Mafia forum Jets/NFL/Fantasy football talk

AVM

Hey kids, how's it going?  I was wandering around the board in boredom, so figured I'd join the party.  Here was my first draft, it's a 12 team league:

1.     (7)     Doug Martin (TB - RB)

2.     (18)     Jimmy Graham (NO - TE)

3.     (31)     David Wilson (NYG - RB)

4.     (42)     Matt Ryan (Atl - QB)

5.     (55)     Jordy Nelson (GB - WR)

6.     (66)     Antonio Brown (Pit - WR)

7.     (79)     Andre Brown (NYG - RB)

8.     (90)     Mark Ingram (NO - RB)

9.     (103)     Shane Vereen (NE - RB)

10.     (114)     Emmanuel Sanders (Pit - WR)

11.     (127)     Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)

12.     (138)     Jacquizz Rodgers (Atl - RB)

13.     (151)     Andre Roberts (Ari - WR)

14.     (162)     New York (NYJ - DEF)

15.     (175)     Adam Vinatieri (Ind - K)

I would usually never go TE that high but the top of this draft was a complete sh*t show and everyone I was looking at went flying off the board in the picks right before I was up and I felt like everyone else I liked was too much of a reach at that point.  At least it's a guy that, barring injury, I could play all season long and never have to worry about again.  I generally liked the top half of my draft, but can freely admit things took a big downturn in the second half.

WR didn't work out great because, while I'm fine with my starters, I know my backups are a mess, particularly since I completely blanked out when I made that Sanders pick and managed to double-up on friggin' Steelers WRs.  That said, I've never been one to go too high on WRs because it's the position I've always had the greatest success of grabbing in FA and working with match-ups.  Health permitting, I should be ok with Nelson and Brown until their byes.  Andre Brown got hurt about 15 minutes after that pick, which was just fantastic, as I had taken him to cover my ass in case Wilson didn't work out.  Oh well.

Bad luck with Brown, but he'll be back at least and Wilson's ranking jumps up because of it.  I would be nervous about Nelson's health, but you could do worse.  I actually like Roberts as a late round guy too...Palmer may suck IRL, but he helps WR's put up some nice fantasy numbers.  Fitz will be the biggest benefactor obviously, but I think a guy like Roberts succeeds this year too.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys I'm happy I wanted in all of my leagues and didn't end up with in any of my drafts: David Wilson, Shave Vereen

Guys I wanted because I knew they were WAY undervalued and didn't end up with: Reggie Bush

Otherwise my teams are performing about where I expected them to. Went 2/3 this weekend and lost because I drafted Janikowski instead of Garrett Hartley (the story here is I was remote, and I asked if Hartley was still available and got told "no", so I said "gimme seabass" and after the fact, when commish posted the teams, I didn't bother trying to have it undone - I lost by 5. Seabass had 6, Hartley had 12.)

So much negativity on the main forum.  Don't really get it.  I get that being Jets fans we're miserable, but last night I was pretty proud of the team's effort.  2 weeks ago we were going 4-12.  Now we're in "OMG WE SUCK FIRE REX" mode?  Makes no sense.

You're surprised? lol

That's how it is now.  Lots of positives to take away from this week -- Ivory and Powell looked to have some life on limited touches, Vlad looked good (gasp) and the defense had lots of positives.  I understand that if not for bad drops the D doesn't look as good but same goes for the Pats D.  You could feasibly make an argument if there weren't drops Geno wouldn't be in the position to make those bad throws down the stretch, so it goes both ways.

Not that most of the fanbase (or at least internet fanbase) see's it that way, but meh.  Looking forward to see if Geno can recover next week.

Can we all just make fun of Darthe?

Has it been so long you don't know who you're talking to anymore?

I bet if we tried we could speed lynch Darthe without even playing a game.

I could use some advice in my big money league this week.  These are my locked in starters:

Peyton vs OAK

Spiller @ Jets

Dwayne Bowe @ PHI

Tavon Austin @ DAL

Gronk vs. TB (word is he's gonna go.  If not I have Coby Fleener ready to plug in)

Bills D @ Jets

Zeurlein @ DAL

I'm pretty wide open on my RB2 and Flex spots.  These are my options, from which I can start 1 RB and 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE):

MJD @ SEA

Reggie Bush @ WSH

Joique Bell @ WSH

Cecil Shorts @ SEA

Coby Fleener @ SF

Andre Roberts @ NO

Marlon Brown vs HOU

Bryce Brown vs KC

Right now, I have both Reggie Bush and Joique Bell in there.  Against a bad Redskins D, I figure there are enough pts to go around, and if Reggie aggravates his injury in the game, I'll at least have Joique in there to lessen the blow a little.

