Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

If Smith starts, the whole stadium will be chanting Simms name by halftime. That should do wonders for his confidence.

I don't think it would faze his confidence at all.  Unless he's delusional, he knows that he's not ready.  He knows better than anyone what he still doesn't know and what he's struggling with.  Those things are hampering his confidence a million times more than it would for fans to clamor for Simms.  It might hurt his pride, but Simms has had a great preseason and Geno has struggled.  He's not blind or stupid.  He also knows how frustrated Jets fans are with Sanchez and the poor QBing and offense they've had over most of the last 15-20 years.

Seriously, confidence doesn't come from outside of one's self and what others say or do.  True self confidence comes from within.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it would faze his confidence at all.  Unless he's delusional, he knows that he's not ready.  He knows better than anyone what he still doesn't know and what he's struggling with.  Those things are hampering his confidence a million times more than it would for fans to clamor for Simms.  It might hurt his pride, but Simms has had a great preseason and Geno has struggled.  He's not blind or stupid.  He also knows how frustrated Jets fans are with Sanchez and the poor QBing and offense they've had over most of the last 15-20 years.

Seriously, confidence doesn't come from outside of one's self and what others say or do.  True self confidence comes from within.

Confidence can be rattled and built up. Its how you feel about yourself from within - but outside things can influence your perception of yourself.

That's because their top 2 QBs are injured and they just brought in Leinart.  Leinart doesn't know the offense and he sucks.  Tuel at least has been there, knows the offense and has some timing with the receivers, plus I'm sure that no matter how bad he is, he's still better than Leinart.

The two situations aren't even remotely the same, so don't go there.  

didn't go there.just happened to see it roll across my tv screen and thought it was interesting.actually,nfl history

If you tell me that Simms got his mechanics from David Lee and Marty Morninweg, than yes I will.

I haven't paid that much attention to this discussion, so don't have a dog in the fight about Simms mechanics.  That said...

I haven't ever seen Simms play before so I have no idea what his mechanics were either pre- or post-Lee/Mornhinweg, but it's obvious something dramatic has happened to him this season.  Even fans that are believing in him now have spoken of how inaccurate and awful he has been for years.  Now all of a sudden the light goes on and he's accurate and great?  His dad was advising and working with him all these years.  Lee and Mornhinweg just a few months.  I don't believe in coincidences.  They've obviously said or done something to help that kid put it all together mentally if nothing else. 

Now it's only an open competition if the Jets tell you it is? lol ok, I didnt know thats how open competitions work.

Come on, guy.  Be serious.  Since they're the ones who make the decision and who set out the guidelines, yes, that's exactly how it is.  It's ridiculous and totally farcical to think that you or the fans determine who the competition is between and who should be the winner.  You need to step back and take a deep breath.  You've gone off the deep end, my friend.

What happened to the ilk that wanted Geno to sit behind Mark, let him take his lumps during the "hard" part of the season, then have Geno come in????

Let Simms start. Let him take his lumps. Spare Geno's fragility. Oh yeah, Simms arm talent gives us the best chance to win.

Confidence can be rattled and built up. Its how you feel about yourself from within - but outside things can influence your perception of yourself.

"Can" is the operative word.  Outside factors can influence perception only if you allow them to, only if you don't really believe in yourself and your talents to begin with.  One has to have self-doubt in order to allow those outside factors to alter perception.  I've known tons of people in various walks of life who at least seemed as if they had a rock solid confidence in themselves and their abilities, and often times there was reason they should have had doubts, but never even showed a hint of any doubt.

I know from my own personal experience of pursuing an opera career.  In order to succeed in the music business or any profession, you have to have an unshakable belief or confidence in your talent, intelligence and abilities.  You have to believe that you have what it takes to the point it's what you "know" not what you "think."  You don't have the luxury of allowing any self-doubt or negative thoughts.  One can be realistic that there are things that one needs to work on, but it's a matter of focusing on one's strengths and overall abilities, not weaknesses.

agreed, Simms will never make it through waivers.  McElroy might though.  The player with the best chance of winning the game should start. Simple principle.  To date, the Jets coaches have acted that in the absence of Sanchez, Smith is that player.  That's the reason he received all of the snaps with the first team in practice along with Sanchez.  If that changes, they should start Simms.  Why not stick with the plan at this point though?  Smith has been taking the reps.  Prep Simms for the back up role.  Give Smith a game to see what he can do.  If he sucks, Simms starts.  It's not the end of the world, and it actually spares Simms some pressure of taking the big stage in game one.

