Jets cut Joe McKnight & 13 other new free agents

Lizard King

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jet's Cuts: Peterman and McKnight among cuts

New York Jets @nyjets

Also released by the Jets: LS Patrick Scales, RB Chad Spann, WR K.J. Stroud, and WR Rahsaan Vaughn: newyorkjets.com/news/article-5…

New York Jets @nyjets

Also released by the Jets: RB-KR Joe McKnight, G Stephen Peterman, LB Sean Progar-Jackson, P Ryan Quigley, WR Marcus Rucker...

New York Jets @nyjets

The Jets have released 14 players from the Active Roster:WR Joe Collins, S Donnie Fletcher, G Patrick Ford, T Trey Gilleo, S Bret Lockett...

Wow I didn't expect Peterman to be cut.  I guess they're comfortable with Vlad and Brian Winters at the guard spots.

Haven't seen enough of Vlad to know if he has improved - but Winters got abused by the Giants. Surprising cut.

Haven't seen enough of Vlad to know if he has improved - but Winters got abused by the Giants. Surprising cut.

To be honest I was paying so much attention to Geno on Saturday that I didn't really watch the guards.  That said, I thought the pass protection for Geno wasn't bad.  There were a lot of plays where he had plenty of time.

It went downhill big time once the backups came in.

To be honest I was paying so much attention to Geno on Saturday that I didn't really watch the guards.  That said, I thought the pass protection for Geno wasn't bad.  There were a lot of plays where he had plenty of time.

I saw the game a second time and watched the line play more. Obviously I'm not a line coach and I dont know the line calls so its hard to tell completely. But it looked like Mangold was helping out Winters a lot in pass protection, Winters was one of the reasons our run game struggled (a big one) and on one screen pass, he literally didnt block anyone. On Geno's 2 INT's he was bullrushed into the QB and he was just generally pushed back in pass protection until the Giants started resting their starters, then he looked better.

This team looks screwed at the RB position. Powell runs like a slug, Ivory is a huge mistake, moves a real lot but gets nowhere and Goodson must weight about 300lbs by now. Bell might be the best of the lot.

I agree, and its one of the reasons it is hard to judge this line. On one play they opened up a GREAT hole for Ivory - but Ivory decided to do his best Michael Jackson impersonation instead of running it up in there.

Definitely surprised to read about Peterman, but OG is probably one of the few positions you can actual scour cuts this time of the year and dig someone somewhat respectable up, so don't be surprised to see the Jets making more moves at the position within the coming week.  In the meantime I'd guess they have Vlad penciled in there, for whatever that is worth.

Or maybe they'll make bit's dream come true and convince Moore not to retire and instead make his return to the team.  You never know.

Yeah

I rewatched the condensed version on the preseason package twice.  Your right, Smith had more then adequate protection.  Vlad actually played well.  IMO when Winters was in it sagged a bit.  He's a raw rookie so not panicked, but not what I wanted to see.

Aboushi is a dog.  Peterman was hot and cold.  He went real cold when Sanchez came in.  Looked like he was involved on both the first sack of Sanchez, and the injury.  Hard to tell  if he or Aboushi, or both missed their assignments. 

Actually surprised Aboushi didn't join Peterman on the unemployment line.  He has been very bad all games.  Guess they figure he's a rook, and green.  Thing is he may get a QB killed

Yeah

I rewatched the condensed version on the preseason package twice.  Your right, Smith had more then adequate protection.  Vlad actually played well.  IMO when Winters was in it sagged a bit.  He's a raw rookie so not panicked, but not what I wanted to see.

Aboushi is a dog.  Peterman was hot and cold.  He went real cold when Sanchez came in.  Looked like he was involved on both the first sack of Sanchez, and the injury.  Hard to tell  if he or Aboushi, or both missed their assignments. 

Actually surprised Aboushi didn't join Peterman on the unemployment line.  He has been very bad all games.  Guess they figure he's a rook, and green.  Thing is he may get a QB killed

At the bare minimum Aboushi is getting kept around to play this week, since in all likelihood none of the starters (except perhaps whoever ends up starting at LG) will be playing.  My guess is he ends up being the very last OL on the depth chart, with the Jets having no intentions of playing him this year and is simply inactive every week.

Definitely surprised to read about Peterman, but OG is probably one of the few positions you can actual scour cuts this time of the year and dig someone somewhat respectable up, so don't be surprised to see the Jets making more moves at the position within the coming week.  In the meantime I'd guess they have Vlad penciled in there, for whatever that is worth.

