No big F'n deal

Section 333

If Mark hadnt gotten injured nobody would have said anything. Anybody calling for his job is a fool and a hypocrite. If u wanted him out prior then fine. But for this?

I apologize if anybody has already wrote a out this, I have read alot of threads and didnt see anything similar.

If you were one of the ones calling for Rex's head , do you really think the decision on a week 1 starter was made after genos 3 picks?

To say he played himself out and Mark was a lock is not accurate iMO. I would have wanted to see a little of Mark with the 1st team. And I said that on the game thread, but when he came in how many of you said it was a big mistake immediately?

How many of you really would have made an issue of this if Mark didnt get hurt? Be honest.

OK, I will.  I think it was an incredibly stupid and risky thing to do regardless.  I wanted Rex fired in January because he's an effing dumbass.  I still do.  If he was gonna put Sanchez in for whatever reason, he should have put the 1st string OL back in.   It doesn't matter if they had already decided that Geno was gonna be the starter, Sanchez was gonna be the starter, or they hadn't decided yet.  You don't put one of your top two QBs in during the 4th qtr of a meaningless preseason game behind your 3rd string OL.  It doesn't matter that the defenders were 3rd string.  They're still trying to make the team and playing hard.  It's just too risky.  With the way that Geno had played, one would think that it was probably a given that if for no other reason, they would have wanted to protect Sanchez because he might still be named the starter.

I'll do you one better: if Geno played great last night, no one would care if Sanchez retired at halftime. Geno being RGIII Jr was the Jets fans last hope for a respectable 2013 season. Now, anything that happens in Jets Land is going to be portrayed as apocalyptic.

I'll do you one better: if Geno played great last night, no one would care if Sanchez retired at halftime. Geno being RGIII Jr was the Jets fans last hope for a respectable 2013 season. Now, anything that happens in Jets Land is going to be portrayed as apocalyptic.

Fantastic. Goes well with the point I was trying to make. U did a bit of a better job with it.

OK, I will. I think it was an incredibly stupid and risky thing to do regardless. I wanted Rex fired in January because he's an effing dumbass. I still do. If he was gonna put Sanchez in for whatever reason, he should have put the 1st string OL back in. It doesn't matter if they had already decided that Geno was gonna be the starter, Sanchez was gonna be the starter, or they hadn't decided yet. You don't put one of your top two QBs in during the 4th qtr of a meaningless preseason game behind your 3rd string OL. It doesn't matter that the defenders were 3rd string. They're still trying to make the team and playing hard. It's just too risky. With the way that Geno had played, one would think that it was probably a given that if for no other reason, they would have wanted to protect Sanchez because he might still be named the starter.

You are certainly entitled to ur opinion. I just think theres alot of sheep out there jumping on rex soley because Mark got hurt.

You are certainly entitled to ur opinion. I just think theres alot of sheep out there jumping on rex soley because Mark got hurt.

There are always are a lot of Jets fans who panic and who are wagon jumpers.  That said, I think most of this board and most Jets fans have wanted Rex fired since last season.  Some may not have been as vociferous as I or some others, but they thought that way, or were willing to wait and see what happened this season.  The stupid move last night could have very well been the straw that broke the camel's toe, er I mean back for those types.

I have been a fan since 1990. The fact that I have been a Yankee fan since 89 helps me cope with being green.

dude you are 33.  it doesn't start to get bad till you hit 40.  ironically, that's about when you start to get numb.  now that im 46 i more or less expect it.  thats a crappy way to follow a team, but what can i do

when I was like 17 - 25 years old this last game would have sent me into a bad mood for 3 days

now I just laugh

dude you are 33.  it doesn't start to get bad till you hit 40.  ironically, that's about when you start to get numb.  now that im 46 i more or less expect it.  thats a crappy way to follow a team, but what can i do

when I was like 17 - 25 years old this last game would have sent me into a bad mood for 3 days

now I just laugh

I'm 42....this sums up the life, great post

This is very true.This season has the potential to be just as humiliating as last year, in part because the quarterback situation has been handled so clumsily. I know you don't think it matters, but Idzik hasn't done himself any favors with his handling of the media. Rex is a dead man walking, but if Sanchez can't start the season and Geno doesn't miraculously adapt to the pro game in the next two weeks, things are going to get really ugly. 

I don't really pay attention or care about preseason, some teams go 0-5 and make the playoffs, others go 5-0 and wind up in last place.   But there are certain things that should worry people.  Last year the offense sucked in the preseason.  People kept saying it's only preseason.  And more excuses came as the season came and went.  Eventually it doesn't matter turns into 6-10 seasons.     

