flgreen

Monday recap: What we learned

August, 26, 2013

Aug 26

8:23

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the sideline:

1. Mark Sanchez wins the QB competition: Rex Ryan didn't make the announcement, but he didn't have to. It became obvious Saturday night, when Geno Smith proved he isn't ready, and it was affirmed Monday with Ryan's non-answer on his quarterback plan. If Smith had won the job, it would've been easy to anoint him. But Ryan withheld his decision, pretending the competition still is ongoing. That's because his chosen starter -- Sanchez -- is banged up and may not be available for Week 1. Round and round we go.

2. Vladimir Ducasse is a starter -- finally: It took three years, but the former second-round pick has cracked the lineup at left guard. Ducasse, who appeared to be on his way to bust-dom, beat out veteran Stephen Peterman for the job. On Monday, the Jets released Peterman, all but confirming Ducasse's promotion. He's also listed with the starters on the team's latest depth chart. This isn't a season-long appointment; he will be pushed by third-round pick Brian Winters. Somewhere, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, Ducasse's most ardent supporter, is smiling.

3. Kenrick Ellis could get Pipp-ed before he starts a game: With Ellis nursing a bad back, second-year nose tackle Damon Harrison has stepped in nicely, earning lavish praise from Ryan. On Monday, Ryan opened his news conference with a video of Harrison and rookie receiver Ryan Spadola, highlighting their top plays from Saturday night. Harrison, who made the team last year as an undrafted rookie, made seven solo tackles, showing nice instincts, ball awareness and hustle. Ellis began camp as the presumptive starter on the nose, but he has missed two games and is in danger of losing the job to a man with the best nickname on the team -- Snacks.

Monday recap: What we learned

August, 26, 2013

Aug 26

8:23

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the sideline:

1. Mark Sanchez wins the QB competition: Rex Ryan didn't make the announcement, but he didn't have to. It became obvious Saturday night, when Geno Smith proved he isn't ready, and it was affirmed Monday with Ryan's non-answer on his quarterback plan. If Smith had won the job, it would've been easy to anoint him. But Ryan withheld his decision, pretending the competition still is ongoing. That's because his chosen starter -- Sanchez -- is banged up and may not be available for Week 1. Round and round we go.

2. Vladimir Ducasse is a starter -- finally: It took three years, but the former second-round pick has cracked the lineup at left guard. Ducasse, who appeared to be on his way to bust-dom, beat out veteran Stephen Peterman for the job. On Monday, the Jets released Peterman, all but confirming Ducasse's promotion. He's also listed with the starters on the team's latest depth chart. This isn't a season-long appointment; he will be pushed by third-round pick Brian Winters. Somewhere, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, Ducasse's most ardent supporter, is smiling.

3. Kenrick Ellis could get Pipp-ed before he starts a game: With Ellis nursing a bad back, second-year nose tackle Damon Harrison has stepped in nicely, earning lavish praise from Ryan. On Monday, Ryan opened his news conference with a video of Harrison and rookie receiver Ryan Spadola, highlighting their top plays from Saturday night. Harrison, who made the team last year as an undrafted rookie, made seven solo tackles, showing nice instincts, ball awareness and hustle. Ellis began camp as the presumptive starter on the nose, but he has missed two games and is in danger of losing the job to a man with the best nickname on the team -- Snacks.

Cimini, you're a total moron.  No such thing will happen.  Did you see the Jax game? If not, go look at it.  Harrison looked awful.  He was pushed around all over the field.

No Rich....What "We" learned, where "we" collectively refers to you and other beat journalists, is that if you don't keep your reporting somewhat grounded in real fact you are going to get blown the **** up on the national news. Consider that a shot across the bow

Cimini, you're a total moron.  No such thing will happen.  Did you see the Jax game? If not, go look at it.  Harrison looked awful.  He was pushed around all over the field.

He bounced back vs. the Giants.  He was all over the field.  Ellis didnt look great vs. the Lions either.  So, if anything, its nice to see Harrison turn it around and really elevate his level of play.

If Harrison is actually a player, the flexibility that Rex will have with this DL is going to be fun to watch.

damon harrison has been awesome at NT. the DL really could be awesome. even without Coples for a bit. 

I thought he did a decent job last year too with his limited opportunities.  This year he has indeed taken it to the next level.  Rex wasnt kidding when he got him some snacks.

He bounced back vs. the Giants.  He was all over the field.  Ellis didnt look great vs. the Lions either.  So, if anything, its nice to see Harrison turn it around and really elevate his level of play.

