Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

Simms can throw into tight coverage in this league. He has MM designing plays to adjust to his weaknesses, and David Lee working on his mechanics. I'm not sure what his supporting cast looked like at Tennessee. But I would imagine his present CS is much much better.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are not multiple ways to have open competitions. Didn't you learn this in cheerleading?

Not related to this post, but....

I don't know much about Phil Simms, and being in touch with reality, or not, I know he got accused of trying to fight D Howard for commenting about one of his sons being horrible at QB, I think it was because Phil whether right, or wrong didn't like the words used to from the way I see it "insult his child disrespectfully instead of fair respectful criticism" I could be wrong.

That being said I wonder if Rex would call Phil, and ask him off the record if Phil thought Matt is mentally, and physically capable to start in the NFL RIGHT NOW, not eventually, but RIGHT NOW, and if he did would Phil be able to give a non biased answer while honestly judging his son's current abilities, I mean not many should know more about what makes this kid tick then Phil, some parents can't step outside the box, and fairly analyze their own children even when it's something they specialize in, but some can I don't think it would kill Rex to at least make the effort to reach out to Phil, and see what he thinks, who knows maybe he will tell Rex the truth, and that truth might be, Rex I think Matt has a bright future in this league, but right now he just isn't completely ready, and then go on to say what it is, and how long he thinks these things are/will take to get Matt ready, again I think it's worth exploring from Rex's position.

there is only one way to have an open competition between Sanchez and Smith that Simms, until last night, had nothing to do with. but yeah, keep pretending you don't get it.

Wierd, Idzik was quoted as saying Simms and McElroy were in the competition too. 

Were you a backspotter or a base?

Unless you were at TC every day, the ONLY things your eyes can report on are the preseason games. We have to take Rex's, Mornhinweg's and Lee's comments as factual since they were actually asked by the beat writers.

Simms did look better in the preseason games, but again, it was against many guys who won't even be on a PS of their team this year.  Geno was playing against starters and backups.  Big difference.

beat writers twitter accounts that were posted here.almost all were about mark and geno.if I remember correctly,the tweets about geno were a mixed bag of good and bad and towards the end of camp,mostly bad.mark had clearly beaten gino in the completion.getting beaten soundly by the worst qb in the nfl isn't a ringing endorsement.and no. you cannot take anything the coaches have to say.for 4 years we have been hearing about sanchez and his great weeks of practice,only to watch captain turnover lose another game.i trust my eyes

Not related to this post, but....

I don't know much about Phil Simms, and being in touch with reality, or not, I know he got accused of trying to fight D Howard for commenting about one of his sons being horrible at QB, I think it was because Phil whether right, or wrong didn't like the words used to from the way I see it "insult his child disrespectfully instead of fair respectful criticism" I could be wrong.

That being said I wonder if Rex would call Phil, and ask him off the record if Phil thought Matt is mentally, and physically capable to start in the NFL RIGHT NOW, not eventually, but RIGHT NOW, and if he did would Phil be able to give a non biased answer while honestly judging his son's current abilities, I mean not many should know more about what makes this kid tick then Phil, some parents can't step outside the box, and fairly analyze their own children even when it's something they specialize in, but some can I don't think it would kill Rex to at least make the effort to reach out to Phil, and see what he thinks, who knows maybe he will tell Rex the truth, and that truth might be, Rex I think Matt has a bright future in this league, but right now he just isn't completely ready, and then go on to say what it is, and how long he thinks these things are/will take to get Matt ready, again I think it's worth exploring from Rex's position.

That is a really good question. I would think it could be used as information to help with the decision. Like you said though, some parents can see their kids for what they are and some can't. Still though, if I were Rex, I would be interested in hearing from him.

Wierd, Idzik was quoted as saying Simms and McElroy were in the competition too.

Were you a backspotter or a base?

you know more about cheerleading than I do. but keep it up, your anti-Idzik learning disability is showing.

Drugs are delicious.

I'd argue the Simms nut huggers are the ones on drugs. Cause you guys are serious. My post was complete rhetoric. Guess you didn't get it.

If it were up to you, Bell and Simms would be starting week one.

Pass it to the left homie and don't polly. 

I'd argue the Simms nut huggers are the ones on drugs. Cause you guys are serious. My post was complete rhetoric. Guess you didn't get it.

If it were up to you, Bell and Simms would be starting week one.

