Who is the best player on the NY Jets?

JustInFudge

Best player on the Jets  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best player on NY Jets?

Curious to know what you think Jets fans.  Who is the pride of the NY Jets?

Currently, I think its Cro.  The guy played as well if not better than any corner in the league last season.  He's even getting a little more physical.  No, he's not Revis.  He doesnt provide the same run support and open field tackling...but he's pretty damn close from a straight cover perspective.  He'll occasionally miss a big play (see Mike Wallace at Pitt last year) but for the most part, the guy can shut down just about anyone. 

That said, I think by seasons end, Mo Wilk will clearly be the best player on this team.  I think he steps up to elite status this season with addition of the athletic freaks that he'll be playing along side of for the first time in his career.  DeVito and Pouha were nice players for the Jets, but they arent nearly as gifted athletically as Coples, Richardson and Ellis.  We've all been saying it, they have the potential for DL super unit and Mo Wilk sets the tone.

I highly doubt any offensive players will be listed.  Maybe Mangold???  DBrick???  Solid players but I think Cro and Mo Wilk are much more valuable to the team, let alone just better overall players.  Or am I forgetting someone, like Mark Sanchez maybe?

Wilkerson.

Right now, you'd rate him over Cro?

Mo Wilk is hands down my favorite player on this team.  I was vying for him that entire offseason leading up to the draft...but I'm not sure I'm ready to rate him over Cro.  They are both extremely disruptive, in their own ways which makes them a little hard to compare.  Mo Wilk has more of an impact on the game just because he can disrupt the run and pass game...but I think Cro is just a little bit more valuable to the team at this point.  But I guess that might be a little bit different of a topic.  MVP vs. best overall player. 

I think it's Wilkerson, but I'm hopeful that it's Richardson.  In my prayers it is Geno Smith.

I just got a chance to watch the replay of the game last night.  Richardson is going to be a handful in this league.  Ridiculous athlete, who just never stops moving.  Its impressive to see him move the way he does for his size.  

Obviously, we all want this to Geno at the end of the season...I doubt it though.  

Nick Mangold is a 4x Pro Bowl 3x All Pro. hugely underrated by fans. the Jets best player IMO. Wilk is pushing for that spot. Cro just made his 2nd pro bowl last year. 

Meh, there's only 15 starting Centers for Mangold to go up against.  Compared to 32 starting corners.  Its a little easier to get there at Center.  And Cro has been competing against some greats to get that spot...Revis, Samuel, Baily, etc.  One of which played on the opposite side of him for 3 years. 

Besides, I think PB is a silly way to justify this.  Mo Wilk got robbed last season, hasnt made a PB and 2 fans just said he's the best player on the team. 

Nick Mangold is a 4x Pro Bowl 3x All Pro. hugely underrated by fans. the Jets best player IMO. Wilk is pushing for that spot. Cro just made his 2nd pro bowl last year. 

Aren't you a draft guru?  What about premium positions?  There is a reason that Mangold went so late in the first while Ferguson went so high.  Didn't you ever play on team where your sh*tty QB was better than the all state WR?  

Right now, you'd rate him over Cro?

Mo Wilk is hands down my favorite player on this team. I was vying for him that entire offseason leading up to the draft...but I'm not sure I'm ready to rate him over Cro. They are both extremely disruptive, in their own ways which makes them a little hard to compare. Mo Wilk has more of an impact on the game just because he can disrupt the run and pass game...but I think Cro is just a little bit more valuable to the team at this point. But I guess that might be a little bit different of a topic. MVP vs. best overall player.

You just made the case for me. Cromartie is a really good player at an important position. Wilkerson is a game-wrecking player at a more important position. He's also younger and cheaper. It's Wilkerson and it's not close.

You just made the case for me. Cromartie is a really good player at an important position. Wilkerson is a game-wrecking player at a more important position. He's also younger and cheaper. It's Wilkerson and it's not close.

And as we discuss it, it makes me want to change my opinion to Mo Wilk. lol

However, I do view Cro as more valuable.  I think we could last a little without Mo because of the depth on the DL, but if Cro goes down...relying on a rookie and Kyle Wilson could get ugly.

Pro Bowl might be a joke but All Pro isn't. Mangold is underrated cause the offense is anemic but on another team he'd be considered amazing. The fact that he's a center and "non premium" doesn't change his quality. Mo Wilk could be the best but he's not quite there yet. Cro's best football is behind him.  it's unfair that a 29 year old center is in his prime while a 29 year old CB is on the decline but that's the way it goes.