If Harrison is actually a player, the flexibility that Rex will have with this DL is going to be fun to watch.

That's the key right there, flexibility.  I think Rex has shown that, when it comes to the DL, he's not going to get too hung up on one of these guys needing to be the starter and get all the playing time.  If Ellis gets healthy, he's going to be more than happy to have two guys who he can rely on at NT and play based on match-ups, as well as in a rotation to keep each other fresh.  Wilkerson is pretty much the only guy he's not going to want to take off that field unless he absolutely has to (although Richardson looks like he could soon join that list).  Combine that with the ability to move guys around when switching to a 4-man line and this is definitely a "the more, the merrier" kind of situation than anything.  Here's hoping everyone gets healthy and they can all keep it up.

On the bit about Rex not saying who the starting Qb is...

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true.  That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?...  That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field.  By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

But that's not what he said, or is still saying as of yesterday.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things.  The first is evident, and painful.  he does not know how to manage the Qb position.  The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things.  He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way.  Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers.  But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan.  I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season.  That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means.  But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team.  It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

This reads to me like Cimini sees the backlash directed at Mehta's sensationalist crap and is just lobbing up a fluff piece to make sure he doesn't draw any of the same ire.

Good ol' Rich, once a coward always a coward. He's the noodle arm of the beat writers for sure.

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true. That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?... That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field. By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things. The first is evident, and painful. he does not know how to manage the Qb position. The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things. He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way. Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers. But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan. I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season. That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means. But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team. It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

welcome aboard. I'm not sure about the rest of your points, but I think you're right in that Rex doesn't always see tge big picture and leads to these huge blunders, like the one Saturday.

If he was the Rex Ryan who came here in 2009, he would have said what we all know to be true.  That Smith is still learning and hopefully will get better real soon, but now?...  That Mark earned the job by standing on the sideline watching Smith turn the ball over and look like he didn't know where he was on the field.  By saying despite that they may have to start Smith because Ryan put Sanchez in the game by doubling down on the opportunity to make fans see him win the game, and the starting job, instead of merely winning it by default.

I fear this is a classic case of Rex doing two things.  The first is evident, and painful.  he does not know how to manage the Qb position.  The second is that he doubled down because he's in a win now situation, and feels he has to gamble, that he does not have confidence in his own situation to take a more high percentage approach.

Rex was afraid of the Smith fans who would boo him if he merely did the smart thing, which was really one of two things.  He could have taken Smith out after halftime and let Sanchez play behind the first string line and try and win the game that way.  Or he could have taken Smith out later and replaced him with Simms, to play with the second stringers.  But he did neither.

I am new poster here, so to mention my background I am far from a Sanchez fan.  I thought the Jets should have never extended him last off season, and should have done all they could to move him, including cut him, this off season.  That doesn't mean I was right about the last part, but I am not a Sanchez fan by any means.  But right now he is a better option than Smith, and Rex needlessly put him out there behind second and third stringers, up against Giant players desperate to make their team.  It was not big picture coaching, and he compounded the whole problem by not being the up front Rex Ryan he was when he first got here.

Rex had no power in this qb situation. John Idzik told the media two months ago he'd have the final say on QB issues. all of this BS about giving Geno a special extra chance to win the job is all Idzik. If it was up to Rex he'd have declared Mark the starter 2 weeks ago. Because despite everyone's hopes to the contrary, Mark earned it in OTA, camp and the games. And the giants game showed us all why Geno is actually worse than Mark right now. Anyone who is holding out hope for Geno to be better than Mark this year either didn't see the game or is living in denial. 

the blunder of putting in Mark is a Head coach trying to give Mark the reps he should have had behind the first team. If Rex made a mistake it wasn't in putting Mark in late. It was not putting his foot down and putting Mark in with the first team, where he belonged.

Hey, Manish, stop making things up.

Idzik undercut the HC in public. and this rigged QB "competition" is proof

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22921779/jets-gm-john-idzik-on-picking-starting-qb-ill-have-a-big-role

So remember, if the Jets starting quarterback struggles this year, don't just blame Ryan. You can also blame Idzik, the offensive staff and the team's scouts.

Rex had no power in this qb situation. John Idzik told the media two months ago he'd have the final say on QB issues. all of this BS about giving Geno a special extra chance to win the job is all Idzik. If it was up to Rex he'd have declared Mark the starter 2 weeks ago. Because despite everyone's hopes to the contrary, Mark earned it in OTA, camp and the games. And the giants game showed us all why Geno is actually worse than Mark right now. Anyone who is holding out hope for Geno to be better than Mark this year either didn't see the game or is living in denial. 

the blunder of putting in Mark is a Head coach trying to give Mark the reps he should have had behind the first team. If Rex made a mistake it wasn't in putting Mark in late. It was not putting his foot down and putting Mark in with the first team, where he belonged.

