Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it that you "start Geno" guys also wanted to cut Danny Woodhead because it was just 3rd stringers he beasted against? Bell was steady last night - but not spectacular. He deserves the #3 RB roll for running hard and hitting the hole. 

Lol.

Way to stay on topic. Mark Sanchez had more rushing yards during the regular season than Danny Woodhead following his 'great' preseason performances for the Jets in 2009. Do you really think bringing that up supports your position? 

Lol.

Way to stay on topic. Mark Sanchez had more rushing yards during the regular season than Danny Woodhead following his 'great' preseason performances for the Jets in 2009. Do you really think bringing that up supports your position? 

With how many opportunities? He looked pretty good to me once he got a chance to play with the Pats.

If your point is that because its 3rd stringers it won;t translate, I'm saying that sometimes it does. Sanchez and Geno played with the same offense and against the same caliber of defense and didn't do nearly as well. Ratliff performed poorly once he was against starters, but some guy named Romo did pretty well. Kurt Warner lead NFL Europe in passing. I guess you would have told me that was just NFL Europe? How do you think guys get the right to be promoted? Should no one ever get promoted?

With how many opportunities? He looked pretty good to me once he got a chance to play with the Pats.

If your point is that because its 3rd stringers it won;t translate, I'm saying that sometimes it does. Sanchez and Geno played with the same offense and against the same caliber of defense and didn't do nearly as well. Ratliff performed poorly once he was against starters, but some guy named Romo did pretty well. Kurt Warner lead the arena league in passing. I guess you would have told me that was just the arena league? How do you think guys get the right to be promoted? Should no one ever get promoted?

I liked Woodhead as much as the next guy. That doesn't mean he proved he was the best RB on either the Jets or the Patriots, because he never was. Just like Simms didn't prove he was the best QB on the Jets last night. As much as he impressed me with his performance, a lot of you guys aren't seeing the forest through the trees right now if you think he is the best QB on the roster.

I liked Woodhead as much as the next guy. That doesn't mean he proved he was the best RB on either the Jets or the Patriots, because he never was. Just like Simms didn't prove he was the best QB on the Jets last night. As much as he impressed me with his performance, a lot of you guys aren't seeing the forest through the trees right now if you think he is the best QB on the roster.

When does a player earn a promotion? The guy completed 75% of his passes and had 8 dropped on him. What has Smith done to make you feel he would be the better choice to start?

When does a player earn a promotion? The guy completed 75% of his passes and had 8 dropped on him. What has Smith done to make you feel he would be the better choice to start?

Ok, so now you're changing up your position to "he earned a promotion" from "he should start". We're making progress. 

Always fun to try and hit a moving target.

Ok, so now you're changing up your position to "he earned a promotion" from "he should start". We're making progress. 

Always fun to try and hit a moving target.

A promotion would be a week one start. Sanchez is hurt. Do you even follow he Jets?

sanchez is the best qb on the roster.however,he is injured and wont be behind the center next week. McElroy is also injured. that leaves smith,whos ankle is not 100%,and lets be honest here,is nowhere near ready to start an nfl game. and simms,who also,might not be ready to start a real nfl game, but has shown,to me at least,a helluva lot more than geno has so far.somebody has to line up under center next week

Smith and Simms are in their early-to-mid 20's.  If they played baseball they'd be in the minor leagues. 

Baseball has minor leagues because hitting is complicated and takes time to learn, and learning to control your pitches takes time to learn.  So does playing QB.

In the minor leagues, the top prospect at age 21 very frequently gets surpassed by supposedly lesser prospects by age 22 or 23.  Smith is almost 23, Simms is almost 25.  Smith was ahead of Simms at age 22 and 23, Simms is ahead of Smith at age 24.  Couple that with the fact that Simms had early training and genetic inheritiance from his father, (although Smith has world-class athletes in his extended family also), and it is not surprising that the lesser prospect, at least for now, is ahead of last year's promising youngster.

Start Simms.

Brett. Ratliff.

Let's see him do it against non-UPS drivers.

if the pass rushers on the eagles where ups drivers, then the jets o-lineman last night should be unemployed.simms ran for his life all night.dont remember Ratliff having that much pressure.simms completed 75% of his passes,with 8 drops,with massive pressure.yes,playing against back ups,but remember, he was also playing WITH back ups as well.i came away much more impressed with simms,than I ever was with ratliff

don't you know? his amazing performance vs. the third string means he should start Week 1.

Aside from sarcasm, do you have any supporting argument as to why he shouldn't. For example would you happen to have another player in mind that seems more prepared and talented than Simms. Or any other developed argument would also be welcomed. Just wondering because in my opinion, our quarterback situation is absolute garbage and I was wondering what the risk was in playing him

Thanks

You know, I think they should start Simms in the first two games.  Geno's not ready, and I think he may have been pressing too hard to win the spot just like some hitters get in a slump, start pressing, and the manager has to give them a few games off to help them relax.  Let Simms start.  If Simms does well, great.  They can keep playing him and give Geno time to develop more slowly (if at all).  Sanchez can take a seat.

