former Eagle, Jet and Jaguar Hugh Douglas out at ESPN after using racist term toward co-host Michael Smith

Blackout

Uncle Tom is used to ' personally vilify' any black person seen as acting or going completely Caucasian for personal gain or benefit.

No matter the definition (I'm sure it varies from person to person), the one inescapable conclusion is that it is meant to be derogatory by inferring that acting like a white person is an unseemly thing to aspire to. Granted, we don't dance well, but there are SOME good qualities to be found in us.

No matter the definition (I'm sure it varies from person to person), the one inescapable conclusion is that it is meant to be derogatory by inferring that acting like a white person is an unseemly thing to aspire to. Granted, we don't dance well, but there are SOME good qualities to be found in us.

Every black man in sports journalism should aspire to be Stephen A.

The fact that the case against Paula Dean was thrown out because the judge stated a white person can't sue another white person for racial discrimination probably means you can't be racist against you own kind.

Whatever sense that makes

Good because I hate white people. 

Uncle Tom is used to ' personally vilify' any black person seen as acting or going completely Caucasian for personal gain or benefit. At least that's how it was taught to me.

Had he called him a coin or as Rillo stated a " house ***" ( don't cringe lol) then it would've been another story all together.

Since this is always an insult directed at black people, it's race-based and derogatory.  If it was a term only used towards black people for acting "too black" I'd think it would (appropriately) be seen as racist.  On top of that, isn't Uncle Tom is as anti-white as it is anti-black, as the clear insinuation is that "acting white" is a bad thing? 

Whatever, you don't have to answer. This is a Jets football board and Hugh Douglas has always been a scumbag to boot.  This story is hardly shocking.

But besides that, very little makes me cringe.  Sanchez taking a snap from center - or seeing him wearing that f*cking headband - is more cringe-worthy and I know you agree with that.

The fact that the case against Paula Dean was thrown out because the judge stated a white person can't sue another white person for racial discrimination probably means you can't be racist against you own kind.

Whatever sense that makes

That wasn't what the judge said.  The ruling was more that she couldn't claim to have been discriminated against (by Deen) in the workplace.  Actually, if Deen had made anti-white comments (fat chance of that, it would seem), the woman would have had a discrimination case.  At least that's how I understand it.

Small victory for Deen anyway.  It would take a marketing miracle to see her get her own cooking show again.  She'll have to make do with the hundreds of millions she's already made.  I was more offended at all the circulatory problems & heart disease she's gotten rich off.

That wasn't what the judge said. The ruling was more that she couldn't claim to have been discriminated against (by Deen) in the workplace. Actually, if Deen had made anti-white comments (fat chance of that, it would seem), the woman would have had a discrimination case. At least that's how I understand it.

Small victory for Deen anyway. It would take a marketing miracle to see her get her own cooking show again. She'll have to make do with the hundreds of millions she's already made. I was more offended at all the circulatory problems & heart disease she's gotten rich off.

That's what I'm under the impression happened with it getting tossed. In that sense it was a pretty stupid lawsuit imo. That said the chick already lost a ton as she deserved to. Common sense dictates you're going to lose endorsements when you're on a nationally televised show and make it clear you think Samuel L. Jackson was the protagonist in Django Unchained and Rosa Parks is the lady on the syrup bottle you just said you want people to dress up as at your slave theme party. I have plenty of crazy sh*t I'd like to do our say that society would frown upon, I also know it's best to keep it to myself

That's what I'm under the impression happened with it getting tossed. In that sense it was a pretty stupid lawsuit imo. That said the chick already lost a ton as she deserved to. Common sense dictates you're going to lose endorsements when you're on a nationally televised show and make it clear you think Samuel L. Jackson was the protagonist in Django Unchained and Rosa Parks is the lady on the syrup bottle you just said you want people to dress up as at your slave theme party. I have plenty of crazy sh*t I'd like to do our say that society would frown upon, I also know it's best to keep it to myself

Once I heard that one I was like, ummmmmmmm that's a bit more than merely using a word 40-ish years ago because that's how everyone talked when/where you grew up & you just didn't know any better.  To be honest, I could get past that one. Someone grows up and decides the things she was taught & was around by all her friends & family, that they were wrong.  

But when I heard here "funny" idea for a southern plantation party with slave servants? Yeah, that one kinda registers on the disgusting person scale and then it's fair to look at the rest in a different context. 

