The NFL is the league of parity. Or is it?

JustInFudge

I was listening to some radio talk show yesterday when I was cruising around and essentially, they were having the great debate of how the NFL is king compared to the NCAA because its a league of parity and all teams are on an even playing field.  Whereas College isnt because some teams have more means than others which gives them a recruiting advantage. Which is true but a separate debate.  

They went on to talk about how in the NFL, any team could win the SB this season and went on to name teams that couldnt (Jets, Jags, Raiders)...and that's all they could come up with, which was funny.

So I started to think about it, especially in the AFC. Only 5 teams have represented the conference in the championship game since 2003 the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Ravens.  The last time a team other than those 5 played in the conference championship was the Titans vs. the Raiders in 2002.  Interestingly enough, the year before that, Pats vs. Steelers.

So, with only 5 teams essentially appearing in the championship game every year for the last decade...is it really a league of parity?  I guess the NFC is different and could apply since they've had some other teams sprinkled in with the Giants and Packers....49'ers, Saints, Vikings, Cardinals, Falcons...its more wide open it seems...but does anyone really see a team other than the 49'ers, Falcons or Green Bay getting the NFCCG this season?  I dont.

So, is the league really a league of parity or is a top heavy league with a whole slew of teams battling for the Wild Card? 

I was listening to some radio talk show yesterday when I was cruising around and essentially, they were having the great debate of how the NFL is king compared to the NCAA because its a league of parity and all teams are on an even playing field.  Whereas College isnt because some teams have more means than others which gives them a recruiting advantage. Which is true but a separate debate.  

They went on to talk about how in the NFL, any team could win the SB this season and went on to name teams that couldnt (Jets, Jags, Raiders)...and that's all they could come up with, which was funny.

So I started to think about it, especially in the AFC. Only 5 teams have represented the conference in the championship game since 2003 the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Ravens.  The last time a team other than those 5 played in the conference championship was the Titans vs. the Raiders in 2002.  Interestingly enough, the year before that, Pats vs. Steelers.

So, with only 5 teams essentially appearing in the championship game every year for the last decade...is it really a league of parity?  I guess the NFC is different and could apply since they've had some other teams sprinkled in with the Giants and Packers....49'ers, Saints, Vikings, Cardinals, Falcons...its more wide open it seems...but does anyone really see a team other than the 49'ers, Falcons or Green Bay getting the NFCCG this season?  I dont.

So, is the league really a league of parity or is a top heavy league with a whole slew of teams battling for the Wild Card? 

What's really insane is that the Jets are one of those five teams. And it's actually seven teams because the Broncos made it in 05/06 and the Chargers made it in 07/08

What's really insane is that the Jets are one of those five teams. And it's actually seven teams because the Broncos made it in 05/06 and the Chargers made it in 07/08

Good call.  I was reading the page wrong when I was looking up the Championship game match ups.

So 7 teams, but tons of repeat customers.  

hard to say. yes, in theory, but I would add that the teams mentioned have had certain long term advantages the others haven't. the Steelers are run well with a good QB. Colts and Patriots have each had a QB that comes along once or twice in a generation, and both were, for the most part, healthy for the majority of their careers. the Colts might have another. Ravens have benefitted from a solid defense led by Ray Lewis for the last decade. and the Jets are in a big market, which always helps with financial competitiveness.

great salary cap/value and draft is great

everyone has a chance of getting their tom brady just doesnt always happen that way. But the chance makes it fair no matter the results

if this was basketball where plays choose where to go like its nothing then itd be a different story

The league is modeled pretty well for parity, however, the one variable that breaks the model is the supply of quality quarterbacks.

Teams with quarterbacks win, those without are called the Jets.

That pretty much sums it up right there.  While you see the occasional team have some relative success without a quality QB, it will still only get them so far and never lasts for too long, especially not in today's pass-happy NFL.  Unless there suddenly becomes an influx of quality QBs, or rule changes start to go in the opposite direction and more in favor of the defense, that's not going to change one bit.

great salary cap/value and draft is great

everyone has a chance of getting their tom brady just doesnt always happen that way. But the chance makes it fair no matter the results

if this was basketball where plays choose where to go like its nothing then itd be a different story

Technically, if NFL players wanted to consult with each other and join teams together, it could happen assuming the team could afford them.

Archived