Sanchez is going to be the starter

Maxman

1).  LOL, good luck with that. 

2). "35th best QB out of the 100 or so in the league", sure.  But that's only because three teams actually have back-up QBs that I believe are more talented than Mark Sanchez.  But I've also said, that with the right talent around him--Mark has the ability to be a middling QB (16-22) which is good enough in this league. 

middling QBs rarely win super bowls in this era.  Lets say, with great talent around him, Sanchez could spit your estimate, and be the 19th best QB in the league.  The 19th best QB is not worth building that kind of roster around.  As you admit, there are back-ups more talented than Sanchez, that means we should be making all efforts to upgrade the position.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:  

(1) You're the Captain.  Anything Mark does on your watch is obviously your fault.  

(2) No worries though, despite your obvious agenda to bash on Sanchez every time he looks cross, or passes gas, he actually turned in a "professional QB" caliber performance.  [10-13, 125 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int...Rating 99.8].  Far be it from me to use Sanchez statistics to support my stance, this is one of very few opportunities when his numbers actual work in my favor; I'm going to use them.  

He played for a quarter and scored as much for the other team as for the Jets and they were down when he left the game.

1).  LOL, good luck with that. 

2). "35th best QB out of the 100 or so in the league", sure.  But that's only because three teams actually have back-up QBs that I believe are more talented than Mark Sanchez.  But I've also said, that with the right talent around him--Mark has the ability to be a middling QB (16-22) which is good enough in this league. 

He isn't even in the same universe as the 16th best QB though. Never has been. 

There's one thing in wanting to win more, there's another for kids in their early 20s complaining how your three-time SB winning, HOF head coach is ruining the prime of your QB, when they weren't even cognizant for their victories.  It's the same thing with the majority of yankees' fans who grew up during their title runs and never experienced any of the losing years, only it's magnified in Boston, because for whatever reason those fans don't know how to react to winning and seem to enjoy being bitter instead.

Thats everywhere today and not just in Boston.

middling QBs rarely win super bowls in this era.  Lets say, with great talent around him, Sanchez could spit your estimate, and be the 19th best QB in the league.  The 19th best QB is not worth building that kind of roster around.  As you admit, there are back-ups more talented than Sanchez, that means we should be making all efforts to upgrade the position.

The Jets should draft another QB next draft. Maybe with the 1st.

SF drafted Kapernick with Smith on the roster and then traded him to KC for the 33rd pick.

A middling QB can get your team into the playoffs, and that's all you can ask for.  From there it's a crap shoot based on team-health, momentum, and getting "hot" at the right time as to who wins the whole thing. 

Just using last year as an example, the top-12 teams (well, those who made it into the playoffs) and their QB rank (using "passer rating", though I despise that statistic).  

NFC:

1. Matt Ryan (#5)

2. Colin Kaepernick (#7)

3. Aaron Rogers (#1)

4. RGIII (#3)

5. Russell Wilson (#4)

6. Christian Ponder (#22)

AFC:

1. Payton Manning (#2)

2. Tom Brady (#6)

3. Matt Schaub (#9)

4. Joe Flacco (#13)

5. Andrew Luck (#27)

6. Andy Dalton (#14)

From a casual glance it's obvious to tell that great QB play is a decisive factor in getting your team into the playoffs. The top-7 passers (using this metric) got their teams into the playoffs.  But considering the top-10 are and forever will be off limits (there's not a chance in hell we will get Rogers, Manning, Ryan, Brady, etc), we have to either resign to the fact that we will need a team effort to compensate for less-than-incredible QB play, or, we will need to draft our savior (the approach which saw, Wilson, Griffin, Luck and to some degree Dalton get their teams into January play).  

So far, we drafted Geno...not proactively mind you, he landed in our lap so we pulled the trigger.  But, apparently this last year wasn't the year to get our "savior" anyway.  So until the next opportunity comes to get our top-10 quarterback, we have to make due with what we have...right now that is Mark Sanchez.  So for all intents and purposes, we SHOULD be making the roster around him better, because something has got to compensate for his shortcomings.   

SF drafted Kapernick with Smith on the roster and then traded him to KC for the 33rd pick.

I fully agree with this.  Next year's draft figures to be rich in QB talent, it would be a shame to not pull the trigger because of Geno Smith. 

He played for a quarter and scored as much for the other team as for the Jets and they were down when he left the game.

He isn't even in the same universe as the 16th best QB though. Never has been. 

Interceptions happen.  What happens after them is a product of the defender.  Cam, Jay and Joe are considered good QBs, they threw picks in preseason...along with 17 other QBs. 

