Cheer up Jets fans- look at Buffalo's QB problems

faba

By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com

The Buffalo Bills plan on starting undrafted rookie quarterback Jeff Tuel in their regular-season opener if EJ Manuel cannot play, coach Doug Marrone said Monday. 

The Bills host the New England Patriots in their opener on Sept. 8.

If Tuel does indeed start for the Bills in Week 1, he will become the first undrafted rookie quarterback in the common draft era (since 1967) to start a season opener, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Manuel remains sidelined after undergoing a minor procedure on his left knee last week. Marrone said that while he hopes the 16th overall pick will be ready to play in Week 1, the team will make preparations for Tuel to start.

Tuel went 10-for-17 for 63 yards in Saturday's preseason loss to the Washington Redskins, replacing Kevin Kolb, who left with a concussion that now has him sidelined indefinitely.

The Bills are proceeding as though Kolb's concussion, which was termed "serious," could be career-ending, a league source told ESPN.

Kolb will undergo a battery of tests, and the Bills do not want to rush him back even if he can continue his career, the source said.

The Bills signed free-agent quarterback Matt Leinart and traded with the Detroit Lions for quarterback Thad Lewis on Sunday.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

Wow, that's insane.  Frankly, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see the Bills grab whichever of Simms or McElroy gets cut at the end of this week.  And that's not meant to be a compliment to either of those guys mind you.  Talk about an absolutely brutal situation to be in.

And to think, we thought it was bad when the Jets had to move onto Bollywood after week 1 in 2005 because Pennyboy and Fiedler both went down.

i kinda wish the Jets had Jeff Tuel. at least he's not running out the back of endzones or buttfumbling. Start Matt Simms! 

Lol, that was funny, JP Losman did that once too, ran out of the back of the endzone.

Yeah our QB situation is not good if Manuel isn't ready for Week 1. Not good at all. 

LOL

I know bit's endorsement of a player is the kiss of death, but does that work in reverse?  Should they start fitting Geno for his yellow blazer?

Doubt that, but if they let him play with Aboushi as left tackle, maybe a dark suit and head stone

Wow, that's insane.  Frankly, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see the Bills grab whichever of Simms or McElroy gets cut at the end of this week.  And that's not meant to be a compliment to either of those guys mind you.  Talk about an absolutely brutal situation to be in.

And to think, we thought it was bad when the Jets had to move onto Bollywood after week 1 in 2005 because Pennyboy and Fiedler both went down.

Thad Lewis is as good or better than Simms and/or McElroy.

I think we are overacting, Geno had a bad first start, but he's been pretty solid in camp. Lets see how he does against the Eagles.

Sucks for the Bills, with the Pats up first.

Pish tosh.  Jets fans overreact and be quick to label a player as sucking?  NEVER!!   :winking0001:

OK so would one of you youngsters explain what "G.O.A.T" means to your generation?  It seems to mean something positive.  If so, it meant something totally different to mine.

greatest of all time

of course Tom is using it ironically which is also a thing youngsters do. Im actually the worst of all time.

Since we are talking NY Jets football... 

The mistake this team made was not letting Rex Ryan declare Mark Sanchez a starter a week ago. It sucks but hey that's what pro teams do. The neverending Geno Smith experiment was dumb. And we are all dumber for having watched it. 

greatest of all time

of course Tom is using it ironically which is also a thing youngsters do. Im actually the worst of all time.

Since we are talking NY Jets football... 

The mistake this team made was not letting Rex Ryan declare Mark Sanchez a starter a week ago. It sucks but hey that's what pro teams do. The neverending Geno Smith experiment was dumb. And we are all dumber for having watched it. 

Thanks.  It's starting to look like you're right.

Archived