Holmes Close to Returning?

whodeawhodat

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Santonio Holmes' return to the practice field may not be that far away.

"Hopefully, we're getting close," GM John Idzik said Monday morning in an interview on WFAN radio.

This was by far the most optimistic comment on a possible return from any member of the Jets' organization, which has been guarded in his comments on Holmes' rehab. Idzik confirmed what was apparent to anyone who watched the pre-game warmups Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Holmes is running at full speed and cutting, showing "functional movement," as Idzik described it. Holmes also is running on grass, according to Idzik.

Holmes is on the physical-unable-to-perform list and hasn't provided any specific timetable with regard to his return. The trainers told Holmes he's week-to-week, according to the veteran wide receiver.

Holmes underwent surgery last October to repair a serious LisFranc injury in his foot. He had a follow-up procedure in February to remove surgical screws from his foot. Less than two weeks ago, Holmes told reporters, "Right now, I can't run" -- an ominous remark that fueled speculation he wouldn't be ready for the season opener. That remains a question, but he apparently is close to getting back on the practice field.

A listfrank injury I believe is a 6-8 month recovery. Holmes simply did not want to participate in training camp so not risk injury

Didn't Jones-Drew, who played against us Saturday, have the same injury as Holmes, just about the same time last year?

Guess they just healed at a different rate.  Just like beating up on Holmes.  McKnight is falling into the same category 

Didn't Jones-Drew, who played against us Saturday, have the same injury as Holmes, just about the same time last year?

Guess they just healed at a different rate.  Just like beating up on Holmes.  McKnight is falling into the same category 

I guess there are different grades to this type of injury and Holmes had the worse type.  Not sure about Jones Drew but everyone heals at their own rate.  If we have this guy starting week 1 I wont give 2 sheets if he missed all of TC or offseason workouts. I was very happy to read the article, very happy.

I guess there are different grades to this type of injury and Holmes had the worse type.  Not sure about Jones Drew but everyone heals at their own rate.  If we have this guy starting week 1 I wont give 2 sheets if he missed all of TC or offseason workouts. I was very happy to read the article, very happy.

OH I agree.  Just beating Holmes up because I don't like him.   He comes in week 1 and makes 6+ catches for 100+ yards, I'll like him again

bear nailed it.  

He's fine, just didn't want to participate in training camp.  

I brought this up a while ago: I wouldn't be surprised if players on the injury list are immune to drug testing (they are probably taking pain medication anyway). That being said, would it surprise anybody if Holmes has(had) been smoking the ganja, "milking" his injury and waiting for his system to clean out before making a "miraculous" comeback?

Archived