Mehta goes full troll: Jets Fans Show No Class in Booing Sanchez

T0mShane

when is booing the starting QB considered classy? It might be deserved, it might be within our rights but no one can call it classy. 

since when have football fans, particularly Jets fans, ever been accused of being classy?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather Jets fans boo poor play than cheer an injury.  Now THAT is classless.

No one cheered until Clemens ran onto the field.  Contrary to myth.

In this case, Mehta is speaking about something he wasn't even around for.

Booing has nothing to do with class - it has to do with the displeasure of a poor performance. Throw, like, your 100th interception and the fan base may show their displeasure with a boo. Throw a rarely seen touchdown pass and the fans will likely cheer.

What's the difference? Clemens was on the field because..

The difference is huge.

While perhaps the most polite thing to do was sit in somber silence for the departed.  The majority of Jets fans were responding to seeing the QB they wanted for months, come onto the field.  How long were we supposed to hold vigil before being excited about Clemens?  Longer, maybe. But, that doesn't mean we were cheering for an injury.

Booing has nothing to do with class - it has to do with the displeasure of a poor performance. Throw, like, your 100th interception and the fan base may show their displeasure with a boo. Throw a rarely seen touchdown pass and the fans will likely cheer.

No no no, Mehta and bitonti would prefer it if you just expressed your displeasure with the Jets by writing scathing, yet tasteful, Yelp reviews.

Class is a luxury afforded to the haves. It's also an illusion, a front. The "classy" thing to do would have been to cheer Sanchez off the field. Honesty trumps class any day of the week. I'm in a field in which so many hacks and amateurs try their hand it gets to a point of over saturation. Yet they are treated with "class" by their friends, family and even strangers and are never given an inkling of how truly terrible they are at what they do. So many get undeserved praise and applause that they wind up living in a delusion, a damaging one as it doesn't allow them to try their hand at something that they might be good at. Instead they live a dream and years later wind up disillusioned.

Seriously though... What do I owe the Jets?  They do absolutely nothing for me that I don't pay significantly for, be that through tickets or through my cable bill.  Not to mention when I go to the game, parking and concessions.  Not to mention merchandise.

The difference is huge.

While perhaps the most polite thing to do was sit in somber silence for the departed.  The majority of Jets fans were responding to seeing the QB they wanted for months, come onto the field.  How long were we supposed to hold vigil before being excited about Clemens?  Longer, maybe. But, that doesn't mean we were cheering for an injury.

This, not to mention outside of the small subset of us who were adamantly against him for some time by that point, Chad wasn't yet particularly disliked amongst the majority of Jets fans.  Let's not forget, Chad was still getting touted for his prior season's mediocre performance that ended with him earning his first of the illustrious Chad Pennington of the Year Award.  He didn't start having more fans turn against him until he went on his streak of ending games with pick 6s later that season.  But it just was more fun to paint all Jets fans as evil villains by acting as though we were all thrilled to see Chadwick get hurt for the 35th time, as opposed to cheering the young QB who was at one point supposed to be this team's future.

The difference is huge.

I'd just like to know, how you could differentiate which direction the cheering was for, with one guy leaving the field and another one coming on to it, at the same time. Was it like, directed cheering? Did everyone look a certain way or , use a certain tone that usually gets associated with "hope" instead of "cynicism"? Dogs can pick this stuff up, I am surprised, but somewhat inspired, to learn that Jets fans are this good.

It was only a matter of time before you swooped it to defend Mehta.  There was really never any doubt.

when there's a thread and 20 people pile on one side, I feel compelled to take the other. except in the case of the J, E, T, S, chant re-do that was just an abortion all around. I just wanted to hear people say Booing is classy. 

when there's a thread and 20 people pile on one side, I feel compelled to take the other. except in the case of the J, E, T, S, chant re-do that was just an abortion all around. I just wanted to hear people say Booing is classy.

So you don't really have a position, you're just against those that do?

I'd just like to know, how you could differentiate which direction the cheering was for, with one guy leaving the field and another one coming on to it, at the same time. Was it like, directed cheering? Did everyone look a certain way or , use a certain tone that usually gets associated with "hope" instead of "cynicism"? Dogs can pick this stuff up, I am surprised, but somewhat inspired, to learn that Jets fans are this good.

