Mark Sanchez to start vs. Detroit

CrazyCarl40

Rex Ryan announced today that Mark Sanchez will start at QB vs the Detroit Lions in their first preseason game (Friday 8/9).  Which means that you can expect Geno Smith to start the 2nd game at home on Saturday 8/17 vs the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Sound off in our

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean yesterdays one practice. Geno has been winning the competition, and based off reports of the scrimmage, did better than Sanchize. Seriously, what the hell kind of reports have you been reading to get to this conclusion.

Really?

Mornhinweg seems to have missed that

August 6, 2013 3:43 PM

Marty Mornhinweg on Mark Sanchez starting in Detroit: 'He's earned it'

BY Seth Walder

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Tuesday that it would be typical for the incumbent QB, in this case Mark Sanchez, to start the first preseason game. But on the fifth-year veteran, Mornhinweg also added, “He’s earned it.”

“He’s had an outstanding training camp,” the coordinator said. “Mark...this is his game. He’ll start and go with the ones. And then certainly we’d like to get Geno in just a little bit with the ones, and then he’ll take the twos.”

Mornhinweg was very complimentary of Sanchez, saying that the QB had a period of about a day and a half when his performance “dipped” but noted that he was proud of the way Sanchez responded late in the Green & White by throwing a long touchdown to Stephen Hill after a generally rough day.

On Smith, Mornhinweg said the rookie began camp very well, but has cooled down somewhat since then.

“(He) had a terrific start of the camp. He did some very good things in the Green & White as well. And he’s dipped just a little bit, so he’s got to recover,” Mornhinweg said. “We’ll see how he rebounds. Today was a little bit better than yesterday.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

I don't get why anyone wouldn't want Geno Smith to be the QB.  (And at that point, if he fails then we draft another one).

Did someone write too many draft previews predicting the kid would never be good because of a few bad games when he was 22 years old in college, and now he can't reverse it?

It doesnt matter who starts the first pre season game. Its the pre season. I just want Geno Smith to seperate himself from Mark so we know if can start him or we sit him. Maybe he is the guy or maybe he is not. either way we got him for a steal in the 2nd round. next draft is filled with plenty of talent if we are moving on.

If we do stick with Geno Smith I hope we learned from our past mistakes and actually surround Geno Smith with some weapons, instead of playing musical chairs with recievers and failing to surround a QB with talent.

They have to overlook that because it doesn't support their position. 

"It's only one practice.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then so it doesn't count."

"It's only two practices.  I've seen Sanchez suck for four years so it doesn't count."

"Sanchez's TD was nearly picked off so it doesn't really count."

"Geno's Int was a hail mary so it doesn't count."

The list goes on.  There is no rational thought going on in some people's heads about this issue.  The rest of us will sit back, munch popcorn and root for whoever who wins this thing. 

Who's actually making these points you're debunking?

Actual names pls.

You clearly want him to suck.  It is obvious.  

What anyone here wants is not relevant. The whole franchise, coaches and fans want Geno Smith to be amazing.

Start Geno and he will get crushed week 2. Start him after the bye or next season he could be good. He needs practice. and he needs to not be fed to the wolves. 3 years on the bench maybe he's aaron rodgers. It's a shame no one gets that kind of time anymore but it's usually how QBs are developed. if you aren't running spread option

What annoys me about the Geno vs Mark discussion is how the hope that he's the instant messiah has over-ruled what is actually happening in practice. THat's why I'm trolling today. Mark basically won this thing and you all don't want to believe the news reports. 

1 TD, 1 INT is better than 0 TD 0 INT especially if the defense is good.  If you are Rex you'd rather have the TD and hope the D holds strong after the turnover than have the offense put up no points. 

and what about the last couple days of practice? Every tweeter and beater to a man has said Sanchez has big mo on his side. I didn't just make it up. 

Did you ever take into consideration that Sanchez threw that TD to a first team WR, going against the second team defense? 

What anyone here wants is not relevant. The whole franchise, coaches and fans want Geno Smith to be amazing.

Start Geno and he will get crushed week 2. Start him after the bye or next season he could be good. He needs practice. and he needs to not be fed to the wolves. 3 years on the bench maybe he's aaron rodgers. It's a shame no one gets that kind of time anymore but it's usually how QBs are developed. if you aren't running spread option

What annoys me about the Geno vs Mark discussion is how the hope that he's the instant messiah has over-ruled what is actually happening in practice. THat's why I'm trolling today. Mark basically won this thing and you all don't want to believe the news reports. 

If Gerard was on the roster, I would be all for waiting on Geno until everyone knew he was ready. But we have Sanchez, and yeah pretty much anyone is better.

Who's actually making these points you're debunking?

Actual names pls.

So I'm going to have to retract some of my tone.  I was going back and forth between this and 'the other' board today and all of those comments were said (some paraphrased) over there.  This place is a lot more rational for the most part.   So to that extent, mea culpa.

But in fairness, RSJ did leave this gem later in this same thread:

"Did you ever take into consideration that Sanchez threw that TD to a first team WR, going against the second team defense? "

Unless we're figuring out whether every pass both QBs threw was against which defense, this is sort of the thing I was referring to.  If Geno had thrown that same TD pass against the 2nd team defense, would the same poster have made the same comment? 

