Quinton Coples Out 3-4 Weeks!

BurnleyJet

Quinton Coples Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Filed to ESPN: Quinton Coples has a hairline fracture in ankle, out 3-4 weeks, no surgery required. #Jets

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

Quinton Coples has a hairline fracture of his ankle. He will undergo a 3-4 week rehab. No surgery, I'm told #nyj

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz

Quinton Coples has a hairline fracture in his ankle. Our 3-4 weeks, per source #NYJ

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

This means the #Jets, whose defense stunk tonight, will likely be without Coples for the season opener vs. the Bucs.

Quinton Coples left the game on Saturday against the Jaguars with an undisclosed leg injury.  Several sources are now reporting that this is a hairline fracture and he will be out for a few weeks.  The good news according to these reports is that no surgery is required.

You can visit our forums for additional information on

Damn! At least its only a couple of weeks but Q needs those reps. He was caught out of position a couples times and got flushed out on some runs. He's needs more looks on the outside before he can start reading plays better. Looks like he be thinking too much right now.

Quinton Coples Out Indefinitely After Ankle Injury

Posted 51 minutes ago

By Jets Media Relations Department 

Linebacker Quinton Coples suffered an injured right ankle Saturday night in the Jets' 37-13 win over Jacksonville at MetLife Stadium. Coples will undergo a medical procedure on Tuesday. He will miss the remainder of the preseason and is out indefinitely.

Posted 51 minutes ago

Linebacker Quinton Coples suffered an injured right ankle Saturday night in the Jets' 37-13 win over Jacksonville at MetLife Stadium. Coples will undergo a medical procedure on Tuesday. He will miss the remainder of the preseason and is out indefinitely.

Awesome

Posted 51 minutes ago

sh*tty news.  Really sh*tty news.

One of the few things to look forward to this season was the growth and development of these youngsters on D. 

Hopefully he's not out for the season. 

i dont want to disparage Quinton Coples cause he is an awesome player and this is a terrible loss. but there was at least one play last night when the DL beasted and it was Douzable 78 not Coples 98. 

If there's one spot on this team that has any depth, it's the DL. I'm not counting Coples as a linebacker. Cause he's 280. 

The "medical procedure" for a fractured ankle is plate and screws, no?

Yeah, I think we should be prepared not to see him at all this year, which is great, because he's one of like 6 players on the roster actually worth watching. Oh, how I missed the taste of bile on the back of my tongue. Welcome back, Jets!

Yeah, I think we should be prepared not to see him at all this year, which is great, because he's one of like 6 players on the roster actually worth watching. Oh, how I missed the taste of bile on the back of my tongue. Welcome back, Jets!

WHY YOU

HAVE NO FAITH IN

REX?

Quinton Coples injures ankle

Updated: August 18, 2013, 9:17 PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets outside linebacker Quinton Coples could miss three to four weeks with a hairline fracture of his ankle, a league source told ESPNNewYork.com on Saturday.

On Sunday night, a Jets spokesperson confirmed that Coples injured his right ankle and will undergo a "medical procedure" on Tuesday. Coples will be out for the rest of the preseason and could miss more time.

Coples rushed Jacksonville quarterback Chad Henne with roughly five minutes left in the second quarter Saturday night, blocked a pass and appeared to fall awkwardly. He spent some time with the Jets trainers on the sidelines walking in front of the benches before heading to the locker room. He eventually left MetLife Stadium in a golf cart.

Coples had at times been struggling to set the edge after being converted from a defensive end to OLB this season. The Jets were looking for the 6-foot-6, 290-pound Coples to play a bigger and more versatile role in the defense this year, his second, after being drafted with the 16th overall pick in 2012.

Jets coach Rex Ryan has praised Coples, but he's also expressed frustration at times.

If Coples does miss time during the regular season due to the fracture, Antwan Barnes is second on the depth chart.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini was used in this report.

Gang says Coples out indefinitely

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 4:31 AM, August 19, 2013

Posted:  2:39 AM, August 19, 2013

The Jets confirmed outside linebacker Quinton Coples suffered an ankle injury in Saturday’s game with the Jaguars and announced he is out indefinitely, making it sound like the injury is worse than originally believed.

A source told The Post late Saturday that Coples had suffered a hairline fracture in the ankle and would be out 3-4 weeks, which would be the start of the regular season.

In their statement, the Jets said Coples will undergo a “medical procedure” tomorrow. It is unclear if that means surgery, which would make his timetable to return longer than that. It is possible an MRI exam revealed further damage, making the injury worse than originally thought.

Coples injured the ankle on a play in the second quarter when he was chasing down Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne. It appeared his ankle twisted awkwardly in the turf as he was chasing a ball he thought Henne fumbled. The refs ruled it was an incomplete pass.

The Jets will lean on Antwan Barnes, Ricky Sapp and Garrett McIntyre to take Coples’ place on the outside. Coples also plays inside on the line in some packages. Sheldon Richardson or Antonio Garay could fill that role.

