Jets sign Graham Harrell

T0mShane

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think we agree on that but the Jets should be more concerned about injury to Mangold (or how about Colon) than an injury to Geno. Play Geno but rest the first team OL. 

Get one series in with the first team...I mean if someone gets hurt its football. Expectations are clearly low anyways.

Obviously this is all dependent on Geno being the starter week 1. If they know Sanchez will be ready- let Geno ride with the twos. Not having him play period is ridiculous.

No he doesn't.  The last thing the Jets should do is risk him to injury by playing him behind a backup OL, and as several posters have pointed out, it would also be a disaster to get Mangold or Brick hurt playing to protect Geno. It's a meaningless preseason game.  The bag boys and UPS truck drivers will be flying around trying to impress someone.

Geno needs to be focusing solely on his fundamentals at this point and not thinking about playing.  I'm hoping that either Sanchez will be well or they'll start McElroy vs Tampa.

If the starters play, the starters play.  They won't play Smith a series with backup linemen, so that is a moot point.  At this point in his career, nothing is meaningless.  You can't just concentrate on fundamentals and expect to be ready when there's live ammo.  Be a man. It's football.  The QB already wears a dress, now he has to stay on the sidelines in it until prom night?

McElroy cut,  Harrell to PS if he shows anything

Neither.  They will keep at least 4 for the first week if Sanchez is hurt.  They can probably get away with waiving McElroy if he is hurt and resign him later.  Then they can move one to the practice squad once Sanchez is healthy.  I don't think they want to go into a game with only Geno and Simms on roster and physically able to play.

There is no way that you let go of Simms. Right now, given the physical tools of all the QBs on the roster, Simms is by far the one with the highest ceiling. Harrell looks to be in a similar mold as McElroy. While Harrell may be better than McElroy...he is certainly not better than Geno or Simms.

If Simms gets cut, there will be mass outrage.

I don't give a flaming **** about mass outrage.  Simms isn't getting cut because he is one of only two healthy QBs that have been on roster more than 24 hours.

It does if you had a clue what you're talking about.  If you understand anything about educational philosophy or pedagogy, and what it involves to change muscle memory.  Clearly you don't.

Muscle memory?  Guys get nervous when they are getting punched in the mouth.  You don't get used to that wearing a red jersey.

If the starters play, the starters play.  They won't play Smith a series with backup linemen, so that is a moot point.  At this point in his career, nothing is meaningless.  You can't just concentrate on fundamentals and expect to be ready when there's live ammo.  Be a man. It's football.  The QB already wears a dress, now he has to stay on the sidelines in it until prom night?

Neither.  They will keep at least 4 for the first week if Sanchez is hurt.  They can probably get away with waiving McElroy if he is hurt and resign him later.  Then they can move one to the practice squad once Sanchez is healthy.  I don't think they want to go into a game with only Geno and Simms on roster and physically able to play.

I don't give a flaming **** about mass outrage.  Simms isn't getting cut because he is one of only two healthy QBs that have been on roster more than 24 hours.

Muscle memory?  Guys get nervous when they are getting punched in the mouth.  You don't get used to that wearing a red jersey.

Bold #1 - Sorry, but this is just plain ignorant and stupid.  No, just concentrating on fundamentals won't solely get him ready to play, but the point is that they shouldn't even be thinking of playing him at this point.  He needs to fix his fundamentals so he's free to focus on more important things.  When you're struggling with fundamentals, you can't give your full attention to those more important things and it affects your confidence and leadership.  It has nothing to do with being a "man" and has more to do with being intelligent and understanding how people learn and develop.

Once his fundamentals are sound, then he can get all the practice reps and get used to getting punched in the mouth, get his timing down and all else that goes into getting ready to play.  You can't (or shouldn't) put the cart before the horse.

No he doesn't.  The last thing the Jets should do is risk him to injury by playing him behind a backup OL, and as several posters have pointed out, it would also be a disaster to get Mangold or Brick hurt playing to protect Geno. It's a meaningless preseason game.  The bag boys and UPS truck drivers will be flying around trying to impress someone.

Geno needs to be focusing solely on his fundamentals at this point and not thinking about playing.  I'm hoping that either Sanchez will be well or they'll start McElroy vs Tampa.

I'm hoping McElroy gets cut Saturday. 

I'm hoping McElroy gets cut Saturday. 

With the injury, they might,or they might put him on IR.  Guess it depends on how severe the injury is and what they think of him vs Simms vs Harrell and how long it will take Geno to get ready.  It'll be interesting that's for sure.

