Mark Sanchez to start vs. Detroit

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone surprised by this?  Will anyone be surprised when Sanchez is named the starter to open the season, regardless of how they play in TC and preseason?  We all know that Rex has a Woody for Sanchez.  At this point I'm glad he does, as it will help keep Geno healthy until the OL gels

Is anyone surprised by this?  Will anyone be surprised when Sanchez is named the starter to open the season, regardless of how they play in TC and preseason?  We all know that Rex has a Woody for Sanchez.  At this point I'm glad he does, as it will help keep Geno healthy until the OL gels

Few things: 

1.  This decision doesn't say anything about who starts week 1 of the regular season.

2.  Rex can't afford to stubbornly stick by Sanchez.  Not only did Idzik not draft Sanchez (and with that, Idzik's comment that the QB decision will be a "collaborative effort" and not just Rex's call; why wouldn't Idzik throw his support at the guy he drafted, rather than the guy whose spot on the depth chart he wanted to replace with David Garrard?), Rex's job is on the line.  He needs to play the QB that gets him the most wins, period.  That's probably not Sanchez even with the relatively limited information at hand on Geno.

3.  The OL point is a decent one and the only reason I'd have any pause with starting Geno week 1.  The primary way rookie QB's get ruined is by getting hit too much early on in their careers.  See:  Carr, David.  I think the OL will be fine but until we know for sure that will be the case we need to tread cautiously.

Few things: 

1.  This decision doesn't say anything about who starts week 1 of the regular season.

2.  Rex can't afford to stubbornly stick by Sanchez.  Not only did Idzik not draft Sanchez (and with that, Idzik's comment that the QB decision will be a "collaborative effort" and not just Rex's call; why wouldn't Idzik throw his support at the guy he drafted, rather than the guy whose spot on the depth chart he wanted to replace with David Garrard?), Rex's job is on the line.  He needs to play the QB that gets him the most wins, period.  That's probably not Sanchez even with the relatively limited information at hand on Geno.

3.  The OL point is a decent one and the only reason I'd have any pause with starting Geno week 1.  The primary way rookie QB's get ruined is by getting hit too much early on in their careers.  See:  Carr, David.  I think the OL will be fine but until we know for sure that will be the case we need to tread cautiously.

I agree that it doesn't say anything about week 1, but we know that Rex has loved Sanchez all along.  I just don't see him changing that now.

I also agree with you on point #2, but that doesn't mean that Rex does.  He is loyal to a fault.  I think he feels more comfortable with Sanchez, and then there's the OL thing, Geno getting better with reads and protections and adjusting to life in the NFL period.  If he's aware or concerned at all about any of the latter things I mentioned, I think Rex will feel more comfortable and confident starting Sanchez and think that gives him the best chance to win.  I think by game 6 or so, the light will go on for Rex and he'll realize that he HAS to make the change from Sanchez to Geno.

Point #3 is key imo.  Not only from the OL's perspective but from Geno's in terms of understanding and making the correct protection assignments, reading the D, not holding the ball too long, etc.  I think it would be very risky to send him out there vs the tough early schedule.  Let Sanchez get the snot beat out of him if it's gonna happen to a Jets QB.  If the OL gels early, and Geno figures out the protections, then great, they can start him, but if not, keep him safe until things get more solid and consistent for both the OL and Geno.

I honestly think the interior of our O-line is beefy enough to neutralize Suh and Fairley.  Those two are power rushers, not speed rushers, and hopefully our new offense is the perfect anecdote to either.  I'm excited to see the moving pockets, roll outs, naked bootlegs, and three-step drop and pass. 

Mark and Geno should both excel this Friday, and both come out of this game untouched. 

Rex: Sanchez to start first preseason game in Detroit

5 m ago By Kimberley A. Martin

image.JPG

Photo credit: Hans Pennink | Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez during training camp. (Aug. 5, 2013)

CORTLAND – Mark Sanchez gets the nod over Geno Smith. At least for the first preseason game.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Tuesday afternoon that Sanchez – the fifth-year incumbent -- will start Friday’s game in Detroit over the rookie.

“It's been an even competition,” Ryan told reporters. “It seemed like the natural thing to do.”

Throughout training camp, both quarterbacks have been splitting first-team reps every two days. Based on that schedule, it appeared Smith could be in line for the preseason start after Sanchez worked with the first-team offense on Monday and Tuesday. Ryan even hinted yesterday that the coaching staff “may change that up. (Tuesday) we may go with Geno or whatever.”

Ryan did make it clear that both quarterbacks will get playing time with the starters on Friday – and as a result, he’ll likely have to play his first-team offense longer than he normally would for the first preseason game of the year.

The announcement comes just a day after Ryan said Jets fans are free to boo Sanchez – and the rest of his players – if they choose.

“Fans have the right to do anything they want,'' the coach said Monday, when asked for his thoughts on the booing of Sanchez during the Green and White scrimmage on Saturday.

He also cautioned Jets fans to “move forward” from Sanchez’s disappointing performance over the past two seasons (52 total turnovers in 2011 and 2012. But, he added: “I would never say 'you've got to do something' to our fan base. No way. Because they're the paying customer. That's why we're all here. And they have a right to boo any time they want.”