First of all I doubt Idzik told Rex WHEN to put Sanchez in, or even that Sanchez had to play at all in this game.  Saying, which I do believe is the case, that It is not Rex's sole decision who is the starting Qb is obviously correct, but I don't think Rex could or even should have said who the starter was going to be in that post game presser since at that point he did not know whether MS would be able to play opening day.

But even if Idzik said we need to see MS in the Giant game, I cannot believe he would have said "and I want' to see him behind the second an third stringers."  That had to be on Rex, and that pure and simply was bad coaching.  And not only that it shows a willingness to gamble that has to concern all of us.

First of all I doubt Idzik told Rex WHEN to put Sanchez in, or even that Sanchez had to play at all in this game.  Saying, which I do believe is the case, that It is not Rex's sole decision who is the starting Qb is obviously correct, but I don't think Rex could or even should have said who the starter was going to be in that post game presser since at that point he did not know whether MS would be able to play opening day.

But even if Idzik said we need to see MS in the Giant game, I cannot believe he would have said "and I want' to see him behind the second an third stringers."  That had to be on Rex, and that pure and simply was bad coaching.  And not only that it shows a willingness to gamble that has to concern all of us.

I agree with that statement. Idzik didn't tell Rex to put Mark in 4th quarter. But he did tell him to play Geno in quarters 1-3. Rex should have put his foot down and said I pick the starters, you pick the players and if you don't like it, pay my salary while I sit on the couch. that's Rex's mistake, not being more assertive. Putting Mark in is an attempt to get his likely starter reps. Let's be real Sanchez isn't Andrew Luck they don't have to wrap him in cotton wool because he's so valuable. But no Rex isn't blameless he needed to put an end to this terrible pointless endless QB competition. WHich apparently is still going on. 

Yes he did.  Cimini made it sound like Harrison had been great in every preseason game and was blowing Ellis away.  I was just making the point that that was not true.

Bit, bit, bit...c'mon guy you know that isn't accurate.  He said he'd have a voice or maybe a good amount of input,but didn't say that he'd have "final say."  He said that it was a collaborative "we" decision.

We all know that if it was up to Rex, Geno could have been the second coming of RGIII, Andrew Luck and/or Russell Wilson, and he'd still have named Sanchez the starter at the beginning of OTAs and there would never have been a competition.  That's not wise.  Idzik was trying to guard against that.  He wanted to push Sanchez and have the best QB possible starting.  Sure he has a vested interest in Geno starting, but hopefully he has enough sense to realize that it would be detrimental to both Geno and the team to throw Geno to the wolves if he isn't ready.  The mantra he brought to the team was competition.  That mantra would have been a farce, particularly with Sanchez' past play, if that competition didn't include the QB position.

I'm not gonna claim that you have an anti-Idzik agenda, but if not, then imo you aren't thinking clearly for whatever reason.  If it was gonna be a true competition, then they needed to see what Geno could do with the rest of the starters in live preseason game action.  Just because he missed the Jax game shouldn't have meant the competition was over.  If the Jets were expected to challenge for the Lombardi Trophy this season, then that would have been another matter.  In that situation, the competition would have been over the minute Geno got hurt so that Sanchez could have gotten the reps in the final tuneup for the regular season (vs the Giants).  But with this being a rebuilding year and the team having low expectations, "normal" procedures can be set aside.  There was no harm in letting Geno start vs the Giants, and if he showed that he was ready, it could have helped the team a lot.  There was no need for Sanchez to even play vs the Giants.  The few snaps he would have gotten would make little real difference in his or the team's preparation for the season.  He has timing down with the receivers (as much as he's going to with his lack of accuracy and lack of poise in the pocket).  He and most of the offense are used to playing/practicing together, so your comments that Sanchez needed to play vs the Giants are just silly imo.

As far as "ordering Rex to play Geno in quarters 1-3" that was to give Geno and the team a fair opportunity, and to give a truer picture of whether Geno was ready to start or not.  In a normal situation you wouldn't want a GM telling the HC who to start or play, but this isn't a "normal" situation.  Rex has clearly shown over the years that he plays his guys regardless of how poorly they play, doesn't hold them accountable, and doesn't give others a chance to play.  It also seems pretty clear that he's not a very good judge of talent, especially on the offensive side.  Idzik's trying to do what's best for the team.  Idzik needs to find out which of the young players are keepers and who can help the team going forward.  If Rex doesn't give them a chance, if he just picks the players he likes and sticks with them,  Idzik wouldn't know what he needs to know to make informed decisions next off season.   

