Sanchez is going to be the starter

Maxman

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I despise watching Sanchez play as much as anyone, but if you start Geno right now, he's going to get people killed because he just can't manage the game right now. You saw the blitzers run smack dab into the ball carrier's face on at least three occasions on plays that he should have audibled out of. Next time, it won't be the RB getting steamrolled, it'll be him. All that pre-snap stuff is where Mark has light years of an advantage. He's always been considered well-schooled, meaning that he can run the game, but throwing the ball to the open guy yet escapes him. Geno is the opposite--he'll light people up in a schoolyard game, but he's not prepared to run an offense right now.

Exactly, but the problem is that some fans won't listen to facts or logic.  They are so blinded for their hatred for Sanchez that they can't see through that what is best for Geno is also what's best for the team.  The best thing that can happen for the team is that Geno develops into a topflight starting QB.  To do that, he's gonna need some time, but they refuse to acknowledge that.  They are willing to risk ruining Geno's chance to develop into a quality starter or his getting seriously injured all to satisfy their needs for instant gratification and never see Sanchez on the field again.  It's sad.

Exactly, but the problem is that some fans won't listen to facts or logic.  They are so blinded for their hatred for Sanchez that they can't see through that what is best for Geno is also what's best for the team.  The best thing that can happen for the team is that Geno develops into a topflight starting QB.  To do that, he's gonna need some time, but they refuse to acknowledge that.  They are willing to risk ruining Geno's chance to develop into a quality starter or his getting seriously injured all to satisfy their needs for instant gratification and never see Sanchez on the field again.  It's sad.

Yup. And I agree 100%. Sanchez is a frustrating SOB, but I'm not willing to destroy Smith just to get rid of Sanchez. This season is a rebuilding season, all but a lost cause before it's even begun, and that shows in how Smith played/how much he needs to learn before taking over. The alternate reality some fans are living in about Geno starting Week 1 are seriously beginning to get on my nerves.

Plus, some of the crap I've seen wished on Sanchez from JETS FANS is some of the worst I've ever heard. Sanchez is a bad QB, but really, you'd think most of these people had never watched the Jets before 2009. The Jets have never been very good for any extended period that I can remember. Another year with Sanchez starting most of the season while Smith gets his act together is not the worst thing this team could do.

This team is going to be bad. The schedule is going to dictate when Smith starts. There is no way the Jets are going to start him vs. the Bucs and then again 5 days later in Foxboro. Still Smith is going to get thrown in there to see if he can sink or swim. WOuld bet it's no sooner than week 3. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

by definition it is impractical to build a team around an average or worse QB.  It's the most important position on the field. 

Eh.  You build the team.  To say it is "impractical" means that it would be more practical to keep making Ricky Williams/Herschel Walker deals for a "franchise QB" until you find one instead of actual building a team.  Yes it is probably easier to find a top 10 QB than to make an uber-team that can win with a bottom 5, but you try for both and keep your resources available as best you can for when players become available. Like Sperm said, the problem with Sanchez is that beyond just sucking, his salary ties us down.  For years.  The draft picks may have been worth the risk, but not the money over this term.

I despise watching Sanchez play as much as anyone, but if you start Geno right now, he's going to get people killed because he just can't manage the game right now. You saw the blitzers run smack dab into the ball carrier's face on at least three occasions on plays that he should have audibled out of. Next time, it won't be the RB getting steamrolled, it'll be him. All that pre-snap stuff is where Mark has light years of an advantage. He's always been considered well-schooled, meaning that he can run the game, but throwing the ball to the open guy yet escapes him. Geno is the opposite--he'll light people up in a schoolyard game, but he's not prepared to run an offense right now.

Seems about right.  Hopefully he will start to click as time goes on.

I've been trying to explain this to a guy on twitter for almost 24 hours now and he just refuses to get it. "ALL QBs RISK GETTING CRUSHED!" ... "er, but they get crushed less if they recognize they're being blitzed." .... "ALL QBs RISK GETTING INJURED!" ... "sigh."

Eh.  You build the team.  To say it is "impractical" means that it would be more practical to keep making Ricky Williams/Herschel Walker deals for a "franchise QB" until you find one instead of actual building a team.  Yes it is probably easier to find a top 10 QB than to make an uber-team that can win with a bottom 5, but you try for both and keep your resources available as best you can for when players become available. Like Sperm said, the problem with Sanchez is that beyond just sucking, his salary ties us down.  For years.  The draft picks may have been worth the risk, but not the money over this term.

Seems about right.  Hopefully he will start to click as time goes on.

I don't mean to endorse the Ricky Williams strategy.  And I agree that you try to build all aspects of a team.  I wouldn't be too happy with a New Orleans Saints situation where you have a great quarterback that has to put up 450 yards every game because the defense is awful.

My main point was that I question the wisdom of someone who looks at Sanchez's body of work and thinks "Yeah, bro.  I can totally work with this".

I've been trying to explain this to a guy on twitter for almost 24 hours now and he just refuses to get it. "ALL QBs RISK GETTING CRUSHED!" ... "er, but they get crushed less if they recognize they're being blitzed." .... "ALL QBs RISK GETTING INJURED!" ... "sigh."