Pass it to the left homie and don't polly. 

simms nut huggers- simms played 5x better than smith in the preseason.the jets are screwed at qb.why not start simms because smith DEFINETELY isn't ready for nfl action.

smith nut huggers- theres no way you start simms.he is a 3rd stringer.we don't care how much better he played than smith.we don't care that smith is horrible.we don't care if starting smith too early can hinder his development.we just don't care because we think we are smarter than you.you don't draft a guy in the second round and don't start him.who cares if he sucks.HE COST US A SECOND ROUNDER!!!! HE MUST START AND ANYONE THAT SUGGEST THAT SIMMS GETS THE START JUST DOESNT KNOW FOOTBALL AND IS DUMB!!

the truth is the jets have a washed up never has been as a starting qb which is injured.and they have 3 developemental qb's in which 1 is injured.so you have to choose between 2 qb's that really shouldn't be starting.1 played hiss ass off during the pre season games and 1 was underwhelming to say the least.who do you pick??

Simms beat 3rd teamers. So what? He put up strong performances. Stronger than we've EVER seen from sanchez. The only point here is, kid deserves a shot. Don't let him wind up on someone elses roster to develop. 

Couldn't agree more - and although the 3rd string is appreciably different than the starters they are not all going to be cut and are, at least as I type this, on an NFL roster and among the best football players on the planet. 

We don't know how he'll do against a starting NFL defense, but I don't think there's too many people that believe potentially throwing away one game in the season of the 2013 New York Jets to test out a hypothesis would be a criminal occurrence. And that would be the worst case outcome of letting Matt Simms visit Revis Island.

lol good try with your apples and oranges. Matt Simms is not Kurt Warner. but keep at it.

Recall there was in fact a time when Kurt Warner was bagging groceries instead of HoFer KURT WARNER. He got a chance because Trent Green got hurt. Not sure injured Sanchez or Smith is even as good as Trent Green but they are both right now hurt to varying degrees. .And that includes the chance to possibly fail.  If a team as badly run as the Jets have been under Wrecks cannot give Simms a shot in a season almost everyone believes is a throwaway one anyway, tough tithes on them. And in that case I hope someone signs Simms away and does give him the shot he's earned here. "Open competition" doesn't mean anything to these people. One more black eye for this franchise. 

Don L And Michael K arent even mentioning him and like stephen a calling everyone who says start simms crazy. typical media. give the guy ONE GAME against the 1s....

Your last sentence is the BIG elephant inside 1 Flohram Park right now, I would venture to say Rex, Idzik, MM, and Lee would have given M Simms a look in the 2nd, and 3rd preseason game against the 1's if they could do it all over again knowing how impressive he looked against 3's in live game action.

Until he gets that chance nobody can offer up anything to say he should, or shouldn't start. Both arguments are based on speculative info, but the start Simms camp can't be proven right, or wrong until he fails, or succeeds with the starters, against starters!

Your last sentence is the BIG elephant inside 1 Flohram Park right now, I would venture to say Rex, Idzik, MM, and Lee would have given M Simms a look in the 2nd, and 3rd preseason game against the 1's if they could do it all over again knowing how impressive he looked against 3's in live game action.

Until he gets that chance nobody can offer up anything to say he should, or shouldn't start. Both arguments are based on speculative info, but the start Simms camp can't be proven right, or wrong until he fails, or succeeds with the starters, against starters!

Either way though you were still looking at a guy who, when he wanted to put the ball a certain place and had the time to do so, then he was able to do so. Sanchez has had many opportunities in this pre-season alone to do that and he usually doesn't. I don't think that has much to do with 3's vs. 1's. It's not as if Simms was getting 10 seconds to throw the ball.

Someone educate me on the case for not starting Simms if Mark is hurt? Lots of "don't do it's" but just explain why please.

Cause Simms was a nobody, and Geno is the "should have gone in the first, who we drafted in the 2nd.. future". He is the prophet deemed so by the media. Thats it.

Either way though you were still looking at a guy who, when he wanted to put the ball a certain place and had the time to do so, then he was able to do so. Sanchez has had many opportunities in this pre-season alone to do that and he usually doesn't. I don't think that has much to do with 3's vs. 1's. It's not as if Simms was getting 10 seconds to throw the ball.

you don't have to sell me, I am in the start Simms camp, but I'm not going to argue with the non start Simms camp for the reasons I stated in my post.

Archived