This is why Smith needs to play, a lot. They need to find out about him.

If he's ready.  If he's not I wouldn't mind Geno being a bench body until he's ready (whether that be until the bye, or for a couple years).  I think people are enamored with Geno because he can throw the ball better than anything we've seen in a while.  It's "neat" to see a QB throw fastballs.  But there's so much more to the position, and Geno hasn't demonstrated that he can do what it takes, yet.  

Unless we go deep deep deep into the playoffs, and even then as long as Sanchez doesn't "lose" us that game, he will be gone after this season.

I'm a big fan of Teddy Bridgewater, I wouldn't mind Geno holding his clipboard.  

If he's ready.  If he's not I wouldn't mind Geno being a bench body until he's ready (whether that be until the bye, or for a couple years).  I think people are enamored with Geno because he can throw the ball better than anything we've seen in a while.  It's "neat" to see a QB throw fastballs.  But there's so much more to the position, and Geno hasn't demonstrated that he can do what it takes, yet.  

Unless we go deep deep deep into the playoffs, and even then as long as Sanchez doesn't "lose" us that game, he will be gone after this season.

I'm a big fan of Teddy Bridgewater, I wouldn't mind Geno holding his clipboard.  

I think you're missing the point here. This isn't about being enamored with Smith, this is about knowing what we have in Sanchez and not knowing what we have in Smith and there being zero upside to Sanchez starting another game for the Jets. We KNOW Sanchez is awful at all those "other things" the position takes. The only way to find out what Smith is is for him for play so the Jets know if they need to make a play at Bridgewater or another QB in the draft. 

I think you're missing the point here. This isn't about being enamored with Smith, this is about knowing what we have in Sanchez and not knowing what we have in Smith and there being zero upside to Sanchez starting another game for the Jets. The only way to find out what Smith is is for him for play so the Jets know if they need to make a play at Bridgewater or another QB in the draft. 

Some gay poster pointed out so eloquently, Geno's problems are pre-snap---Mark's are post snap.  I have zero concerns about Geno's ability to throw the ball.  It's his pre-snap adjustments, dodging live bullets, staring down his primary receiver, etc.  I dont need to see him in live action to extrapolate what should be painfully obvious to the coaching staff in practice.

I think we should make a play for Teddy regardless.  He can zip it, AND move people around to stay upright and keep the play alive. 

Some gay poster pointed out so eloquently, Geno's problems are pre-snap---Mark's are post snap.  I have zero concerns about Geno's ability to throw the ball.  It's his pre-snap adjustments, dodging live bullets, staring down his primary receiver, etc.  I dont need to see him in live action to extrapolate what should be painfully obvious to the coaching staff in practice.

I think we should make a play for Teddy regardless.  He can zip it, AND move people around to stay upright and keep the play alive. 

I think it's WAY too early to say what Smith's problems are. We know Sanchez is miserable on both sides of the snap though.

Too soon to tell.  Kapernick/Smith would not be the same a Geno/Draft Pick if Geno comes on strong towards the end of the season.  All the more reason we need to see Geno play a minimum of 6 games this year, if not more.

A middling QB can get your team into the playoffs, and that's all you can ask for.  From there it's a crap shoot based on team-health, momentum, and getting "hot" at the right time as to who wins the whole thing. 

Just using last year as an example, the top-12 teams (well, those who made it into the playoffs) and their QB rank (using "passer rating", though I despise that statistic).  

NFC:

1. Matt Ryan (#5)

2. Colin Kaepernick (#7)

3. Aaron Rogers (#1)

4. RGIII (#3)

5. Russell Wilson (#4)

6. Christian Ponder (#22)

AFC:

1. Payton Manning (#2)

2. Tom Brady (#6)

3. Matt Schaub (#9)

4. Joe Flacco (#13)

5. Andrew Luck (#27)

6. Andy Dalton (#14)

From a casual glance it's obvious to tell that great QB play is a decisive factor in getting your team into the playoffs. The top-7 passers (using this metric) got their teams into the playoffs.  But considering the top-10 are and forever will be off limits (there's not a chance in hell we will get Rogers, Manning, Ryan, Brady, etc), we have to either resign to the fact that we will need a team effort to compensate for less-than-incredible QB play, or, we will need to draft our savior (the approach which saw, Wilson, Griffin, Luck and to some degree Dalton get their teams into January play).  

