Sanchez Shoulder Update

Ken Schroy

I'm sorta enjoying Idzik's obfuscations.

It's been fun watching Cimini and Mehta contort themselves into paroxysms of impotent rage.

Btw, it's instructive that Costello's latest tweet contains new information he himself gleaned, Cimini's latest tweet contains old information he got from Schefter, and Mehta's latest tweet is about Adrian Peterson.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been fun watching Cimini and Mehta contort themselves into paroxysms of impotent rage.

Btw, it's instructive that Costello's latest tweet contains new information he himself gleaned, Cimini's latest tweet contains old information he got from Schefter, and Mehta's latest tweet is about Adrian Peterson.

I actually don't hate Costello. he dabbles in trolling but usually sticks to straight stuff and isn't wildly obnoxious or pretentious.

Because Costello is not an arrogant ass like his flashy counterparts. I'll take a singles hitter any day.

oh. boy...  he'll come back,  play extremely mediocre..  and cue a fall/winter/spring/summer's worth of Penningtonian warrior stories..

:puke2:

Oh dear God I hope that this doesn't come true, as much as I can very easily see it happening.  The lack of such a thing to date is the only reason why, despite him being an admittedly worse player, I've still never come to despise Sanchez to the same extent I ever did ole Pennyboy.  If we have to deal with this kind of crap for him, I'm not sure I could survive that as a fan.

I was at the game and it looked like Sanchez dislocated his shoulder. The bruising may be symptomatic of the internal dislocation...if the MRI showed a partial tear then he could be out for a while. Bruising of the Shoulder would not be the full extent of the diagnosis. Day to day may mean week to week. I doubt he starts Game 1. He could be back for game 3 or 4 if its a separated shoulder. If its a partial tear within the shoulder, you'd have to see if he can play through the "looseness" that occurs in the joint. 

Either way, Geno will probably be the week 1 starter. Expect to see him get 1 qtr's worth of work against the Eagles on Thursday.

LL

I was at the game and it looked like Sanchez dislocated his shoulder. The bruising may be symptomatic of the internal dislocation...if the MRI showed a partial tear then he could be out for a while. Bruising of the Shoulder would not be the full extent of the diagnosis. Day to day may mean week to week. I doubt he starts Game 1. He could be back for game 3 or 4 if its a separated shoulder. If its a partial tear within the shoulder, you'd have to see if he can play through the "looseness" that occurs in the joint. 

Either way, Geno will probably be the week 1 starter. Expect to see him get 1 qtr's worth of work against the Eagles on Thursday.

LL

I would be suprised if Geno doesnt play a full half on Thursday 

They will probably have to play Smith some on Thursday with both Sanchez and McElroy hurt.  I sure hope they don't try to make the starting OL come out there with him for a final pre season game.  There will be a revolt.  If they put him out there with Aboushi as LT, he might not live  to the first game. 

Not to mention how well it is going to go with Smith facing Revis first week, then Belichik's defense 3 days later.

Oh boy

They will probably have to play Smith some on Thursday with both Sanchez and McElroy hurt.  I sure hope they don't try to make the starting OL come out there with him for a final pre season game.  There will be a revolt.  If they put him out there with Aboushi as LT, he might not live  to the first game. 

Not to mention how well it is going to go with Smith facing Revis first week, then Belichik's defense 3 days later.

Oh boy

Screw the revolt of the OL, they have to keep their remaining QBs healthy.  If Rex tries to play Geno behind backups vs the Iggles, he should be fired immediately following the game.

Screw the revolt of the OL, they have to keep their remaining QBs healthy.  If Rex tries to play Geno behind backups vs the Iggles, he should be fired immediately following the game.

Simms should get his arm loose because he should play the entire game vs. Philly.    Geno should be learning the Tampa gameplan and getting ready to play week 1.  

Simms should get his arm loose because he should play the entire game vs. Philly.    Geno should be learning the Tampa gameplan and getting ready to play week 1.  

I'm not so sure that Simms should be the one playing the entire game vs. Philly.  While he has a noodle arm, McElroy might actually be the best (most ready to play) QB the Jets have on the roster.  If anything, if the CS has any doubts between the two, McElroy and Simms should both see some time with the starters and 2nd string; otherwise, whoever they think will be the #3 QB this season should get the entire game.  Smith should be focused solely on Tampa Bay and his fundamentals.