MJD is banged up and facing the top run D, but he's still MJD.  Shorts is facing Richard Sherman so there's no upside there.  Rolling with 2 TE's is intriguing but also has a capped upside.  I like Andre Roberts and Marlon Brown but Roberts is a possession receiver and Brown's value has been TD-driven, which never works out in the long run.

Thoughts?

I could use some advice in my big money league this week.  These are my locked in starters:

Peyton vs OAK

Spiller @ Jets

Dwayne Bowe @ PHI

Tavon Austin @ DAL

Gronk vs. TB (word is he's gonna go.  If not I have Coby Fleener ready to plug in)

Bills D @ Jets

Zeurlein @ DAL

I'm pretty wide open on my RB2 and Flex spots.  These are my options, from which I can start 1 RB and 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE):

MJD @ SEA

Reggie Bush @ WSH

Joique Bell @ WSH

Cecil Shorts @ SEA

Coby Fleener @ SF

Andre Roberts @ NO

Marlon Brown vs HOU

Bryce Brown vs KC

Right now, I have both Reggie Bush and Joique Bell in there.  Against a bad Redskins D, I figure there are enough pts to go around, and if Reggie aggravates his injury in the game, I'll at least have Joique in there to lessen the blow a little.

MJD is banged up and facing the top run D, but he's still MJD.  Shorts is facing Richard Sherman so there's no upside there.  Rolling with 2 TE's is intriguing but also has a capped upside.  I like Andre Roberts and Marlon Brown but Roberts is a possession receiver and Brown's value has been TD-driven, which never works out in the long run.

Thoughts?

I'd like to play GTA V. It looks pretty fun.

Peyton vs OAK

Spiller @ Jets

Dwayne Bowe @ PHI

Tavon Austin @ DAL

Bills D @ Jets

Zeurlein @ DAL

MJD @ SEA

Reggie Bush @ WSH

Joique Bell @ WSH

Cecil Shorts @ SEA

Coby Fleener @ SF

Andre Roberts @ NO

Marlon Brown vs HOU

Bryce Brown vs KC

Thoughts?

I'm starting Bell regardless this weekend.  I rather agree on TE (even though Allen is done for the year), but it depends on your opponent.  Do you need to hit a homerun or just steady production?

I think Roberts is probably the best guaranteed points you can get.  Definitely not starting MJD or Shorts....so it depends if you want to go big with Reggie or get the near-guaranteed points.  I always hate starting two RB's, but Reggie and Bell have both done well to start the year and Washington is just awful.  I'd wait and see how he progresses in practice before making the decision either way.

I'm starting Bell regardless this weekend.  I rather agree on TE (even though Allen is done for the year), but it depends on your opponent.  Do you need to hit a homerun or just steady production?

I think Roberts is probably the best guaranteed points you can get.  Definitely not starting MJD or Shorts....so it depends if you want to go big with Reggie or get the near-guaranteed points.  I always hate starting two RB's, but Reggie and Bell have both done well to start the year and Washington is just awful.  I'd wait and see how he progresses in practice before making the decision either way.

I think I want the homerun week.  I'm going against a close buddy of mine and want to blow him out, lol.  I'm 2-0 entering the week but I'm way low on points. 

Generally, my philosophy is to start a boom or bust guy in the Flex at least.  That was originally going to be Tavon Austin but he's slipped in as my WR2 now that I'm benching Shorts.  Joique has already shown he can put up 20 and could do it again, particularly if Bush gets hurt or can't go.

If Bush gets ruled out for the game I'll probably have no choice but to put MJD in there. 

Peyton vs OAK

Spiller @ Jets

Dwayne Bowe @ PHI

Tavon Austin @ DAL

Bills D @ Jets

Zeurlein @ DAL

MJD @ SEA

Reggie Bush @ WSH

Joique Bell @ WSH

Cecil Shorts @ SEA

Coby Fleener @ SF

Andre Roberts @ NO

Marlon Brown vs HOU

Bryce Brown vs KC

Thoughts?

You will need to monitor the news...I'm liking Bell this week as the Lions may choose to limit Reggie.  MJD is a terrible play IMO.  Already benched him in one of my leagues.  Seahawks too tough and the Jags we'll be behind early.  Expect Shorts to get the majority of targets even though Sherman will play him.  Roberts has been getting plenty of touches as well.

Just made 2 trade offers in my big money league.  I have Peyton as my QB and Vick is my backup, so I'm looking to move Vick before he gets hurt, and I need WR help (Bowe, Tavon Austin, Cecil Shorts are my trio):

OFFER 1

Vick

Reggie Bush

FOR

Brandon Marshall

Daryl Richardson

OFFER 2

Vick

Willis McGahee

FOR

Hakeem Nicks

David Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got rid of Vick.  Dealt him straight up for Marques Colston.  As much as he's been struggling he'll now be my best receiver, sad as that is.