Bold #1 - Sorry, but this is just plain ignorant and stupid.  No, just concentrating on fundamentals won't solely get him ready to play, but the point is that they shouldn't even be thinking of playing him at this point.  He needs to fix his fundamentals so he's free to focus on more important things.  When you're struggling with fundamentals, you can't give your full attention to those more important things and it affects your confidence and leadership.  It has nothing to do with being a "man" and has more to do with being intelligent and understanding how people learn and develop.

Once his fundamentals are sound, then he can get all the practice reps and get used to getting punched in the mouth, get his timing down and all else that goes into getting ready to play.  You can't (or shouldn't) put the cart before the horse.

Yep.  I am ignorant and stupid of education and human nature. LOL.  I don't write LOL lightly because it's a little gay even for me, but LOL.  Hasn't anybody ever successful learned on the job?  Is he going to learn fundamentals IN ONE ******* WEEK and be ready to start the season?  He is probably going to have to face live fire against the Bucs because Sanchez is hurt, so your plan is to put him in swaddling clothes and let him concentrate on fundamentals on the sidelines until the big day? This team doesn't have Favre.  We don't have that luxury.  He's a second round pick, not the ******* Mona Lisa. 

With the injury, they might,or they might put him on IR.  Guess it depends on how severe the injury is and what they think of him vs Simms vs Harrell and how long it will take Geno to get ready.  It'll be interesting that's for sure.

You don't keep McElroy, Simms and Harrell. If anything you keep one on the roster and put one on the practice squad. I'm pretty sure McElroy is not eligible for the practice squad, plus Simms has played well. If Harrell shows anything over the next few days and does OK tomorrow night you make Simms the number 3, put Harrell on the PS and cut McElroy. 

Yep.  I am ignorant and stupid of education and human nature. LOL.  I don't right LOL lightly because it's a little gay even for me, but LOL.  Hasn't anybody ever successful learned on the job?  Is he going to learn fundamentals IN ONE ******* WEEK and be ready to start the season?  He is probably going to have to face live fire against the Bucs because Sanchez is hurt, so your plan is to put him in swaddling clothes and let him concentrate on fundamentals on the sidelines until the big day? This team doesn't have Favre.  We don't have that luxury.  He's a second round pick, not the ******* Mona Lisa. 

My guess is the announcement that Simms is starting tomorrow night means they think Sanchez will be ready for the Bucs. 

You don't keep McElroy, Simms and Harrell. If anything you keep one on the roster and put one on the practice squad. I'm pretty sure McElroy is not eligible for the practice squad, plus Simms has played well. If Harrell shows anything over the next few days and does OK tomorrow night you make Simms the number 3, put Harrell on the PS and cut McElroy. 

I didn't say they would.  I said it would depend upon what they think of each of them as to which one would be cut.  I think Simms is the only one who is PS eligible.

Since Harrell has been on the Packers roster for 3 years, I don't think he is PS eligible.

Can we put Sanchez on the practice squad?

If you play Geno tomorrow and Vlad Ducasse misses a block that gets Geno's ankle broken by a soon-to-be truck driver, and Sanchez isn't ready to start Week One, the tsunami of negative press that will overtake Florham Park will be apocalyptic.

If you play Geno tomorrow and Vlad Ducasse misses a block that gets Geno's ankle broken by a soon-to-be truck driver, and Sanchez isn't ready to start Week One, the tsunami of negative press that will overtake Florham Park will be apocalyptic.

Is there any difference if that were to happen week 1?

We're acting as if we're the Packers. The Jets suck...play everyone.

Which starting receivers and OL do you want to start with him?  Trotting out our starters against the Eagles backups isn't going to help much.  If you want him to be out there with our 2nd and 3rd stringers, then it's a good thing we signed Harrell yesterday as we'll need that extra QB for when Geno gets blasted by a 4th DE trying to make a name for himself and stick on the Eagles 53 man roster.

Ducasse NEEDS all the extra reps he can get, Winters also, you sit Mangold, Colon, and Dbrick after the 1st series, and let Geno play with Ducasse, Winters, J Smith, Hunter, and they should have kept Peterman until Friday, screw giving him a fair chance to catch on with another team veteran courtesy BS. 

Is there any difference if that were to happen week 1?

We're acting as if we're the Packers. The Jets suck...play everyone.

The difference is that he'll be playing Geno voluntarily on Thursday. The whole organization will get steamrolled if it happens.

The difference is that he'll be playing Geno voluntarily on Thursday. The whole organization will get steamrolled if it happens.

Both Luck and WIlson played in their preseason finales last year. 

The Jets are already considered nuclear by the media. Playing a guy who clearly needs the work, especially one who's probably going to start the season...who cares if the media kills you?

I wonder what the injury rate is for wk-4 preseason versus wk-1 regular. 

In the regular season opener, you have elite athletes coming after you, for realsies... But you also have better athletes protecting you. 

