Matt Simms to start Thursday

RSJ

Yeah, but is Geno that much better then them? Not based on what I have seen. More important that he gets reps, then worry about injury, imho.

Well, Geno is the one they want to find out about.  Obviously they think he's the only one on the roster that may be "the future".  This season is a losing one either way, and I don't think they want Geno behind the 2nd team Oline, and they don't want the 1st team Oline out there.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Geno is the one they want to find out about.  Obviously they think he's the only one on the roster that may be "the future".  This season is a losing one either way, and I don't think they want Geno behind the 2nd team Oline, and they don't want the 1st team Oline out there.

Idk dude. I think its more important the get a QB ready for opening day then it is to worry about injury. Maybe based on the heat Rex received they are doing it this way - but from a football perspective it makes no sense.

I don't necessarily agree with this logic, but I think the general idea behind there being a higher-than-normal concern over injury risk in week 4 of the preseason is given the tendency for there to be the highest volume of bottom of the roster guys roaming the field who don't really know what they're doing while trying to impress the coaches, on both sides of the field, increasing the risk.  Theoretically, you'd have more guys teeing off on QBs (to make an impression) and more opportunities for it to happen given the poorer inherent pass protection (a combination of which we saw in full force on Saturday).

I tend to agree it's a bit much to handle such things with fear when you're talking about a game like football (which is why I didn't really have a problem with them playing Sanchez), but that seems to be the general concern.

To me this clearly tells me that Geno is starting week 1, and they feel he is ready and does not need to prove anything else in preseason. I just cannot see any other scenario where this happens, unless they legitimately want to give Simms a shot to win the job this week, which does not make any sense unless he is playing with the ones. 

To me this clearly tells me that Geno is starting week 1, and they feel he is ready and does not need to prove anything else in preseason. I just cannot see any other scenario where this happens, unless they legitimately want to give Simms a shot to win the job this week, which does not make any sense unless he is playing with the ones.

maybe they figure, "Well, if he can not get killed behind the 2s and 3s..."

Terribly. But that started in April of 2009.

I would argue that it started waaaay before that. I don't think the Jets have handled the QB position well since, well, Namath? Maybe you can argue that when Parcells was here that Vinny was handled properly with whats his name, the guy who went to the Panthers and then the Dolphins, but really it has been a very long time since this team has had a clue with the QB position, hence the results they have had since Namath.

What makes you say that?  That would seem to be the exact opposite of the conclusion that I would draw from this move.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't even an Anti-Sanchez thing as I agree that, health permitting, he'd probably be the guy to start week 1.  That said, if Geno is already set in stone as the #2 there's no reason they would be worried about playing him tomorrow.  If anything, this would suggest that their top priority for Geno right now is his health, meaning they think he might have to start vs Tampa.

That's not to say I agree with that approach, but it would seem the most likely reason for not playing him.

This is my completely uneducated guess.  They think Sanchez will be ready and plan on him to start week 1.  Because of that they are not particularly concerned with Geno getting live snaps immediately, but they are worried about getting Geno hurt because while Sanchez *should* be ready, he might not or might suffer a setback during the game.  Unlike the board, the team may not be so excited about Matt Simms, aka Jeff Tuel, getting in live game action.

I'm dumbfounded by how much hate Geno is receiving from so many Jets fans already.

How long have you been a Jets fan? Half if us hated him as soon as he showed up on the Jets radar monthes before the draft.

I personally didn't think he looked that good last year and wanted nothing to do with him but the Jets FO and fan base were so desperate to replace Sanchez they were grasping at straws.

Good, now go back and read your posts about Rex Ryan over the last four days. 

I havent killed Rex over the Sanchez injury. If this was truly a competition, there's no reason for Sanchez not to play with the two's. He's not above that. He's been rotating with the ones and two's all of camp.

This is my completely uneducated guess.  They think Sanchez will be ready and plan on him to start week 1.  Because of that they are not particularly concerned with Geno getting live snaps immediately, but they are worried about getting Geno hurt because while Sanchez *should* be ready, he might not or might suffer a setback during the game.  Unlike the board, the team may not be so excited about Matt Simms, aka Jeff Tuel, getting in live game action.

I sort of agree with this.  The last statement for sure, as I think there's zero chance the Jets have any intentions of going with anyone but Sanchez or Geno no matter what happens tomorrow.  As far as the other part, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that they felt good about Sanchez from this, but do agree that it's possible it could simply be a precaution for being unsure about his status.  I just don't really follow the line of thinking that would go beyond that to take this to mean they expect Sanchez to be ready.  If anything, this combined with the refusal to name a starter is more a matter of "we want to start Sanchez but don't know if we can" than anything else.

How long have you been a Jets fan? Half if us hated him as soon as he showed up on the Jets radar monthes before the draft.

I personally didn't think he looked that good last year and wanted nothing to do with him but the Jets FO and fan base were so desperate to replace Sanchez they were grasping at straws.

I will admit that I was so desperate for a QB not named Sanchez that I went all in on Geno. The fact that many draft boards had him in the top 5, and some as high as 1 overall had me very excited. I thought for once we really lucked out with him falling to us in the 2nd round, but I am starting to think there is a very good reason why he went where he did, and I wonder if we did not pick him, how low he would have fallen. There are a ton of teams who badly need QB help, and they all passed on him, and nobody traded up to get him, he could have fell to the 3rd round if we did not pick him. 

Since around December of O twelve. I was a Browns fan before that.

Could you at least give him a chance? Like a couple games. A quarter?  

Good, now go back and read your posts about Rex Ryan over the last four days. 

This is 100% right on man!

Rex and Jets management cannot win with a lot of you guys here and the media. If he played Geno and the first team OL he would get KILLED. Look at the Sanchez reaction and that was in the 3rd preseason game. Now you want starters to play in the 4th?

Rex and Jets management cannot win with a lot of you guys here and the media. If he played Geno and the first team OL he would get KILLED. Look at the Sanchez reaction and that was in the 3rd preseason game. Now you want starters to play in the 4th?

yep.

This. So this.

The media is going to create a narrative regardless. From a football standpoint, if Geno's starting against the Bucs- he needs as many live reps with the starters as he can get.

"We absolutely have to play Geno, because he needs the reps and might be our Week 1 starter, but we absolutely can't play Geno, because he might get hurt, which we can't have, because the other guy who might be our Week 1 starter already got hurt when I put him in with the twos last week" is such a perfect distillation of Rex's handling of the offense that it should be chiseled on his tombstone.

"We absolutely have to play Geno, because he needs the reps and might be our Week 1 starter, but we absolutely can't play Geno, because he might get hurt, which we can't have, because the other guy who might be our Week 1 starter already got hurt when I put him in with the twos last week" is such a perfect distillation of Rex's handling of the offense that it should be chiseled on his tombstone.

lol

The media is going to create a narrative regardless. From a football standpoint, if Geno's starting against the Bucs- he needs as many live reps with the starters as he can get.

They already have - "no matter what Rex does, it's wrong and will be the reason he gets fired."

Based on that alone I want the Jets to make the playoffs and have Rex hold a press conference where he moons the beat writers and tells them to pucker the **** up. 

Archived