Twitter people are strange.

This all sounds great in theory, but despite your attempts to toss it aside, the main difference between the 49ers ability to go from playing in the championship game to the Super Bowl, while the Jets had back to back season in the championship game before going on a downward spiral, was that the 9ers managed to upgrade their QB position while the Jets stuck with Sanchez's sorry ass.  Of course the other talent they built up helped them have the kind of roster that was capable of getting that far, but in the end the difference maker was still the QB.  Bottom line, the 9ers don't make it to the Super Bowl last season if they stick with Smith all year.  In all likelihood, they don't even make it past the divisional round.

This all sounds great in theory, but despite your attempts to toss it aside, the main difference between the 49ers ability to go from playing in the championship game to the Super Bowl, while the Jets had back to back season in the championship game before going on a downward spiral, was that the 9ers managed to upgrade their QB position while the Jets stuck with Sanchez's sorry ass.  Of course the other talent they built up helped them have the kind of roster that was capable of getting that far, but in the end the difference maker was still the QB.  Bottom line, the 9ers don't make it to the Super Bowl last season if they stick with Smith all year.  In all likelihood, they don't even make it past the divisional round.

Who knows.  Smith was at like 70 percent accurate before the injury and it wasn' this fault the 49ers lost to the Giants the year before.   The biggest difference is the Jets seem to be terrible at developing and improving players, whereas Harbaugh and staff seemed to make Smith into a QB.  Remember Alex Smith was done and considered a bust.  A bust far worse than Sanchez without any real success as a QB or as a winner.  

Regardless of how the team built itself up, Smith became a big reason why the team didn't lose.     And then when Kapernick took over they 49ers seemed to know how to utilize his skills.  They didn't dump Kapernick into the mix and run him up the middle or force him to be like Alex Smith.    The Jets got Tim Tebow and turned him into a guy who would block on punts.   That really tells you that Ryan and staff don't seem to have a clue how to use players.  Tebow sucks as a QB, but the Broncos took him all the way to a playoff win.   The Jets never even bothered to play the guy despite Sanchez and McElroy being useless.    And back to Sanchez.  He sucks, but so did Alex Smith.  Sometimes coaches know how to use players and get the most out of them. Rex seems to do that for the most part on defense.  If Sanchez has an avg year this year, then all the credit should go to MM and Idzik and staff.  If Sanchez still sucks, and Geno isn't good enough to play, what's that say about the future of this organization no matter who they get?   Some teams seem to know how to use and develop players.  

I have found it very tough to get excited at all about this club this season.  Anyone expecting the kid Geno to start the season is completely unrealistic.  Just like Sanchez, the Jets picked the wrong year to take a QB, and did not take the best QB available.  So Sanchez will pilot us to 4 or 6 wins this year, he will be cut, and Geno will do the same next year.  What is worse than having a lame QB that is prone to mistakes?  Having the lame QB that is prone to mistakes to go along with no running game and nobody worth a crap to throw to.

Who knows.  Smith was at like 70 percent accurate before the injury and it wasn' this fault the 49ers lost to the Giants the year before.   The biggest difference is the Jets seem to be terrible at developing and improving players, whereas Harbaugh and staff seemed to make Smith into a QB.  Remember Alex Smith was done and considered a bust.  A bust far worse than Sanchez without any real success as a QB or as a winner.  

Regardless of how the team built itself up, Smith became a big reason why the team didn't lose.     And then when Kapernick took over they 49ers seemed to know how to utilize his skills.  They didn't dump Kapernick into the mix and run him up the middle or force him to be like Alex Smith.    The Jets got Tim Tebow and turned him into a guy who would block on punts.   That really tells you that Ryan and staff don't seem to have a clue how to use players.  Tebow sucks as a QB, but the Broncos took him all the way to a playoff win.   The Jets never even bothered to play the guy despite Sanchez and McElroy being useless.    And back to Sanchez.  He sucks, but so did Alex Smith.  Sometimes coaches know how to use players and get the most out of them. Rex seems to do that for the most part on defense.  If Sanchez has an avg year this year, then all the credit should go to MM and Idzik and staff.  If Sanchez still sucks, and Geno isn't good enough to play, what's that say about the future of this organization no matter who they get?   Some teams seem to know how to use and develop players.  

Except Smith had already started to turn his career around before Harbaugh got there.  I don't doubt Harbaugh was a positive influence on him and helped make him better still, but in no way was it Alex Smith still the horrible bust, then Harbaugh arrives and that's when he stopped being a horrible bust.

Before Harbaugh got there, Smith was already better than Sanchez.

Except Smith had already started to turn his career around before Harbaugh got there.  I don't doubt Harbaugh was a positive influence on him and helped make him better still, but in no way was it Alex Smith still the horrible bust, then Harbaugh arrives and that's when he stopped being a horrible bust.

Before Harbaugh got there, Smith was already better than Sanchez.