As far as Geno Smith,  it was a bad performance.  And it's a preseason game. The problem is Geno will be either the savior or a guy who gets run out of town. Most people didn't give a damn about Kellen Clemens, but he was another "future QB" that essentially was dumped at the first chance.    Except now you have Sanchez whom everybody, even the GM and owner, seem to want gone, and a fan base who want the guy sent back to California.m  So Geno has it easy and hard.  If he goes out and is just avg, people will proclaim better than Sanchez.  But if he goes out and is worse than Sanchez, the kids going to be run out of the NFL faster than Tebow.  It's just one of those situations.  You get drafted somewhere and sometimes you wind up with a great owner, great coaches, and a plan. Other times you get drafted by a team who seems to have no clue in doing anything right.

live w/ this crap for 40 years then get back to me

Imagine 50+ years of this. Believe me, except for one magical year, it's been virtually the same thing.

This team is a damn laughingstock, and if you don't believe it, try living away from NYC for a few years. I've taken abuse for the last 30 years from fans in whatever city I was living in., but I still kept wearing my Jets stuff. 

No more. I can't bring myself to root against them or for anyone else, but not one more penny is being spent until they get a real owner and a real gm and show me they are really interested in winning instead of just pocketing our money.

I wanted Rex out of here around Game 15 last year so this decision meant nothing to me.  And it is true that a moving QB can absorb that kind of a hit behind any offensive line.  The decision to put him in there showed the poor slob zero respect. But I am not  wringing my hands over GS's performance. First start for a raw rookie, for crying out loud. No comparison here, but Peyton Manning was awful in his first four games, something like a 3 or 4 to 1 INT to TD  ratio.  And he is one of the best. And he is not the only really good QB who had a nightmare start. The things Geno did on Saturday night, which Sanchez still does, are correctible with experience.   I was prepared to say good bye to Sanchez after last year but Tannenbaum hamstrung the organization.  I am sorry he got hurt, but the result is actually what I would have preferred and still do.  I wanted the team to start with Geno and see how he develops.  Best case: he is good.  Worst case: we get a top five pick.  I don't think it is fair to followers of the team to play a guy you did not even want here because you owe him money.  He brings nothing to the organization.  He does not give the team a reason to even play the games.

By the way, how can a guy be called "day to day", and still be projected as out for Thursday?  Is tomorrow Thursday?  He has a significant injury.  My suspicion is a shoulder separation.  The team is telling the press no broken bones, so I think that is their cute way to avoid saying separation.  Why some reporter just does not ask if it is a separation is beyond me?

There are always are a lot of Jets fans who panic and who are wagon jumpers.  That said, I think most of this board and most Jets fans have wanted Rex fired since last season.  Some may not have been as vociferous as I or some others, but they thought that way, or were willing to wait and see what happened this season.  The stupid move last night could have very well been the straw that broke the camel's toe, er I mean back for those types.

No, a very vocal minority of Jets fans want Rex fired. 

now I just laugh

lol.. Mine hapenned a bit younger but yea.. I'm 38 and have been more or less numb to this team since the end of 2008

AKA, T0mShane's element.

By the way, how can a guy be called "day to day", and still be projected as out for Thursday?  Is tomorrow Thursday?  He has a significant injury.  My suspicion is a shoulder separation.  The team is telling the press no broken bones, so I think that is their cute way to avoid saying separation.  Why some reporter just does not ask if it is a separation is beyond me?

Or maybe it's the 4th preseason game so they already know that they are just playing Simms and maybe McElroy if he's healthy enough?  That is pretty much standard practice.

I'm certainly not a doctor, but I would be very surprised if he has a shoulder separation.  After the injury he was attempting to throw the ball, plus he raised his hands over his head when he took his jersey off.  I've had a shoulder separation, and there was no way I was doing either,

I suspect he  has bruising in his shoulder,  and as you pointed out is actually week to week.   Doubt he will start against the Bucs.  Idzik has his excuse to force start Smith.

I'm certainly not a doctor, but I would be very surprised if he has a shoulder separation.  After the injury he was attempting to throw the ball, plus he raised his hands over his head when he took his jersey off.  I've had a shoulder separation, and there was no way I was doing either,

I suspect he  has bruising in his shoulder,  and as you pointed out is actually week to week.   Doubt he will start against the Bucs.  Idzik has his excuse to force start Smith.

I think that depends on the severity of the separation. A grade 1 separation is more like a sprain.  You'd lose strength in the shoulder, but still have a fairly normal range of motion in the arm.  This could be what Sanchez has.