It was rather apparent for anyone who doesn't want to try to turn anything possible into some sort of reason for mass hysteria, particularly since the vast majority of this fan base was still inexplicably sucking Chad off back in those days.  That is, unless you believe the entire stadium full of fans, despite their apparent unbelievable and uncontainable excitement to see Chad hurt, decided to all quietly wait while he was writhing in pain on the ground, because clearly that wasn't the enjoyable part, but rather they had all talked it out and planned in advance that they wanted to wait to enjoy seeing him get up and go hobbling off the field instead.  It was a mere coincidence that not a peep was made until Clemens actually ran out onto the field.

I would say the time gap helped.  Chad's injury and Clemens running onto the field were not simultaneous events.  The cheers happened at the latter.

Your sarcasm looks pretty stupid now, huh?

Exactly why I pointed out there was no doubt you'd defend Mehta.  Being purposefully obtuse is your thang!

I would say the time gap helped.  Chad's injury and Clemens running onto the field were not simultaneous events.  The cheers happened at the latter.

Your sarcasm looks pretty stupid now, huh?

Well it was what six years ago, I'm not feeling as stupid, I'm very happy that our fanbase has such clear memory of our fanbase actively cheering the starting QB no longer being in the game. Helps dispel some of those prejudices we get held to...especially since I was actually there and cannot remember nearly as well as you guys. You're a smart guy, right? How else does the logic work in that scenario, am I missing a connection? 

So no the tongue in cheek sarcasm doesn't seem too bad IMO. Lighten up Francis 

Well it was what six years ago, I'm not feeling as stupid, I'm very happy that our fanbase has such clear memory of our fanbase actively cheering the starting QB no longer being in the game. Helps dispel some of those prejudices we get held to...especially since I was actually there and cannot remember nearly as well as you guys. You're a smart guy, right? How else does the logic work in that scenario, am I missing a connection? 

So no the tongue in cheek sarcasm doesn't seem too bad IMO. Lighten up Francis 

I was there too, as was BG I think, and I remember it because I had this argument every day on these boards for about a month afterwards with people who just read the press and went with the "jets fans are terrible" angle.

The difference is huge.

Maybe where you were sitting, but where I was sitting that day I could clearly hear people saying stuff like "thank God, get off the field you piece of sh*t" and other "classy" things.  You may want to believe they were cheering for Clemens, but I guarantee you there were plenty of people cheering the fact that Pennington had gotten hurt.  I heard enough fans that day to make me sick.

Maybe where you were sitting, but where I was sitting that day I could clearly hear people saying stuff like "thank God, get off the field you piece of sh*t" and other "classy" things.  You may want to believe they were cheering for Clemens, but I guarantee you there were plenty of people cheering the fact that Pennington had gotten hurt.  I heard enough fans that day to make me sick.

I can't speak for what any individual fan was saying and I don't doubt that many were happy he was hurt.  However, the loud and collective ovation, the one that everyone uses as evidence of how terrible Jets fans are, came long after Pennington was hurt, and at the very moment Clemens stepped onto the field.  That is the important difference between, there are some assholes in a group of 80,000 people and 80,000 people are assholes.

I can't speak for what any individual fan was saying and I don't doubt that many were happy he was hurt.  However, the loud and collective ovation, the one that everyone uses as evidence of how terrible Jets fans are, came long after Pennington was hurt, and at the very moment Clemens stepped onto the field.  That is the important difference between, there are some assholes in a group of 80,000 people and 80,000 people are assholes.

So you can't speak for what an individual fan may be saying to contradict what you said, but you can speak for 80,000 people in the stadium when you think it supports you.  Right.  Sure. 

I heard disgusting things that day, plenty of people around me were screaming similar things to what I just wrote above.  Perhaps you were one of the people happy he was hurt and claiming everyone was cheering Clemens is your way of exonerating yourself of the "classy" behavior.

These Jets-on-Jets practices are difficult to cheer for.  When one player performs well, in this case Cromartie (who SHOULD be getting interceptions!! Especially against Mark Sanchez!!) it means another player is performing poorly.  That's not necessarily the case.  Cromartie made an excellent play. 

These Jets-on-Jets practices are difficult to cheer for.  When one player performs well, in this case Cromartie (who SHOULD be getting interceptions!! Especially against Mark Sanchez!!) it means another player is performing poorly.  That's not necessarily the case.  Cromartie made an excellent play. 

great point. good news vs bad news it's all jets news. Cro is a 2x Pro Bowler it's not surprising he made an INT.

So you can't speak for what an individual fan may be saying to contradict what you said, but you can speak for 80,000 people in the stadium when you think it supports you.  Right.  Sure. 

I heard disgusting things that day, plenty of people around me were screaming similar things to what I just wrote above.  Perhaps you were one of the people happy he was hurt and claiming everyone was cheering Clemens is your way of exonerating yourself of the "classy" behavior.