Or maybe they'll make bit's dream come true and convince Moore not to retire and instead make his return to the team.  You never know.

Agree

Jets have a bit of money still available in cap space.   Moore's play has sagged quite a bit over the last two years, but he's still better then  Peterman by a mile.  Thing is, Vlad really has been playing  surprisingly well.  Moore's still probably better.  The reason Moore didn't do the Boys deal was he didn't want to move his family for one year.  Perhaps he'll do one more year with the Jets

Think the Jets would be wise to cough up a few bucks to solidify their OL, and get some depth.  Second string looks bad, and I don't think Winters is ready.  Think a vet will be signed, if he lowers his asking price, I'd go with Moore.

Joe McKnight, Stephen Peterman among first Jets cuts

BY Seth Walder

Joe McKnight’s bizarre training camp has ended with the running back as one of the team’s first cuts. The Jets released 14 players on Monday morning, including the running back who in the past few weeks had: failed his conditioning test, suffered migraines, been arrested, had a concussion and been unable to walk to the practice field. On May 16, McKnight said, “I don’t care who they bring in, they’re going (to have to) kill me to take my spot.”

McKnight’s antics had stirred up plenty of attention around him, but the cut that was a greater surprise and has more of a football impact is G Stephen Peterman. Peterman had been projected to start, or at least compete to start, at guard after signing as a free agent this offseason. The team had recently worked him out as a backup center. The release of the veteran likely means the Jets have liked what they’ve seen out of Vlad Ducasse, who started at LG against the Giants Saturday. Ducasse will compete with Brian Winters for the second starting guard position.

The Jets released P Ryan Quigley, who had been challenging Rob Malone for the punter job. Malone performed well in the team’s third preseason game.

The full list of the team’s initial cuts includes: WR Joe Collins, S Donnie Fletcher, G Patrick Ford, T Trey Gilleo, S Bret Lockett, McKnight, Peterman, LB Sean Progar-Jackson, Quigley, WR Marcus Rucker, LS Patrick Scales, RB Chad Spann, WR K.J. Stroud and WR Rahsaan Vaughn.

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Jets release running back Joe McKnight, who had an uneven career and 2013 training camp with them

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By  Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger  

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on August 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM, updated August 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Coming out of high school in 2007, Joe McKnight was rated the nation’s No. 1 running back recruit and No. 2 overall prospect by recruiting website Rivals.com.

He headed to Southern California, where he was expected to replace Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush, who was picked second in the 2006 NFL draft.

But McKnight never thrived like Bush did in college. He did have his fleeting moments, just as he would with the Jets in the NFL, before being released Monday.

During the Rose Bowl after his freshman season, he accumulated 206 all-purpose yards – 125 rushing on 10 carries, 45 on six catches and 36 on three punt returns. He strived to turn his talent into an NFL paycheck. During that Rose Bowl, he wore eye black with “I need” under one eye and “$” under the other.

"I'm trying to get money," he said after the game, as he pointed at his eye back, according to Sports Illustrated. "I'm trying to get to the league. I'm just a poor college student from New Orleans right now."

McKnight skipped his final season of eligibility and entered the 2010 NFL draft, in which the Jets selected him in the fourth round. They gave him a four-year $2.291 million contract, with a $501,000 signing bonus. This season, in the final year of the deal, he was scheduled to count $755,250 against the Jets’ salary cap – the biggest cap hit of his career. But if the Jets released him, he would count just $125,250 in “dead” money against the team’s cap.

And that’s exactly what happened Monday morning, when the Jets trimmed 14 players off their active roster, including McKnight, who never quite lived up to expectations.

McKnight posted on his Twitter account after being released. One tweet read: "Love all my JETS AND JETS FANS HAD FUN. I love this place that's why this hurts some much, I loved all those guys in that locker room." The other read: "BACK TO STEP ONE."

He started just one of 39 games over three NFL seasons and had 112 carries for 502 yards and zero touchdowns. He never carried more than 43 times in one season and never gained more than 189 yards.

McKnight showed flashes as the Jets’ kickoff returner the past two seasons. In 2011, he averaged 31.6 yards per return and ranked second in the NFL. In 2012, he averaged 27.5 and ranked seventh in the league. Both seasons, he returned one kickoff for a touchdown.

With the offseason departure of Shonn Greene, McKnight had a chance to seize playing time in training camp, battling Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell for action. But McKnight suffered a head injury Aug. 2 and never participated in any of the Jets’ first three preseason games, though he was active for last Saturday’s against the Giants.