Smith was worse than Sanchez.   He was a bust and people wanted Shaun Hill to start over him.   The only reason the 49ers kept him around was because he took a pay cut to stay. And in 2010 people wanted David Carr to replace him.  Eventually Troy Smith started over him.    His own head coach that got fired (singletary) said you need a QB to win.  

So this theory that Smith wasn't a bust and was better than Sanchez is odd.  Or it's just from people who don't have a clue how bad Alex Smith was and how much the fans and even his own team wanted him gone.      Alex Smith was a guy who only won like 19 games in 5 seasons.   And a lot of those games he sucked or got benched.   I mean when David Carr and Troy Smith are preferred over you, that's a guy who is a bust.   

Harbaugh came into the mix and Alex Smith suddenly became a QB who almost got his team to a super bowl.   I'm not sure if you're just stuck in Sanchez sucks land, because the reality is,  Alex Smith was far more hated and far more a bust than Sanchez ever was and somehow the guy turned his career around in 2011.  Give Harbaugh credit or not, but before that, people preferred Troy Smith over him and his own former HC thought he sucked.

Smith was worse than Sanchez.   He was a bust and people wanted Shaun Hill to start over him.   The only reason the 49ers kept him around was because he took a pay cut to stay. And in 2010 people wanted David Carr to replace him.  Eventually Troy Smith started over him.    His own head coach that got fired (singletary) said you need a QB to win.  

So this theory that Smith wasn't a bust and was better than Sanchez is odd.  Or it's just from people who don't have a clue how bad Alex Smith was and how much the fans and even his own team wanted him gone.      Alex Smith was a guy who only won like 19 games in 5 seasons.   And a lot of those games he sucked or got benched.   I mean when David Carr and Troy Smith are preferred over you, that's a guy who is a bust.   

Harbaugh came into the mix and Alex Smith suddenly became a QB who almost got his team to a super bowl.   I'm not sure if you're just stuck in Sanchez sucks land, because the reality is,  Alex Smith was far more hated and far more a bust than Sanchez ever was and somehow the guy turned his career around in 2011.  Give Harbaugh credit or not, but before that, people preferred Troy Smith over him and his own former HC thought he sucked.

Look at the numbers.  I think your memory is a litle bit off.  Smith has been better than Sanchez the past four years.  Of course Smith was a bust, it's just that was 2007 and prior.  He has been solid or better since 2009. 2008 he sat out because of a shoulder injury.  Yes, it took time for people to believe in the guy when he was an adequate QB in 2009 and 2010 after sucking so bad his first three years. 

Look at the numbers.  I think your memory is a litle bit off.  Smith has been better than Sanchez the past four years.  Of course Smith was a bust, it's just that was 2007 and prior.  He has been solid or better since 2009. 2008 he sat out because of a shoulder injury.  Yes, it took time for people to believe in the guy when he was an adequate QB in 2009 and 2010 after sucking so bad his first three years. 

I live on the West Coast. I spent time up in San Fran during those years.  People hated the guy.   He didn't have a good 2010,  his own damn coach thought he sucked.  And in 2010, that was the year he kept getting benched or replaced for Troy Smith.     Was he a turnover machine like Sanchez?  No, but the guy didn't really have a 'good' season till 2011.   People assume Harbaugh was going to dump the guy when he became HC.

It seems Jets fans either are clueless about the west coast are just choose to believe Sanchez is the worst ever.   When has anybody written an article about Sanchez being this huge bust?  The guy sucks, but nobody calls the guy the biggest bust in NFL History.   Alex Smith had articles written before the 2011 Season asking whether or not he was the biggest bust in NFL History.   49ers fans hated the guy.  And they hated the guy when the 49ers were 5-1 in 2011.  It wasn't like he suddenly became some top QB.  

Sanchez sucks, but sometimes it's just odd how people don't have a clue what goes on around the NFL.

I live on the West Coast. I spent time up in San Fran during those years.  People hated the guy.   He didn't have a good 2010,  his own damn coach thought he sucked.  And in 2010, that was the year he kept getting benched or replaced for Troy Smith.     Was he a turnover machine like Sanchez?  No, but the guy didn't really have a 'good' season till 2011.   People assume Harbaugh was going to dump the guy when he became HC.

It seems Jets fans either are clueless about the west coast are just choose to believe Sanchez is the worst ever.   When has anybody written an article about Sanchez being this huge bust?  The guy sucks, but nobody calls the guy the biggest bust in NFL History.   Alex Smith had articles written before the 2011 Season asking whether or not he was the biggest bust in NFL History.   49ers fans hated the guy.  And they hated the guy when the 49ers were 5-1 in 2011.  It wasn't like he suddenly became some top QB.  

Sanchez sucks, but sometimes it's just odd how people don't have a clue what goes on around the NFL.

Are you talking about the perception or the player?  Of course Smith was considered as big a bust as anybody.  He was the first pick in the draft and was horrible.  Even when he started playing better, the stigma was there and made worse by Rodgers blowing up.  I wasn't talking about Smith's first couple of years vs. the first couple of seasons for Sanchez, but by the time he was benched for Kaepernick, Smith had put together a few seasons that were better than what Sanchez has done.

Archived