Sanchez is going to be the starter

Maxman

Max Is right Sanchez will start the season- we know what we will get from him- some horrendous throws like his INT last night and a occasional nice pass - geno has the arm to be an NFL QB- we need to find out if he has the mental capability to make the right decisions

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Mark throws nice passes when the defenders fall down.  

I was wondering about that too.  Two of the big plays were when defenders fell down.  But, more so, with all the falling, and the injuries, I wondered about Ford Field... Is it crappy turf or something?

Geno is not ready yet and besides Mark's continuing problems with screen passes, I felt like he played well. The weird thing is that Geno seemed to have the most trouble with the read option plays. I'm not sure what made it a priority to install that stuff. He also locked in on one WR. Getting the ball deep is going to be a problem if he can't look off the safety, even with a strong arm. The good news is that Geno has come far in this offense in a short period of time. Perhaps he could be ready at some point this season - but just not right now.

I really don't get the whole read-option thing.  Just because Geno is black doesn't mean he should be an option QB.  Just let him throw.  He threw nicely with what limited plays he was given.

I really don't get the whole read-option thing.  Just because Geno is black doesn't mean he should be an option QB.  Just let him throw.  He threw nicely with what limited plays he was given.

I don't get it either. It would make much more sense to concentrate more on advancing him in the offense, then working on that stuff.

I was wondering about that too.  Two of the big plays were when defenders fell down.  But, more so, with all the falling, and the injuries, I wondered about Ford Field... Is it crappy turf or something?

I wondered that same thing when Geno went to cut up field and his ankle rolled.  Pretty sure they talked about the new surface at some point.

So you want to start a guy who had 3 or 4 series and should have had at least 2 INTs?  Geno was accurate.  I don't know if his primaries were open on his plays, but his only incompletion was a blocked pass.  Sorry, this was Geno's first taste of pro action.  I think he stood up all right.  Captain Stupid  did had his usual panic attack. Then afterwards he says "plays like this happen." Very flip.  Yes, they happen----to you, Mark.  Not to decent, and certainly not to top flight, QBs.  Then Rex says he was too preoccupied with the D  and did not see the whole play.  Head coach?  Ha.  Or was he just dodging a difficult question, Max? We can say Geno is not ready. He just dipped his toe in the water.  But why is Mark still not ready?

I am telling you what is going to happen.  I never said what I wanted to happen.

I don't get it either. It would make much more sense to concentrate more on advancing him in the offense, then working on that stuff.

It is because rex is a stupid ass. The only IQ he possesses involves defensive football.  He does not watch the QBs but he wants to pick the starter.  He has watched  Sancho make these incredibly stupid throws over and over again and says maybe he should change his arm angle.  No Rex----he should not make the throws.  There is a whole football field to throw the ball away in.

I am telling you what is going to happen.  I never said what I wanted to happen.

You may be right. For all I know, Geno scored 100% with his reads last night.  I just do not get a coach looking at  Sanchez last night and seeing anything to be encouraged about.  Like a previous poster said, two of his comps on the  TD drive came because receivers fell down, and it did look like they had a leash on Geno.  Bad teams cannot afford egregious mistakes by their QB.  And we all know Sanchez has cornered the market on egregious mistakes.  How about his post game comments?  "Who cares?"  Really!

+1

Agreed. I hate to say it because Rex said it to death last year, but from what I saw last night, right now Sanchez gives the team the best chance to win.

Geno doesn't look like he's ready yet.

Start McElroy then, and I'm serious.  Sanchez gives nobody a chance to win, if you are going to concede the QB position completely and not try and find out what we have with Geno just start Greg.  At least he doesn't get afraid when a pocket collapses.

Start McElroy then, and I'm serious.  Sanchez gives nobody a chance to win, if you are going to concede the QB position completely and not try and find out what we have with Geno just start Greg.  At least he doesn't get afraid when a pocket collapses.

McElroy hasn't felt any pressure yet and failed in the regular season.

Sanchez actually played well after the pick 6, but Geno is a better passer so in the end Geno will have the job.

