Jets | Expected to sign Jason Smith

FoxJet

Kind of surprised by this move.  Looks like the Jets are the only team that thinks this guy can play.  He's a solid jumbo package guy, but I don't know how I'd feel if he had to start on the OL.

Kind of surprised by this move.  Looks like the Jets are the only team that thinks this guy can play.  He's a solid jumbo package guy, but I don't know how I'd feel if he had to start on the OL.

I'm sure they have absolutely no intentions of him starting, but he did fine in the role they had for them last year and its rather apparent that the Jets don't have much depth at OT at this point.  While they have some options at the interior positions, Aboushi clearly isn't ready and they don't have much else at OT after Brick and Howard.  I agree if he has to play for any extended period of time it'll be a disaster, but the same holds true for every other backup OT on the roster.  Sad to say, until one of these young guys develops he's probably the best option the Jets have at OT.

Aboushi will probably be fine.  They're going to want to keep more than one backup OT on the roster and there's no reason anyone else at the position would make it over him.  Granted, he'll probably be inactive every game, but that's the whole reason for the Smith signing, so they can do that.  They knew he was going to be a bit of a project when they drafted him, so no reason to think they'd move on so quickly.

At least he is familiarity with the players and system hopefully. Lack of depth on the offensive line is a concern

I think they'll be fine at the interior line as with Winters, Vlad (yeah, I know), and Peterman's ability to slide around, they've got some options there that I'm sure they could make do with.  OT is a whole other story.

I'm sure they have absolutely no intentions of him starting, but he did fine in the role they had for them last year and its rather apparent that the Jets don't have much depth at OT at this point.  While they have some options at the interior positions, Aboushi clearly isn't ready and they don't have much else at OT after Brick and Howard.  I agree if he has to play for any extended period of time it'll be a disaster, but the same holds true for every other backup OT on the roster.  Sad to say, until one of these young guys develops he's probably the best option the Jets have at OT.

Yep.  I'm sure that's why they signed him.  The fact that they don't have a real blocking TE also probably factored into the decision.

Familiar with the system?  God I hope not.  Mornhinweg's system had better be as far from Sparano's as possible.  Familiar with the players maybe, but Vlad is the only G from last year still on the team.  I don't think he is as bad as most.  Bust yes, but his major problem was having a bunch of concussions.  Getting through a year without that has to be good.  Not sticking with the Saints doesn't seem so hot, but he is rare athlete and will be CHEAP. 

Familiar with the system?  God I hope not.  Mornhinweg's system had better be as far from Sparano's as possible.  Familiar with the players maybe, but Vlad is the only G from last year still on the team.  I don't think he is as bad as most.  Bust yes, but his major problem was having a bunch of concussions.  Getting through a year without that has to be good.  Not sticking with the Saints doesn't seem so hot, but he is rare athlete and will be CHEAP. 

I think it's less a matter of his familiarity with the team than it is the team's familiarity with him.  There are still a few of the same faces around, most notably Devlin who worked with him last year and is now the OL coach.  Combine that with Rex, a few other coaches, and some of the same folks still in the pro personnel department and there's enough guys around the team who know the guy and apparently weren't too displeased with him.

Archived