Since this is always an insult directed at black people, it's race-based and derogatory.  If it was a term only used towards black people for acting "too black" I'd think it would (appropriately) be seen as racist.  On top of that, isn't Uncle Tom is as anti-white as it is anti-black, as the clear insinuation is that "acting white" is a bad thing? 

Whatever, you don't have to answer. This is a Jets football board and Hugh Douglas has always been a scumbag to boot.  This story is hardly shocking.

But besides that, very little makes me cringe.  Sanchez taking a snap from center - or seeing him wearing that f*cking headband - is more cringe-worthy and I know you agree with that.

it's not saying that acting white is bad thing because you are acting white. its really basically calling him a race traitor. if you saw django unchained he is basically calling him samuel l jacksons character. someone who has sided with th enemy and is betraying his own race of people. calling him a house *** is basically the same thing. the slaves who stayed in the houses were treated better and probably many came to act as though they were better than and even oppressed the ones who were made to work the fields. so its not really a slam against white people......its basically calling a black person out as a benedict arnold.

it's not saying that acting white is bad thing because you are acting white. its really basically calling him a race traitor. if you saw django unchained he is basically calling him samuel l jacksons character. someone who has sided with th enemy and is betraying his own race of people. calling him a house *** is basically the same thing. the slaves who stayed in the houses were treated better and probably many came to act as though they were better than and even oppressed the ones who were made to work the fields. so its not really a slam against white people......its basically calling a black person out as a benedict arnold.

What does this make Hugh Douglas? Unless he wants to get a real Job and get out of entertainment he should be used to working for old white dudes by now. Hugh Douglas just took ESPNs new WWE styled direction a bit too far cause he was drunk.

you just jogged my memory banks VTF, thank you for this

I specifically remember a time where Michael Smith lost the last round on "Around the Horn" and started whining about the way Stat Boy never let him win. 

Then this must be the norm for Smith because the show that I seen was another ESPN show. I didnt even know about the Around the Horn situation. Dude gets super hyped and emotional. He's a total tool. Im not saying Hugh should have said what he said, but I will certainly give him the benefit of the doubt based on what I've seen from Smith. 

it's not saying that acting white is bad thing because you are acting white. its really basically calling him a race traitor. if you saw django unchained he is basically calling him samuel l jacksons character. someone who has sided with th enemy and is betraying his own race of people. calling him a house *** is basically the same thing. the slaves who stayed in the houses were treated better and probably many came to act as though they were better than and even oppressed the ones who were made to work the fields. so its not really a slam against white people......its basically calling a black person out as a benedict arnold.

That is nonsense.  I doubt very much Douglas has read the book, and you should, instead of understanding the character from a Tarantino movie, as the story is quite moving and sad.  Tom doesn't do anything to the plantation slaves, let alone oppress them.  Quite the contrary.  Yeah, the notion is that he debases himself for better treatment, where the term ultimately comes from.  But in the course of the story (and it's been almost 30 years since I've read it, so I'm sloppily summarizing from the web) Tom is nice to all people, refuses to whip another slave, doesn't whip one when he has the chance, aids in 2 escapes, and keeps his trap shut about the latter escape, ultimately resulting in his own demise.  

To a racist like Douglas, he merely sees a black person not acting black enough (too white, and white is bad or is at least worse/lower than black at a minimum).  Douglas doesn't care that he himself only got the job because he was a star player in the NFL, and Smith (for all his personality deficiencies; I'm not a fan) didn't make the NFL and instead became a beat writer for the Pats & worked his way up to TV.  To Douglas, Smith doesn't talk black enough, he doesn't look black enough, and he doesn't act black enough.  All these things are bad, and that's why Douglas sees it as an insult to be flung. 

Even in your explanation, what has Smith done to the rest of his race that would constitute being a "Benedict Arnold" in the Uncle Tom sense? Acted too white to get a better job? Douglas is a racist who has a problem with white people and especially black people who, in his eyes, act too much like them or associate too much with them.  He keeps it in until, in a bout of anger or due to intoxicants (as occurs with us all from time to time), his filter disappears and he says what he really thinks.

Even in your explanation, what has Smith done to the rest of his race that would constitute being a "Benedict Arnold" in the Uncle Tom sense? Acted too white to get a better job? Douglas is a racist who has a problem with white people and especially black people who, in his eyes, act too much like them or associate too much with them. He keeps it in until, in a bout of anger or due to intoxicants (as occurs with us all from time to time), his filter disappears and he says what he really thinks.

I think you just described the plot to an episode of Law and Order I saw once.