Rex is trying to keep his job (or set himself up for another) and doesn't really care about the team beyond this year.  He has a vested interest in playing the guys that he thinks give him the best chance to win and retain his job.  We also don't know what info Idzik has or what conversations have taken place between then that affect this situation and Idzik's handling of the situation.  There could be very compelling reasons for Idzik to have made the decisions he has.

Bit, bit, bit...c'mon guy you know that isn't accurate.  He said he'd have a voice or maybe a good amount of input,but didn't say that he'd have "final say."  He said that it was a collaborative "we" decision.

We all know that if it was up to Rex, Geno could have been the second coming of RGIII, Andrew Luck and/or Russell Wilson, and he'd still have named Sanchez the starter at the beginning of OTAs and there would never have been a competition.  That's not wise.  Idzik was trying to guard against that.  He wanted to push Sanchez and have the best QB possible starting.  Sure he has a vested interest in Geno starting, but hopefully he has enough sense to realize that it would be detrimental to both Geno and the team to throw Geno to the wolves if he isn't ready.  The mantra he brought to the team was competition.  That mantra would have been a farce, particularly with Sanchez' past play, if that competition didn't include the QB position.

I'm not gonna claim that you have an anti-Idzik agenda, but if not, then imo you aren't thinking clearly for whatever reason.  If it was gonna be a true competition, then they needed to see what Geno could do with the rest of the starters in live preseason game action.  Just because he missed the Jax game shouldn't have meant the competition was over.  If the Jets were expected to challenge for the Lombardi Trophy this season, then that would have been another matter.  In that situation, the competition would have been over the minute Geno got hurt so that Sanchez could have gotten the reps in the final tuneup for the regular season (vs the Giants).  But with this being a rebuilding year and the team having low expectations, "normal" procedures can be set aside.  There was no harm in letting Geno start vs the Giants, and if he showed that he was ready, it could have helped the team a lot.  There was no need for Sanchez to even play vs the Giants.  The few snaps he would have gotten would make little real difference in his or the team's preparation for the season.  He has timing down with the receivers (as much as he's going to with his lack of accuracy and lack of poise in the pocket).  He and most of the offense are used to playing/practicing together, so your comments that Sanchez needed to play vs the Giants are just silly imo.

As far as "ordering Rex to play Geno in quarters 1-3" that was to give Geno and the team a fair opportunity, and to give a truer picture of whether Geno was ready to start or not.  In a normal situation you wouldn't want a GM telling the HC who to start or play, but this isn't a "normal" situation.  Rex has clearly shown over the years that he plays his guys regardless of how poorly they play, doesn't hold them accountable, and doesn't give others a chance to play.  It also seems pretty clear that he's not a very good judge of talent, especially on the offensive side.  Idzik's trying to do what's best for the team.  Idzik needs to find out which of the young players are keepers and who can help the team going forward.  If Rex doesn't give them a chance, if he just picks the players he likes and sticks with them,  Idzik wouldn't know what he needs to know to make informed decisions next off season.   

Rex is trying to keep his job (or set himself up for another) and doesn't really care about the team beyond this year.  He has a vested interest in playing the guys that he thinks give him the best chance to win and retain his job.  We also don't know what info Idzik has or what conversations have taken place between then that affect this situation and Idzik's handling of the situation.  There could be very compelling reasons for Idzik to have made the decisions he has.

if the next head coach is an offensive mind, and Idzik drafts a safety in round 2, is it up to the coach or Idzik whether the draft pick starts?  this is an important question, where are the bounds?

you say it's ok for Idzik to overstep his bounds because Rex sucks. but will do it again with a new coach? 

Anytime a HC or GM tries to do the other's job is a mess. Usually it's guys like Andy Reid or Mike Shanahan running the GM chair from the headset. But it can go the other way, and it's usually an meddlesome owner/GM like Jerry Jones. What Idzik is doing now with this Geno situation isn't much different. 

if the next head coach is an offensive mind, and Idzik drafts a safety in round 2, is it up to the coach or Idzik whether the draft pick starts?  this is an important question, where are the bounds?

you say it's ok for Idzik to overstep his bounds because Rex sucks. but will do it again with a new coach? 

Anytime a HC or GM tries to do the other's job is a mess. Usually it's guys like Andy Reid or Mike Shanahan running the GM chair from the headset. But it can go the other way, and it's usually an meddlesome owner/GM like Jerry Jones. What Idzik is doing now with this Geno situation isn't much different. 