No.  I can't speak for what individuals were saying, because I couldn't hear it.  I can speak for the enormous, crowd-wide, ovation that occurred that day.  The one that the reporters talked about, as they were sitting in the press boxes, far from earshot of any individual negative comments.  That ovation did not occur at all while Chad Pennington was rolling around on the ground clutching his ankle.  Had that happened, I'd naturally have attached that ovation to the injury.  Instead, I surmised that the ovation that was happening at the moment that Clemens ran onto the field, was related to that event, instead of something that happened about a minute before.  Seems crazy, I know!

As for my need to defend myself.  That would assume that I cared whether KSJets thought I was classy.  Assuredly, I don't.  And, for what it's worth, I was thrilled Chad Pennington was gone.  I will be thrilled when Sanchez is gone too.

I hated that day and got the impression from watching it on TV that the fans were cheering the injury (IIRC, the TV game announcers even brought up that fact).  I liked Pennington and was sad to see him go down like that.  He was a classy mofo, and deserved the same from a fan base that watched him go through surgery after surgery to play his heart out for this team. 

[quick side note:  Your avatar is slightly ironic for this particular topic ;) ]

In this case, Cromartie made a good play on a poorly thrown ball.  The interception really isn't any worse than the wide open overthrow that would have been a touch down.  It's bad news because it's another bad throw.  Good throws can be broken up or even intercepted from time to time, with better defense... The reports from the scrimmage did not make this out to be the case.

No.  I can't speak for what individuals were saying, because I couldn't hear it.  I can speak for the enormous, crowd-wide, ovation that occurred that day.  The one that the reporters talked about, as they were sitting in the press boxes, far from earshot of any individual negative comments.  That ovation did not occur at all while Chad Pennington was rolling around on the ground clutching his ankle.  Had that happened, I'd naturally have attached that ovation to the injury.  Instead, I surmised that the ovation that was happening at the moment that Clemens ran onto the field, was related to that event, instead of something that happened about a minute before.  Seems crazy, I know!

As for my need to defend myself.  That would assume that I cared whether KSJets thought I was classy.  Assuredly, I don't.  And, for what it's worth, I was thrilled Chad Pennington was gone.  I will be thrilled when Sanchez is gone too.

If I remember correctly, the fans cheered once Kellen was shown on the jumbo-screen warming up.  It wasn't an cheer of encouragement when an injured player walks/carts off the field.  It was an overly extended, "He's going to save the franchise!!" type cheer...while Pennington was still writhing in pain.  

I could be wrong.  

In this case, Cromartie made a good play on a poorly thrown ball.  The interception really isn't any worse than the wide open overthrow that would have been a touch down.  It's bad news because it's another bad throw.  Good throws can be broken up or even intercepted from time to time, with better defense... The reports from the scrimmage did not make this out to be the case.

From what I read, Mark overthrew a ball into double coverage.  From the replay they show (constantly) on NFLN, Mark throws a tight spiral that Cromartie cuts on, mid-air, and catches beautifully.  The shot they show is not a gameday angle--it's a zoom on Mark, follow the ball, watch it get intercepted.  But from the flight of the ball it looks like Mark tried playing gunslinger on that play and got taken to the cleaners.  I don't mind a little gamble from my QBs, especially in practice testing out your new weaponz. 

(btw, Clyde Gates would have probably caught that ball)

These Jets-on-Jets practices are difficult to cheer for. When one player performs well, in this case Cromartie (who SHOULD be getting interceptions!! Especially against Mark Sanchez!!) it means another player is performing poorly. That's not necessarily the case. Cromartie made an excellent play.

The ball was thrown right to him

From what I read, Mark overthrew a ball into double coverage.  From the replay they show (constantly) on NFLN, Mark throws a tight spiral that Cromartie cuts on, mid-air, and catches beautifully.  The shot they show is not a gameday angle--it's a zoom on Mark, follow the ball, watch it get intercepted.  But from the flight of the ball it looks like Mark tried playing gunslinger on that play and got taken to the cleaners.  I don't mind a little gamble from my QBs, especially in practice testing out your new weaponz. 

(btw, Clyde Gates would have probably caught that ball)

"A little gamble" only works when you make enough big plays to overcome the mistakes.

"A little gamble" isn't the league leader in turnovers the past two years, that's just bad quarterbacking.

And, if this were something we didn't see all the time in games, I could just as easily call it "testing out your new weaponz".  Problem is, the INT overthrow is classic Sanchez.

Archived