So what's going on with the defense?

Matt39

Yikes. If last night's any indication- the Pats might score 70+ on us.

Defensive line was getting blown off the ball- Jacksonville didnt even have to pass. Devito was one of the more underrated/undervalued players for us and was an anchor. Clearly missing him last night.

No huddle took away any blitz Rex had dialed up- Milliner picked on...then again we botched things up with our best player.

We look like that in the regular season Rex doesnt make it to Halloween.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You simply cannot have Harris cover anyone....he just can't do it.  

ps.  Sanchez Sucks

he can't be out there on 3rd down.  even with 3 free runners last night they just threw the pass to the guy harris was covering for an easy 1st down

The Jets have -what?- seven new starters on defense this year? I suspect that the vast majority of the "slowness" is the result of players out there thinking rather than reacting. They're still learning. That and the fact that Rex really isn't scheming in the preseason. I'm not ready to hit the panic button on dee just yet. I'm confident that they'll get it together during the season, and be dominating by year's end.

Defensive line was getting blown off the ball- Jacksonville didnt even have to pass. Devito was one of the more underrated/undervalued players for us and was an anchor. Clearly missing him last night.

No huddle took away any blitz Rex had dialed up- Milliner picked on...then again we botched things up with our best player.

Either the Jags O-Line is the second coming of the 93 Dallas O-Line or we are in deep sh*t. If they are that good and we dont suck then Im drafting MJD 1st overall.

Gabbert looked like Joe Montana on the 1st few drives. The D looked like it did in the 4th quarter of all last years games. I dont like to overate pre-season but I was very disappointed in the team overall. 

I need to start drinking again when I watch. After 12 beers I find 8 wins in this schedue. Without the beer I struggle to find 4.

The Jets have -what?- seven new starters on defense this year? I suspect that the vast majority of the "slowness" is the result of players out there thinking rather than reacting. They're still learning. That and the fact that Rex really isn't scheming in the preseason. I'm not ready to hit the panic button on dee just yet. I'm confident that they'll get it together during the season, and be dominating by year's end.

I think the slowness is a result of them being slow

blaine gabbert with a new offense kicked rex ryans ass up and down the field

I dont get how this defense plays so sh!!ty and yet Rex gets credit for being a defensive mastermind.

Perfect case of reputation not squaring up with reality.

This could be a 3 win team with Snachez giving 6 the other way each week and this defense getting gassed by half time.

Meh, probably overreacting to a preseason game.  Yes, they were a step behind all night but I'm not too concerned, they'll be fine.

FWIW, the Jags actually looked like they came out with a game plan to counteract the athleticism of the front 7.  Lots of misdirections, traps, roll outs, quick hits, get the ball out fast, hurry up type sh*t.  They were trying to catch the Jets off guard.  It worked, obviously.

At the end of the day, Gabbert was completing a high % but it was at 5.7 a pop, the run game was average 3.2 a pop, they put up 13pts.  Not the end of the world.  San Fran gave up 10 to Alex Smith in the 1st quarter.  You cant put too much into this sh*t.

The Jets are leaning on a lot of guys who are inexperienced, it might take a few games to click. 

I don't think you can say it was a vanilla PS game

the jets got 3 free runners on a 3rd down play.....and gabbert just threw it to the open TE harris was covering.  I actually think I am faster than harris.  he's that bad

the only good to come out of it is the jets (lets hope) are going to be ready for every team to run hurry up on them

Rex can 'scheme' all he wants, the Jets should be playing a 4-3 with all the d-linemen they have drafted. 'Can't wait' for Rex's firing. It's the only way out of this mess. You can say Rex isn't scheming, but the Jets don't tackle and that has nothing to do with schemes.

No huddle plays have always been the nightmare for Rex's D.It has been there the past seasons and was displayed last night too.Wondering why a D guru like Rex,has no answers for that.Many around the league are adapting to that tempo of play.Harris looked so old and slow.That tackling by Cro was atrocious,he could have stopped the guy for a loss,but did not.All said,it was a miserable night for the starting D.

Sanchez's run of failures in the red zone is baffling.He becomes a nervous wreck and totally misreads and misses open players.He had a chance to redeem himself yesterday,but let go a great opportunity.But the pleasant surprise has been the time he is given by the OLine. Only if the WRs could get open and available,our Offense would be great.

