Can Bilal Powell Be The # 1 RB?

JetNation

When the Jets acquired running back Chris Ivory this off-season he was immediately placed at the top of the depth chart.  Mike Goodson was signed and many believed that Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight would have to fight for a roster spot.  A few things have changed in the first week of camp:

• Mike Goodson still isn’t in camp and his future status is unknown
  • Chris Ivory has been hurt
  • has had a variety of issues in camp so far

So the question that needs to be asked is, can Bilal Powell be the starting running back if needed?  He ran for 437 yards last year and had a 4 yard per carry average.  He has looked good in #JetsCamp so far, the practice reports have been encouraging.  In the green and white scrimmage he was impressive.

Bilal Powell
was quietly the offensive star of the game, showing good vision, power, and wiggle to pick up yards. He reminded me a lot of Joe Morris in the way that he would get under tacklers and drive through them to eke out an extra couple of yards.

Powell was asked if he had could be the # 1 starter.  He responded:

I just want to come out and work hard every day. We’ll see how everything rolls out from there. It’s out of my control. My thing is just to come in and put good things on film and allow the coaches to see what the roster or the depth chart is.

He was also asked about why he had success today and he praised his offensive line and offensive coordinator Marty Morhinweg. He is saying the right things and has been doing the right things on the field. If Chris Ivory is healthy, the Jets will have a nice 1-2 punch at RB. If Ivory isn’t healthy we will find out if Powell is ready to carry the load by himself.

I have always liked Powell and what he did when he got on the field. Good vision and quick decisions. However, I don't think he's a 1st & 2nd down back. We need Ivory. That being said, he can be the #2 since since it appears Goodsen, when and if he comes back, will need a few weeks to get in game shape. I think McKnight is gone. The dude is SOFT. Powell and Spahn are proving to be better players and don't take plays off.

if our offensive line opens up holes, all our rb's will look good. Remember when Thomas Jones was breaking long runs for us, and he's not that great really. We were down on Shaun Green the last year or two, but he was breaking big ones a few years back when backing Jones, because our offensive line was better, and we had a semblance of a passing game to keep the D honest. These last 2 years, we haven't seen too many holes for anybody. Green was runnng into a wall on most plays. That being the case, I want a guy who has the speed to break one every once in a while, and not just a grinder, which is what Powell is.

I'm hoping the mini-draft nets the Jets a decent TE and RB. In the meantime, I expect Mornhinweg to do some scheming of his own. Misdirections, screens. The offense was gonna be a problem. We all knew that going in. If Geno and a receiver or two can surprise, maybe we'll have something.

Still think Sanchez should take the early season lumps, though. Send Geno out there once the retooled OL is operating like a unit.

bilal would produce, given reps. as eboozer noted his vision is awesome and that makes up for him not being the biggest or the fastest. He runs tough and always north/south. the RB position, even tho I am bitching about the Goodson and Ivory signings, is probably fine with Bilal Powell. 

bilal would produce, given reps. as eboozer noted his vision is awesome and that makes up for him not being the biggest or the fastest. He runs tough and always north/south. the RB position, even tho I am bitching about the Goodson and Ivory signings, is probably fine with Bilal Powell. 

We need a guy who is explosive and can break some big ones. Not a guy who is "safe" and will average 3.5 yards a carry. He had reps last year, he wasn't anything worth writing home about. If the higher ups had any confidence in him, they wouldn't have brought in two guys... a broken player and a law breaker. 

the jets don't have a #1 back

that kinda stinks if you look at the WR talent

any jets fan expecting more than 4 wins needs to wallpaper the TV room with bubble wrap

We had no WR talent last year and the worst QB play maybe ever and still won 6.  I like our chances to win more than 4.

When the Jets acquired running back Chris Ivory this off-season he was immediately placed at the top of the depth chart.  Mike Goodson was signed and many believed that Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight would have to fight for a roster spot.  A few things have changed in the first week of camp:

• Mike Goodson still isn’t in camp and his future status is unknown

I'm still surprised the media hasn't figured out where Goodson is! Track his baby momma or bug his Mom's phone... they just don't have the same skills as they used to.

... We were down on Shaun Green the last year or two, but he was breaking big ones a few years back when backing Jones, because our offensive line was better, and we had a semblance of a passing game to keep the D honest. These last 2 years, we haven't seen too many holes for anybody.