In the preseason finale, you have last-chance guys willing to concuss themselves for that NFL paycheck, and you have less able teammates protecting you. 

Both Luck and WIlson played in their preseason finales last year.

The Jets are already considered nuclear by the media. Playing a guy who clearly needs the work, especially one who's probably going to start the season...who cares if the media kills you?

Fair points. I guess it's just that, in all my years of watching this team, this is the worst overall environment I've ever witnessed around this team. Literally every segment of the team is working in contrast with every other segment. The big story this week was one member of the media getting rolled by another member of the media. The whole thing is Thunderdome already and we haven't even played a game.

Fair points. I guess it's just that, in all my years of watching this team, this is the worst overall environment I've ever witnessed around this team. Literally every segment of the team is working in contrast with every other segment. The big story this week was one member of the media getting rolled by another member of the media. The whole thing is Thunderdome already and we haven't even played a game.

Either you have a very short memory or you weren't paying attention.  The only thing that makes this seem true is the constant media access.  Walt Michaels drinking?  Joe Must Go.  Gastineau bailing then coming back?  Kotitte?  This isn't even close.

Either you have a very short memory or you weren't paying attention. The only thing that makes this seem true is the constant media access. Walt Michaels drinking? Joe Must Go. Gastineau bailing then coming back? Kotitte? This isn't even close.

People felt bad for the Kotite Jets Era. It was an embarrassment. But the outright vitriol toward this team and everything this team touches makes it worse. I knew that everyone in the media would pile on Rex because everyone likes to kill people who talk the talk but can't walk the walk, but this is much more than I imagined. God forbid they get blown out by Tampa. It'll get scary.

DId you see our offense last season? Did you see Geno on Saturday? They need all the practice they can get.

So you're ok with the chance that Geno gets hurt and Matt Simms or Graham Harrell is the opening day starter?  I don't think the Jets front office is...

People felt bad for the Kotite Jets Era. It was an embarrassment. But the outright vitriol toward this team and everything this team touches makes it worse. I knew that everyone in the media would pile on Rex because everyone likes to kill people who talk the talk but can't walk the walk, but this is much more than I imagined. God forbid they get blown out by Tampa. It'll get scary.

Difference is that no one expects the Jets to do well this year - in 1995 believe or not, there was some optimism before the season began only to be crushed by half time of opening day against the Broncos...

I welcome it.

But.. who cares?  It's not like having a bad season and the Florios and Mehtas of the the world having a field day is unexpected.

Here's what I see happening: the offense is abysmal, Rex gets fired and everyone makes fun of the Jets.  The interesting part is how the idiot manchild of an owner deals with the situation.  If it reaches the level of humiliation that you predict, Woody might just fire everyone and go after Cowher or whatever big name is out there. 

Yep. I am ignorant and stupid of education and human nature. LOL. I don't write LOL lightly because it's a little gay even for me, but LOL. Hasn't anybody ever successful learned on the job? Is he going to learn fundamentals IN ONE ******* WEEK and be ready to start the season? He is probably going to have to face live fire against the Bucs because Sanchez is hurt, so your plan is to put him in swaddling clothes and let him concentrate on fundamentals on the sidelines until the big day? This team doesn't have Favre. We don't have that luxury. He's a second round pick, not the ******* Mona Lisa.

This

I dont get it...sooooo

If 6 is healthy, its ok to play 7 with the 2's & 3's...but being 6 hurt we cant possibly risk injury to 7? Who gives a ****! This season is going to be a ****in tragedy regardless!

I honestly don't think this team is going to be that bad.  I don't know if they will play well enough to save Ryan's job, but I don't see this being a historically bad team.  They can still crush weak offenses and with Mornhinweg they should be able to move the ball a bit. That's a double edged sword in that opening up the O could mean TONS of turnovers and hurt the D, but I don't see why you all seem to think it HAS to be worse than last year.  Why? No Revis and Holmes?  Ha.  No Tebow?  I probably liked Shonn Greene and Keller more than anybody on this board and I don't see their departures as any big deal.

I honestly don't think this team is going to be that bad. I don't know if they will play well enough to save Ryan's job, but I don't see this being a historically bad team. They can still crush weak offenses and with Mornhinweg they should be able to move the ball a bit. That's a double edged sword in that opening up the O could mean TONS of turnovers and hurt the D, but I don't see why you all seem to think it HAS to be worse than last year. Why? No Revis and Holmes? Ha. No Tebow? I probably liked Shonn Greene and Keller more than anybody on this board and I don't see their departures as any big deal.

Every QB with experience and a pulse shredded the D last year. The only bad/young QBs they'll face through the first ten weeks are in Buffalo and Tennessee. Otherwise, they're playing against Brady and Brees and Ryan and Roethlisberger and Flacco, etc. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Archived