A fireable offense

BigOrangeJetFan

anyone see kaepernick out of the game in the 1st half last night ?

wonder if sanchez had something to do with that

prob scared every HC in the league

Remember when Kotite would not even let O'Donnell take a preseason snap, because the O-line was so horrible?

Rex's poor judgement was not putting his starting QB in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game with the 2nd team. It was having him do a 7 step drop with those players in. Very stupid.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest difference between Coughlin and Rex is a franchise QB.  

While Rex is a glorified DC (and one of the best at that) the offense has a leadership vacuum and turnover prone, inaccurate QB.   I think Rex's style could work as a HC in the NFL if he had a real QB. 

While I agree with you, and I am a huge Rex supporter and fan, the question we are going to have to ask is, how long does Rex get to have a franchise QB? Do we give him 5 more years? 3 more years? Coughlin and the Giants developed Eli, he was not on the team when Coughlin took over. I don't know how much credit you give a HC for that, but they are at least a part of the equation. Sanchez is horrible, and probably would be under any circumstance, but even as a strong Sanchez hater and a strong Rex supporter, you cannot say that Rex prioritized developing Sanchez, or developing the offense for that matter. I think if Rex was to join forces with a really strong OC, and was handed a top flight QB he would be very successful as a HC, but than again, what HC would not be in that situation. 

Maybe, but the head coach's job is to be the coach of the whole football team.  I know people talk about how most coaches have strengths and weaknesses, and how they come from one side of the ball, but Rex celebrates that like no other coach.  A true head coach doesn't have the luxury to "not watch the offense" or "only go to defensive meetings".  Rex's job description involves both sides of the ball, though it seems to him, he wants to keep his old job, with a better title and paycheck.  So, unless that changes, he's going to be ultimately a failure as a head coach.

This 100%. His comments this year about top 5 defense are really the first time I have found myself scratching my head at Rex. I am starting to question whether he actually wants to be a HC, or really wants to be a DC paid like a HC. I love Rex, and really hope he is hugely successful here, but I find myself starting to doubt that.

I know that every HC is strong on one side of the ball, but that does not mean they can win with only that side of the ball. I really think the future of Rex is whether or not Marty Morningwood is going to be able to truly lead the Offense as an assistant HC type and develop Geno or one of the other guys. If not, Rex will have failed with the hiring of two of his own OC's, and one that was handed to him. At some point the clock will have to strike midnight if this team cannot develop at least an average offense.

I'm not even trying to slightly defend Rex here because, frankly, **** him.  But I think it's rather clear we've officially reached the point where the criteria is going to keep changing to make sure any and every decision Rex makes will be deemed to be the inexcusably wrong one.  I have no doubt that if Sanchez never stepped into the game Rex would be getting blasted for not letting the person who was "clearly" set to be his starter even play in the most significant game of the preseason.  Frankly, I really don't give a damn either way, but it's pretty apparent at this point.

Remember when Kotite would not even let O'Donnell take a preseason snap, because the O-line was so horrible?

Rex's poor judgement was not putting his starting QB in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game with the 2nd team. It was having him do a 7 step drop with those players in. Very stupid.

forgot about that.  what rex did was really dumb.  and his explanation was even worse.   he had to know geno just lost the starting job and he had his starting QB in the 4th Q of a PS game

just so stupid

even with all the nonsense at QB, the offense looks about a million times better than this time last year. 

So far I agree with you, lets see how it plays out in the regular season. The defense will be good, maybe great, if the offense is even decent, Rex will be staying for at least a few more years with a nice extension, if not, I think the Jets have to ask how long they are willing to accept a poor offense, and if Rex as HC can ever deliver anything better than that.

So far I agree with you, lets see how it plays out in the regular season. The defense will be good, maybe great, if the offense is even decent, Rex will be staying for at least a few more years with a nice extension, if not, I think the Jets have to ask how long they are willing to accept a poor offense, and if Rex as HC can ever deliver anything better than that.

Keep holding out hope, it is an admirable quality, especially in the face of so much telling us otherwise!

I think the 7 step drop is probably much more on Morningwood than Rex, I really doubt Rex has anything to do with the playcall, let alone the number of steps on the drop back. I don't have a single problem with Rex putting in Sanchez when he did, this is way overanalyzing. If you want to kill Morningwood on the playcall, that is valid.

Keep holding out hope, it is an admirable quality, especially in the face of so much telling us otherwise!

I have been a huge Rex fan/supporter, but I am wavering. I am not convinced Morningwood is going to be able to deliver a good offense by any stretch, of course I am hopeful, but that does not mean I expect it.

I think the 7 step drop is probably much more on Morningwood than Rex, I really doubt Rex has anything to do with the playcall, let alone the number of steps on the drop back. I don't have a single problem with Rex putting in Sanchez when he did, this is way overanalyzing. If you want to kill Morningwood on the playcall, that is valid.

If you are head coach, and you put your QB in with back-ups, against back-ups (looking to make a name for themselves), you go tour OC and say, run the ball-nothing fancy here. Let's walk out of this with our team intact.

That is what someone who manages a TEAM does. he accounts for all the players, all the coaches. 

Rex doesn't do that. he has pet projects, pet players.

If you are head coach, and you put your QB in with back-ups, against back-ups (looking to make a name for themselves), you go tour OC and say, run the ball-nothing fancy here. Let's walk out of this with our team intact.