To begin with, step off the ledge.  You seem so overwrought.

Secondly, NONE of us knows what goes on behind the scenes with NFL teams.  We don't know how much input most HCs have into the draft or how much input GMs have into who starts or makes the roster.  That could vary wildly/widely from team-to-team depending upon the experience and power of the GM and/or HC and the success (or lack thereof) that each has had.  There may be many teams where the GM has had a strong say in who the starting QB should be.  QB is the most important position on the team.  GMs have a vested interest in seeing the QBs they pick succeed.  We know that both Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder had a LOT of input in whom the team drafted, traded for, signed as FAs and who started.  Jones has at least won a couple of SBs (or at least one) and had some success.  Snyder not so much.  No two situations are alike, and there's not NFL guidebook that all teams are forced to adhere to with regard to position descriptions and who does what.

There is no reason to expect that with a new HC that Idzik hand picked and didn't have forced upon him (a HC that I might add has a track record of having and playing favorites and not holding them accountable when they suck) that he would tell that HC who to start.  This is a unique and awkward situation.  I think that if Idzik had had his way, Rex wouldn't be the HC of the team now.  The only scenario in which I could see him choosing to keep Rex this year was if he didn't think he'd be able to get who he wanted this year either due to contractual issues or due to the lousy QB situation and no cap space.  He may have decided it was best to just make do the best he could this year with Rex while he's rebuilding the roster and changing the atmosphere, then bring in someone he trusts and respects next season.

The only scenarios that I could see where Idzik's having input into who starts for the Jets at QB this year being a problem are as follows:

1) Idzik is a control freak on the order of Mangini and we just don't know it yet.  He thus continually tells his HC who to start. (I don't see that happening.)

2) Head coaching candidates next season fear that Idzik will interfere with their decisions and decline to be interviewed for the Jets' HC opening.

3) He forces them to start Geno because he knows that Sanchez sucks, that the fanbase will rebel if Sanchez starts, and because he's impatient.  He could allow his desires to replace Sanchez and see Geno succeed to overwhelm what his eyes and common sense tell him...i.e., that Geno isn't ready and it would be detrimental to him and his future to throw him to the wolves now.

If any of those things happen, then I'll agree with you, but unless or until they do, he's "innocent until proven guilty" and gets the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of which, has anyone had an Antonio Garay sighting?   This guy was all kinds of hyped when the Jets first signed him.  I think he has one tackle in 3 games. 

The only scenarios that I could see where Idzik's having input into who starts for the Jets at QB this year being a problem are as follows:

1) Idzik is a control freak on the order of Mangini and we just don't know it yet.  He thus continually tells his HC who to start. (I don't see that happening.)

2) Head coaching candidates next season fear that Idzik will interfere with their decisions and decline to be interviewed for the Jets' HC opening.

3) He forces them to start Geno because he knows that Sanchez sucks, that the fanbase will rebel if Sanchez starts, and because he's impatient.  He could allow his desires to replace Sanchez and see Geno succeed to overwhelm what his eyes and common sense tell him...i.e., that Geno isn't ready and it would be detrimental to him and his future to throw him to the wolves now.

If any of those things happen, then I'll agree with you, but unless or until they do, he's "innocent until proven guilty" and gets the benefit of the doubt.

ill bookmark this thread then. 2 already is in progress.

you all are giving this guy too much benefit of doubt. He signed about 10 free agents, half of which are absolute trash. Oh don't worry there's gonna be more cap space next year and he will do a better job. He forced Rex to play Geno, oh don't worry the next guy will be smarter than Rex and he won't have to interfere as much. We don't have to wait until next year to evaluate idzik. We can just look at highlights of Dewan Landry choking on David Wilson's dust. Oh don't worry there will be more cap space next year so Idzik will sign a safety who can run faster than 4.8. the only sure good thing Idzik so far has done is draft Sheldon Richardson. Almost all his other moves have washed out. 

Speaking of which, has anyone had an Antonio Garay sighting?   This guy was all kinds of hyped when the Jets first signed him.  I think he has one tackle in 3 games. 

sorry we can't evaluate Idzik until Rex is fired and Geno learns the dimensions of an endzone. It wouldn't be fair. 

sorry we can't evaluate Idzik until Rex is fired and Geno learns the dimensions of an endzone. It wouldn't be fair. 

And this has to do with Antonio Garay, How?

Edit:  Oh never mind I see what you were doing.  ...................................................I think

Archived