Mark Sanchez to start vs. Detroit

CrazyCarl40

But that's the point..  just because you and the ilk say there's a race, doesn't mean there's a race.  I've read the articles and listened to the interviews and what I'm seeing is telling me that Mark should wrap this up in a couple weeks. 

If he reverts back to last years form you simply yank him outta there.

Why do so many think it's impossible for Mark to play better?  We've all seen him have great games.

How many great games has had had in 4 seasons Pac?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you get that it will be a risky thing? Are you saying that because Sanchez started his rookie year, he sucks? Where is this evidence? 

C'mon guy.  The issues that Geno has had to adjust and adapt to coming into the NFL are well documented.  The things he's had to work on has been well documented.  At the time of the draft, most pundits and "experts" said that Geno would probably need to sit for a year and develop.  They could be wrong, but until proven wrong through his play in practice, they have to be assumed to be right.  Geno hasn't been blowing Mark away in practice and isn't the clear cut winner in the competition.  That should tell you something, that if anything, he's only marginally better than Sanchez is even as bad as Sanchez is.  He still has aspects to his game that he needs to work on.  In the scrimmage for example, he would have taken 5 sacks due to his not being ready to read blitzes and understanding protections well enough.  Do you want to see him get killed?

No, it's not just Sanchez.  Over the history of the NFL, it has taken time for MOST rookies to adjust to the speed of the NFL, work on whatever technique and fundamentals issues they need to work on, learn the systems they're playing in, so they're not having to think too much and can just go out, loose, relaxed and let their talent take over.  Some rookies are able to do that immediately, but not many.  By far they are in the minority.

So counting playoff games it took him about 70 games to have 7 or 8 great games.  So once in ten games he was great?  So 90% of the time he is mediocre or dead awful? 

But the majority of those great games were when it counted the most. 

I would say he's had a handful of great games, a bunch of serviceable/mediocre games, some bad ones, and a few god awful ones.  I'm anxious to see what he does with a real OC who has actually had sustained success grooming QB's.

I'd be fine if they went with Geno but only if he won the job...  so far that doesn't seem to be the case.  Much to the dismay of many of you dopes.

C'mon guy.  The issues that Geno has had to adjust and adapt to coming into the NFL are well documented.  The things he's had to work on has been well documented.  At the time of the draft, most pundits and "experts" said that Geno would probably need to sit for a year and develop.  They could be wrong, but until proven wrong through his play in practice, they have to be assumed to be right.  Geno hasn't been blowing Mark away in practice and isn't the clear cut winner in the competition.  That should tell you something, that if anything, he's only marginally better than Sanchez is even as bad as Sanchez is.  He still has aspects to his game that he needs to work on.  In the scrimmage for example, he would have taken 5 sacks due to his not being ready to read blitzes and understanding protections well enough.  Do you want to see him get killed?

No, it's not just Sanchez.  Over the history of the NFL, it has taken time for MOST rookies to adjust to the speed of the NFL, work on whatever technique and fundamentals issues they need to work on, learn the systems they're playing in, so they're not having to think too much and can just go out, loose, relaxed and let their talent take over.  Some rookies are able to do that immediately, but not many.  By far they are in the minority.

I will leave it up to the coaches. Russell Wilson took a lot of sacks last year too in training camp. Geno's athleticism helps in my opinion that he will be ok starting right away. Some QB's overcome taking a beating, and go on to be good NFL QB's. If you can't take a beating you wont last long either way. I'm not sure starting anyone early is a reason why they would have bad careers. You can either play the position or you can't. With the rules the way they are now, and with college offenses and defenses being much more similar to the NFL then ever, it has never been easier to come in and start in the NFL. The speed of the game is really the biggest adjustment.

Russell Wilson took a lot of sacks last year too in training camp. 