He (Geno) isn't ready yet though.  I would think around the eighth game or after the bye week Geno will get his shot. 

In the meantime, let Sanchez play behind the retooled offensive line.  There's no need to throw Geno to the wolves right away.

Go Jets.

McElroy hasn't felt any pressure yet and failed in the regular season.

McElroy has been given a total of 31 pass attempts in the regular season where he went 19/31 for 214 yards 1 TD, 1 INT, and 1 fumble.  That's failure?  If that is the final judgement how the hell are people still saying Sanchez deserves to start?  

If the coaching staff refuses to play Geno they are already conceding the QB position to failure, you might as well find out what you have in Greg.  The only reason Sanchez is starting is because of his draft pedigree and paycheck, cause it sure as hell isn't his play on the field.

McElroy has been given a total of 31 pass attempts in the regular season where he went 19/31 for 214 yards 1 TD, 1 INT, and 1 fumble.  That's failure?  If that is the final judgement how the hell are people still saying Sanchez deserves to start?  

If the coaching staff refuses to play Geno they are already conceding the QB position to failure, you might as well find out what you have in Greg.  The only reason Sanchez is starting is because of his draft pedigree and paycheck, cause it sure as hell isn't his play on the field.

Sacked 11 times in one game as well. McElroy is a 3rd string QB. Sanchez has lead this team to 2 AFC championship games, he has to improve because the talent sour rounding him hasn't.

Sacked 11 times in one game as well. McElroy is a 3rd string QB. Sanchez has lead this team to 2 AFC championship games, he has to improve because the talent sour rounding him hasn't.

McElsack is the worst QB i've ever seen.  scared little girl

Sanchez didn't lead us to sh*t, an amazing defense and running game led this team to 2 AFC championship games.  The talent surrounding him isn't a valid excuse it's been four years, he still throws into triple coverage (quadruple coverage even!)  and can't actually throw to targets 2 yards away without the ball being 2 feet over their heads.

Seriously how are their still fans who think this guy can be a legitimate QB in the NFL? The only reason I can think of is Stockholm syndrome. If anybody on the roster is a third string QB, it's Sanchez.

Sanchez didn't lead us to sh*t, an amazing defense and running game led this team to 2 AFC championship games. The talent surrounding him isn't a valid excuse it's been four years, he still throws into triple coverage (quadruple coverage even!) and can't actually throw to targets 2 yards away without the ball being 2 feet over their heads.

Seriously how are their still fans who think this guy can be a legitimate QB in the NFL? The only reason I can think of is Stockholm syndrome. If anybody on the roster is a third string QB, it's Sanchez.

Sanchez is better than McElroy. The receiver corps are below average, the running game is below average and let's start the worst QB on the roster. Genius!!!!!!

Sanchez is better than McElroy. The receiver corps are below average, the running game is below average and let's start the worst QB on the roster. Genius!!!!!!

Well first off if you think he's worse I don't think thats such a bad thing, if it means we get rid of Rex and get a high draft pick at the end of this season.

But seriously what have you seen on the field in anyway that shows Sanchez is good, at his best he's a below average QB.  McElroy is an unknown. he might be worse but honestly we have no clue, why not throw him in so we find out if we actually have a reliable back up with him.

Geno should start this season, if the coaching staff won't do it Sanchez shouldn't be the answer.

Well first off if you think he's worse I don't think thats such a bad thing, if it means we get rid of Rex and get a high draft pick at the end of this season.

But seriously what have you seen on the field in anyway that shows Sanchez is good, at his best he's a below average QB.  McElroy is an unknown. he might be worse but honestly we have no clue, why not throw him in so we find out if we actually have a reliable back up with him.

Geno should start this season, if the coaching staff won't do it Sanchez shouldn't be the answer.

You hate Rex and Sanchez I get it. You want to destroy Geno as well?

+1.

I want the Sanchez era to be over too, but I don't want to destroy Smith to do it, and McElroy is not an answer for any question that isn't "Who's your third string QB in the event of a catastrophe?"