They should absolutely be playing a 4-3. Coples is not a LB.

Harris should not be on the field on 3rd down, unless it is short yardage. Unfortunately, they will probably see a lot of no huddle this year.

Pace is entering his "one year too many" season.

Milliner looks like he has ability - I like the way he closes on the ball. Problem is he has too much ground to cover as they have him playing too far off.

Wilson is still JAG, Revis will not only be sorely missed for shutting down the opposing top receiver, his tackling from the corner will be sorely missed.

Safties are too slow.

Westoff said something interesting on the radio last night. He said that no gameplanning goes into the first and second preseason game. This week against the Giants there will be a gameplan installed. We can start seeing how we look then. The defense did look pretty vanilla. Base package, basic overload blitzes and dis and dat guy coverage. 

Hopefully, you're using some hyperbole for dramatic effect.  I don't think things were quite that bad.  Admittedly, I was surprised and disappointed in how poorly the defense showed last night, but I think there were a number of legitimate reasons for the poor showing.

I think they were:

1. The Jets were playing plain vanilla schemes.  There was nothing fancy, no disguised blitzes or probably even any disguised coverages.

2.  Ellis didn't play.  That can account for the DL getting pushed back off the LOS (I hope).

3.  They were facing the no-huddle for the first time.  That's tough on any defense.

4.  I doubt the Jets put much, if any, specific game plans for Jacksonville. 

5.  Richardson and Milliner are rookies, and for all intents and purposes, so is Demario Davis.  They are gonna have up and down days and make mistakes.

6.  The safety tandem is new and it was the first time Jarrett and Landry had played together in a game.

7.  It's still preseason and those games are always sloppy.  With so many new starters, lots of them are thinking too much which affects their playing speed.  Harris just slow and why I'm not a fan.  The safeties are slow as well.  That will be a problem.

There are probably some other factors that I didn't think of.

The second team D was much better vs Jacksonville's 2nd team offense.  That was somewhat encouraging.

That said, the Jets definitely need to tighten things up, especially with regard to tackling.  Coples definitely needs to step up his play, as does Davis.  

We didn't botch anything with Revis.  Please, that's absurd.  It was his sheer unmitigated greed that caused him to leave, nothing else.

That infuriates me. EVERYBODY IS INTEGRATING NEW STARTERS. That is an UTTER CRAP EXCUSE. And besides this defense is loaded with draft picks and talent, and many of you never cease telling us what a defensive genius Rex Ryan is. But doesn't matter how many draft picks you give him up front, NONE of these guys ever get near the QB. 

That infuriates me. EVERYBODY IS INTEGRATING NEW STARTERS. That is an UTTER CRAP EXCUSE. And besides this defense is loaded with draft picks and talent, and many of you never cease telling us what a defensive genius Rex Ryan is. But doesn't matter how many draft picks you give him up front, NONE of these guys ever get near the QB.

They gave up 13 points in their second preseason game. Let's get all up in arms!

They gave up 13 points in their second preseason game. Let's get all up in arms!

The offense sucking means the succeed the defense has to be great. Don't see it happening again because despite resources being devoted to that side of the ball and our genius coach raving  being 8th against the pass or some such crap Rex wants a trophy for, they do not get to the QB. 

Last night was rather alarming. In the five years since Rex has been here, including preseason...that was probably the biggest ass kicking ive seen an offense put on one of his defenses. And that's inlcuding the Patriot games. Couldnt tackle, couldnt get off the field on thrid down, couldnt stop the run on obvious run downs. Looked sh*tty, and that's without taking into account it was Blaine Gabbert- the only guy in the league who might be worse than Sanchez. If the defense is anything less than good this year, this is a 4 win team and Rex is gone by Halloween.

Last night was rather alarming. In the five years since Rex has been here, including preseason...that was probably the biggest ass kicking ive seen an offense put on one of his defenses. And that's inlcuding the Patriot games. Couldnt tackle, couldnt get off the field on thrid down, couldnt stop the run on obvious run downs. Looked sh*tty, and that's without taking into account it was Blaine Gabbert- the only guy in the league who might be worse than Sanchez. If the defense is anything less than good this year, this is a 4 win team and Rex is gone by Halloween.

I doubt that.  Coaches don't get fired in the middle of the year that often.

Archived