Didn't Brett Ratliff have the best statistics and/or QBR in his great preseason too?

"Can" is the operative word.  Outside factors can influence perception only if you allow them to, only if you don't really believe in yourself and your talents to begin with.  One has to have self-doubt in order to allow those outside factors to alter perception.  I've known tons of people in various walks of life who at least seemed as if they had a rock solid confidence in themselves and their abilities, and often times there was reason they should have had doubts, but never even showed a hint of any doubt.

I know from my own personal experience of pursuing an opera career.  In order to succeed in the music business or any profession, you have to have an unshakable belief or confidence in your talent, intelligence and abilities.  You have to believe that you have what it takes to the point it's what you "know" not what you "think."  You don't have the luxury of allowing any self-doubt or negative thoughts.  One can be realistic that there are things that one needs to work on, but it's a matter of focusing on one's strengths and overall abilities, not weaknesses.

Everyone's confidence can be torn down.

Come on, guy.  Be serious.  Since they're the ones who make the decision and who set out the guidelines, yes, that's exactly how it is.  It's ridiculous and totally farcical to think that you or the fans determine who the competition is between and who should be the winner.  You need to step back and take a deep breath.  You've gone off the deep end, my friend.

So "every position is an open competition" means what again?

So "every position is an open competition" means what again?

Go back and read what was said.  No one ever said that it was a 4-way competition for the starting QB position.  No one.  Nor was it ever implied that McElroy or Simms would ever be involved in that competition.  Their competition was with each other for the #3 QB job.  Period.  Even going in to OTAs, NO ONE thought McElroy or Simms deserved to have a shot at the starting job.  They'd have been laughed at unmercifully if they even suggested it.

The only interception I have a real problem with is the (third?) one, the one in which he didn't even see the defender in coverage and threw it right to him.

The first one was more a matter of a bad pass than a bad decision and it was a bad pass by about six inches. Six inches to the right and Spadola catches it or its an incompletion.

The other one he just tried to do too much throwing into that back area of the field.

Go back and read what was said.  No one ever said that it was a 4-way competition for the starting QB position.  No one.  Nor was it ever implied that McElroy or Simms would ever be involved in that competition.  Their competition was with each other for the #3 QB job.  Period.  Even going in to OTAs, NO ONE thought McElroy or Simms deserved to have a shot at the starting job.  They'd have been laughed at unmercifully if they even suggested it.

“It’s an open competition,” Idzik said on ESPN radio’s Mike & Mike show on Tuesday. “It’s an open competition not only at quarterback, but at all positions on our roster. That will hold not only throughout the entire year, but hold as long as I’m here. Mark’s in the competition. We fully expect that it will help him get better. It will help David get better…. It will help Greg. It will help Matt Simms. It will certainly help Geno. I think the more quality, depth and competition you can bring in at the position, it makes everybody better. That certainly incudes Mark.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/04/general-manager-john-idzik-says-jets-will-have-open-competition-at-quarterback

“It’s an open competition,” Idzik said on ESPN radio’s Mike & Mike show on Tuesday. “It’s an open competition not only at quarterback, but at all positions on our roster. That will hold not only throughout the entire year, but hold as long as I’m here. Mark’s in the competition. We fully expect that it will help him get better. It will help David get better…. It will help Greg. It will help Matt Simms. It will certainly help Geno. I think the more quality, depth and competition you can bring in at the position, it makes everybody better. That certainly incudes Mark.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/04/general-manager-john-idzik-says-jets-will-have-open-competition-at-quarterback

Do you think he really meant that?  For one minute do you think he has ever seriously considered allowing Simms or McElroy to move ahead of Geno?  I don't.  If I'm wrong and he has, good for him.  Maybe he will be a keeper as GM, but I just don't see it.  It's not how those guys operate usually.

The only interception I have a real problem with is the (third?) one, the one in which he didn't even see the defender in coverage and threw it right to him.

The first one was more a matter of a bad pass than a bad decision and it was a bad pass by about six inches. Six inches to the right and Spadola catches it or its an incompletion.

The other one he just tried to do too much throwing into that back area of the field.

INT's are one thing. Looking clumsy and having awful mechanics are another.