So I'm going to have to retract some of my tone.  I was going back and forth between this and 'the other' board today and all of those comments were said (some paraphrased) over there.  This place is a lot more rational for the most part.   So to that extent, mea culpa.

"Did you ever take into consideration that Sanchez threw that TD to a first team WR, going against the second team defense? "

Unless we're figuring out whether every pass both QBs threw was against which defense, this is sort of the thing I was referring to.  If Geno had thrown that same TD pass against the 2nd team defense, would the same poster have made the same comment? 

Before that ONE and only nice play, Sanchez played like he was facing the 85 Bears. Sanchez only had one series against the first team defense and was light years behind Geno (3 series vs the first team defense). in stats before that long TD to the best WR on the team vs a second team scrub who will probably be bagging groceries in a few weeks. The very fact that it is even arguable whether Geno starts or not at this point is a testament to just how bad Sanchez is. Sanchez spent his whole college career in this very same offense, and has 4 years of NFL experience. If Geno is just as good as him at 22 with 4 weeks experience in this offense, its pretty safe to say that he will be better by the beginning of the year.

Before that ONE and only nice play, Sanchez played like he was facing the 85 Bears. Sanchez only had one series against the first team defense and was light years behind Geno (3 series vs the first team defense). in stats before that long TD to the best WR on the team vs a second team scrub who will probably be bagging groceries in a few weeks. The very fact that it is even arguable whether Geno starts or not at this point is a testament to just how bad Sanchez is. Sanchez spent his whole college career in this very same offense, and has 4 years of NFL experience. If Geno is just as good as him at 22 with 4 weeks experience in this offense, its pretty safe to say that he will be better by the beginning of the year.

Everyone who watched the scrimmage said Sanchez looked terrible.  I don't get what the debate is.

Really?

Mornhinweg seems to have missed that

August 6, 2013 3:43 PM

Marty Mornhinweg on Mark Sanchez starting in Detroit: 'He's earned it'

BY Seth Walder

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Tuesday that it would be typical for the incumbent QB, in this case Mark Sanchez, to start the first preseason game. But on the fifth-year veteran, Mornhinweg also added, “He’s earned it.”

“He’s had an outstanding training camp,” the coordinator said. “Mark...this is his game. He’ll start and go with the ones. And then certainly we’d like to get Geno in just a little bit with the ones, and then he’ll take the twos.”

Mornhinweg was very complimentary of Sanchez, saying that the QB had a period of about a day and a half when his performance “dipped” but noted that he was proud of the way Sanchez responded late in the Green & White by throwing a long touchdown to Stephen Hill after a generally rough day.

On Smith, Mornhinweg said the rookie began camp very well, but has cooled down somewhat since then.

“(He) had a terrific start of the camp. He did some very good things in the Green & White as well. And he’s dipped just a little bit, so he’s got to recover,” Mornhinweg said. “We’ll see how he rebounds. Today was a little bit better than yesterday.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Or maybe he's starting Sanchez because the qb competition has been about even and Sanchize has more game time experience. Also, he probably wants to give Geno more time to prepare and get ready for facing nfl defenses. Not to mention the fact that if Geno was given the heads up to start, it would most likely be seen as the competition being over.

Before the Green and White scrimmage most pundits agreed that if Mark and Geno were even, the nod would go to the rookie because it would imply that his ceiling is higher and with less experience.  Well, the fallout by Tuesday was that both QBs were (allegedly) head to head. So what gives?

If the coaches want to give Mark a fair shake, he HAS to be the starter in Detroit. It's his last opportunity to get time with the 1's in a vacuum away from the home field bias he's sure to encounter.  Sanchez got booed at his scrimmage by 6,000 peeps...and after Detroit, It's a home game vs. the Jags. 

Then it's an "away" game against the Giants, then it's a home game against Philly...followed by another home game in week-1 against the Bucs.  That would be four straight Jets games played at MetLife Stadium (possibly) full of 82,000 booing fans. 

This is Mark's last chance to win the fans over by playing against 1's with any meaningful snaps. 

So I'm going to have to retract some of my tone. I was going back and forth between this and 'the other' board today and all of those comments were said (some paraphrased) over there. This place is a lot more rational for the most part. So to that extent, mea culpa.

"Did you ever take into consideration that Sanchez threw that TD to a first team WR, going against the second team defense? "

Unless we're figuring out whether every pass both QBs threw was against which defense, this is sort of the thing I was referring to. If Geno had thrown that same TD pass against the 2nd team defense, would the same poster have made the same comment?

On the Hill TD, it was the last play of the scrimmage, with Hill running alone against a guy who's fighting to be the 6th corner, with no safety help over the top. It was not dissimilar to when teams allow the Make-a-Wish kid to take a handoff and score a TD in practice.

On the Hill TD, it was the last play of the scrimmage, with Hill running alone against a guy who's fighting to be the 6th corner, with no safety help over the top. It was not dissimilar to when teams allow the Make-a-Wish kid to take a handoff and score a TD in practice.

And yet till date no make a wish kid has ever ran into a lineman's ass. 

very funny but if Geno cant beat him out what does that make him one of Jerry's Kids?

Archived