That's because we had LT doing end runs and taking quick pitches to beat the defense to the corner.  Not to mention receiving a pass or two during the game.

A straight ahead runner with power who doesn't catch passes like Greene can still be effective IF there are other people on the team who can do these things.  There's a reason Ladainian Tomlinson gave this offense such a boost.  The same reason the boost disappeared when he left.

The signings of Ivory and Goodson might not be working out, but it does show that the team is aware of the need for a quick back.  The signing of Curtis Spann further indicates that the team in now dedicated to have a fast, explosive runner as part of the running back mix.

I'm still surprised the media hasn't figured out where Goodson is! Track his baby momma or bug his Mom's phone... they just don't have the same skills as they used to.

I know it's a stretch, but it's just possible that the press are actually being human beings here, and giving Goodson a little privacy while he sweats out his demons in a rehab. Cimini seemed to allude to having a good idea where he was in one of his Q&As.

I'm hoping the kid cleans up, and that it helps him with his pending legal troubles, too. If he comes out grateful and humble, he could still turn out to be a solid signing.

I have always liked Powell and what he did when he got on the field. Good vision and quick decisions. However, I don't think he's a 1st & 2nd down back. We need Ivory. That being said, he can be the #2 since since it appears Goodsen, when and if he comes back, will need a few weeks to get in game shape. I think McKnight is gone. The dude is SOFT. Powell and Spahn are proving to be better players and don't take plays off.

Sorry, I don't understand or agree with that kind of thinking.  Typical 3rd down backs are scatback types, small, quick and fast.  That is NOT Powell.  He has excellent hands, but is more a prototypical RB.If he isn't a 1st and 2nd down RB, then he isn't a RB.  Goodson is much more of a 3rd down back than Powell imo.

We had no WR talent last year and the worst QB play maybe ever and still won 6.  I like our chances to win more than 4.

believe it or not, the passing offense wasn't even worst in the NFL last year, and it can get worse.  the o-line will be worse, and the running game will be worse.  the offense will be so bad, the jets will miss greene

Sorry, I don't understand or agree with that kind of thinking.  Typical 3rd down backs are scatback types, small, quick and fast.  That is NOT Powell.  He has excellent hands, but is more a prototypical RB.If he isn't a 1st and 2nd down RB, then he isn't a RB.  Goodson is much more of a 3rd down back than Powell imo.

No, not a scat back, but good at protection(which Rex mentioned twice in this short amount of time) and he can catch the ball out of the backfield which he has done numerous times this camp. You don't have to be Sproles to be a 3rd down back.

believe it or not, the passing offense wasn't even worst in the NFL last year, and it can get worse. the o-line will be worse, and the running game will be worse. the offense will be so bad, the jets will miss greene

Shonn Greene? The Jets will miss 3 yards and falling over? Please. Dude was nothing special and easily replaced.

No, not a scat back, but good at protection(which Rex mentioned twice in this short amount of time) and he can catch the ball out of the backfield which he has done numerous times this camp. You don't have to be Sproles to be a 3rd down back.

OK, that I can buy, but I still think he can be effective on earlier downs.

They actually brought this up on NFLN.  I believe it was Dennis Greene (I could be wrong), who basically said, "No"..."#1 RBs need to be sturdier than 205 if they're going to last the pounding of the season".  At his size, Powell is perfect for what his role here should be, which is a RBBC. 

Bilal Powell is more than capable of filling the shoes of Shonn Greene.  The fact we're even discussing this is absurd.

Considering Powell's best year isn't as good as Greene's worst year, having the discussion is not absurd. It's very much warranted, actually.

I think they could use a big back as well.

I don't think Greene was bad, just one dimensional and after LT was done they had no complement for him.  You need a Washington/LT type to throw the defense off a little for an effective running game.

They went and got some small backs and at least one of them should be decent.  Now if they can pick up a big one, even if it's just to spell Powell,  they might be in good shape on the ground game.

They actually brought this up on NFLN.  I believe it was Dennis Greene (I could be wrong), who basically said, "No"..."#1 RBs need to be sturdier than 205 if they're going to last the pounding of the season".  At his size, Powell is perfect for what his role here should be, which is a RBBC. 

The general premise is okay, but even a RBBC needs a #1.  I'm pretty sure that Powell is as big as Tiki Barber and some of the other lead backs in RBBC sets.  

Archived