Mehta goes full troll: Jets Fans Show No Class in Booing Sanchez

T0mShane

NY Jets fans show no class by booing Mark Sanchez for camp interception

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1418423

CORTLAND – Somewhere along the way, a segment of the Jets fan base morphed into sad, self-loathing people who, frankly, don’t deserve a Super Bowl team.

The silent majority of long-suffering fans are sensible, fully appreciative that Rex Ryan’s teams have delivered some indelible moments the past few years, and aware that 2013 will be a rebuilding season.

It’s too bad that the obnoxious minority reared its ugly head by voicing displeasure toward one of its own during an intrasquad scrimmage over the weekend. A few thousand Jets “supporters” hid behind their First Amendment rights when booing Mark Sanchez after an interception in practice.

Antonio Cromartie rightfully called it “bull crap”. . .and he wasn’t alone. It was embarrassing behavior that ran contrary to Ryan’s mission to build excitement entering 2013.

“Hey, you’re preaching to the choir,” Sanchez told the Daily News on Monday about the absurdity of booing players in practice. “You heard what Cromartie said. Cromartie was pissed. Cromartie’s like, ‘What are you talking about? You’re going to come here and boo? For what? Then don’t come.’ A lot of guys feel like that.”

Fans have been understandably frustrated with Sanchez’s penchant for turnovers in the past two seasons, but this was a pathetic display.

It was a free scrimmage. In August.

Although Ryan admitted on Monday that fans “can do whatever they want,” he underscored the need to look beyond the team’s recent mistakes with a positive eye toward the future.

“We want our fans behind us at all times,” Ryan said. “Obviously guys make mistakes. . .We don’t want our guys getting booed, especially from our fans because we all are in green and white, including our fans. This game’s tough enough . . . but we need to support each other.”

Sanchez, who has become an easy target for fickle fans, has always taken the high road in the face of criticism. Not long after his interception prompted boos, he fired a practice-ending 57-yard touchdown to Stephen Hill, which drew a roar from the crowd.

“I throw the interception and people wanted to kick me out of the stadium,” Sanchez said. “I come back and throw the last pass, that’s all you hear when you’re signing autographs: ‘Hell of a pass, man! What a great throw! Great job!’ ”

“It’s not like they’re like, ‘Boo! You threw an interception and you’re a real jerk,’ ” Sanchez added. “It’s not like, ‘Boo! You’re a real a--hole. You’re a bad person. Boo! You speed down the highway, run red lights and punch old ladies.’ No . . . they’re booing because I made a bad play.”

The fans who booed on Saturday don’t deserve Sanchez, who once upon a time won four road playoff games with a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio. It may be time to move on if rookie Geno Smith outplays Sanchez in the preseason and earns the starting job, but some Jets fans have turned classless behavior into a science.

They wallow in self-pity, chastising ESPN’s constant airing of the “Butt Fumble,” but invoking it themselves in conversation. They sometimes treat classy people like trash, as if cheering when Chad Pennington suffered an injured ankle in the 2007 season opener will bring them a Lombardi Trophy faster.

Sanchez is a flawed quarterback who helped bring success to this middling franchise. He’s in an open competition with his teammate now. The fans should encourage both guys.

Instead, some poke fun at Sanchez’s head band or make jokes that he jumped the shark

Emboldened Twitter tough guys take their jabs, too.

They want Smith to start. I get it.

However, the crude behavior only serves to make them the butt of jokes around the league. Apparently, they don’t know any better.

So, they continue to boo one of their own.

“What do you do?” Sanchez said in a quiet moment after practice Monday. “What should I say? I can’t sit there and pout. There’s no point. That’s not going to get me anywhere. The more time I spend worrying about that, maybe I don’t realize why I threw the interception. . . . If I’m getting booed, I’m not going to change anybody’s opinion in the 30 seconds I’m allowed to pout. . . . It’s this spiral. Why even go down that road?”

Sanchez joked that he’s gone through enough professional hardship in the past couple years to last 10 lifetimes. He’s been able to compartmentalize the ill will from fans.