Do you think he really meant that?  For one minute do you think he has ever seriously considered allowing Simms or McElroy to move ahead of Geno?  I don't.  If I'm wrong and he has, good for him.  Maybe he will be a keeper as GM, but I just don't see it.  It's not how those guys operate usually.

Does "open competition" have more than one meaning?

Do you think he really meant that? For one minute do you think he has ever seriously considered allowing Simms or McElroy to move ahead of Geno? I don't. If I'm wrong and he has, good for him. Maybe he will be a keeper as GM, but I just don't see it. It's not how those guys operate usually.

give it up. guy's anti-Idzik, it's got little to do with Geno.

Does "open competition" have more than one meaning?

Whatever.  You only can see what you want to see.  You have an obvious agenda.  Have fun with it.  You're a good guy, but you're blind right now and are letting your passion/emotion overrule your brain and rational thought.  Carry on.

the fact that you are willfully ignoring the idea that Idzik/the Jets can say one thing and mean/do another means that whatever I say is irrelevant.

Idzik must have said 1000 times that there will be open competitions at every position this training camp. No on is denying that Simms has looked better then Geno throughout. So now we just chalk it up to the old "say one thing and do another"? Ok. (rolling eyes)

Idzik must have said 1000 times that there will be open competitions at every position this training camp. No on is denying that Simms has looked better then Geno throughout. So now we just chalk it up to the old "say one thing and do another"? Ok. (rolling eyes)

I wasn't going to say anything else, but can't let this one go.  The bolded statement is patently untrue.  There were many positive comments about how great Geno was doing early on in TC and also reports of Simms struggling with accuracy and other things, but whatever fits your agenda...

I wasn't going to say anything else, but can't let this one go.  The bolded statement is patently untrue.  There were many positive comments about how great Geno was doing early on in TC and also reports of Simms struggling with accuracy and other things, but whatever fits your agenda...

I never heard about SImms having a "brutal" day. All we can go by is what we see. All the QB's had ups and downs in training camp.

like I said, you're just going to stamp your foot like a five year old and say, "Waaah open competition only has one meaning!!!! waaaah!" like Joe said, nobody at any point until now thought Simms would be sniffing starting Week 1 and the real competition has always been between Smith and Sanchez. If you want to close your eyes and act like you have some kind of selective learning disability, fine. But that doesn't make Joe's point any less true.

Geno was drafted because he fell to us and happened to be the highest guy on the board. That doesnt mean he's the future of anything.

That is exactly it.  I was terrified the Jets were going to take Smith at 9or 13.  They didn't they took him at 39.  Good value, I'm good with the selection.   

if e goes bust, oh well, if he hits,he's a steal.   At this point in time we have another young QB who has a bigger arm, and is outplaying him.

Why do people have to feel Simms has no chance?  Right now he looks better then Smith.  The big thing Is he has improved dramatically in the last year.   If he continues that  upswing the Jets might have a real good QB on their hands some time this year or maybe next year.  What's not to like?

like I said, you're just going to stamp your foot like a five year old and say, "Waaah open competition only has one meaning!!!! waaaah!" like Joe said, nobody at any point until now thought Simms would be sniffing starting Week 1 and the real competition has always been between Smith and Sanchez. If you want to close your eyes and act like you have some kind of selective learning disability, fine. But that doesn't make Joe's point any less true.

I didn't know pointing out factual occurrences could be misconstrued for whining. You look at your whole roster in training camp. Its sorta the point of training camp dude.

you are taking what someone else is reporting over what your own eyes witness? sounds like an agenda alright

I didn't know pointing out factual occurrences could be misconstrued for whining. You look at your whole roster in training camp. Its sorta the point of training camp dude.

you're refusing to acknowledge that things that aren't blatantly stated can be true, and most likely are true in this case. but keep at it, you're making my point.

you're refusing to acknowledge that things that aren't blatantly stated can be true, and most likely are true in this case. but keep at it, you're making my point.

So the Jets stated they had an open competition, but even if the next Kurt Warner showed up to camp it wouldnt have mattered? Is that what you are saying?

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/rex-no-starter-named-expect-injury-news-wednesday-no-cuts-yet/

From todays presser

And if not Geno, what about Matt Simms as the Jets QB?

“I certainly can see where you can make a case for it,” Ryan said. “He had a tremendous preseason game and it’s really elevated his stock.”

Thx for the link....if we don't sign a veteran, I'm inclined to think that Sanchez could be ready for week 1.

Archived