If Simms falls flat on his face (as he probably would), it would be a splash of cold water (reality) in the faces of all the Jets fans who are dreaming of the playoffs, of the Super Bowl, of keeping Rex as HC, and/or a Cinderella story.  By the time the 3rd game rolls around, hopefully Smith would be ready enough to play so that we still don't have to see Sanchez on the field.  If not, they could start Sanchez until they were ready to give Geno a shot.

I think it would be a win-win.  They'd appease the fans who hate Sanchez, they'd appease the fans who are dreaming of a miraculous season, they'd give Geno more time, and if by some miracle, Simms is the real deal, they'd have found their QB of the future.

You know, I think they should start Simms in the first two games.  Geno's not ready, and I think he may have been pressing too hard to win the spot just like some hitters get in a slump, start pressing, and the manager has to give them a few games off to help them relax.  Let Simms start.  If Simms does well, great.  They can keep playing him and give Geno time to develop more slowly (if at all).  Sanchez can take a seat.

If Simms falls flat on his face (as he probably would), it would be a splash of cold water (reality) in the faces of all the Jets fans who are dreaming of the playoffs, of the Super Bowl, of keeping Rex as HC, and/or a Cinderella story.  By the time the 3rd game rolls around, hopefully Smith would be ready enough to play so that we still don't have to see Sanchez on the field.  If not, they could start Sanchez until they were ready to give Geno a shot.

I think it would be a win-win.  They'd appease the fans who hate Sanchez, they'd appease the fans who are dreaming of a miraculous season, they'd give Geno more time, and if by some miracle, Simms is the real deal, they'd have found their QB of the future.

Bingo, play the mother****er, and either win, or shutup the mob. Either way management comes out ahead.

don't you know? his amazing performance vs. the third string means he should start Week 1.

there are only 2 healthy qb's on the roster.somebody has to start next week.please tell me what shred of evidence is out there that smith is better than simms? anyone with 1 eyesocket can see that smith has been horrible and is the exact definition of a qb that needs to ride the pine and learn.smith might be the future of the team,but starting him week 1 and having him play terrible is not beneficial to his development,especially when week 2 or 3 rolls around and they sit smith anyway to start sanchez

Aside from sarcasm, do you have any supporting argument as to why he shouldn't. For example would you happen to have another player in mind that seems more prepared and talented than Simms. Or any other developed argument would also be welcomed. Just wondering because in my opinion, our quarterback situation is absolute garbage and I was wondering what the risk was in playing him

Thanks

oh, by all means, play him. we're f*cked. but I don't want to hear the endless whining and cries of "he sucks!" when it turns out he's not ready either.

I take it all you "start Simms now" guys also think Khalil Bell won the starting RB job last night and should start ahead of Ivory and Powell? Ya know, since he performed better than both of them and scored a lot more than any RB we have. It's only logical.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yeah because Geno did so well against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  The brief moment he played.   At this point,  Geno barely played a couple of quarters and he looked awful.

Does anybody think Simms will be the future starting QB?  Probably not.  You never know, but it's highly unlikely.  But at this point,  what has Smith done to warrant deserving the defacto #1 spot.  It's not like they took him as some top 5 pick.   Like it or not you are stuck at that point.   But Geno dropped for a reason and he's like any other 2nd round pick.   The problem is he's had way more hype and press than most 2nd round picks.   Hell last years Super Bowl loser, Kapernick, was a guy most people had no clue about and he was in his second season.    So there is a problem in that Smith is way hyped, he's a Jet, and so you get thrown into this mess.

At the end of the day, starting Simms until Sanchez is healthy enough to play and letting Smith wait around till he's ready shouldn't be an issue.  The reality is if you start Smith and he stinks the field up and they wind up going with Sanchez after week 4 or 5,  what does that actually say about Smith and his future?

Of course, if by some wild hair in Rex's butt he did opt to start Simms (and Idzik didn't overrule him) the media would have a field day ripping the entire Jets organization. If Idzik was to allow Rex to start Simms and Simms failed miserably, it would be the final nail in Rex's HC coffin with the Jets and maybe with any team for the foreseeable future.

If they start Simms and it works, of course, they'd look like geniuses.  A true feast or famine situation.  Genius or moron.

oh, by all means, play him. we're f*cked. but I don't want to hear the endless whining and cries of "he sucks!" when it turns out he's not ready either.

Who should start week 1? The guy who couldnt manage a roll out without twisting his ankle?

Did anyone seem to look better to you, this preseason? Maybe he's not "The Future". But I ask you again, who's better right now and what scenario, in your opinion, would give us the proverbial "Best Chance to Win" ?

Jesus. When it was Sanchez who might be starting in place of Smith, it was all "play Smith anyway and let him learn!" now, Smith sucks and Simms should start, and learning on the job isn't an option. Start Smith. We're not winning and Smith is supposed to be "the future." Find out what you've got.

Archived