A Grade 2 or worse means a partial or full ligament tear.  That's when you'd struggle to even put on a shirt.  I've had a grade 2 separation (I still have piece of bone sticking out from my shoulder from it). I'd suspect your separation was at least that as well, and I agree that there's no way Sanchez would even be able to take off his jersey and pads if he had that kind of injury.

Imagine 50+ years of this. Believe me, except for one magical year, it's been virtually the same thing.

This team is a damn laughingstock, and if you don't believe it, try living away from NYC for a few years. I've taken abuse for the last 30 years from fans in whatever city I was living in., but I still kept wearing my Jets stuff. 

No more. I can't bring myself to root against them or for anyone else, but not one more penny is being spent until they get a real owner and a real gm and show me they are really interested in winning instead of just pocketing our money.

The core problem. May be he's learned a hard lesson, and may be he takes a giant step back and lets Idzik go to work. I understand he owns the team and has an ego, but Woody Johnson comes from old money and never really had to work for it. Doesn't strike me he's terribly bright. Smart people in such circumstances either work very hard in the background to learn the  business or hire good people to do the work let them do it. Instead he doesn't appear to have learned anything in the decade or so he has owned the Jets. He's impressed by BS.  He continues to hire clowns as HC and GM.Hiring people like Herman Edwards and Wrecks are simply embarrassing mistakes and between those 2 we have a decade of defense first coaching as offense explodes. In both cases playoff berths seem to be more a function of the teams they inherited rather than great coaching. Mangini is a control freak but at least you could see that as a conventional hire. Tannenbaum's promotion seemed like ass kissing Woody paid off for Mike T. And Woody lets Terry Bradway hang on forever despite some really awful drafting.(what ever we have been told about Russell Wilson).  There doesn't' seem to be any consequences for failure. 

Again, I'm open to the idea Idzik may work out, but the past is not encouraging. 

Bradway sucked.  Tannenbaum sucked.  Schottenhiemer sucked.  Rex sucks.  Sanchez SUCKS.  How did this team ever beat a playoff team?  The talent level couldn't have been THAT bad.  I can buy the whole player's coach ran his course or the Tannenbaum mortgaged everything and got too cute, but they were a pretty strong team for a couple of years there. 

you are probably right.  But I was struck by the fact that they did not discount a separation.  To me, dislocation, broken collarbone, or separation are the three big ones here.  

The core problem. May be he's learned a hard lesson, and may be he takes a giant step back and lets Idzik go to work. I understand he owns the team and has an ego, but Woody Johnson comes from old money and never really had to work for it. Doesn't strike me he's terribly bright. Smart people in such circumstances either work very hard in the background to learn the  business or hire good people to do the work let them do it. Instead he doesn't appear to have learned anything in the decade or so he has owned the Jets. He's impressed by BS.  He continues to hire clowns as HC and GM.Hiring people like Herman Edwards and Wrecks are simply embarrassing mistakes and between those 2 we have a decade of defense first coaching as offense explodes. In both cases playoff berths seem to be more a function of the teams they inherited rather than great coaching. Mangini is a control freak but at least you could see that as a conventional hire. Tannenbaum's promotion seemed like ass kissing Woody paid off for Mike T. And Woody lets Terry Bradway hang on forever despite some really awful drafting.(what ever we have been told about Russell Wilson).  There doesn't' seem to be any consequences for failure. 

Again, I'm open to the idea Idzik may work out, but the past is not encouraging. 

I totally agree with you regarding Woody.  He's Leon Hess II.  He hasn't or can't learn how to do things the right way himself, and isn't bright enough to hire someone to run things for him.  I have a small amount of hope that maybe Idzik, if he turns out to be a good hire, will be that guy, that Woody will learn to trust him, and step back and let him run the team.  I'm not gonna hold my breath on either of those things, however.

I disagree with you regarding Bradway.  When he was a GM, I did agree, thought he was awful, and thought he should have been fired, rather than demoted.  Since that time, I've changed my mind.  He was in over his head as a GM, but as head of Scouting, according to articles I've read here and there, he's respected around the league, and he is responsible for many of the good players they have and tried to keep them from drafting some of the duds that Tanny drafted.

now I just laugh

I laugh I'm 24 ... I always say you have to have thick skin to be a Jets Fan. 

Starting Sanchez in the 4th QTR with 3rd stringers was incredibly stupid. I know there is still a competition and the position is undecided, but please, after 4 years of seeing him in every possible regular season and post season situation, it is critical to see what Sanchez can do in the 4 QTR of a preseason game with 3rd stringers? You play Matt Simms at that point. Period. 

Ryan is an idiot.

Archived