former Eagle, Jet and Jaguar Hugh Douglas out at ESPN after using racist term toward co-host Michael Smith

Blackout

Hugh Douglas was inebriated and threatened to beat up his colleague Michael Smith three times Friday night, a source who witnessed the altercation at the House of Blues in Orlando tells The Big Lead. According to the source, Douglas, who appears on Numbers Never Lie on ESPN with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill, was trying to get on stage where the DJ was playing, and threatened to beat up Smith if he couldn’t help out. After the third threat, Smith tried to walk away, at which point Douglas grabbed Smith’s wrist and hurled two racial epithets at him, calling him an “Uncle Tom” and a “House N—-.” Smith, the witness says, turned around to protect himself, at which point onlookers rushed in to break it up.

Three independent sources have verified this version of events.

Douglas was then pulled aside by someone from ESPN who was in attendance, and the two briefly spoke. Douglas then left the party.

A source at ESPN says that Douglas has been yanked off Numbers Never Lie until the network can sort out details from the night. Douglas, who hasn’t tweeted since the incident, couldn’t be reached for comment. Smith, who hosted the show Monday, didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The event was hosted by the National Association of Black Journalists, and the party was to raise money for college scholarships. A NABJ official who refused to be quoted by name told The Big Lead, “we’re confident that ESPN will handle the situation in an appropriate manner.”

Douglas came to ESPN by way of the NFL, where he was once a first round draft pick of the Jets. On the heels of Riley Cooper’s situation in Philadelphia, and Douglas using racial slurs in the direction of his colleague, one is reminded of 2006 in Philadelphia, when the Eagles narrative was that Donovan McNabb couldn’t “win the locker room” because he wasn’t “a leader.” If you remember, the complaint with McNabb was he couldn’t win the respect of some of his teammates; the Philadelphia head of the NAACP didn’t think McNabb was black enough. Years later, Philadelphia boxer Bernard Hopkins made racially-tinged remarks about the final McNabb years in Philly.

During McNabb’s infamous dispute with Terrell Owens, many in the Philly locker room reportedly sided with the clownish Owens over the greatest QB in the history of the franchise. Douglas wasn’t on that Eagles team, but he publicly questioned McNabb’s leadership at the time. (In 2011, Douglas was still not done with McNabb, calling him a ‘sissy‘ on Dan LeBatard’s show at the 4:04 mark before quickly taking it back.) Douglas is a fair representation of the mentality that exists within many NFL locker rooms. Guys like McNabb and Smith – who covered the Patriots for the Globe – are viewed as sellouts.

The NFL locker room can be a confusing place.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/08/13/hugh-douglas-espn-part-ways/2648757/

Sounds like Hugh Douglas is a jerk

House N____ is pretty racist though. I wouldn't call him a racist, just an ignorant crab ass. 

Michael Smith is a f'ing jerk though. I remember first seeing him on ESPN and he was getting super hyped and overly emotional because one of the commentators didnt agree with his point of view. It got to the point where the other two commentators were looking at him funny given how serious he got. My very first thought was "wow, this dude is acting like such a b__ch a_s n___ right now". Maybe Hugh got the same vibe, difference is I dont work for ESPN so I can say what I want lol. 

"uncle Tom" isn't necessarily a racist term moreso a personal attack

Would Douglas have called him that if he wasn't black (or if Smith was black enough or something, as I guess Douglas sees it)? Seems unlikely.

It's a term used towards certain people of your race, and to the best of this white guy's knowledge it's exclusively used with negative connotations.  

He should have called him Uncle Spermie.  Sperm juice is white.

Would Douglas have called him that if he wasn't black (or if Smith was black enough or something, as I guess Douglas sees it)? Seems unlikely.

It's a term used towards certain people of your race, and to the best of this white guy's knowledge it's exclusively used with negative connotations.  

He should have called him Uncle Spermie.  Sperm juice is white.

Not sure that it had to do with his contrast - the article said Smith refused to help him get up to the DJ stand. I think it had more to do with just throwing an insult. You know, like calling someone a T0m Shane.

Michael Smith is a f'ing jerk though. I remember first seeing him on ESPN and he was getting super hyped and overly emotional because one of the commentators didnt agree with his point of view. It got to the point where the other two commentators were looking at him funny given how serious he got. My very first thought was "wow, this dude is acting like such a b__ch a_s n___ right now". Maybe Hugh got the same vibe, difference is I dont work for ESPN so I can say what I want lol. 

you just jogged my memory banks VTF, thank you for this

I specifically remember a time where Michael Smith lost the last round on "Around the Horn" and started whining about the way Stat Boy never let him win. 

Not sure that it had to do with his contrast - the article said Smith refused to help him get up to the DJ stand. I think it had more to do with just throwing an insult. You know, like calling someone a T0m Shane.

That is a racist slur against the race of smug, pseudo-intellectual douchebags. Please don't use that term anymore.  We like to run a nice, clean message forum here.

That is a racist slur against the race of smug, pseudo-intellectual douchebags. Please don't use that term anymore. We like to run a nice, clean message forum here.

I can't even pretend to be an intellectual. Smug douchebag is accurate, however.

It is as possible for Hugh Douglass to be racist as it is for me to give myself the clap.

Ignorant and self defeating, yes. Racist? LOL

not true. first he can be racist against anyone not black. then he can also be "racist" against blacks who he may perceive as not being really black. why do people automatically associate racism with being against black people only.

He should have called him Uncle Spermie. Sperm juice is white.

Uncle Tom is used to ' personally vilify' any black person seen as acting or going completely Caucasian for personal gain or benefit. At least that's how it was taught to me.

Had he called him a coin or as Rillo stated a " house ***" ( don't cringe lol) then it would've been another story all together.

not true. first he can be racist against anyone not black. then he can also be "racist" against blacks who he may perceive as not being really black. why do people automatically associate racism with being against black people only.

The fact that the case against Paula Dean was thrown out because the judge stated a white person can't sue another white person for racial discrimination probably means you can't be racist against you own kind.

Whatever sense that makes

Archived