That is what someone who manages a TEAM does. he accounts for all the players, all the coaches. 

Rex doesn't do that. he has pet projects, pet players.

Fair point, what I don't know though is how much Idzig is playing into this. I get the feeling he is calling a lot of the shots, and may have actually been the one who ordered Sanchez in to begin with. I get the feeling that if Rex was calling the shots, the job would have already been Sanchez's and this would be a non issue, I think that its pretty clear that Idzig really wants Geno to win the job, and who knows if he told Rex to put in Sanchez or not. This Idzig/Rex situation is not ideal, and I am starting to think that either T-Bum should have been kept with Rex for one more chance, or maybe Rex should have been let go with T-Bum for a new start for the GM/hand picked HC.

Fair point, what I don't know though is how much Idzig is playing into this. I get the feeling he is calling a lot of the shots, and may have actually been the one who ordered Sanchez in to begin with. I get the feeling that if Rex was calling the shots, the job would have already been Sanchez's and this would be a non issue, I think that its pretty clear that Idzig really wants Geno to win the job, and who knows if he told Rex to put in Sanchez or not. This Idzig/Rex situation is not ideal, and I am starting to think that either T-Bum should have been kept with Rex for one more chance, or maybe Rex should have been let go with T-Bum for a new start for the GM/hand picked HC.

I said this before the season.   Teams who have a GM on one page and a HC who is a handshake away from being fired, is never a good thing.  And we know Rex is a headstrong ego maniac kind of guy as it is.  At the end of the day, he is the one making the calls on the field whether Idzik likes it or not.   Nobody fires a HC in preseason or in week 3.      So this season will be interesting to see how far Idzik goes to keep his own plan in tact and how far Rex will go in being his headstrong self.  It's really really weird to see a HC so attached to a QB who has never been good.   It's one thing if somebody loves Favre.  It's another to go that route with Sanchez.  Especially considering Rex is a defensive guy.

I'm not even trying to slightly defend Rex here because, frankly, **** him.  But I think it's rather clear we've officially reached the point where the criteria is going to keep changing to make sure any and every decision Rex makes will be deemed to be the inexcusably wrong one.  I have no doubt that if Sanchez never stepped into the game Rex would be getting blasted for not letting the person who was "clearly" set to be his starter even play in the most significant game of the preseason.  Frankly, I really don't give a damn either way, but it's pretty apparent at this point.

This.  There isnt a hint of objectivity anymore in the debate.  He cant do right, even when he's right.

A week ago, it was how he coddle's Sanchez, now he's a moron for not coddling Sanchez.  lmfao

This.  There isnt a hint of objectivity anymore in the debate.  He cant do right, even when he's right.

A week ago, it was how he coddle's Sanchez, now he's a moron for not coddling Sanchez.  lmfao

Coddling Sanchez would have been calling running plays. 

Dropping back 7 steps is asking someone to plant him.

I really don't get the outrage over Rex playing Sanchez on Saturday.  Personally I think Geno starting on Saturday night was basically a confirmation that he is going to be the starter.  If that's the case, then Sanchez should have gone in when he did. You don't play the third stringer right after the starter comes out in a preseason game.

I think the media would be making a big a deal if Rex hadn't played Sanchez. "Why won't Rex just say that Geno is starting?" "The competition is a farce," blah, blah blah.... 

At this point, according to the media, everything the Jets do is wrong.

bottom line it shouldn't be a fireable offense for trying to win a game. even a "meaningless" preseason game. IT was against the Giants, they wanted to win. 

so 2 weeks ago Rex says that he wasn't watching the offense because it was only preseason and he would pay attention during the regular season (implying that preseason didn't really matter). 

this week Rex says that you play to win the game.  

so which one is it?  he can't have it both ways.  

so 2 weeks ago Rex says that he wasn't watching the offense because it was only preseason and he would pay attention during the regular season (implying that preseason didn't really matter). 

Agree, it does not make much sense. This is why I am starting to question the Idzig/Rex relationship, I don't think they are on the same page at all and this could be a match made in a place not named heaven. It's tough to decipher the stuff going on behind the scenes, and how much that plays into this stuff.

I don't really believe that a HC doesn't watch the offense. Despite his press conference comments. He's trolling these reporters, who btw absolutely deserve to be trolled. 

Rex and Idzik cant stand eachother it looks like. Woody is forcing Rex on Idzik for at least a year. Idzik wants Geno to play. Rex wants to save his job( or possibly try and embarrass Idzik)

This is all going swimmingly.

Interesting your excitement over that considering how much you were trashing Vlad just two weeks ago while going on your Idzik tirade regarding Moore.

link? I have been supporting vlad for 4 years. And many of you have insulted me for this. 

That's the big problem with Rex.  He's not more like Kottite.

link? I have been supporting vlad for 4 years. And many of you have insulted me for this. 

I'll dig it up in a little bit when I have the chance, and to be clear here, I will certainly admit that was the case for most of Vlad's early career, but that all changed a few weeks back when you went on your Moore-is-irreplaceable tirade that let us all know how useless you felt the Jets entire OG depth chart now was.  I'm so certain of this because I specifically called you out on how you had spent so much time defending Vlad and only abandoned doing so once it no longer fit your new Anti-Idzik position.

Archived