Uncle Tom is an indirect attack at white people. Somehow inferring that getting along with white people is an abandonment of your own race.This kind of bond or die mentality is not too conducive to original thought. It implies racial boundaries need to be kept, I don't see how this line of thinking helps people progress in life. Hugh Douglass shot himself in the foot big with this, not only did he cause immediate damage to his career but he revealed his true opinion of white people. Meet the Black Riley Cooper. Why isn't this receiving that kind of treatment?

That is nonsense. I doubt very much Douglas has read the book, and you should, instead of understanding the character from a Tarantino movie, as the story is quite moving and sad. Tom doesn't do anything to the plantation slaves, let alone oppress them. Quite the contrary. Yeah, the notion is that he debases himself for better treatment, where the term ultimately comes from. But in the course of the story (and it's been almost 30 years since I've read it, so I'm sloppily summarizing from the web) Tom is nice to all people, refuses to whip another slave, doesn't whip one when he has the chance, aids in 2 escapes, and keeps his trap shut about the latter escape, ultimately resulting in his own demise.

To a racist like Douglas, he merely sees a black person not acting black enough (too white, and white is bad or is at least worse/lower than black at a minimum). Douglas doesn't care that he himself only got the job because he was a star player in the NFL, and Smith (for all his personality deficiencies; I'm not a fan) didn't make the NFL and instead became a beat writer for the Pats & worked his way up to TV. To Douglas, Smith doesn't talk black enough, he doesn't look black enough, and he doesn't act black enough. All these things are bad, and that's why Douglas sees it as an insult to be flung.

Even in your explanation, what has Smith done to the rest of his race that would constitute being a "Benedict Arnold" in the Uncle Tom sense? Acted too white to get a better job? Douglas is a racist who has a problem with white people and especially black people who, in his eyes, act too much like them or associate too much with them. He keeps it in until, in a bout of anger or due to intoxicants (as occurs with us all from time to time), his filter disappears and he says what he really thinks.

I didn't see this. Well said.

That is nonsense.  I doubt very much Douglas has read the book, and you should, instead of understanding the character from a Tarantino movie, as the story is quite moving and sad.  Tom doesn't do anything to the plantation slaves, let alone oppress them.  Quite the contrary.  Yeah, the notion is that he debases himself for better treatment, where the term ultimately comes from.  But in the course of the story (and it's been almost 30 years since I've read it, so I'm sloppily summarizing from the web) Tom is nice to all people, refuses to whip another slave, doesn't whip one when he has the chance, aids in 2 escapes, and keeps his trap shut about the latter escape, ultimately resulting in his own demise.  

To a racist like Douglas, he merely sees a black person not acting black enough (too white, and white is bad or is at least worse/lower than black at a minimum).  Douglas doesn't care that he himself only got the job because he was a star player in the NFL, and Smith (for all his personality deficiencies; I'm not a fan) didn't make the NFL and instead became a beat writer for the Pats & worked his way up to TV.  To Douglas, Smith doesn't talk black enough, he doesn't look black enough, and he doesn't act black enough.  All these things are bad, and that's why Douglas sees it as an insult to be flung. 

Even in your explanation, what has Smith done to the rest of his race that would constitute being a "Benedict Arnold" in the Uncle Tom sense? Acted too white to get a better job? Douglas is a racist who has a problem with white people and especially black people who, in his eyes, act too much like them or associate too much with them.  He keeps it in until, in a bout of anger or due to intoxicants (as occurs with us all from time to time), his filter disappears and he says what he really thinks.

i didn't say i agreed with it, only that this is what he is insinuating when he called the guy a house ***. there is no doubt in my mind that douglas is a racist. somehow black people being racist against white people is acceptable compared to white people being racist against black. maybe the fact that it doesn't bother me at all when black people are racist against white people is part of the reaosn i just sorta brush it aside. i tend to beleiev that a majority of black people really don't care all that much about white people being racist against them and that the reason they act so appalled in public forums is for some sort of personal gain and/or when it can be used to avoid persecution for questionable or even criminal behavior

post-7251-0-26831400-1376601941_thumb.jp

i didn't say i agreed with it, only that this is what he is insinuating when he called the guy a house ***. there is no doubt in my mind that douglas is a racist. somehow black people being racist against white people is acceptable compared to white people being racist against black. maybe the fact that it doesn't bother me at all when black people are racist against white people is part of the reaosn i just sorta brush it aside. i tend to beleiev that a majority of black people really don't care all that much about white people being racist against them and that the reason they act so appalled in public forums is for some sort of personal gain and/or when it can be used to avoid persecution for questionable or even criminal behavior

IBTL

Archived