I'm not so sure that Simms should be the one playing the entire game vs. Philly.  While he has a noodle arm, McElroy might actually be the best (most ready to play) QB the Jets have on the roster.  If anything, if the CS has any doubts between the two, McElroy and Simms should both see some time with the starters and 2nd string; otherwise, whoever they think will be the #3 QB this season should get the entire game.  Smith should be focused solely on Tampa Bay and his fundamentals.

Your right about McElroy being the most ready.  Problem is  he has been hurt.  I'm sure at this point in timeMcElroy will play on one leg.  His Roster spot is gone if Simms has a good game.

I'm not so sure about putting the starting OL out there.  If Dbrick or Mangold gets hurt Rex will have to go in witness protection.  from his players.

Think Lionel is right.  Sit Smith, let him start focusing on Tampa.  I know he desperately needs the reps, but this really is a bad situation for the Jets.   Nothing good comes out of putting him in against the Eagles with or without the starters. 

Personally I would like to see Simms fro a whole game.  he went on my list from being a total waste of a roster spot to an interesting prospect

Your right about McElroy being the most ready.  Problem is  he has been hurt.  I'm sure at this point in timeMcElroy will play on one leg.  His Roster spot is gone if Simms has a good game.

I'm not so sure about putting the starting OL out there.  If Dbrick or Mangold gets hurt Rex will have to go in witness protection.  from his players.

Think Lionel is right.  Sit Smith, let him start focusing on Tampa.  I know he desperately needs the reps, but this really is a bad situation for the Jets.   Nothing good comes out of putting him in against the Eagles with or without the starters. 

Personally I would like to see Simms fro a whole game.  he went on my list from being a total waste of a roster spot to an interesting prospect

Yes, I know McElroy has been hurt.  Haven't heard anything the last few days.  Hope his ankle has healed.

I hear what you're saying about Brick and Mangold, but would it be any less severe if Smith went down with a serious injury instead?  Plus, there's less chance of one of them getting hurt than there is a QB getting hurt playing behind the 3rd string OL or even the 2nd string OL.

Yes, I know McElroy has been hurt.  Haven't heard anything the last few days.  Hope his ankle has healed.

I hear what you're saying about Brick and Mangold, but would it be any less severe if Smith went down with a serious injury instead?  Plus, there's less chance of one of them getting hurt than there is a QB getting hurt playing behind the 3rd string OL or even the 2nd string OL.

Actually at least IMO it would be much more severe if Mangold or DBrick goes down.  With that said, I wouldn't play smith at all on Thursday.  If need be let Simms have the whole game.

Most of these guys are playing for the last roster spot at their position.  They are really flying around out there and just don't care.  Way to much risk, almost no reward.  JMO

I think the decision to play Sanchez behind 3rd string offensive lineman in the third quater of a meaningless game was one of  the worst decisions Rex has made as a head coach. 

At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind.  Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon.  They need to be patient with him.  They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life.  That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months.  He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all.  Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds.  When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again.  There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks.  He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks.  I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop.  Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind.  Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon.  They need to be patient with him.  They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life.  That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months.  He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all.  Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds.  When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again.  There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks.  He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks.  I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop.  Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

I think that's nonsensical. He made ver good reads, except for the zone blitz

I think the decision to play Sanchez behind 3rd string offensive lineman in the third quater of a meaningless game was one of  the worst decisions Rex has made as a head coach. 

At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

if we are playing hindsight games, this whole thing could have been avoided if Mark was playing with the first team OL.  

Rex should have had the power to name Mark the starter a week ago. When real pro teams do it. Instead of having the GM making QB decisions and completely undercutting the coach. 

if we are playing hindsight games, this whole thing could have been avoided if Mark was playing with the first team OL.  

Rex should have had the power to name Mark the starter a week ago. When real pro teams do it. Instead of having the GM making QB decisions and completely undercutting the coach. 

I was surprised they didn't just let Mark play the 3rd quarter.  Give Geno the first half, Mark the 3rd all behind the starters.  Then Simms or McElroy could have had the 4th quarter.

Smith had very little work in the two previous preseasons, they needed to give him a fair shot to win the starter's role.

They probably also figured that in case Geno did not have a good first half, they wanted to give him the chance to come out in the second half and show what he could do.  As it happened, Geno did not have a good first half and no doubt was happy to have the chance to play in the third quarter.

..At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

Idzik did not make the decision to give Rex another year.  Idzik was hired on the understanding that Rex would be head coach for at least the first year.  During the interview process, Johnson had Rex come into the office and discuss ideas with Idzik as to how things should go.  Rex, however, was not part of the decision making process to hire the GM.