Sanchez will start Jets preseason opener

080113JetsTrainingCamp55ACNY132152--415x

Anthony J Causi

Mark Sanchez.

CORTLAND – Mark Sanchez gets the first shot.

Jets coach Rex Ryan announced Tuesday afternoon that Sanchez would be the starting quarterback Friday night when the Jets open the preseason in Detroit against the Lions.

“It seemed like the natural thing to do,” Ryan said, pointing out that Sanchez is the incumbent.

Ryan did say rookie Geno Smith will also see time with the first-team offense. Ryan said they have not decided how many snaps each quarterback will take. It will be tricky for both quarterbacks to face the Lions’ first-team defense since traditionally teams play their starters for just about a series in the first game.

“We’ll put our ones out,” Ryan said. “The preseason doesn’t end after this first preseason game. We’ll take it through as much as possible. We said it was going to be an equal competition and there is going to be a competition and that’s exactly what it is.”

The competition has been pretty even through training camp. Now, Ryan will get to see the quarterbacks facing a live defense that can hit them.

“I think the big thing is going to be taking that rush,” Ryan said. “We know Detroit can really rush the passer.”

Read more: Sanchez will start Jets preseason opener http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/sanchez_will_start_jets_first_preseason_bnrrO4nl1tNr1rAg9Y8pOO#ixzz2bDExhJe1

all the Geno lovers are neglecting the fact that he has been worse than Mark overall for the last few practices. And the scrimmage.

They have to overlook that because it doesn't support their position. 

"It's only one practice.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then so it doesn't count."

"It's only two practices.  I've seen Sanchez suck for four years so it doesn't count."

"Sanchez's TD was nearly picked off so it doesn't really count."

"Geno's Int was a hail mary so it doesn't count."

The list goes on.  There is no rational thought going on in some people's heads about this issue.  The rest of us will sit back, munch popcorn and root for whoever who wins this thing. 

"It's only one practice.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then so it doesn't count."

"It's only two practices.  I've seen Sanchez suck for four years so it doesn't count."

The list goes on.  There is no rational thought going on in some people's heads about this issue.  The rest of us will sit back, munch popcorn and root for whoever who wins this thing. 

Sounds great in theory, but bit is amongst the very last people on this entire board who has any room to judge anyone else when it comes to such things.  There is no one more notorious for blatantly distorting the facts and ignoring any points that don't support his position, to the point of even regularly deleting things out of posts he quotes to which he has no counter.

The reality is he's against Geno because Geno was an Idzik pick and he dislikes Idzik because Idzik traded away Revis.  Besides, considering most of the reports about Sanchez from the scrimmage revolved around his INT and him falling over on his ass, I'm not even sure where he's exactly deriving this theory that Sanchez was the "winner" of the scrimmage.  If Rex feels that way than so be it, it is what it is, but it still doesn't give any reason for people to feel differently about Sanchez's prior 4 years of awfulness.

Sounds great in theory, but bit is amongst the very last people on this entire board who has any room to judge anyone else when it comes to such things.  There is no one more notorious for blatantly distorting the facts and ignoring any points that don't support his position, to the point of even regularly deleting things out of posts he quotes to which he has no counter.

The reality is he's against Geno because Geno was an Idzik pick and he dislikes Idzik because Idzik traded away Revis.  Besides, considering most of the reports about Sanchez from the scrimmage revolved around his INT and him falling over on his ass, I'm not even sure where he's exactly deriving this theory that Sanchez was the "winner" of the scrimmage.  If Rex feels that way than so be it, it is what it is, but it still doesn't give any reason for people to feel differently about Sanchez's prior 4 years of awfulness.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

all the Geno lovers are neglecting the fact that he has been worse than Mark overall for the last few practices. And the scrimmage.

You mean yesterdays one practice. Geno has been winning the competition, and based off reports of the scrimmage, did better than Sanchize. Seriously, what the hell kind of reports have you been reading to get to this conclusion.

Where did you get this from? 

You mean yesterdays one practice. Geno has been winning the competition, and based off reports of the scrimmage, did better than Sanchize. Seriously, what the hell kind of reports have you been reading to get to this conclusion.

Mark scored points during the scrimmage, Geno didn't. and had the hitting been live Geno would have 5+ sacks, supposedly.

He also threw a pick... And fell on his ass.

1 TD, 1 INT is better than 0 TD 0 INT especially if the defense is good.  If you are Rex you'd rather have the TD and hope the D holds strong after the turnover than have the offense put up no points. 

and what about the last couple days of practice? Every tweeter and beater to a man has said Sanchez has big mo on his side. I didn't just make it up. 

Mark scored points during the scrimmage, Geno didn't. and had the hitting been live Geno would have 5+ sacks, supposedly.

I was front and center watching the scrimmage and no, Sanchez wasn't better than Geno.

An end of practice bomb, that hell, could have been scripted to end practice on a high note(was the last play of the day)..certainly doesn't indicate Mark outplayed him.

Archived