Why would it destroy Geno?  Worse teams then the Jets have thrown out rookie QBs and it didn't destroy them.  If they get destroyed they probably weren't going to be great QBs to begin with.  Good way to find out what he actually will be in this league.

Also I don't hate anybody it's sports not life or death.  Both Rex and Sanchez have shown they aren't capable of doing the jobs they constantly been given.  Rex is a great D coordinator masquerading as a head coach and Sanchez is well, the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Geno has potential but he just isn't ready.  Sanchez threw the terrible pick 6 but rebounded the rest of the game.  You are graded on everything so the pick 6 is part of it.  But that last drive and the TD pass to Cumberland was on the money.

Morhinweg has a real system, the receivers are open finally.  They have to go with a veteran to start so Mark will get one last shot.

Speaking of which the Tampa game is so damn important for him.  His career is basically riding on it.  But you heard it here first, Mark Sanchez will be the starter when the season opens...

Cumberland was WIDE open....it was a blown coverage.  Glen Foley would have completed that pass.  Stop making excuses for Sanchez, he almost threw 3 pick 6's if you go back and watch it.  Same guy the past 2 years is the same guy your seeing this year.  You want that again?  I certainly don't.  We need to bring a veteran QB in to compete for and ultimately win the starting job.  Maybe give Jamarcus Russle another chance?

Cumberland was WIDE open....it was a blown coverage.  Glen Foley would have completed that pass.  Stop making excuses for Sanchez, he almost threw 3 pick 6's if you go back and watch it.  Same guy the past 2 years is the same guy your seeing this year.  You want that again?  I certainly don't.  We need to bring a veteran QB in to compete for and ultimately win the starting job.  Maybe give Jamarcus Russle another chance?

Now it's up to 3?!  

LOLDANG

You may be right. For all I know, Geno scored 100% with his reads last night.  I just do not get a coach looking at  Sanchez last night and seeing anything to be encouraged about.  Like a previous poster said, two of his comps on the  TD drive came because receivers fell down, and it did look like they had a leash on Geno.  Bad teams cannot afford egregious mistakes by their QB.  And we all know Sanchez has cornered the market on egregious mistakes.  How about his post game comments?  "Who cares?"  Really!

If there is one thing to be happy about it is that Sanchez was 10/13.  I think he should actually go down as 11/13 since the pick six was technically completed.  lol............

That was one of the few good tackles our team made. Josh Bush also brought some lumber, he might be a dark horse candidate to start next to Landry.

Based on what Rex said a week or so ago, that won't happen.  Landry and Bush are at FS and Allen and Jarrett are at SS.

If Mark Sanchez does indeed start he better win & limit his turnover ratio. If he throws a interception to Revis week 1 then it would have been a mistake to start him.

More Touchdown passes like the one to Cumberland that sanchez threw the more of a chance he will probably start. He just can't throw redzone picks and over throw recievers. I think Geno will start week 4 or 5

I disagree.  Geno simply isn't ready in regard to reading the D, figuring out protections and seeing the blitz.  You don't want to get him killed, especially if the OL is still struggling and has yet to gel.  Unless Sanchez is awful, I think it will be closer to the bye before Geno starts.  Game 5 is vs Atlanta, game 6 is vs Pittsburgh, and game 7 vs NE.  The Cincy is game 8 with NO game 9.  Followed by the bye.  I think it would be very tough to ask Geno to make his first start against one of those teams.    Of course Baltimore is game 11.  Looking at it purely in terms of the easier teams for Geno to make his start against, it would either be Buffalo in game 3, Tennessee in game 4, or Oakland game 13.  If Geno does come in early in the season, it might be advantageous to start him in game 3.  That would make his first 2 games against weaker opponents and give him a chance to get in a groove and confidence high before the meat of the schedule, or wait until maybe week 8 vs Cincy.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Based on what Rex said a week or so ago, that won't happen.  Landry and Bush are at FS and Allen and Jarrett are at SS.