So far, we drafted Geno...not proactively mind you, he landed in our lap so we pulled the trigger.  But, apparently this last year wasn't the year to get our "savior" anyway.  So until the next opportunity comes to get our top-10 quarterback, we have to make due with what we have...right now that is Mark Sanchez.  So for all intents and purposes, we SHOULD be making the roster around him better, because something has got to compensate for his shortcomings.   

We should always be working to improve the roster.  The point being, unlike a guy like Luck, who was on the lower portion of the list in his rookie season, Sanchez should not be a part of any kind of long term plan, and he should not be involved so far as he is hindering the long term plan.

So, IMO, as I have stated, this is should be a question of is Geno ready?  So far, the answer appears to be no.  I actually think he was better in preseason than people give him credit for, though far from good.  But, the coaching staff does not feel like he can handle a full playbook, and until that happens, he's not ready.  The moment Geno is ready though, the plug needs to be pulled on Sanchez.  Any long term planning that dictates otherwise sets us up to be a wildcard team at best for the foreseeable future.

Too soon to tell. Kapernick/Smith would not be the same a Geno/Draft Pick if Geno comes on strong towards the end of the season. All the more reason we need to see Geno play a minimum of 6 games this year, if not more.

You have a Frank Gore running behind a good OL too? How about a #1 receiver to throw to? Kapernick has weapons to throw to and hand the ball off. Geno/Sanchez nada.

You have a Frank Gore running behind a good OL too? How about a #1 receiver to throw too? Kapernick has weapons to throw to and hand the ball off. Geno/Sanchez nada.

Kaepernick was LIGHT YEARS better last season than Sanchez has ever been in his career just throwing the football and that ignores everything he brings with his legs. The comparison is a joke.

Too soon to tell.  Kapernick/Smith would not be the same a Geno/Draft Pick if Geno comes on strong towards the end of the season.  All the more reason we need to see Geno play a minimum of 6 games this year, if not more.

It would be an utter and complete travesty if they wasted 10 games starting the worst QB in the NFL.

You have a Frank Gore running behind a good OL too? How about a #1 receiver to throw to? Kapernick has weapons to throw to and hand the ball off. Geno/Sanchez nada.

That comment has nothing to do with weaponzz and everything to do with drafting a QB in back to back years, and opposed to years apart.

so which is worse ?

1) sanchez is the worst starting QB in the NFL 4 years running

2) jets can't find anyone better

I'm going 2. 

Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Erik Ainge, Kevin O'Connell, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, Matt Simms, David Garrard...It's like they're not even trying to unseat Mark.  

I get pissed on for supporting Sanchez, but look at what we've done to address the position.  As bad as he is, they've found statistically worse players for him to "compete" with. 

I'm going 2. 

Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Erik Ainge, Kevin O'Connell, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, Matt Simms, David Garrard...It's like they're not even trying to unseat Mark.  

I get pissed on for supporting Sanchez, but look at what we've done to address the position.  As bad as he is, they've found statistically worse players for him to "compete" with. 

Hence: Tannenbaum is unemployed.

Really?

Besides Bridgewater IMO the talent isn't a lot better then this years

It's what the cool kids are saying.  Last year's draft yielded one QB per round until the fourth (where there were 4 QBs were drafted), and then not again until the 7th round (four again). 

In addition to Bridgewater, there is Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Aaron Murray, Taylor Martinez might make a move. 

That comment has nothing to do with weaponzz and everything to do with drafting a QB in back to back years, and opposed to years apart.

The 49ers stuck by Smith for a long time and were able to put themselves in that position because of the weapons the put around Smith. One has something to do with the other.

It's what the cool kids are saying.  Last year's draft yielded one QB per round until the fourth (where there were 4 QBs were drafted), and then not again until the 7th round (four again). 

In addition to Bridgewater, there is Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Aaron Murray, Taylor Martinez might make a move. 

LOL

Yeah, this time last year all the kool kids were saying that Matt Barkley was the stone lock #1 pick.      When the season ended almost everyone had Smith going #1.  Almost no one had him falling out of the top 10

Like this year's draft IMO most of the top candidates have serious faults.  It's really silly to debate this at this point, and I probably shouldn't have brought it up,

I just don't think there is really a sure fire lock that jumps out at me.   Right now if I had to lock in for a #1 pick it would be Clowney.      It's almost a year away and probably a moot point as the Jets will be 12-4 and not looking for a QB  :)   Right?

LOL  

Manziel is coming out too.

The 49ers stuck by Smith for a long time and were able to put themselves in that position because of the weapons the put around Smith. One has something to do with the other.

Which has what to do with my response of not thinking we should draft a qb in back to back years without knowing what the one on the roster is capable of?

Archived