Jets bringing in QBs.

joewilly12

Well, Leinart signed with the Bills, John Beck was never scheduled, and Trent Edwards was already signed in Chicago. Time for someone to take Gil Brandt out behind the woodshed.

If the Jets had signed Leinart, my days as a Jets fan would have been over.  I would have then known that Idzik was as clueless as his predecessors.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize that he was the one who gave the names of the QBs the Jets were gonna bring in. IMO they shouldn't bring anyone in. They have 3 QBs on the roster and didn't bring in another vet after Garrard retired, and they should just go with what they have. It's a win-win situation. They don't use up any cap space, Geno gets a chance to develop on the job and prove himself and/or Simms or McElroy get a chance to prove themselves. If one of the present QBs develop and proves to be a quality starter, great. If two do, it's gravy. If none of them do and the team finishes with a top 3 draft pick, they really didn't lose anything, and since it's a rebuilding year, it will actually benefit the team by accelerating their rebuild by having much better draft position.

They need a bridge so as to at least have the option of keeping Geno on the bench. If he starts Day One, the team is going 1-8 and, because he's not ready, Geno will make plays every week that make the Buttfumble look like Montana-to-Rice.

They need a bridge so as to at least have the option of keeping Geno on the bench. If he starts Day One, the team is going 1-8 and, because he's not ready, Geno will make plays every week that make the Buttfumble look like Montana-to-Rice.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.  If Sanchez was healthy, then I'd have said start Sanchez until Geno is ready, but if Sanchez is out for any length of time, I just don't see the point of bringing in some outside QB, who is no better than Sanchez, is just gonna eat up some cap space and may not play any better than Geno, McElroy, or Simms would.  IMO the worst case scenario would be for them to bring in a QB and he leads them to an 8-8 record.  The season would still suck and then draft position would be screwed for next year.  If Geno wasn't able to supplant the vet by season's end or didn't develop, they'd still desperately need a QB and have no realistic shot at one barring a Ditka kind of trade.  

I still think it would have been best for Geno if he got to sit, but since they don't have a vet who knows the offense on board already, I think they might as well just go with Geno.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. If Sanchez was healthy, then I'd have said start Sanchez until Geno is ready, but if Sanchez is out for any length of time, I just don't see the point of bringing in some outside QB, who is no better than Sanchez, is just gonna eat up some cap space and may not play any better than Geno, McElroy, or Simms would. IMO the worst case scenario would be for them to bring in a QB and he leads them to an 8-8 record. The season would still suck and then draft position would be screwed for next year. If Geno wasn't able to supplant the vet by season's end or didn't develop, they'd still desperately need a QB and have no realistic shot at one barring a Ditka kind of trade.

I still think it would have been best for Geno if he got to sit, but since they don't have a vet who knows the offense on board already, I think they might as well just go with Geno.

They're going to turn Geno into Dave Brown if they throw him out there right away.

They're going to turn Geno into Dave Brown if they throw him out there right away.

You know that I've been one of the most ardent ones saying that Geno needs to sit and learn pressure free so he won't have whatever chances he has of succeeding ruined.

That said, if he's gonna take as long to learn as you said, who cares if he turns into Dave Brown?  He won't help the team any time soon anyway.  The Jets can't wait 2-3 years to find their next franchise QB.  If Geno doesn't show clear signs of being that guy by the end of the season, then they need to at least draft another QB high and let them compete, if not move on imo.

Probably, but if he's gonna take as long to learn as you said, who cares? He won't help the team any time soon anyway. The Jets can't wait 2-3 years to find their next franchise QB. If Geno doesn't show clear signs of being that guy by the end of the season, then they need to move on imo.

What if the Packers used that same logic with Aaron Rodgers, who likewise had to re-learn the game?

What if the Packers used that same logic with Aaron Rodgers, who likewise had to re-learn the game?