My team once the deal goes through:

QB:  Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson (pending a waiver claim; dropping Terrelle Pryor to get him)

RB:  Reggie Bush, MJD, Spiller, Joique Bell, McGahee

WR:  Colston, Cecil Shorts, Dwayne Bowe, Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon

TE:  Gronk, Kellen Winslow

D/ST:  Ravens (I play the matchups each week)

K:  Zeurlein

lol, just made another deal.  Traded Reggie Bush and Cecil Shorts to acquire Brandon Marshall and Alfred Morris!  Dude's an idiot.

My team now:

QB:  Manning, Wilson

RB:  Morris, MJD, Spiller, Joique, McGahee

WR:  Marshall, Colston, Bowe, Tavon, Blackmon

TE:  Gronk, Winslow

D/K:  whatever (week to week)

I love it.

Not sure if you guys are interested in FanDuel but CobraVerde has been creating a JN league each week this season.  I placed third last week.  Two dollar entry.  Try it out if interested or ask if you have any questions.

https://www.fanduel.com/e/Game/NFL_Salary_Cap_8779/view?tableId=2593556&tableHash=2f84f6aacd9e06babc9c6b975d25f26d

lol, just made another deal.  Traded Reggie Bush and Cecil Shorts to acquire Brandon Marshall and Alfred Morris!  Dude's an idiot.

My team now:

QB:  Manning, Wilson

RB:  Morris, MJD, Spiller, Joique, McGahee

WR:  Marshall, Colston, Bowe, Tavon, Blackmon

TE:  Gronk, Winslow

D/K:  whatever (week to week)

I love it.

Very nice, and Manning on his own should nearly guarantees you a win every week.  I'm going up against teams with him in both of my leagues this week, so that's gonna suck.  My ESPN league has been a complete disaster, I'm sporting every single player who has either been hurt or been amongst the biggest disappointments this season.  One week I had 4 of my starters knocked out of their games.  I've completely torn apart and rebuilt the roster with a few exceptions, so we'll see how this goes.

In my other league, it's pretty much a one-man show of Jimmy Graham, who is just freakin' ridiculous.  The rest of my team is fine, don't get me wrong, but he's seriously putting up QB-like fantasy numbers on a weekly basis, it's insane.  He alone gives me a chance every week.  I'll tell you what, that's going to become one very, very rich man after this season.

Very nice, and Manning on his own should nearly guarantees you a win every week.  I'm going up against teams with him in both of my leagues this week, so that's gonna suck.  My ESPN league has been a complete disaster, I'm sporting every single player who has either been hurt or been amongst the biggest disappointments this season.  One week I had 4 of my starters knocked out of their games.  I've completely torn apart and rebuilt the roster with a few exceptions, so we'll see how this goes.

In my other league, it's pretty much a one-man show of Jimmy Graham, who is just freakin' ridiculous.  The rest of my team is fine, don't get me wrong, but he's seriously putting up QB-like fantasy numbers on a weekly basis, it's insane.  He alone gives me a chance every week.  I'll tell you what, that's going to become one very, very rich man after this season.

Yeah man, Graham is insane.  One guy in my league has Charles, Shady AND Graham.  Not sure how any of us are gonna beat him, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in 3 leagues this year. I'm making the playoffs in all 3.

I'm the highest scoring, most wins, #1 seed in my top $$$ league (for the 3rd time in 4 years, the other time I was the #2 seed).

I'm the 2nd highest scoring (-8 behind the leader), potentially #1 or #2 seed, in my second league.

I'm the highest scoring team, #3 seed in my third league.

Only players I have on multiple teams are Jordan Cameron, Keenan Allen and Zac Stacy. The latter 2 I picked up both of them 1-2 weeks BEFORE they blew up and became every week players.

Trying not to sound boastful - because it's bad luck - but this has been one of the best seasons I've had. My baby girl is a good luck charm!!!! 

I am in 3 leagues this year. I'm making the playoffs in all 3.

I'm the highest scoring, most wins, #1 seed in my top $$$ league (for the 3rd time in 4 years, the other time I was the #2 seed).

I'm the 2nd highest scoring (-8 behind the leader), potentially #1 or #2 seed, in my second league.

I'm the highest scoring team, #3 seed in my third league.

Only players I have on multiple teams are Jordan Cameron, Keenan Allen and Zac Stacy. The latter 2 I picked up both of them 1-2 weeks BEFORE they blew up and became every week players.

Trying not to sound boastful - because it's bad luck - but this has been one of the best seasons I've had. My baby girl is a good luck charm!!!! 

You're happy you've done well, I wouldn't call it boastful.  I'm top 3 in scoring in all three of my leagues, will only make playoffs in one.  

In the most notable league I have a minimum of 221 points scored against me more than all playoff teams.  Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

And see, I'd much rather read your success than read some whine that they got the shaft in fantasy football (even when it's me)

Archived