On July 30, an off day from camp, McKnight was arrested in Hanover Township after a speeding stop revealed he had two outstanding warrants for unpaid vehicle fines totaling $320. He was released after paying his bail, which was the sum of the fines.

The Jets decided they could move on without him, even though another running back, Mike Goodson, never showed up to training camp because of undisclosed personal reasons. Like Ivory, Goodson was brought in by the Jets in the offseason. In May, Goodson was arrested on drug possession and weapons charges.

Ivory dealt with a nagging hamstring injury during camp, but is 100 percent now. And Powell has impressed throughout camp. During their preseason games, the Jets have used him in their Wildcat package, in which he takes direct shotgun snaps.

The Jets released 13 other players Monday. NFL teams must trim their rosters to 75 players by Tuesday and to the final 53 by Saturday.

The other players released by the Jets were running back Chad Spann; offensive linemen Patrick Ford, Trey Gilleo and Stephen Peterman (who had been working as the first-team left guard); wide receivers Joe Collins, Marcus Rucker, K.J. Stroud and Rahsaan Vaughn; linebacker Sean Progar-Jackson; defensive backs Donnie Fletcher and Bret Lockett; punter Ryan Quigley; and long snapper Patrick Scales.

Peterman worked as the second-team center against the Giants, with Vladimir Ducasse starting at left guard and rookie Brian Winters replacing Ducasse after he suffered what appeared to be a minor leg injury. Winters had dealt with an ankle injury during camp, and Peterman overtook him for the No. 1 spot.

Peterman, 31, signed a one-year contract, with just $65,000 guaranteed (as a signing bonus), with the Jets in the offseason after spending seven years with Detroit. He was slotted to be one of two new starters on the Jets’ line, along with right guard Willie Colon.

Peterman looked fat and slow and is lousy at pass protection. I think - in his third season - Vlad may be coming around. At least he looks in shape and plays at a higher level than Peterman for sure. McKnight was a goner the minute Gates returned that kick 50-plus yards against Jax.

I think the Jets should pick someone up for the LG position, personally I do not feel comfortable with Vlad being responsible to keep our QB upright. Or maybe they'll go with Winters but based on the last preseason game I don't think he's ready , heard good things about him out of camp though.

So Ducasse is going to "get it" in the final year of his rookie deal, when we're rebuilding? So we burn a 2nd round pick and get nothing out of him while we're contenders (or could have been contenders or whatever).  Then when we're gutted he decides to turn the light on.  So now to keep him when he's actually useful, in a season that's not deep-6'd in the spring, it'll cost us a veteran/FA contract.  That's just peachy.

But who's going to return kicks?????

Who did it Saturday? McKnight didn't play and Gates was limited.  

Peterman looked fat and slow and is lousy at pass protection. I think - in his third season - Vlad may be coming around. At least he looks in shape and plays at a higher level than Peterman for sure. McKnight was a goner the minute Gates returned that kick 50-plus yards against Jax.

Trouble with Gates is that he also has a concussion history and is probably one of the top 3 WRs until Holmes comes back. 

Trouble with Gates is that he also has a concussion history and is probably one of the top 3 WRs until Holmes comes back. 

Agreed, Gates is probably most suitable but we cant risk him getting injured(which he has a history of) especially since he means so much to the thin receiving crop we have until tone comes back and even after that.

Wilson...who SUCKS at it!  

I was actually kidding and taking a jab at 80 who thought McKnight was an irreplaceable kick returner.  Gates will be the guy when he's full strength and Kerley will handle punts. 

Agreed, Gates is probably most suitable but we cant risk him getting injured(which he has a history of) especially since he means so much to the thin receiving crop we have until tone comes back and even after that.

Haha!  I'm the last guy that would say that we should keep guys off the field because we can't risk them getting injured. I was okay with Cro returning kicks.  If only he were better at it.  My point was that we need to have a suitable replacement for WHEN Gates gets hurt. 

I was actually kidding and taking a jab at 80 who thought McKnight was an irreplaceable kick returner.  Gates will be the guy when he's full strength and Kerley will handle punts. 

I know.  I want to know who they used Saturday because I don't think it was Gates.  Didn't see the game yet.  I will be watching them all next weekend. Kerley on punts?  Boo.  Let's get a guy that doesn't fair catch everything. 

I'm a little torn on the Peterman cut. On the downside, it's another failed veteran pickup by Idzik. But on the plus side, they saw that he wasn't working out and cut a brand new free agent pickup before the season started. That's something that never would've happened during the Bradway-Tannenbaum years.

Archived