Russell ran a pro style offense at Wisconsin, Geno ran a gimmick air raid offense at WVU that didn't even have him taking snaps from under center. also Russell was part of a historically great QB class, Geno was part of a wierd (at best) QB class. 

the good news is that Russell didn't really win the job until late in the preseason. But I'm struggling to find similarities between these guys. 

But that's the point..  just because you and the ilk say there's a race, doesn't mean there's a race.  I've read the articles and listened to the interviews and what I'm seeing is telling me that Mark should wrap this up in a couple weeks. 

Why do so many think it's impossible for Mark to play better?  We've all seen him have great games.

Mark could have his best year yet and still be a bad QB.  That's the problem.

I would say he's had a handful of great games, a bunch of serviceable/mediocre games, some bad ones, and a few god awful ones.  I'm anxious to see what he does with a real OC who has actually had sustained success grooming QB's.

I'd be fine if they went with Geno but only if he won the job...  so far that doesn't seem to be the case.  Much to the dismay of many of you dopes.

You're using the word great loosely. His 'great' games usually occur against terrible teams or when the offensive game-plan for that week asks him to throw it <20x p/game.

Basically, his 'greatness' is an inverse relationship to how much the OC asks him to do in any given week. The more they ask him to do, the worse he'll look. The less they ask of him, the better he'll do.

But that's the point.. just because you and the ilk say there's a race, doesn't mean there's a race. I've read the articles and listened to the interviews and what I'm seeing is telling me that Mark should wrap this up in a couple weeks.

Why do so many think it's impossible for Mark to play better? We've all seen him have great games.

Still waitin' on those links, muchacho.

Russell ran a pro style offense at Wisconsin, Geno ran a gimmick air raid offense at WVU that didn't even have him taking snaps from under center. also Russell was part of a historically great QB class, Geno was part of a wierd (at best) QB class. 

the good news is that Russell didn't really win the job until late in the preseason. But I'm struggling to find similarities between these guys. 

So being part of a good draft class is what dropped Wilson to the third? I thought it was his height. Geno ran a spread in College, no different that the spread that New England runs, the same offense that Mike Leach ran at Texas Tech and everyone runs these days. There are small differences in them - but they all have the same philosophy. It should in theory have prepared Geno for the NFL passing game better then Wilson. Wilson relied heavily on his running game as great OL in college. MM runs a lot of shotgun himself btw,

You're using the word great loosely. His 'great' games usually occur against terrible teams or when the offensive game-plan for that week asks him to throw it <20x p/game.

Basically, his 'greatness' is an inverse relationship to how much the OC asks him to do in any given week. The more they ask him to do, the worse he'll look. The less they ask of him, the better he'll do.

I don't think a balanced game plan and strong running game being keys to a successful offense is any great revelation.

There are 2 - 3 QB's in the NFL who can carry the O by themselves.  I agree..  Mark is not one of them.

Still waitin' on those links, muchacho.

Start with page 2 or so of this thread..  someone posted an article where MM says Mark is having a great camp and talked about a dip in Genos play.

It's not like I'm even knocking Geno..  I want him to be good.  It's just that right now, he's not.  Nor should he be expected to be. 

Start with page 2 or so of this thread..  someone posted an article where MM says Mark is having a great camp and talked about a dip in Genos play.

It's not like I'm even knocking Geno..  I want him to be good.  It's just that right now, he's not.  Nor should he be expected to be. 

The latter sums up Sanchez's 4 years.

He cost us a couple AFC championship games.  He has zero ability to do anything other than make a great team mediocre.

I notice you said your anxious and not excited.  I expect him to be off target and to turn the ball over. So guess I'm anxious too.

If Tanny did not give Mark one of the worst extensions in the history of the league there would be no competition because Sanchez would be backing up a guy on another team right now.  Pretty sure he would be happy to do it.

Nobody expected Geno to be a day 1 starter.  This is the reason we brought Garrard in, pretty sure that means nobody expected Sanchez to be the day 1 starter as well for the same reason.,

Dismay about Geno not beating out Sanchez? I'm just plain old depressed that a kid outta college who never took a snap under center is even given our 4 year starter a run for the money.  On any team with a real QB it would be assumed Geno would compete sit and learn. Unfortunately nobody wants Geno learning how to run into asses and then pout about it. 

you guys are hysterical.