* Running back Chris Ivory made his Jets debut Saturday night, but only saw limited time.

Ivory, who missed the first few weeks of training camp with a strained hamstring, had 13 yards rushing on six carries. The Jets eased him into things against the Jaguars, but they expect him to play a big role in their offense this year.

“He only got a few carries, but we were just trying to ... I know we all want to see the new toy we have back there, and it’s a good looking one, but we were just being smart with him,” coach Rex Ryan said. “We didn’t want to overdo it with himHe’s a big, powerful man, and we wanted to get him going a little bit.”

Ivory began practicing last week and only had a few days of work with the starting offense, so he needs some more time to get acclimated. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg walked out of the locker room with Ivory on Saturday night asking him about his comfort level.

“I wouldn’t say tricky,” Ivory told reporters when asked about getting used to the offense. “It’s just going to take reps and just getting the feel of certain plays. It’s just knowing how to read it.”

* Through the first three weeks of training camp, the two quarterbacks have similar numbers. Here are their unofficial totals (including preseason games): Mark Sanchez is 94-of-162 (58 percent) with 12 touchdowns, six interceptions and 12 sacks; Geno Smith is 77-of-133 (58 percent) with 10 touchdowns, five interceptions and 14 sacks.

brian.costello@nypost.com

* Through the first three weeks of training camp, the two quarterbacks have similar numbers. Here are their unofficial totals (including preseason games): Mark Sanchez is 94-of-162 (58 percent) with 12 touchdowns, six interceptions and 12 sacks; Geno Smith is 77-of-133 (58 percent) with 10 touchdowns, five interceptions and 14 sacks.

Yeah, I'm seeing what I want to see, but 80% of Geno's interceptions came in 1 day of training camp on a sprained ankle that kept him out of the Jacksonville game.  Prior to that, his ratio was 10:1.  

It's worse for a guy to be a little bit bad almost every day instead of generally being good almost every day and having one massively off-day.  If you judge wins and losses by QB performance, one way you've got a winner in 5 of 10 games; the other you've got a winner in 8 of 10 games.

I'd rather have 4 QB-aided wins and 1 QB-caused loss in 5 games - particularly from a rookie - than a veteran who hurts about as much as he helps.

Also one pick-6 and one TD-erasing, goal-line interception are not each worth the same as a pick thrown at mid-field (particularly like one that bounces up off Spadola's hands into the defense's hands).  The are worse.  Much worse.  So the stats don't tell stories like that.  

The stats also don't tell stories like the 11-yard Winslow catch vs Jax.  Low throw that Winslow caught.  Meanwhile Clyde Gates was open for a TD.  The stats say he completed a pass for 11 yards that led to a first down and leave out that a good QB gets a TD on the play instead.  Gates was open for two more TDs on that same drive at the goal line, and Sanchez didn't throw the ball his way on any of the 3 times. 

Gates, who surely wants to start and then thereby get a better contract for himself, must despise Sanchez right about now.  He won't say it because Sanchez is still likely to be the opening day starter and only a fool of a WR picks a fight with the starting QB.  But he could have been a star of the game and instead the stat line reads like the guy didn't even play or couldn't get open, as Sanchez excuse-makers always claim. 

let's say it's an 8-10 week recovery, which is what we've seen before for this type of injury.

(terrelll owens actually played with this injury in the super bowl after 6 weeks recovery and a hyper baric chamber)

there's 3 weeks until opening day sept 8.  that means 5-7 weeks to get it better, it's not unthinkable that he comes back at some point. 

As much as any injury sucks, particularly at this time of year, we have players waiting in the wings at OLB. I wouldn't hate to see what Barnes, Sapp and McIntyre can do with their opportunities.

Yeah, that's a good point but this injury hurts. Coples is good. Along the lines of what you said though, it seems to me that Sapp and Barnes especially could do something.  McIntyre looks like a "try hard" second stringer to me but I like him. 

I don't know. I could be totally wrong, but I don't see Coples, who is definitely very talented, as an OLB.  Maybe one of those three emerges as a starter, and Rex puts Coples back on the dline where he (imo) belongs. 

Yeah, that's a good point but this injury hurts. Coples is good. Along the lines of what you said though, it seems to me that Sapp and Barnes especially could do something.  McIntyre looks like a "try hard" second stringer to me but I like him. 

I don't know. I could be totally wrong, but I don't see Coples, who is definitely very talented, as an OLB.  Maybe one of those three emerges as a starter, and Rex puts Coples back on the dline where he (imo) belongs. 

Agree

I just don't see a 6'6" 290# guy as an OLB. 

Coples had a hard time adjusting to the NFL last season, and really didn't start contributing until late in the season.  Think it is just silly giving him a whole new position to learn.

With all the DL they have, think they should go to a 4-3 base.  Then Coples can be the edge rusher

Archived