I don't know that Rodgers had to re-learn the game, but besides he was sitting behind a HOF QB.  If the Packers hadn't had Favre, and Rodgers was as bad as you suggest, I'm not so sure that he'd be their starting QB now.

You know as well as I that the Jets don't have a quality starter that Geno can sit behind for 2-3 years and learn.  They have to find a new starter if they have any hopes of winning a Lombardi Trophy any time in the foreseeable future.  Think of how awful things would be if the Jets signed some jag vet QB to start for the next 2 seasons and the Jets finish 8-8 or 7-9 each of those seasons, and then find out that Geno still can't play?  Idzik and that next HC would probably lose their jobs.  IMO Geno HAS to show real potential for being their QB of the future this season, or the Jets have no choice, they HAVE to draft another QB high next draft.  The two of them can then compete.  If Geno beats him out, great.  If not, then Geno can be the backup or be cut/traded.  If both develop, great, they can keep both for a couple of years for insurance and then trade one of them for multiple high picks in a future draft..

I don't know that Rodgers had to re-learn the game, but besides he was sitting behind a HOF QB. If the Packers hadn't had Favre, and Rodgers was as bad as you suggest, I'm not so sure that he'd be their starting QB now.

You know as well as I that the Jets don't have a quality starter that Geno can sit behind for 2-3 years and learn. They have to find a new starter if they have any hopes of winning a Lombardi Trophy any time in the foreseeable future. Think of how awful things would be if the Jets signed some jag vet QB to start for the next 2 seasons and the Jets finish 8-8 or 7-9 each of those seasons, and then find out that Geno still can't play? Idzik and that next HC would probably lose their jobs. IMO Geno HAS to show real potential for being their QB of the future this season, or the Jets have no choice, they HAVE to draft another QB high next draft. The two of them can then compete. If Geno beats him out, great. If not, then Geno can be the backup or be cut/traded. If both develop, great, they can keep both for a couple of years for insurance and then trade one of them for multiple high picks in a future draft..

I don't even think a quality JAG could get the team to 8-8. What you'd gain by bringing in a Trent Edwards-type at this point (assuming Sanchez will miss a block of time) is a guy who can identify a blitz, call an audible, get in and out of plays, and manage a football game so they can lose 24-17 instead of 38-7. Geno cannot do that right now. McElroy might, but defenses will put ten in the box on him because of his arm. Matt Simms is not an NFL QB, despite his recent success against opposing third team defenses. At all costs, they need to shield Geno from forced duty because he can't protect himself. You need a JAG to come in for one year, hand the ball off, throw 15 passes a game, and get out of the way when Geno starts to put the pieces together.

As for Rodgers, he came out of that Jeff Tedford system that produced Kyle Boller, which has zero similarities to an NFL offense.

I don't even think a quality JAG could get the team to 8-8. What you'd gain by bringing in a Trent Edwards-type at this point (assuming Sanchez will miss a block of time) is a guy who can identify a blitz, call an audible, get in and out of plays, and manage a football game so they can lose 24-17 instead of 38-7. Geno cannot do that right now. McElroy might, but defenses will put ten in the box on him because of his arm. Matt Simms is not an NFL QB, despite his recent success against opposing third team defenses. At all costs, they need to shield Geno from forced duty because he can't protect himself. You need a JAG to come in for one year, hand the ball off, throw 15 passes a game, and get out of the way when Geno starts to put the pieces together.

As for Rodgers, he came out of that Jeff Tedford system that produced Kyle Boller, which has zero similarities to an NFL offense.

I can live with that if they opt to go that way, but if Geno isn't ready enough to start by the bye, then I think they have to draft another QB high next draft.

The Jets simply do not have many options.  I don't think bringing in another Qb makes all that much sense unless it is part of a trade, since hte logic is that if Simms and McElroy do not have it in either of them to play, why did the Jets have them on the roster all along?  It makes no sense.  (Not to digress but i suppose they could say those two guys, or at least one of them, has not shown enough to deserve a roster spot, but the irony here is that neither has had all that much of a chance to show their stuff, even in practices.  Simms having some success against third stringers does not change that, either.)