“If it hurts you or bothers you or affects you on the next play, then you shouldn’t play this position,” he said. “You have enough inside of you and enough mental makeup to put yourself out there. If you can’t handle the criticism, then don’t do it.”

Sanchez has always been California cool. He may never become what some Jets fans thought he’d be, but he’s been the picture of class.

In that way, Sanchez will always differ from them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, you should've listened to me when I told you to punch him in the face if you saw him.  I actually agree with some of his points, but he's still a dick.  He only wrote this to start sh*t and incite a riot.  He's like Cimini that way.

Not for nothing, but based on that article, Sanchez has a much thicker skin than Manish Mehta.

I think fans should boo Mehta to see if he can handle it as well as Sanchez. 

Mehta has no balls and no spine.  Criticize him in any way on Twitter and he'll block you.

The guy made 10M last year and played terribly, why do they act like he's a victim. II'll gladly sign up for 50M to play football and bang models with the only downside being occasionally get booed by a middle aged blobs with a fistfulls of hot dogs

The guy made 10M last year and played terribly, why do they act like he's a victim. II'll gladly sign up for 50M to play football and bang models with the only downside being occasionally get booed by a middle aged blobs with a fistfulls of hot dogs

Or a drunk Tom Shane

The fans who booed on Saturday don't deserve Sanchez

Totally ok with this, Manish.

I wonder what the he thinks about Pats fans who booed Brady not long ago.  Based on their respective performances, I assume the corollary would be the death penalty.

Sanchez, who's become an easy target for fickle fans

Fickle: Adj: Changing frequently, esp. as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

4... Years...

but he's been the picture of class

Class!

Not for nothing, but based on that article, Sanchez has a much thicker skin than Manish Mehta.

I think fans should boo Mehta to see if he can handle it as well as Sanchez. 

-Boo! ls this disruptive? You find it hard to work with someone interrupting? 
-How'd you like it if l called security? 
-Security? l don't know how you'll make it in this business if you can't take it. You got to be tough. Booo!!

Jerry_Confronts_Toby.jpg

I had no idea that booing was such an affront to one's being. You'd think they had thrown things on the field or rioted or something. What was the reaction supposed to be? Perfect quiet? Clapping? "You'll get em' next time, Mark!" ?

For Mehta to be personally offended by this is actually offensive to me. I don't need to be told I'm a horrible fan. See, now I feel like I'VE been booed. Just hurtful. Went and ruined my day.

News for Manish, fans are voting with their feet. It's not a vocal minority...it's a growing and impatient minority....maybe things would've been less frustrating if there weren't thousands of PSL's involved, but all I can say is that, for three years straight, we have moved a block of 8 seats in the upper deck,(the NON PSL area!) straight down in their entirety...we are practically in the mezzanine at this point!....and management is threatening to bring PSL holders to court if they default...but pay that no mind Manish, the majority are content with the product! 

I'm no psychiatrist but, to me, this smacks of Mehta lashing out at his many Twitter bullies under the guise of standing up for Sanchez.

I'm hoping Sanchez throws a pick today.  Just to go on twitter and type: @MMethaNYDN BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea that booing was such an affront to one's being. You'd think they had thrown things on the field or rioted or something. What was the reaction supposed to be? Perfect quiet? Clapping? "You'll get em' next time, Mark!" ?

For Mehta to be personally offended by this is actually offensive to me. I don't need to be told I'm a horrible fan. See, now I feel like I'VE been booed. Just hurtful. Went and ruined my day.

Something akin to T-Ball.

“It’s not like they’re like, ‘Boo! You threw an interception and you’re a real jerk,’ ” Sanchez added. “It’s not like, ‘Boo! You’re a real a--hole. You’re a bad person. Boo! You speed down the highway, run red lights and punch old ladies.’ No . . . they’re booing because I made a bad play.”

Manish - "According to an anonymous source, Mark Sanchez disregards automobile safety and punches old ladies."

Tom, you should've listened to me when I told you to punch him in the face if you saw him. I actually agree with some of his points, but he's still a dick. He only wrote this to start sh*t and incite a riot. He's like Cimini that way.