They're interchangeable in this defense.  The fact that Kyle Wilson was getting safety snaps, and Jarrett just replaced Allen with the ones, tells me that anything can happen. 

Why would it destroy Geno? Worse teams then the Jets have thrown out rookie QBs and it didn't destroy them. If they get destroyed they probably weren't going to be great QBs to begin with. Good way to find out what he actually will be in this league.

Also I don't hate anybody it's sports not life or death. Both Rex and Sanchez have shown they aren't capable of doing the jobs they constantly been given. Rex is a great D coordinator masquerading as a head coach and Sanchez is well, the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Like Rex or not he made the Jets relevant.

What exactly is the upside of this team starting Sanchez? We know exactly how awful he is as you saw last night. He probably should've had 2 pick 6s if Winslow didn't pancake glover quin btw.

The upside?  How about not getting Geno seriously injured while the OL gets their act together?  How about not throwing him to the wolves when he isn't ready to read Ds and see the blitz coming?  How about not risking ruining his potential by destroying his confidence or having him get in bad habits because he's not ready to play at a high level?

Yes, Sanchez sucks.  Ideally, the Jets would have had another QB that could have started instead of Sanchez while Geno was developing.  Perhaps Idzik made a mistake by going with Garrard instead of Campbell or Gradkowski, but it is what it is and we have to live with it.  Starting Sanchez is the lesser of two evils if Geno isn't ready to start game 1.  There's just no other wise course of action.

The upside?  How about not getting Geno seriously injured while the OL gets their act together?  How about not throwing him to the wolves when he isn't ready to read Ds and see the blitz coming?  How about not risking ruining his potential by destroying his confidence or having him get in bad habits because he's not ready to play at a high level?

Yes, Sanchez sucks.  Ideally, the Jets would have had another QB that could have started instead of Sanchez while Geno was developing.  Perhaps Idzik made a mistake by going with Garrard instead of Campbell or Gradkowski, but it is what it is and we have to live with it.  Starting Sanchez is the lesser of two evils if Geno isn't ready to start game 1.  There's just no other wise course of action.

+1000000000

We can all hope Sanchez improves and becomes tradable, who am I kidding.

Yes because after the first few weeks there is a rule that goes into effect where you can't blitz a rookie QB every play. He won't learn by sitting.

C'mon, guy, you're smarter than that.  With increased practice time and watching, he'll have more time to adjust to the speed of the game, be better able to read Ds and and when they're gonna blitz, and just get more comfortable and confident overall.  He'll then be more relaxed, confident and prepared to deal with blitzes.

Sanchez didn't lead us to sh*t, an amazing defense and running game led this team to 2 AFC championship games.  The talent surrounding him isn't a valid excuse it's been four years, he still throws into triple coverage (quadruple coverage even!)  and can't actually throw to targets 2 yards away without the ball being 2 feet over their heads.

Based on my couple of months on this forum, there are only 2-3 delusional fans on this site who still think Sanchez can be a quality NFL QB.  The rest of us know he sucks.  It's just that we don't want to ruin Geno.  We want to give him every chance to succeed.  The Jets aren't going to the playoffs this year anyway, and especially not the SB, so there's no reason to throw Geno to the wolves and risk ruining him.  Give him time to develop properly, let Sanchez take the beating while the OL gels and gets its act together,  Even if the team is 0-6  or 2-8 by the time Geno takes over, all won't be lost.  That will have the team in great position to get  the QB they want if Geno shows late in the season he isn't going to be their QB of the future, or perhaps Clowney or Marquise Lee.  Some things cannot and should not be rushed, just because we're impatient and want satisfaction now.

McElroy has to take some of the blame for that many sacks, but most of that has to go on the OL and OC.  One game, where his stat line was pretty decent aside from the sacks, is not enough to judge a player.  To flat out say that he is a 3rd stringer or sucks is just silly and nonsensical.  The only thing we know for certain is that he has less arm strength than either Sanchez or Geno. There's no way he can be as bad as Sanchez.

Archived