But I agree that the start Geno now idea could cause more problems for him than he would benefit from playing.  When people say experience helps development, they mean good experience, not the experience of failing.  Geno's performance against the Giants was a failure. He needs more time learning how to mix knowing what they are tryhing to do with MM's playbook and what the D is doing.

Btw, assessing McElroy's abilities based on the sacks he took last season is problematic.  That was arguably the OL's worst game all year.  Was it something more than coincidental it happened with McElroy in there?  More than likely, but it is not clear to me that is the explanation.  RIght now  I would expect him to play better than Smith, and better than anyone else they can bring in who has been named.  (I assume Foles is not available.)

I don't know that Rodgers had to re-learn the game, but besides he was sitting behind a HOF QB.  If the Packers hadn't had Favre, and Rodgers was as bad as you suggest, I'm not so sure that he'd be their starting QB now.

You know as well as I that the Jets don't have a quality starter that Geno can sit behind for 2-3 years and learn.  They have to find a new starter if they have any hopes of winning a Lombardi Trophy any time in the foreseeable future.  Think of how awful things would be if the Jets signed some jag vet QB to start for the next 2 seasons and the Jets finish 8-8 or 7-9 each of those seasons, and then find out that Geno still can't play?  Idzik and that next HC would probably lose their jobs.  IMO Geno HAS to show real potential for being their QB of the future this season, or the Jets have no choice, they HAVE to draft another QB high next draft.  The two of them can then compete.  If Geno beats him out, great.  If not, then Geno can be the backup or be cut/traded.  If both develop, great, they can keep both for a couple of years for insurance and then trade one of them for multiple high picks in a future draft..

You know, you can learn from sitting behind a non-Hall of Fame QB.

Joe Montana sat his rookie year and watched Steve DeBerg, 

You know, you can learn from sitting behind a non-Hall of Fame QB.

Joe Montana sat his rookie year and watched Steve DeBerg, 

I know that.  If you've read any of my posts on the subject, you know that I have been one of the biggest proponents of not rushing Geno onto the field and letting him sit and learn until he's ready.  It was one thing with Sanchez who has been a part of the team and knows the offense.  IMO it's another with a completely foreign QB who doesn't know any of the players or the system.  That QB would be too busy trying to learn the system and develop timing with the receivers to spend much, if any, time helping Geno and would have no real reason to, either, since Geno would conceivably take his starting job within a few weeks or months.  In addition, Steve DeBerg is light years better than any of the deadbeats calling themselves a QB that are available now.  

I just think that bringing in another QB from outside at this point would be not only a waste of cap space, but would make the organization look bad. Unless Sanchez is ruled out for the season, there's no real need for another QB, and even then why did they keep McElroy and Sims on the roster during TC if they aren't capable of playing?  

Geno can still sit and learn.  Let McElroy start until Sanchez is healthy or Geno is ready.

For what it's worth, I have changed my mind.  If Sanchez is going to be out for any appreciable length of time, unless they think that McElroy or Sims is ready and can step up and start, then they need to bring in a vet.  I think you're right that it's gonna be a long while before Geno is ready.  I think they need to backtrack, to tell him that he's not going to be playing any time soon.  Have him focus solely on his fundamentals (taking the snap, dropping back and throwing) until it feels like that's the way he's always done it.  Once that is natural to him, then have him focus on reading Ds.  Then have him practice the various plays until he's comfortable with everything.  Then and only then, think of putting him on the playing field in an actual game.  This might take 2 weeks, 2 months or the entire season.  If it's the entire season, then they need to draft another QB high.  If it only takes 2 weeks or 2 months, then they can let his play determine whether they take a QB high in next year's draft or not. 

Archived