Yeah, this was transparently BS. He couldn't give two sh*ts about Mark Sanchez's feelings. Someone has to do a Find and Replace on Mark=Manish; Sanchez=Mehta just to see how perfectly it fits here.

-Boo! ls this disruptive? You find it hard to work with someone interrupting? 
-How'd you like it if l called security? 
-Security? l don't know how you'll make it in this business if you can't take it. You got to be tough. Booo!!

Jerry_Confronts_Toby.jpg

I'd love for someone to stand over him while he types his daily report and heckle him brutally. 

The we'll see if he's a man. 

So, this begs the question, what kind of piece of sh*t does this make Mehta for turning his job, in which he is supposed to be acting like a professional, into an opportunity to go so far beyond some simple boos, to the point of crapping all over an entire fan base in a published article, simply because of his personal disagreement regarding their opinions of a player who has failed this team for over 4 years now?

The entire basis of this article inherently has Mehta classifying himself as far worse of a person than any of those whom he is attempting to admonish.  Of course I'm sure he's far too stupid of a douche to realize that.

Just when I thought I couldn't hate this piece of trash Mehta more than I already do,...he had the gall to go on and also say the Jet fans that booed Sanchez don't deserve a super bowl, so now this joke clown is going to tell 42 year old Jet fans like me and countless others what we deserve? Does this guy even know the torture we've been through?....I'm a lifelong Jet, Met fan....hopefully I wont offend anyone with this but you know who doesn't deserve another title? The 23 year old Giant, Yankee fan who calls wfan and screams like a sick spoiled brat after the Giants lose a game or the Yanks lose 2 of 3 to Tampa in June that's who!..Does this expert journalist realize some of the guys who've been booed in this town?....Ewing, Piazza,Strawberry, Eli Manning, Carmelo,...and yes even Derek Jeter a few years back when he was 0 for April......hey Mehta I know you read these blogs so read this....F####!!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!!M!MM

Just when I thought I couldn't hate this piece of trash Mehta more than I already do,...he had the gall to go on and also say the Jet fans that booed Sanchez don't deserve a super bowl, so now this joke clown is going to tell 42 year old Jet fans like me and countless others what we deserve? Does this guy even know the torture we've been through?....I'm a lifelong Jet, Met fan....hopefully I wont offend anyone with this but you know who doesn't deserve another title? The 23 year old Giant, Yankee fan who calls wfan and screams like a sick spoiled brat after the Giants lose a game or the Yanks lose 2 of 3 to Tampa in June that's who!..Does this expert journalist realize some of the guys who've been booed in this town?....Ewing, Piazza,Strawberry, Eli Manning, Carmelo,...and yes even Derek Jeter a few years back when he was 0 for April......hey Mehta I know you read these blogs so read this....F####!!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!!M!MM

Your 38th post is a great one.

when is booing the starting QB considered classy? It might be deserved, it might be within our rights but no one can call it classy. 

It was only a matter of time before you swooped it to defend Mehta.  There was really never any doubt.

Booing may not be considered classy, but that doesn't mean booing merits an article about classlessness of the fan base.

The more I think about it, the more this just looks like a desperate attempt to get attention by Mehta, by playing on the sentiments of a vulnerable fanbase to drive attention his way. Francessa is very good at this as well...but Mehta isn't nearly as insightful, which is saying a lot...

Wanna give him the ultimate bird? Don't click the link...don't tweet him.. let him fade into obscurity on this one...til he posts something even more outrageous and it bites him in the butt

I'd rather Jets fans boo poor play than cheer an injury.  Now THAT is classless.

Oh thanks for reminding me...like when we cheered Pennington going down, in favor of Kellen Clemens? Mark needs to sack up.

Wait... that doesn't really make us look too sharp there.

Is it just me or does it look like they turned off the comments for this article?  Anyone have the email address for someone important there at the Daily News?  This article was way out of line, even for him.  If comments aren't even allowed now, that just proves how cowardly he is.

Oh thanks for reminding me...like when we cheered Pennington going down, in favor of Kellen Clemens? Mark needs to sack up.

Wait... that doesn't really make us look too sharp there.

If you read the article, Sanchez isn't the one with the problem. Mehta's the little bitch. 

Archived