will sorely miss.

–The Marty Mornhinweg offense will feature a lot of rollouts and screens to go along with intermediate slants and posts–all conducive to helping a young QB. You can definitely see why QBs who weren’t exactly gifted have prospered in it before–it doesn’t require great arm strength or complicated reads.

You can read more of Tom’s thoughts and fan reaction in the Recap thread.

With all the attention the QBs are getting I hope the coaches are paying attention to the defenses lack of tackling ability. 

Welcome! GKnight83. Glad you got the message over at the NJ.com board.

As to your point, it really seemed as if the "D" was having a tough time in the secondary and making tackles. In watching some of the video highlights

it seemed as if the "D" going easy a bit. You could tell they weren't lining guys up to ring their bell.... at least I hope that's the case. With the rash of injuries throughout the league, i'd rather they save the "bell ringing" for the other teams once pre-season games begin

Hi eboozer.  Thanks for suggesting a move here.  I am enjoying the increased quality of observations and comments here.

I should have been more specific with my comment.  Not sure it has anything to do with a lack of intensity.  It seemed to me that the D folks were not wrapping up their targets.  Perhaps I am just being hyper-critical.

Hi eboozer. Thanks for suggesting a move here. I am enjoying the increased quality of observations and comments here.

I should have been more specific with my comment. Not sure it has anything to do with a lack of intensity. It seemed to me that the D folks were not wrapping up their targets. Perhaps I am just being hyper-critical.

That was definitely the case, particularly Kenrick Ellis and Demario Davis (IIRC).

Archived