I think what was supposed to happen was when Sanchez went in, he was only going to play a series.  If he led the team down the field and scored, he most likely would have come out.  Since he sh*t the bed and fumbled the shotgun snap, they trotted him out for another series, where he wound up getting hurt.

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind. Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon. They need to be patient with him. They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life. That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months. He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all. Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds. When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again. There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks. He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks. I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop. Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

Yes.

I think that's nonsensical. He made ver good reads, except for the zone blitz

If it's so nonsensical, why have Lee and Mornhinweg saying that Geno still needs to work on that, particularly on reading blitzes?  We don't want him to get seriously injured because he's either incapable of seeing when a blitz is coming or is still struggling with his fundamentals and grasp of the offense that he is thinking about that and doesn't notice that a blitz is coming.  The same principle applies to accuracy and interceptions.  Geno was very accurate in college and rarely threw picks.  Look at how many he's thrown recently in practice and in the game vs the Giants.  That's a clear signal that he's thinking too much, not quite sure about everything, and not comfortable/relaxed and letting his talent take over.

I think what was supposed to happen was when Sanchez went in, he was only going to play a series.  If he led the team down the field and scored, he most likely would have come out.  Since he sh*t the bed and fumbled the shotgun snap, they trotted him out for another series, where he wound up getting hurt.

So are you saying that it's Sanchez' own fault he got injured?   :winking0001:

So he should be fired for having Sanchez play behind scrubs, then for having Smith play behind the first line...guess Rex just cant win with you guys.

That doesn't even make sense.

I know. Some people said Rexshpuld be fired because he pit Sanchez in behind the 3rd string line. Now people are talking about putting the 1st string line in for game 4 so that Geno can protection. Sanchez got hurt, fire Rex. If Mangold gets hurt, again it's fire Rex. Capeche?

I know. Some people said Rexshpuld be fired because he pit Sanchez in behind the 3rd string line. Now people are talking about putting the 1st string line in for game 4 so that Geno can protection. Sanchez got hurt, fire Rex. If Mangold gets hurt, again it's fire Rex. Capeche?

Si. Grazie tanti.

I hear you, except here's the issue (and I'm not one of the hardline Rex bashers here):  there was no earthly reason to put Sanchez in there.

Sanchez was in do-no-harm mode and in that role he fumbled a simple snap - his third ridiculous blunder in as many games - and he was STILL going to get the job.  So unless he sat on the ground and sh*t himself and rubbed it all over his face, the competition was over.  If Sanchez screws up and STILL wins, then there was no purpose to inserting him in the game (backup OL or not).  I mean, literally unless Sanchez threw a pick 6 or two in his 1 quarter of work, the job was his.  So why is he out there? To "win" a job he's already won?  It makes no sense from a logic standpoint. 

There are only 3 reasons to put him in there.  

1. To watch Sanchez succeed and give a definitive end to the competition.  

2. To win a meaningless preseason game (no matter how much coaches bluster how every game counts and you can't get used to losing and blah blah blah. It's a preseason game and it doesn't count, end of story.  

3. Rex is not convinced that Geno is unready to start week 1.

So I'm not satisfied with either of the first 2 reasons, and don't believe the 3rd reason.  If reason 3 was true, then Rex's podium dance would have been different.  He would have said all the appropriate "this sucks" comments about Sanchez's injury but he would have said he still felt good about going with Geno week 1 if the injury forces him to, because the competition was neck & neck anyway & was so close you could flip a coin and not really go wrong no matter who it ended up being.  But he didn't say anything like that.  He was wearing the face of a guy who may have just lost his starting QB 2 weeks before the season starts.

I hear you, except here's the issue (and I'm not one of the hardline Rex bashers here):  there was no earthly reason to put Sanchez in there.

Sanchez was in do-no-harm mode and in that role he fumbled a simple snap - his third ridiculous blunder in as many games - and he was STILL going to get the job.  So unless he sat on the ground and sh*t himself and rubbed it all over his face, the competition was over.  If Sanchez screws up and STILL wins, then there was no purpose to inserting him in the game (backup OL or not).  I mean, literally unless Sanchez threw a pick 6 or two in his 1 quarter of work, the job was his.  So why is he out there? To "win" a job he's already won?  It makes no sense from a logic standpoint. 

rubbed sh*t on his face......classic

he screwed up no doubt... but I dont think it is reason to crusify him

Archived