Pro Bowl might be a joke but All Pro isn't. Mangold is underrated cause the offense is anemic but on another team he'd be considered amazing. The fact that he's a center and "non premium" doesn't change his quality. Mo Wilk could be the best but he's not quite there yet. Cro's best football is behind him.  it's unfair that a 29 year old center is in his prime while a 29 year old CB is on the decline but that's the way it goes.

What makes you think corners age so quickly?  Darrell Green, Dion Sanders, Champ Bailey, Woodson.  These guys are around forever. 

He's hugely overrated by many Jets fans.  I rarely see him dominate his man at the LOS.  He's a good, maybe very good center, but not great imo.

My vote goes to Wilk.  Cro second.  Mangold third.  Brick doesn't even belong on the list.  He's good at pass protection but piss poor at run blocking.  It's really sad thinking about our roster.  We have some potentially very good young players in Richardson and Coples, and hopefully, Geno, Ellis, Milliner and D. Davis will join their ranks.  Other than that, this team doesn't have many topflight players.

Definitely Wilkerson.  He's on the same level as JJ Watt, the new breed of DL in the NFL today. 

That's bold....like wayyyy bold.  JJ is coming off damn near the greatest season ever for a defensive player.

Mo Wilk is great but JJ he is not. 

I just got a chance to watch the replay of the game last night.  Richardson is going to be a handful in this league.  Ridiculous athlete, who just never stops moving.  Its impressive to see him move the way he does for his size.  

Obviously, we all want this to Geno at the end of the season...I doubt it though.  

I also watched the replay last night and paid special attention to Sheldon and Ellis. I liked what I saw from both, but Sheldon will be an impactful player from game 1. He was a so close to coming up with some big plays, once the game slows down a bit for him and he understands his assignments in each of the 3 techniques he'll be playing, watch out! With Mo receiving the dbl. team and Ellis pushing the pocket I think Sheldon will wreak havoc. Most teams will be running away from Mo's side.

Plenty of opportunities for SR

I also watched the replay last night and paid special attention to Sheldon and Ellis. I liked what I saw from both, but Sheldon will be an impactful player from game 1. He was a so close to coming up with some big plays, once the game slows down a bit for him and he understands his assignments in each of the 3 techniques he'll be playing, watch out! With Mo receiving the dbl. team and Ellis pushing the pocket I think Sheldon will wreak havoc. Most teams will be running away from Mo's side.

Plenty of opportunities for SR

if you put Coples and Richardson on the same side with Coples playing OLB, that is going to be nasty. 

From '09,'10,'11 it was Mangold (disregarding Revis), last year it was Cro and currently I have to go with big Mo Wilk.  The best part about Wilk, besides being just a monster, is he hasn't even turned 24 yet.  If things work out, you can realistically have Wilk (24 in oct), Coples (23 this past june), Richardson (22, 23 in november) for four or five years all in their mid-twenties.  That's silly. 

Now that you've raised this question, I realize how bad we are. I can't think of one great player on the squad. In past years, we always had someone truly great. If we have to go with Mo Wilk, we're hurting - not saying he isn't good, but he's solid, not a game changer.  Cro? He isn't stable enough for me to say he's the best player on the Jets.  Not only don't we have a great player, I don't even have a favorite player, like I always did, whether it was Bruce Harper, Riggins, Wesley Walker, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, or someone electric that you can hope he gets his hands on fhe ball and do something. I'll be rooting for boring grinders like Powell... it's OK, I'll still be rooting, but it might become boring very quickly this year if we lose out of the gate.

Holy **** you're drinking some serious spiked kool aide

Am I?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/68301/the-all-22-all-star-team-muhammad-wilkerson-and-the-new-versatility

After just two seasons, the 2011 defensive draft class already looks historic. Some are already sending Aldon Smith, Von Miller, and J.J. Watt to Canton, and somehow, it doesn’t feel all that ridiculous. That trio leads the group, but it’s rounded out by players who are, if not era-defining mega-talents, at least stars in their own right. The Lions' Nick Fairley figures to ride a strong finish to last season into a monster 2013, the Redskins' Ryan Kerrigan deservedly went to the Pro Bowl a season ago, and the Cardinals' Patrick Peterson has already been to two. None of them, though, deserves to have his name mentioned as the best player of that second tier. That’s a distinction that belongs to Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

How is it that crazy? 

Archived