Here we go.

All the reports I read have Mark winning this competition outright.

On Honcho.com.

You're deluding yourselves into believing Geno is winning just because you want him to.

You are an avowed expert in this area.

Get a grip.

Honcho.com

Not sure about yall but I want the best QB on the roster to play QB when the bullets start flying.

Since when?

If Tanny did not give Mark one of the worst extensions in the history of the league there would be no competition because Sanchez would be backing up a guy on another team right now.  Pretty sure he would be happy to do it.

Nobody expected Geno to be a day 1 starter.  This is the reason we brought Garrard in, pretty sure that means nobody expected Sanchez to be the day 1 starter as well for the same reason.,

Dismay about Geno not beating out Sanchez? I'm just plain old depressed that a kid outta college who never took a snap under center is even given our 4 year starter a run for the money.  On any team with a real QB it would be assumed Geno would compete sit and learn. Unfortunately nobody wants Geno learning how to run into asses and then pout about it.

Hard to dispute anything here, and I'm not even gonna try.

The extension is the only reason Sanchez is with the team right now. Really, simple as that. Last year certainly should've been his last chance, but because of that extension he's been given another last chance. This is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. Sanchez' last last chance, he had Tony Sporano as his OC, and lost Holmes and Keller - his two favorite targets. For the best QB, that's some crappy circumstances to have to endure.

So what if Sanchez is playing a little better under Mornhinweg? That's really not a bad thing! Yes, I'm sick of Sanchez, too, but Geno should earn the job. If Sanchez is playing better, that's good for the Jets, and good for Geno's development, too. A second round pick should be fighting for a job. And if Sanchez starts the season behind an OL still getting its sh*t together, and an offense that hasn't completely gotten up to speed in the new system, is that necessarily bad? I really don't think so.

My biggest concern with Geno is his mental resiliency. Throwing him out there early has the potential to be debilitating. Waiting until the rest of the offense gets it together could easily be the smart move.

That said, if Geno's kicking Sanchez' ass, then start him. We'll start to get a real feel for where Geno is Friday night. It's one thing to perform well in practice when no one's allowed to hit you. It's another thing entirely when Ndamukong Suh is looking to go all unsportsmanlike conduct on you.

I notice you said your anxious and not excited.

Check out the big brain on Crusher!

Anxious:

1. full of mental distress or uneasiness because of fear of danger or misfortune; greatly worried; solicitous: Her parents were anxious about her poor health.

2. earnestly desirous; eager (usually followed by an infinitive or for ): anxious to please; anxious for our happiness.

3. attended with or showing solicitude or uneasiness: anxious forebodings.

Excited:

1. stirred emotionally; agitated: An excited crowd awaited the arrival of the famed rock group.

2. stimulated to activity; brisk: an excited buying and selling of stocks.

Check out the big brain on Crusher!

Anxious:

1. full of mental distress or uneasiness because of fear of danger or misfortune; greatly worried; solicitous: Her parents were anxious about her poor health.

2. earnestly desirous; eager (usually followed by an infinitive or for ): anxious to please; anxious for our happiness.

3. attended with or showing solicitude or uneasiness: anxious forebodings.

Excited:

1. stirred emotionally; agitated: An excited crowd awaited the arrival of the famed rock group.

2. stimulated to activity; brisk: an excited buying and selling of stocks.

I copied off slats.

it was the obvious decision.  the fumble machine did nothing in camp to earn the start away from the interception machine.  so interception machine gets this start and fumble machine gets the next one

the only one that matters is the 3rd one

but that doesn't really matter because they are both turnover machines with no weapons

Ypou are speaking to someone who still believes Pennington is a great QB. Bad jet QB's are his fetish, the deviant sob

Archived